California as a warning for America

Harry, look who your talking about....rinata, bo, wry....hell, if hitler, or Mao were democrats they would vote for them, too.

And you have proof that we would do such a thing? Or are you just an idiot who makes shit up because it somehow makes you look tough?

These ARE the people who got Ca. in trouble. They know arnie is a RINO, but it's that "R". They forget that arnie doesn't legistlate, he just signs. it's the party in power with Ca. and that would be DEMOCRATS. They are the ones that LEGISLATE all the bullshit that gets passed in Ca.

We have REPUBLICANS representing us in Sacramento here in North San Diego Co. Maybe someday, when you actually learn something you will figure out that people are only allowed for vote for representatives from their own district....child.

BTW...our U.S. Representative is a Republican too.

Harry, look who your talking about....rinata, bo, wry....hell, if hitler, or Mao were democrats they would vote for them, too.

And you have proof that we would do such a thing? Or are you just an idiot who makes shit up because it somehow makes you look tough?

These ARE the people who got Ca. in trouble. They know arnie is a RINO, but it's that "R". They forget that arnie doesn't legistlate, he just signs. it's the party in power with Ca. and that would be DEMOCRATS. They are the ones that LEGISLATE all the bullshit that gets passed in Ca.

We have REPUBLICANS representing us in Sacramento here in North San Diego Co. Maybe someday, when you actually learn something you will figure out that people are only allowed for vote for representatives from their own district....child.

bo once again your looking embarrassingly stupid....sometimes you just might want to do a little research before you post, because your so fucking stupid to wing it on your own. Look at Navy's breakdown of who has the power in California. The republicans can't do much damage to your state....but your democrats can do much damage with a RINO as a gov. Please look up the redistricting that they did in Ca. It's no big secret on why they did what they did....it should have been criminal, but that's politics.
As far as you left wing nuts.....yes you would have voted for mao, or hitler if they were democrats...hell you would have voted for manson if he was a democrat.
I lived there for over 40 years and got out of the state because of people just like you, and all I have to say is good riddance. :lol:

bo once again your looking embarrassingly stupid....sometimes you just might want to do a little research before you post, because your so fucking stupid to wing it on your own. Look at Navy's breakdown of who has the power in California. The republicans can't do much damage to your state....but your democrats can do much damage with a RINO as a gov. Please look up the redistricting that they did in Ca. It's no big secret on why they did what they did....it should have been criminal, but that's politics.

And, moron, what do YOU expect me to do about it? I have a Republican in my district. Huh?

As far as you left wing nuts.....yes you would have voted for mao, or hitler if they were democrats...hell you would have voted for manson if he was a democrat.

Bullshit, and you know it. It was the Republicans who applauded Hitler before they had to do an about face after Pearl Harbor. But, you are simply showing what a partisan idiot you are....fit right in with the current Right wing, you do. So, I'm not surprised.

I lived there for over 40 years and got out of the state because of people just like you, and all I have to say is good riddance. :lol:

Sounds like a win/win situation. Thank you for leaving. :clap2:

The California State Legislature currently has a Democratic majority, with the Senate consisting of 25 Democrats and 15 Republicans; and the Assembly having 49 Democrats, 29 Republicans, 1 Independent, and 1 vacancy. Except for the period from 1995 to 1996, the Assembly has been in Democratic hands since the 1970 election

As long as everyone is talking about reponsiblity, and yes the Gov. has responsibility for the condition of the state that his policies have effected both good and bad since his election. However, California has been a state for the most part run by the Democrats for almost 40 years. Perhaps, if the situation in California is to change it would take actual change rather than more of the same and expecting change to happen.

I've always though CA should be split into two states. The reason the majority are Democrats is because of the three major cities, while there are hundreds of miles of agricultural and desert communities which are Republican strongholds, but don't have the sheer numbers to overcome the majority of Democrats in and around the metropolises. Those three cities (perhaps San Diego shouldn't really be included) attract all sorts of people with personal causes that they believe Democrats are more sympathetic to, as well as huge percentage of legal Mexicans who continue to live below the poverty line.

yea because whats happening in this state makes me feel so happy for Democrats being in charge.....another typical California VOTER....you non-Cali folks getting the idea yet of why this state is going under?....

On October 8, 2003, California's voters elected Arnold Schwarzenegger as Governor of California to straighten out the State's budget crisis. Back then, he said this:

"Today California has given me the greatest gift of all: You've given me your trust by voting for me. I will do everything I can to live up to that trust. I will not fail you."

So don't blame anybody but him that he did not succeed..
another example of a typical California voter....its ALL Arnies fault.....
who does he have to work with in Sacramento?.....yea i figured,you have no clue...do ya...and i think it has already been well established that Arnie caved in to those people 6 months into his term.....the same god damed people who have been fucking this state for the last decade....but Rinata you just keep on going out each election time and just keep on voting those same incompetent basterds back in.....because being a typical clueless apathetical California voter,i would not expect anything less of you....

