Calif Raises Cost of 1st Phase of Train to Nowhere by 35% to $10.6B

The entire route from LA to San Fran was to cost $9.95B when they suckered the voters into it. This is just for the first phase which is rural flat ground from Merced to Bakersfield. Mountains and urban areas would be the next phases, what are the odds they can do it in budget?

Leftism is a curse upon mankind.

The extra $2.8 billion comes on a 199-mile segment in the Central Valley that is partly under construction. The California High Speed Rail Authority board discussed the increase Tuesday.

The added cost is due to delays in obtaining rights of way and barriers needed along parts of the track, among other things.

It boosts the overall cost of the project to nearly $67 billion, which officials say they hope to recover later.

Cost Climbs By $2.8 Billion For California Bullet Train

I know someone personally who was on the board back in the 80's designing the Bart route ( Bay Area Rapid Transit)
There was a man on the board who owned many of the car dealerships..
This man made sure that it wouldn't be easy to get around the Bay area unless if you have a car..

It has taken more than 30 years to design bart to connect ( still under construction ) so people don't have to drive..

Damn corruption..

If you look at the commuter planes from SF to LA they are full..

This bullet train will open up the roads, connect the cities and with that less fuel and smog..

The ticket prices they charge don't come anywhere near to paying the operating costs of the system, let alone the cost of the capital used to build it.

Have you ever flown from SF to LA? I have, and to San Diego too many times. For example, driving to SFO, parking (for a fee), taking the shuttle and being (nearly strip searched) to get into the airport, flying 90 minutes + to LA, de-plaining and getting to the Rental Car (seems like miles from the terminal) and then getting into traffic on LA Streets to get to the LA Freeway System (many times gridlocked) was my experience.

It doesn't take a high school graduate to understand how rail can open up other opportunities along its route, sadly the doom and gloom crowd lacks such a vision.

I hate to state the obvious but if you are supposed to be on high speed rail you will be blowing by those "other opportunities" along the route. You do understand that...don't you? And get used to the strip searches at the train station too. As more people take the train the onerous security measures will follow just like clockwork. Have to keep those government drones employed don't ya know.

The entire route from LA to San Fran was to cost $9.95B when they suckered the voters into it. This is just for the first phase which is rural flat ground from Merced to Bakersfield. Mountains and urban areas would be the next phases, what are the odds they can do it in budget?

The extra $2.8 billion comes on a 199-mile segment in the Central Valley that is partly under construction. The California High Speed Rail Authority board discussed the increase Tuesday.

The added cost is due to delays in obtaining rights of way and barriers needed along parts of the track, among other things.

It boosts the overall cost of the project to nearly $67 billion, which officials say they hope to recover later.

I know someone personally who was on the board back in the 80's designing the Bart route ( Bay Area Rapid Transit)
This man made sure that it wouldn't be easy to get around the Bay area unless if you have a car..

It has taken more than 30 years to design bart to connect ( still under construction ) so people don't have to drive..

Damn corruption..

This bullet train will open up the roads, connect the cities and with that less fuel and smog..

The ticket prices they charge don't come anywhere near to paying the operating costs of the system, let alone the cost of the capital used to build it.

Have you ever flown from SF to LA? I have, and to San Diego too many times. For example, driving to SFO, parking (for a fee), taking the shuttle and being (nearly strip searched) to get into the airport, flying 90 minutes + to LA, de-plaining and getting to the Rental Car (seems like miles from the terminal) and then getting into traffic on LA Streets to get to the LA Freeway System (many times gridlocked) was my experience.

It doesn't take a high school graduate to understand how rail can open up other opportunities along its route, sadly the doom and gloom crowd lacks such a vision.

My son wears a pump for type 1 diabetes.. The air lines always pull him aside to pat him down which takes an extra 30-40 minutes .. And then they go through his insulin supplies..

I get that they have to do that, but how can anyone work after going through all of that after the air commute you described.

Damn corruption..

I hate to state the obvious but if you are supposed to be on high speed rail you will be blowing by those "other opportunities" along the route. You do understand that...don't you? And get used to the strip searches at the train station too. As more people take the train the onerous security measures will follow just like clockwork. Have to keep those government drones employed don't ya know.

I bet the terrorist are already planning for the grand opening , sad to say.

Damn corruption..

My son wears a pump for type 1 diabetes.. The air lines always pull him aside to pat him down which takes an extra 30-40 minutes .. And then they go through his insulin supplies..

I get that they have to do that, but how can anyone work after going through all of that after the air commute you described.

They will do eactly the same when he rides this boondoggle train.

Damn corruption..

Nope.

Damn corruption..

You will still have to go through security when you get on the train, You will have to rent a car, unless there's a stop right near your final destination. How is this train going to improve anything? It will take three hours to get from one end to the other, and that's without any stops along the way. Each stop will take at least 15 minutes.

All you brainiacs who think your schemes are the solution to society's problems never consider all the issues involved. Hard thinking businessmen have considered such projects and concluded they don't justify the cost.

You have no clue. All you ever have are opinions based on your biases. You have never flown from SF to LA, apparently. You have never been to Europe and traveled by train, and you are always nasty. Grow up.

Damn corruption..

Nope.
TSA has already anounced plans to have security to board AMTRAK trains like the Oceala.

Damn corruption..

