Calif Raises Cost of 1st Phase of Train to Nowhere by 35% to $10.6B

The entire route from LA to San Fran was to cost $9.95B when they suckered the voters into it. This is just for the first phase which is rural flat ground from Merced to Bakersfield. Mountains and urban areas would be the next phases, what are the odds they can do it in budget?

Leftism is a curse upon mankind.

The extra $2.8 billion comes on a 199-mile segment in the Central Valley that is partly under construction. The California High Speed Rail Authority board discussed the increase Tuesday.

The added cost is due to delays in obtaining rights of way and barriers needed along parts of the track, among other things.

It boosts the overall cost of the project to nearly $67 billion, which officials say they hope to recover later.

Cost Climbs By $2.8 Billion For California Bullet Train

I know someone personally who was on the board back in the 80's designing the Bart route ( Bay Area Rapid Transit)
There was a man who owned many of the car dealerships..
This man made sure that it wouldn't be easy to get around the Bay area unless if you have a car..

It has taken more than 30 years to design bart to connect ( still under construction ) so people don't have to drive..

Damn corruption..

If you look at the commuter planes from SF to LA they are full..

This bullet train will open up the roads, connect the cities and with that less fuel and smog..

No one will take a 6 hour train when they can fly there in 45 minutes. Even with TSA it's a no-brainer, and the train will end up having a TSA inspection process as well.

And it won't be built. They can't even do it on flat ground in a rural area. What's going to happen when they reach the mountains? The cities with homes crammed in?

DOA just as I said when it was proposed.

A few years ago two reporters left SF to see who would get to LA faster one flew, one drove. The guy who drove beat the flyer to their destination by 35 minutes.

Now that is odd. I have both driven and flown from LA to SF many times. It is just over a six hour drive if you don't stop for gas or pee. It is an hour and 15 minute flight. Even if you consider early arrival for check in, there is no way a driver can match, much less beat flight time.

A laughable assertion. If the intent was as you claim they would have followed the I5 corridor, instead they are following Highway 99. LOTS of stops at towns that no one go's to from LA. Further they aren't laying new track, they are merely rehabbing freight rail, so there go's the claim of high speed. It is a farce that relies on ignorant people who don't understand the lies they are being told, and clearly, in your case, you don't even care to educate yourself on the subject.

They are connecting all of the major cities.. of course there will be stops.. but it will take 21/2 hours to get to LA..
Right now the only transport is a Bus, expensive plane which takes 1/2 of a day..Or drive 10 hours..

California High-Speed Rail (abbreviated CAHSR) is a high-speed rail system under construction in California in the United States. It will connect the Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center in Anaheim and Union Station in Downtown Los Angeles with the Transbay Transit Center in San Francisco via the Central Valley, providing a one-seat ride between Union Station and San Francisco in 2 hours and 40 minutes. Future extensions will connect to stations to San Diego County via the Inland Empire, and to Sacramento. CAHSR will operate on dedicated, grade separated tracks for the entirety of its route between San Jose and Burbank with speeds of up to 220 miles per hour (350 km/h), with early ridership projections for the San Francisco to Los Angeles leg at 28.4 million per year. The San Francisco–San Jose and Los Angeles–Anaheim sections will be shared with local trains in a "blended system". The project is owned and managed by the state of California through the California High-Speed Rail Authority (CAHSRA).

2012_09_chsr.0.jpg

Wow, you read propaganda and actually believe it. You should look at what they are saying, and then compare that with what they are actually DOING.

Like I said, it took bart 30 years to come into the south bay.. So this is not going to happen overnight.

What this will do is open up the central cities , people will commute and buy homes in these rural less expensive areas of California..

BTW Westie, people will do that commute for affordable housing.

people will commute and buy homes in these rural less expensive areas of California..
yea if you want to live in shit places like Fresno and Stockton....

"shit places", seems you are emulating Trump, Harry.

Both have 4-year colleges, minor league baseball teams, and large minority populations. In fact, the central valley is one of the conservative regions in our State.

Just east of Stockton is Yosemite, and East of Fresno is Sequoia National Park. Stockton is a Sea Port and Fresno an agricultural center in one of the most productive food growing regions in the world. Shit holes, I think not.
do you think trump made up the phrase?...i have been saying that my whole life and guys way older than me were saying that when i was a little kid.....and yes you can keep those cities,i have been there and compared them to Bakersfield....

Will anyone in government be held ACCOUNTABLE for these cost overruns and failures?