I don't remember much about California politics when I lived there (the 70's), but I recall Republicans labeling Jerry Brown as a space cadet because he wasn't afraid to think outside the box and do some pretty radical things--like during the oil embargo, he literally ended long gas lines by an EO mandating odd-even license plate numbers for getting a fill-up. Can we imagine an edict like that having to go through the congressional process either on a state or national level?

But the governor is still the one who must sign off on legislation. I hope ya'll are remembering this conversation the next time you start blaming the POTUS for everything the legislature does, or everything Homeland Security doesn't do, or everything the CIA does AND doesn't do, etc., etc., etc.

The California State Legislature currently has a Democratic majority, with the Senate consisting of 25 Democrats and 15 Republicans; and the Assembly having 49 Democrats, 29 Republicans, 1 Independent, and 1 vacancy. Except for the period from 1995 to 1996, the Assembly has been in Democratic hands since the 1970 election

As long as everyone is talking about reponsiblity, and yes the Gov. has responsibility for the condition of the state that his policies have effected both good and bad since his election. However, California has been a state for the most part run by the Democrats for almost 40 years. Perhaps, if the situation in California is to change it would take actual change rather than more of the same and expecting change to happen.
They need to start by recinding the redistricting they did several years ago. That assured that there would be no change in the party makeup of each district.

Then they should do it in Texas too. In either case, redistricting can't be "rescinded" until the results of the next Census Report are in, so that puts it at 2012.

I've always though CA should be split into two states. The reason the majority are Democrats is because of the three major cities, while there are hundreds of miles of agricultural and desert communities which are Republican strongholds, but don't have the sheer numbers to overcome the majority of Democrats in and around the metropolises. Those three cities (perhaps San Diego shouldn't really be included) attract all sorts of people with personal causes that they believe Democrats are more sympathetic to, as well as huge percentage of legal Mexicans who continue to live below the poverty line.

That's about right when it comes to the voting I suppose Maggie in California, but as I have indicated, to simply blame the Gov. for Californias ills is to dismiss a whole host of problems most of which have been listed here. One thing that I am constantly amazed at when it comes to California is the number of people who complain about the budget mess there, and a number of other things, then turn around and continue to vote especially in the large metro areas for the same represenation and hope that somehow it will change. Take for instance The Speakers district, her main competetion in that district I dare say will not be a Republican but will be from someone more left than she is, and someone in favor of more spending and more legislation. Your talking about a district in which it has so much time on it's hands that it passes laws to regulate everything from radiation in cell phones, to paying for commercials on Air to encourage the fact that one city will in fact harbor illegals. I had the rare privledge of living in California a few times during my career and can tell you each time, when it comes to California state Govt. you just had to shake your head. However, I will say that California, is one of the most beautiful states in the nation it's been my rare privledge to visit , well outside the smog congested highways of the major cities and what really I found striking is all that legislation in California has done nothing at all to help that. One more thing on a side note. as we drive to California a lot each year from here, and it may just be an observation, but I have noticed that California has some of the worst roads in the nation when it comes to repair and condition. Just take a ride on I-8 someday and you will instantly know by the road when you have reached California,.

Did Enron's manipulation of California's energy have anything to do with the overall pending collapse of its financial situation? Was that event (not Enron's bogus bookkeeping) another one of those early writings on the wall (the first domino) that something needed to be done, fast, to protect the state's revenue investments or it would quickly get out of control?

I'm not sure. Californians? I think we tend to forget that part of Enron's horrendous existence. I know I have.

That's about right when it comes to the voting I suppose Maggie in California, but as I have indicated, to simply blame the Gov. for Californias ills is to dismiss a whole host of problems most of which have been listed here. One thing that I am constantly amazed at when it comes to California is the number of people who complain about the budget mess there, and a number of other things, then turn around and continue to vote especially in the large metro areas for the same represenation and hope that somehow it will change. Take for instance The Speakers district, her main competetion in that district I dare say will not be a Republican but will be from someone more left than she is, and someone in favor of more spending and more legislation. Your talking about a district in which it has so much time on it's hands that it passes laws to regulate everything from radiation in cell phones, to paying for commercials on Air to encourage the fact that one city will in fact harbor illegals. I had the rare privledge of living in California a few times during my career and can tell you each time, when it comes to California state Govt. you just had to shake your head. However, I will say that California, is one of the most beautiful states in the nation it's been my rare privledge to visit , well outside the smog congested highways of the major cities and what really I found striking is all that legislation in California has done nothing at all to help that. One more thing on a side note. as we drive to California a lot each year from here, and it may just be an observation, but I have noticed that California has some of the worst roads in the nation when it comes to repair and condition. Just take a ride on I-8 someday and you will instantly know by the road when you have reached California,.

Well, as I said early on in this thread, the CA legislature can't come to an agreement on spending cuts nor raising taxes, so it just continues limping along. If I REALLY wanted to derail this thread, I could ask whether or not people think California is too big to fail. Do states rights only apply when things are running swimmingly?

