California Democrats Initiate Fine for Owning an Electrical Vehicle

Dunno where you are at, but around here, if you make more power than you use, you can sell the extra to the power company.
ten cents on the dollar.

Democrats are already working on fining people for having solar on their homes.

The left hates the environment.
Better not be caught riding a bicycle on the road.

Why not? I ride my Lemond on a regular basis.
You're using the roads and not paying gas taxes to do it. That's evil.

Wrong. I also drive. Besides, bicycles have almost zero impact on the roads. They aren't heavy enough to make potholes.
You are denying the state revenue every time you don't drive your car. Bad citizen.

Water freezing and thawing, not just traffic, contributes heavily to potholes. That's why you see them in the spring more than any other time.

ten cents on the dollar.

Wrong. I also drive. Besides, bicycles have almost zero impact on the roads. They aren't heavy enough to make potholes.
You are denying the state revenue every time you don't drive your car. Bad citizen.

Water freezing and thawing, not just traffic, contributes heavily to potholes. That's why you see them in the spring more than any other time.

Yeah, the freezing and thawing do create the cracks in the asphalt, but it's the impact of 2,000 plus lb. vehicles driving over them that causes them to break apart even more.

If I'm not mistaken they did this here in Washington state as well. Seems to me the people are being penalized for their efforts.

And WASH is #2 state highest gas tax.

To use 100 gal/mo in WASH costs you ~$50/mo state tax ($600/yr). A long commute or a low MPG car will use that much.

Add $18/mo to pay the FED tax also at $0.18/gal.

View attachment 112693

I wouldn't doubt it.......but I am surprised to see that we are second to PA. I had expected to see CA higher than ours. Usually actual price at the pump here is just a few cents cheaper than CA's gas. Like a few years ago & CA's gas was at or more than $5 per gallon? We were running $4.80-ish & up

nobody cares about electric cars. They will sell about 140,000 of them this year ( maybe ). Ford alone will sell more than 1 million trucks. In fact, Ford has built more F150 trucks this year alone than EVs will be sold for the whole year!:coffee:

Who's not winning?

Shows you the left does not even believe their own BS about fighting global warming.
Like cigarettes, you tax things that you want people to stop using. $100 this year, more next year and the more after that.

Bill Text - SB-1 Transportation funding.

Funny as hell;

Tax Californians to death and give it to those who purchase these death traps.. Then, due to the impact on the electrical grid and consumption, they want to tax them heavily to build a bigger capacity grid.

The tax man taketh away right after he gives it to someone else.. who will it be this week (who will be the winner or looser?)

You think Tesla's are death traps or all EV? Do you have some data to justify that contention? And the money being collected is being used to support roadway infrastructure, not the electrical grid. You and honesty are complete strangers, aren't you.

If I'm not mistaken they did this here in Washington state as well. Seems to me the people are being penalized for their efforts.
Not at all. Keeping our roads in drivable condition is expensive. Charging the people that use them only makes sense. The EV's use them, but do not pay any gasoline tax, which is used for the maintenance of the roads. So, a $100 fee on registration, is very fair and reasonable.

Yeah, if the EV's use the roads, but no gas, they aren't paying their fair share of road taxes. I thought that conservatives were all about everyone paying their fair share.

If you drive a Tesla, you are NOT PAYING ANY GAS TAXES which, if memory serves, provide funding for roads, bridges, tunnels and whatnot. And yet...they USE the roads, bridges, tunnels and whatnot, just as much as a gas or Diesel-powered vehicle.

California does a lot of crazy shit, but this particular shit makes sense to me.
do they charge at those charging stations?

When I was working at a BIG company..........the charging stations right up front were FREE. As were the ones at the back and side doors. I walked by and would wonder........"when are you going to have scan your badge"?

One guy said he had an charging locator app on his phone.........Roadside rest stops? free? not sure?
But this guy was never concerned about his ~250 mile range.
For most people, especially in the urban areas, that is not a problem. You plug in at night at home, and very seldom use the chargers except on trips. On the Interstates, there are plenty of Superchargers now, and many motels and hotels feature slower chargers for overnight charging.