You will still have to go through security when you get on the train, You will have to rent a car, unless there's a stop right near your final destination. How is this train going to improve anything? It will take three hours to get from one end to the other, and that's without any stops along the way. Each stop will take at least 15 minutes.

All you brainiacs who think your schemes are the solution to society's problems never consider all the issues involved. Hard thinking businessmen have considered such projects and concluded they don't justify the cost.

Right now you can get to San Francisco in a 1/2 with all of the stops on BART from Silicon Valley.. And this train is over 30 years old.

Also I bet that they will have a straight through to LA train options.

The price of a ticket for them to break even will have to be $5000. That's how fucking stupid these rail projects are. There is no mass transit system in the entire USA that is covering its costs.

So are you just making things up now? lol

A rail ride from Los Angeles to San Francisco – a popular route for 5 million air travelers a year – would cost $80 to $90, according to estimates. The trip would take less than three hours to complete

Which is a ludicrous claim. Just take a look at the cost projections and how they have ALWAYS been wildly low. The government record on predictions is laughably bad. But you people lap them up as if they are the gods own truth.

Yes I agree, but just like building a home it is almost impossible to really stay on budget. I could never afford it today. I built my home in 2000..

I will say that people are stupid greedy right now as far as construction in this area.. The rich in SF have kicked the low income,middle income out of affordable housing to build hi-rise condos for 3 million apartments.

No Trickle Down there..

And who runs SF? Hell, who runs all of the Bay Area? Face it the Dems are the Party of the rich and privileged.

More bias, and more ignorance. That's all you have to offer.

Damn corruption..

You have no clue. All you ever have are opinions based on your biases. You have never flown from SF to LA, apparently. You have never been to Europe and traveled by train, and you are always nasty. Grow up.

Every government run European rail system is losing money by the truckload.

You are a sucker. You believe the lies the government tells you.

I actually have flown from LA to SF and back, but it was a long time ago. I used to fly into SF dozens of times every year.

The price of a ticket for them to break even will have to be $5000. That's how fucking stupid these rail projects are. There is no mass transit system in the entire USA that is covering its costs.

A rail ride from Los Angeles to San Francisco – a popular route for 5 million air travelers a year – would cost $80 to $90, according to estimates. The trip would take less than three hours to complete

Which is a ludicrous claim. Just take a look at the cost projections and how they have ALWAYS been wildly low. The government record on predictions is laughably bad. But you people lap them up as if they are the gods own truth.

Yes I agree, but just like building a home it is almost impossible to really stay on budget. I could never afford it today. I built my home in 2000..

I will say that people are stupid greedy right now as far as construction in this area.. The rich in SF have kicked the low income,middle income out of affordable housing to build hi-rise condos for 3 million apartments.

No Trickle Down there..

And who runs SF? Hell, who runs all of the Bay Area? Face it the Dems are the Party of the rich and privileged.

Ok, ok, the Dems are the party of the rich top layer and those that think they're privileged on every layer below the rich.

Damn corruption..

I bet the terrorist are already planning for the grand opening , sad to say.

Yup. It's like Apple computers. The saying was that they were harder to hack when the reality is they are just as easy to hack, but because there were so few people using them it wasn't profitable for the hackers. As Apple usage increased so did the hacking. The same will be true for trains. If they ever get to the point where they are being used to the level of air travel the security measures will follow.

Any of you who go to Europe take the bullet train from Paris to St. Pancras in London (as i do every year). You will see LOTS of soldiers, all of whom are very heavily armed, guarding the train stations.

Always.

No Trickle Down there..

When presented with facts you resort to insults and lies. That's all you have to offer.

I'm sure there is no imcompetency, fraud, or waste in that project.

California is liberal paradise.

Damn corruption..

Personally I would rather take a train than fly.. Like Whycatcher said, flying is a pain in the ass..I have taken the flight myself..

I think this will be the way to travel across America in our future..

Damn corruption..

Right now you can get to San Francisco in a 1/2 with all of the stops on BART from Silicon Valley.. And this train is over 30 years old.

1/2 of what? I have both driven a car into SF and taken BART. I'd say the commute time is about the same. The main advantage of BART is that you don't have to find a place to park. That was about $20/day in downtown SF. I still had to get in my car, drive to the BART station. Pay to park there. then get on the train, go through about a dozen stops, until I finally arrived at my destination. Then I would have to walk about 10 blocks to the office.

Damn corruption..

True. Buses and Light Rail connect to BART, and Bart Connects to SFO and OAK. Even SMART will soon take riders from Sonoma to the Ferry in Marin, and the Ferry dock in SF will be short walk to BART and thus to airports around the world.

Damn corruption..

Personally I would rather take a train than fly.. Like Whycatcher said, flying is a pain in the ass..I have taken the flight myself..

I think this will be the way to travel across America in our future..

High speed rail across the USA would bankrupt the nation. I do support HSR, but only in very localized regions. Worldwide there are only a couple of the rail systems that actually pay for themselves. To do that you have to be very heavily used and there is a single line Japan that gets those numbers, and i think the paris to Toulon line can pay for itself. Other than that they are all money losers.

Even Mother Jones thinks the California systems is a waste.

High-Speed Rail Is a Waste of Time and Money

High-speed rail is a waste of time and money

CA is bankrupt so this is the only way the corrupt politicians and bureaucrats can keep their gravy train of graft going.

This is Boston's "big dig" on steroids.

Forum List

Back