[And I agree about noticing the pavement on Interstates as you travel from state to state. I can tell by just the sound of my tires when I cross from Massachusetts into Vermont.]

Well, as I said early on in this thread, the CA legislature can't come to an agreement on spending cuts nor raising taxes, so it just continues limping along. If I REALLY wanted to derail this thread, I could ask whether or not people think California is too big to fail. Do states rights only apply when things are running swimmingly?

[And I agree about noticing the pavement on Interstates as you travel from state to state. I can tell by just the sound of my tires when I cross from Massachusetts into Vermont.]

I can tell you Maggie, that I don't think California is too big to fail, it's my belief that the belief that any entity is too big to fail is a big reason why spending on such things gets out of control, and in most cases does not stave off bankruptcy. Here is an example of a not being too big to fail..

Jefferson County, Alabama, may become the largest municipal bankruptcy in history. According to one of our panelists, “Jefferson County has to declare bankruptcy. The county needs protection from creditors, from bankers, from politicians--and from itself.” Having issued $3.2 billion in adjustable-rate sewer bonds, Jefferson County--in an attempt to hedge its interest rate risk--entered into $5.8 billion of interest rate swaps, more than any other U.S. county. This “hedged” position turned into huge losses as a result of financial market illiquidity, and the county now owes banks more than it can pay--an instructive example of how risks can migrate to municipalities. What are the lessons of Jefferson County? More generally, the housing bubble created good times for municipal finances through high property tax valuations and real estate transaction taxes. With the bubble now turned to bust, what other credit issues may emerge in the more than $2 trillion municipal finance sector? These and related questions will be addressed by panelists from the government, media, and private sectors.

AEI - The Largest Municipal Bankruptcy Ever?

In the case of California, though, a case can be made that Californians do pay a lot more in taxes to the Federal Govt. each year than they take in, however the state budget is in such a wreck at what point does the state legislature and the Gov. begin to curb the spending and legislation that cased the internal woes of the state in the first place. Sometimes in order to fix the problem it takes actually making hard choices needed to do so.

On October 8, 2003, California's voters elected Arnold Schwarzenegger as Governor of California to straighten out the State's budget crisis. Back then, he said this:

"Today California has given me the greatest gift of all: You've given me your trust by voting for me. I will do everything I can to live up to that trust. I will not fail you."

So don't blame anybody but him that he did not succeed..
another example of a typical California voter....its ALL Arnies fault.....
who does he have to work with in Sacramento?.....yea i figured,you have no clue...do ya...and i think it has already been well established that Arnie caved in to those people 6 months into his term.....the same god damed people who have been fucking this state for the last decade....but Rinata you just keep on going out each election time and just keep on voting those same incompetent basterds back in.....because being a typical clueless apathetical California voter,i would not expect anything less of you....

I don't remember much about California politics when I lived there (the 70's), but I recall Republicans labeling Jerry Brown as a space cadet because he wasn't afraid to think outside the box and do some pretty radical things--like during the oil embargo, he literally ended long gas lines by an EO mandating odd-even license plate numbers for getting a fill-up. Can we imagine an edict like that having to go through the congressional process either on a state or national level?
There's a really good chance he will be Governor again.

What you are describing pretty much happens everywhere....not just California. People complain about representation...but keep electing their own representatives...from Maine to Alaska.

I can tell you Maggie, that I don't think California is too big to fail, it's my belief that the belief that any entity is too big to fail is a big reason why spending on such things gets out of control, and in most cases does not stave off bankruptcy. Here is an example of a not being too big to fail..

Jefferson County, Alabama, may become the largest municipal bankruptcy in history. According to one of our panelists, “Jefferson County has to declare bankruptcy. The county needs protection from creditors, from bankers, from politicians--and from itself.” Having issued $3.2 billion in adjustable-rate sewer bonds, Jefferson County--in an attempt to hedge its interest rate risk--entered into $5.8 billion of interest rate swaps, more than any other U.S. county. This “hedged” position turned into huge losses as a result of financial market illiquidity, and the county now owes banks more than it can pay--an instructive example of how risks can migrate to municipalities. What are the lessons of Jefferson County? More generally, the housing bubble created good times for municipal finances through high property tax valuations and real estate transaction taxes. With the bubble now turned to bust, what other credit issues may emerge in the more than $2 trillion municipal finance sector? These and related questions will be addressed by panelists from the government, media, and private sectors.

AEI - The Largest Municipal Bankruptcy Ever?

In the case of California, though, a case can be made that Californians do pay a lot more in taxes to the Federal Govt. each year than they take in, however the state budget is in such a wreck at what point does the state legislature and the Gov. begin to curb the spending and legislation that cased the internal woes of the state in the first place. Sometimes in order to fix the problem it takes actually making hard choices needed to do so.

Hard choices like Prop 187 which was OVERWHELMINGLY voted in by those very same California voters people here like to bash....to have the FEDERAL courts shoot it down.

Forum List

Back