California bill would make questioning school board members a crime

You’re lying again. The law says nothing about questioning. It addresses threats and harassment. Why you gotta lie Willis?
It's not hard to imagine such a law being stretched to the point of abuse against any criticism.

Especially since we have already seen exactly that sort of abuse happen, even without this proposed law—parents accused of threats and harassment, branded as terrorists, for rightfully expressing, at school board meetings, their objection to some of the sick shit that some schools are doing to their children. This bill appears to be intended to make that abuse easier.

Hard to defend Calif on many things, BUT... stopping the insane screaming demanding people who have zero experience in education,
and are just on a politically motivated over the top witch hunt to get there own very limited way.
Are you a teacher or in the education field?

Last edited:
Especially since we have already seen exactly that sort of abuse happen, even without this proposed law—parents accused of threats and harassment, branded as terrorists, for rightfully expressing, at school board meetings, their objection to some of the sick shit that some schools are doing to their children. This bill appears to be intended to make that abuse easier.
How did those “expressing” their objections express them? Was anybody arrested?

So you think it's fine to threaten or harrass school board members, or anybody else? You crazy MAGAs are more disgusting every day.
School Board members are public servants, NOT public masters. If they didn't want to be held responsible for their actions by the parents of their students, they shouldn't have run for the school board in the first place.

School Board members are public servants, NOT public masters. If they didn't want to be held responsible for their actions by the parents of their students, they shouldn't have run for the school board in the first place.

And they also should not dismiss the concerns of the parents who are their rightful masters, much less object to the parents even expressing these concerns.

Was it somehow legal to threaten these folks before? Otherwise this seems exactly like an attempt to stifle both speech and assembly.

It's not hard to imagine such a law being stretched to the point of abuse against any criticism.
It's a damn good thing my kids are grown.

I can think of a thousand ways to cause trouble for those idiots without even showing up.

It's a damn good thing my kids are grown.

I can think of a thousand ways to cause trouble for those idiots without even showing up.

Same, although my son goes to Berkeley, so..... :rolleyes:

I sent him to private school anyway, so if this kind of nonsense went on I'd have just yanked him out.

London cops just arrested a 16 year old autistic girl for calling a cop a lesbian.

A 16 year old Connecticut boy was arrested for what was said to be racist posts.

Very easy to imagine. Especially with the law being so vague.

Texas has an advantage of being so big that the urban centers still cannot consolidate total power to the major cities. I am thinking about moving there. My sister & brother in law just moved outside of Houston.
I highly recommend it!

I live in a Houston suburb so large and wealthy that it has its own office buildings and companies have relocated their so that it can get the best employees and not the type of wokesters that live near downtown in high-rise apartments to keep them far above the minorities they claim to love so much. It is very nice, and I was lucky to buy a home there two decades ago when they were affordable even for a teacher.

I teach in a highly industrialized suburb where the population is largely Hispanic and ESL, but their parents want them to learn at school, not be groomed.

And repubs need to have laws made because they act like uncivilized beasts at school board meetings.
1691969092264.gif

I am confused. You want to threaten teachers. Fuck you.
There shouldnt be any confusion here. The OP has made it clear that he agrees with right wingers acting like a pack of wild animals at school board meetings and if you disagree with him, you're a snowflake. This is exactly what I've been talking about why these types have no place in a civilized society. Perfect example.

No matter which dictionary you use, that’s pure fascism by Democrats. Straight out of the Stalin handbook. Next will be thought crimes.

California is poised to codify at the state level what the feds were once requested to do — that is, turn inquisitive parents into criminals for daring to question their school board representatives.

Senate Bill 596, introduced by Democratic State Senator Anthony Portantino in February and dubbed the “School Employees: Protection” act, expands an existing law “which makes it a misdemeanor for any ‘person’ to threaten or harass a school employee during the ‘course of [their] duties,'” according to the California Globe.

This expansion adds a penalty for creating a “substantial disorder” at any meeting of a public school board, charter school board, county board of education, and the California State Board of Education.

Although “substantial disorder” is not precisely defined, the bill notes that “course of conduct” is “a pattern of conduct composed of two or more acts over a period of time, however short … evidencing a continuity of purpose.”

Gone from the definition of “harassment” is “unlawful violence” and “credible threat of violence,” and in its place is “torments, or terrorizes.”

It’s not difficult to figure out what’s happening here. A concerned parent at a school board meeting asks a board member a question and reiterates it (thereby establishing a “course of conduct”) … and if the board member feels “tormented” the parent can be arrested and charged with a fine between $500 and $1,000 and face up to a year in jail.

This is split between school and parents but it's a amazingly unbiased take that is highly accurate on young people and schools.

Bills like this are created by people who want to raise generations of terrible people that are unable to function as adults.

Being held responsible for your actions and having violence threatened are two different things.

Forum List

Back