Las Vegas courthouse shooting

All over a social security payment. Very tragic

Can you give a source on this?

Back in the early 80s I accompanied a very old lady to the SS office in Las Vegas. The SS person that was supposed to help her was absolutely foul. She acted like the money was being deducted from her personal paycheck. However, Neither of us thought we should shoot anyone over it. I did tell the SS woman off, loudly, and kept the old lady for a couple of months. She was a great addition to the family, and fortunately the senior citizens' advocacy group there was able to help and so she was ok. It only took about two and a half months for the SS to get it together and get her money straight!

Las Vegas is a mess!

Death by police?

What I think happened:

Senior dementia, and he had moved from California, and was likely on a split (part SS and part SSI) payment, did not notify of the move timely and so had an overpayment. There is a difference, moving from one state to another, in the state portion of SSI so when it was all lowered, plus the 10% of check (total or combined) reduction to pay back the overpayment hit him, off of the already reduced payment, he appealed and lost, and he was looking at hungry and maybe homeless and he lost it.

My opinion, and a pensioner who may drink even a little, and maybe gambles a little, can really get in a crack in a place like LV..... That and mental health issues....maybe, not a good combo.

Death by police?

What I think happened:

Senior dementia, and he had moved from California, and was likely on a split (part SS and part SSI) payment, did not notify of the move timely and so had an overpayment. There is a difference, moving from one state to another, in the state portion of SSI so when it was all lowered, plus the 10% of check (total or combined) reduction to pay back the overpayment hit him, off of the already reduced payment, he appealed and lost, and he was looking at hungry and maybe homeless and he lost it.

My opinion, and a pensioner who may drink even a little, and maybe gambles a little, can really get in a crack in a place like LV..... That and mental health issues....maybe, not a good combo.

What? No incessant claims he was a right wing gun fanatic bent on bringing the Obama administration down?

The man had just moved to vegas a couple of months ago.

He came from Cali and didnt realize his SS would go down if he moved here.

He was a mentally Ill guy on his way to being homeless.

Very sad story all around.

did he not have to go through a security scanner to get in....i had to when i went into the federal court house out here....

Two people died and one is in the hospital.

One was a 72 year old las Vegas retired policeman. He was working as a guard and I think he was the first to confront the gunman. His freinds and family said he was Always smiling and everyone loved him. What a way for the guy to go.

The other person was the gunman and he was just a complete lost soul who was burned out and at his wits end.

Shame that this all had to happen.

I hope the remaining injured person A 48 year old guard recovers and it looks like they may.

Life is just so weird here in this crazy city (LV is my current home) and people often come to this town when they are at their wits end.

Forum List

Back