California Democrats Initiate Fine for Owning an Electrical Vehicle

If you drive a Tesla, you are NOT PAYING ANY GAS TAXES which, if memory serves, provide funding for roads, bridges, tunnels and whatnot. And yet...they USE the roads, bridges, tunnels and whatnot, just as much as a gas or Diesel-powered vehicle.

California does a lot of crazy shit, but this particular shit makes sense to me.

So, the Republicans who demanded that automobile owners pay registration fees didn't want Americans to have automobiles?

If you drive a Tesla, you are NOT PAYING ANY GAS TAXES which, if memory serves, provide funding for roads, bridges, tunnels and whatnot. And yet...they USE the roads, bridges, tunnels and whatnot, just as much as a gas or Diesel-powered vehicle.

California does a lot of crazy shit, but this particular shit makes sense to me.
So what is the incentive to pay $8,000 more for a car?
And you are paying a HUGE payment and taxes on your electric bill.

Democrats are shutting down nuclear and electric cars, they hate the environment.

Gas tax is $0.18/gal?....big commuter....~30Kmi/yr (30mpg car)

To use 100 gal/mo would cost you $216 for a year gas tax.

$100 for a year sounds about avg for gas tax cost. Please keep them EV out of carpool lane. They re-charge on electric, batteries are hazardous waste too to make or to dispose-re-use. Nothing is free.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken they did this here in Washington state as well. Seems to me the people are being penalized for their efforts.

Damn! And I was thinking about learning to fly like Superman.

Electric cars don't use gas, so they need to get the money from electric vehicles somewhere. As someone posted further up the thread, for a gas vehicle, it could figure to be 216/year, which is half what gas engines pay.

I thought you conservatives wanted everyone to pay their fair share.

If I'm not mistaken they did this here in Washington state as well. Seems to me the people are being penalized for their efforts.

And WASH is #2 state highest gas tax.

To use 100 gal/mo in WASH costs you ~$50/mo state tax ($600/yr). A long commute or a low MPG car will use that much.

Add $18/mo to pay the FED tax also at $0.18/gal.

GasTaxMap-01-1024x980[1].png

Last edited:
When are they going to hit up bicycle riding hippies for not using gas? Skateboard taxes soon to follow?

do they charge at those charging stations?

do they charge at those charging stations?

When I was working at a BIG company..........the charging stations right up front were FREE. As were the ones at the back and side doors. I walked by and would wonder........"when are you going to have scan your badge"?

One guy said he had an charging locator app on his phone.........Roadside rest stops? free? not sure?
But this guy was never concerned about his ~250 mile range.

And what happens if....carmakers actually get mpg up to the mandated new cafe standard........eventually you will have to scrap the gas tax and go to a per mile tax tacked on to your tabs,,,,,.....

Yep. The left tell you to go electric, give you financial incentives, then pull the rug from under you while laughing what a fool you are to pay so much more for an electric vehicle.

What part of electric vehicles don't pay gas taxes because they don't use gas do you not get? And, since they don't pay gas taxes (which are used to keep the roads maintained), they have to be taxed some other way, and the solution they came up with was a 100 dollar tax on electric vehicles when they are registered. And, further back on the thread, someone figured out what a person who drove 30 miles/day would pay in a year on gas taxes and it came out to 216 dollars.

Electric vehicles are getting a good deal IMHO.

Yep. The left tell you to go electric, give you financial incentives, then pull the rug from under you while laughing what a fool you are to pay so much more for an electric vehicle.

What part of electric vehicles don't pay gas taxes because they don't use gas do you not get? And, since they don't pay gas taxes (which are used to keep the roads maintained), they have to be taxed some other way, and the solution they came up with was a 100 dollar tax on electric vehicles when they are registered. And, further back on the thread, someone figured out what a person who drove 30 miles/day would pay in a year on gas taxes and it came out to 216 dollars.

Democrats tax electrical vehicles now because they do not want people buying them.
The left closes the most CO2 friendly power plants and now goes after electric vehicles.
The left hate the environment.

Democrats tax electrical vehicles now because they do not want people buying them.
The left closes the most CO2 friendly power plants and now goes after electric vehicles.

If posters were smart they would not take your bait.

You damn well know the tax is to get electric car owners to pay into the system like petro driver's do when they fill at the pump.

If you own one of those electric cars and use the road then by damn you should pay and one hundred dollars is low...

No, they are taxing them when registered, because that is the only way to tax them for using the roads, they don't pay gas taxes because they don't use gas.

No, they are taxing them when registered, because that is the only way to tax them for using the roads, they don't pay gas taxes because they don't use gas.
Electric cars have not been using roads for the past 15 years?

The annual fine charged for having an electric vehicle now simply validates the left hate the environment.

If posters were smart they would not take your bait.

You damn well know the tax is to get electric car owners to pay into the system like petro driver's do when they fill at the pump.

If you own one of those electric cars and use the road then by damn you should pay and one hundred dollars is low...
Fining people for having solar on their homes is next.
Not paying their fair share for maintaining the grid.

Forum List

Back