I think that by 2025, that range will be at least 500 miles, and will no longer be a concern.

Yep. The left tell you to go electric, give you financial incentives, then pull the rug from under you while laughing what a fool you are to pay so much more for an electric vehicle.

What part of electric vehicles don't pay gas taxes because they don't use gas do you not get? And, since they don't pay gas taxes (which are used to keep the roads maintained), they have to be taxed some other way, and the solution they came up with was a 100 dollar tax on electric vehicles when they are registered. And, further back on the thread, someone figured out what a person who drove 30 miles/day would pay in a year on gas taxes and it came out to 216 dollars.

Electric vehicles are getting a good deal IMHO.
Democrats tax electrical vehicles now because they do not want people buying them.
The left closes the most CO2 friendly power plants and now goes after electric vehicles.
The left hate the environment.

If posters were smart they would not take your bait.

You damn well know the tax is to get electric car owners to pay into the system like petro driver's do when they fill at the pump.

If you own one of those electric cars and use the road then by damn you should pay and one hundred dollars is low...
Fining people for having solar on their homes is next.
Not paying their fair share for maintaining the grid.
The more you post, the dumber you sound. Perhaps you should just shut up before everyone sees you as completely stupid.

ten cents on the dollar.

This had crossed my paranoid mind also. If you live in a Sunny state, I had began to surmise that they would NOT ALLOW you to sell your home until you installed "approved" Solar. Yes, I am sure they are working on it.

In addition........I have seen the additional "mileage tax" floated. In fact I though ORE or WASH had it in place?
If you drive a lot........you will pay more. They will get into your Odometer. They are coming for that.

If you drive a lot with a gas engine, you will pay more than someone who doesn't drive a lot, because the more you drive, the more gas you use.
Typical electric bill in San Diego is $500 a month. Plugging in your car every night doubles that because of the tiered rates.
Well now, if you put solar on your roof, you can get away from that cost. So, if you are talking about a $1000 electric bill a month, then a 10 kw system will pay for itself in about 15 to 18 months. Add three Powerwalls to this, and in about 30 months you have paid for the whole thing, and, for the 8 year guarantee of the Powerwalls, 5 years if free. And the solar roof is guaranteed for 25 to 30 years. Guaranteed to have more than 80% of the original generation power. In reality, will probably generate significantly for longer than your lifespan.

Grid tie Solar Power Systems for your home - Grid-tie Home Solar Panel Systems

Fining people for having solar on their homes is next.
Not paying their fair share for maintaining the grid.

Dunno where you are at, but around here, if you make more power than you use, you can sell the extra to the power company.
ten cents on the dollar.

Given the stress put on the road by a bicycle as compared to an auto or truck, what do you propose the bicycles pay? $0.50 a year might be appropriate.

nobody cares about electric cars. They will sell about 140,000 of them this year ( maybe ). Ford alone will sell more than 1 million trucks. In fact, Ford has built more F150 trucks this year alone than EVs will be sold for the whole year!:coffee:

Who's not winning?
The ICE's are not winning. As the EV's increase their range, and more companies bring out different vehicles, the EV's will take an increasingly large portion of the market. Just like the hybrids.

Given the stress put on the road by a bicycle as compared to an auto or truck, what do you propose the bicycles pay? $0.50 a year might be appropriate.

Well they do paint the paths green nowdays. And all that extra dotted striping, signs, enforcement etc. There is some cost.

I have biked a lot. The bike lanes "in town" are un-rideable in almost every state. Debri Debri Debri. Flat tires if you have a 700C skinny road-bike tire (high pressure). If you want to ride "in the gutter" with the garbage..........feel free. It ain't no fun. I rode on edge of right lane. Cars don't like it. Some will literally attack you. Eventually I ended up a "mountain fairy" off on fat tires into the dirt. No cars.

