Call A Veteran Today

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
My big brother took the time to call me and wish me a happy Veteran's Day and thank me for my service. The one guy that I least expected would do that. So everyone, if you have a veteran in the family....give them a call. You'd be surprised how much it will brighten their day.

359721~1.JPG

364135~1.JPG

366712~1.JPG

353753~1.JPG

Go to a Veterans' cemetery and put a penny on as many stones as you can. This will tell the Veterans' families that you cared enough to visit. The Meaning Behind Coins on Military Graves This is what I plan on doing today, wishing I could be at my late Veteran husband's grave today.

Donate to a program that puts wreaths/flags on all of the Veterans' graves.

Last edited:

To lighten the mood, I got wonderful news.

I just got back from paying my respects at the South Dakota Veterans' Cemetery. As I mentioned, I like going and placing pennies on the Veterans' headstones.

While there, I noticed that some of the service members have their spouses buried next to them! I don't know why I didn't assume this is possible. I already have a space to be buried next to my husband in Washington State, in the Veterans' section of a private cemetery. I was reluctant to move my husband's remains to the Veterans' Cemetery here because of my uninformed assumption, and now I know I can do that and I'll be able to visit his grave regularly, which I've deeply missed being able to do since I moved.

And best is knowing that my husband will not have to be buried in corrupt ground!

First of all, Happy Veterans Day and thank you to ALL of the veterans who served in our military.

Secondly, a number of off topic posts were deleted as well as some thread bans issued.

Let's keep it on the topic that the thread was intended for, which is honoring those who served.

Thanks

On my life this is a true story....
A man I worked with from around 1984 - 1997, his name was Phil K. Kern
He was a newspaper pressman from 1974 - 1997.
He served 13 months in Vietnam. He was a helicopter gunner.
His service generally was delivering soldiers to a location, and picking up any wounded.
One day, they were sent to retrieve wounded. Upon landing, there was not enough room for all of the wounded. Despite being ordered not to, Phil took one of the soldiers weapons some ammunition and ran into the bush. He gave up his spot so a wounded soldier he had never met, and never knew who he was after either.
Phil spent the next 36 hours hiding in a small crevice in a wooded area with enemy soldiers within ear shot. No food, and no water. To his relief the enemy soldiers left the area. His fellow crew members were anxiously waiting for the area to cool off so they could go back and get him.

This is Phil, what a real hero looks like. Just a simple man who risked his own life, sacrificed his safe spot, so another soldier could get the help he needed.

335664638_731413401847784_8902604763496327830_n.jpg

On my life this is a true story....
A man I worked with from around 1984 - 1997, his name was Phil K. Kern
He was a newspaper pressman from 1974 - 1997.
He served 13 months in Vietnam. He was a helicopter gunner.
His service generally was delivering soldiers to a location, and picking up any wounded.
One day, they were sent to retrieve wounded. Upon landing, there was not enough room for all of the wounded. Despite being ordered not to, Phil took one of the soldiers weapons some ammunition and ran into the bush. He gave up his spot so a wounded soldier he had never met, and never knew who he was after either.
Phil spent the next 36 hours hiding in a small crevice in a wooded area with enemy soldiers within ear shot. No food, and no water. To his relief the enemy soldiers left the area. His fellow crew members were anxiously waiting for the area to cool off so they could go back and get him.

This is Phil, what a real hero looks like. Just a simple man who risked his own life, sacrificed his safe spot, so another soldier could get the help he needed.

View attachment 856889

So rarely we get to meet the real heroes! I wonder if Mr. Kern ever got to shake hands with one of those wounded men, any one of whom could have been saved by his selflessness.

Thanks for sharing this story.

Forum List

Back