Yep. When the contractor(s)' work is shoddy or late they will be fined, if and when the requirement to hire the lowest bid goes to the trash heap. Once upon a time I was somewhat involved in the building of a new jail. The fire suppression contractor who submitted the lowest bid was hired even though we knew they had been fined before four using piping which did not met code.

They installed water lines too small to carry the necessary load, the inspector (government employee) discovered the violation, which required their replacement which set the end date for occupancy months late.

Your hate of government employees is well known, had fire consumed the jail one can only imagine how much the law suits would cost the taxpayer.

Sooooo, if everyone knew the contractor was a scumbag, which government employee OK'd the contract to the guy? Why did that government wonk not get fired, and or criminally indicted for failure to protect the publics assets?:eusa_whistle:

The policy by the Board of Supervisor required that the lowest bid be accepted. Can you guess which side of the aisle promulgated this policy?

The Government Employee blew the whistle. Government employees, my colleagues, notified the County Manager who had no choice but to authorize the repairs which were costly.

Even you might be able to comprehend the distinction between a cost-deficit and a cost-benefit - something that fiscal conservatives must know, but choose not to consider since it is cheaper to take the risk when they hope they will be long gone before shit hits the fan (see the Tax Reform Bill for an example).

Why is there no mechanism to get rid of bad government employees?
were i worked they had one....and as long as management did their jobs at documenting what the employee did,it worked...but the key word is "documenting"....if they did not do it or did a shitty job....it did not work.....

Will anyone in government be held ACCOUNTABLE for these cost overruns and failures?

Yep. When the contractor(s)' work is shoddy or late they will be fined, if and when the requirement to hire the lowest bid goes to the trash heap maybe the best will one day get the bid.

Once upon a time I was somewhat involved in the building of a new jail. The fire suppression contractor who submitted the lowest bid was hired even though we knew they had been fined before four using piping which did not meet code.

They installed water lines too small to carry the necessary load, the inspector (government employee) discovered the violation, which required their replacement which set the end date for occupancy months late.

The hate of government employees is well known by your side of the aisle; had fire consumed the jail one can only imagine how much the law suits would cost the taxpayer.

Correct, when a private contractor fucks up they get fined by the government and/or punished by the public. When the government fucks up the employee either gets reassigned to another government job, like the dipshit in Hawaii who sent out a false incoming missile warning or nothing happens at all like the folks at the EPA who dumped waste into a river in Colorado turning it yellow.

I know of a government worker so worthless, they just sat her in a chair and she did nothing all day long because nobody wanted to deal with her anymore.

Yep. When the contractor(s)' work is shoddy or late they will be fined, if and when the requirement to hire the lowest bid goes to the trash heap. Once upon a time I was somewhat involved in the building of a new jail. The fire suppression contractor who submitted the lowest bid was hired even though we knew they had been fined before four using piping which did not met code.

Your hate of government employees is well known, had fire consumed the jail one can only imagine how much the law suits would cost the taxpayer.

Sooooo, if everyone knew the contractor was a scumbag, which government employee OK'd the contract to the guy? Why did that government wonk not get fired, and or criminally indicted for failure to protect the publics assets?:eusa_whistle:

The policy by the Board of Supervisor required that the lowest bid be accepted. Can you guess which side of the aisle promulgated this policy?

The Government Employee blew the whistle. Government employees, my colleagues, notified the County Manager who had no choice but to authorize the repairs which were costly.

Even you might be able to comprehend the distinction between a cost-deficit and a cost-benefit - something that fiscal conservatives must know, but choose not to consider since it is cheaper to take the risk when they hope they will be long gone before shit hits the fan (see the Tax Reform Bill for an example).

Why do you believe this ^^^ is a true statement? I think you know this is not true, but choose to lie. Why?

Because it is true. Absent a government employee killing someone it is almost impossible to get rid of incompetent or corrupt ones.

Bullshit. For three years I ran Internal Affairs. Worst job I ever had, but, even those protected by the Peace Officers Bill of Rights were terminated. In fact a peace office caught in a lie, or sleeping on the job was the easiest to terminate.

There are laws and court decisions that may make termination difficult, but don't lie or pretend you have special knowledge, you are as ignorant as are most of the faux conservatives who post here.

Another thread about the great state of California lol....Too much hate from the flyover states

Or incentive to do so, or incentive to do a good job. One complaint I have heard government workers make frequently is, it doesn't matter if they worker harder than the slacker in the next cubical everyone is paid the same, there's no incentive. Kissing ass may get you promoted but its not merit based, you can be a moron butt kisser and still get promoted. No checks and balances, not performance based, no consequences, if you intended to design a system that would fail I'm not sure you could come up with something better than the current system.