City road-biking. no fun, too dangerous. stoplights too. If you commute to work and go early? maybe. but then it is mostly cold and dark. Coming home in rush hour? forget it. Don't get me started or I post about a few who died.

Who's not winning?
The ICE's are not winning. As the EV's increase their range, and more companies bring out different vehicles, the EV's will take an increasingly large portion of the market. Just like the hybrids.
Fracking killed electric cars. No one will pay thousands more for a car that you can at best drive only 50 miles away with, costs a small fortuned in increased electrical bills and needs a new $600 battery every few years.

Who's not winning?
Fracking killed electric cars. No one will pay thousands more for a car that you can at best drive only 50 miles away with, costs a small fortuned in increased electrical bills and needs a new $600 battery every few years.
What the fuck are you talking about? In what way does frackting affect EV's? The range on the Leaf is 100 miles, on the Bolt, 200 miles, and on the Tesla, up to 300 miles. The battery is guaranteed for 8 years. And your increase in electrical bills will be far smaller than you would have paid for the gas in a standard ICE.

You get more shrill, and sillier with every post. And the batteries cost far more than $600 at present.

And Tesla sold 24,500 cars in the second quarter of 2016. That is more than all the luxury sedans, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, ect. put together. And the car is made in America by Americans.

Who's not winning?
What the fuck are you talking about? In what way does frackting affect EV's? The range on the Leaf is 100 miles, on the Bolt, 200 miles, and on the Tesla, up to 300 miles. The battery is guaranteed for 8 years. And your increase in electrical bills will be far smaller than you would have paid for the gas in a standard ICE.

You get more shrill, and sillier with every post. And the batteries cost far more than $600 at present.

And Tesla sold 24,500 cars in the second quarter of 2016. That is more than all the luxury sedans, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, ect. put together. And the car is made in America by Americans.
Fake news brought to you buy fake testing, aka Volkswagen gas mileage. Unrealistic driving in perfect temperatures.

How Far (Literally) Can the Electric Car Go?

Only a leftard idiot wants to pay $35,000 for a tin can that won't fit you and a weeks groceries in when oil will remain at $50 for decades.

Who's not winning?

Fake news brought to you buy fake testing, aka Volkswagen gas mileage. Unrealistic driving in perfect temperatures.

Only a leftard idiot wants to pay $35,000 for a tin can that won't fit you and a weeks groceries in when oil will remain at $50 for decades.

Hate to tell you, but Tesla makes 4 door sedans with pretty decent trunk space. You can fit a family of 4 (possibly 5 if the kids are small), AND put the groceries for a week (about 5 to 8 bags) in the trunk.

Who's not winning?

Hate to tell you, but Tesla makes 4 door sedans with pretty decent trunk space. You can fit a family of 4 (possibly 5 if the kids are small), AND put the groceries for a week (about 5 to 8 bags) in the trunk.
Oh boy. $65,000 for a car the size of at Toyota Corrola

ten cents on the dollar.

You know, if they would install VIABLE (as in you can actually ride on them) bicycle lanes, I would have no problem with paying a 10 dollar license fee per year.

Only problem is............bike lanes are scarce, and when you DO have them, they don't connect you with the city very well. Here in Amarillo we have a very few bike lanes, and they are only on certain roads. We also have a bike path, but it's not in a very accessible area for most people, and it only runs from Georgia St. to Soncy, which is only about 3 miles.

And yeah, as Old Yeller pointed out, riding a bicycle on the roads is pretty sketchy at best. From late 1986, until 1999, I rode a bicycle everywhere and can attest to the way drivers in cities can be, as well as rednecks that see you biking out in the country.

But, like I said, if we had viable bike lanes that you can access at least 50 percent of the city by, as well as had bike lanes on major highways, I'd be cool with paying a fee.

At one time, there was talk of doing an interstate bike lane system using old railroad tracks that they don't use anymore. The program was called Rails to Trails, and I think it is now defunct.

Forum List

Back