Or incentive to do so, or incentive to do a good job. One complaint I have heard government workers make frequently is, it doesn't matter if they worker harder than the slacker in the next cubical everyone is paid the same, there's no incentive. Kissing ass may get you promoted but its not merit based, you can be a moron butt kisser and still get promoted. No checks and balances, not performance based, no consequences, if you intended to design a system that would fail I'm not sure you could come up with something better than the current system.

I doubt you could meet the MQ's to work in the public sector.

Since you've never worked in the public sector, you are not familiar with the process to be hired: the written exam, the oral interviews and at the beginning monthly evaluations for the first 6 months. Anytime while on Probation the public employee can be let go, and no reason needs to be told to the probationary employee for their termination.

Promotions are merit based, based on passing a written exam, their annual evaluations prepared by their supervisor and signed off by management and by interviews, one by in house supervisors, and one by other agency managers.

You make shit up and your bullshit is obvious to those of us who worked in the public sector. All you've done is post the right wing propaganda / and Republican meme.

were i worked they had one....and as long as management did their jobs at documenting what the employee did,it worked...but the key word is "documenting"....if they did not do it or did a shitty job....it did not work.....

I'm sure the process of documentation is similar in most public agencies.

First, the employee gets training on what s/he did wrong, and the employee receives a counseling memo; then, if the same behavior occurs, a written reprimand is given to the employee.

If the behavior does not improve he or she will receive a Skelly Notice*** and a hearing is then held where the employee and his attorney can give their side of the story. If the Judge determines all laws have been filed the employee can be suspended without pay or terminated.

The cost to hire and train an employee is the major reason management will go to extremes to salvage an employee.

***Skelly Hearing is a CA Supreme Court Case which allow an Admin. Judge to hear the employees side, and then decide if all laws were followed by the agency.

First, the employee gets training on what s/he did wrong, and the employee receives a counseling memo; then, if the same behavior occurs, a written reprimand is given to the employee.

If the behavior does not improve he or she will receive a Skelly Notice*** and a hearing is then held where the employee and his attorney can give their side of the story. If the Judge determines all laws have been filed the employee can be suspended without pay or terminated.

The cost to hire and train an employee is the major reason management will go to extremes to salvage an employee.

***Skelly Hearing is a CA Supreme Court Case which allow an Admin. Judge to hear the employees side, and then decide if all laws were followed by the agency.

Whereas in the private sector the boss simply says "you're fired." The process you outline can take years. Only a useless parasite government employee would think that's a speedy process.

You are a union or government worker..

In the real world your fired ..

Whereas in the private sector the boss simply says "you're fired." The process you outline can take years. Only a useless parasite government employee would think that's a speedy process.

Government uses due diligence, something alien to you and Trump. The facts are the employee is an investment, in time and money, and my have screwed up because they were not properly trained or did not understand the training they received.

You're not very bright.

You are a union or government worker..

In the real world your fired ..

I was in the union as a deputy, I was not represented by a union after my promotions. You seem to be as dumb, or maybe dumber, than bripat.

Government uses due diligence, something alien to you and Trump. The facts are the employee is an investment, in time and money, and my have screwed up because they were not properly trained or did not understand the training they received.

You're not very bright.

And you as a "professional" allowed completely untrained people to handle firearms. Pot meet kettle. If you had been that careless in a firearms class I was teaching you would have been tossed out the door for incompetence. Due diligence my ass.

Since you've never worked in the public sector, you are not familiar with the process to be hired: the written exam, the oral interviews and at the beginning monthly evaluations for the first 6 months. Anytime while on Probation the public employee can be let go, and no reason needs to be told to the probationary employee for their termination.

Promotions are merit based, based on passing a written exam, their annual evaluations prepared by their supervisor and signed off by management and by interviews, one by in house supervisors, and one by other agency managers.

You make shit up and your bullshit is obvious to those of us who worked in the public sector. All you've done is post the right wing propaganda / and Republican meme.

:itsok: riiiiiiight here have an eyeroll :rolleyes:

You're not very bright.

And you as a "professional" allowed completely untrained people to handle firearms. Pot meet kettle. If you had been that careless in a firearms class I was teaching you would have been tossed out the door for incompetence. Due diligence my ass.

PC 832 Arrest and Firearms Course - Commission on POST

"completely untrained"? Your straw man is built with wet straw and completely dressed in a hazmat suit made of asbestos.

:itsok: riiiiiiight here have an eyeroll :rolleyes:

Idiot-gram ^^^

The first defense of the uneducated fringe.

Forum List

Back