Busting the Myth of Separation of Church and State

The modern version (since 1948) of separation of church and state is based on the opinion written by a former KKK member appointed to the Supreme Court by FDR. At the time of the decision, the Catholic Church had been involved in establishing private schools throughout the U.S. and the administration was determined to stop it. Like many KKK members Justice Black was raised with an abiding hatred for Papists as well as other minorities and he managed to find some obscure letter written by Jefferson and based his opinion on what Jefferson might have thought rather than the Constitution and naturally there was no outcry by the media at the time. It should be noted that the same Justice had written the majority opinion justifying FDR's incarceration of innocent Japanese American citizens.

ummm, that has nothing to do with separation of church and state and pastors are constitutionally allowed, with no restrictions, from speaking about politics or political ideals from the pulpit.

However, the IRS does have rules that Charities (including but not limited to churches)cannot openly promote candidates and retain 501C(3) tax exempt status.. This includes Churches. But again, that has nothing at all to do with church/state separation.

I have never heard of the IRS actually using that ruling. Do you have a link to an IRS lifting of exempt status for a church?

The modern version (since 1948) of separation of church and state is based on the opinion written by a former KKK member appointed to the Supreme Court by FDR. At the time of the decision, the Catholic Church had been involved in establishing private schools throughout the U.S. and the administration was determined to stop it. Like many KKK members Justice Black was raised with an abiding hatred for Papists as well as other minorities and he managed to find some obscure letter written by Jefferson and based his opinion on what Jefferson might have thought rather than the Constitution and naturally there was no outcry by the media at the time.

Then by all means, you need to write a letter to the Supreme Court and explain what happened as soon as possible. I'm sure that after you let them know what happened, they will clear that up right away.

The OP says "pastors should speak up". He has an agenda, he wants to push the 'Christian' religion and have 'Christians' run the government.

Sorry, if you want religion in government then you will have to accept Muslims running for office as they champion their religion as well. And Wiccans, and Hindus.

Religious whacks all through history attempt to get hold of the power of government so they can suppress all other religions.

Not here not ever. Your religion has no more value than any other.

a prime example of the leftards separation....
cross.jpg

i despise leftards!!! :up:
Your point would be?

He has no point, he is unsocialized and hates the world.

Nowhere can this be found in the constitution. Nowhere. It does say, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.” Period. Nothing more.

What's so hard to understand about that?

The article @ Myth Busted: ‘Separation of Church and State’ clearly relates how anti-religious organizations have conducted a campaign to frighten pastors from speaking on political ideals from their pulpits, often using outright lies as part of their threats.

It's about time pastors speak up.

Fine, nothing presents them from actively politicking, but let's be real about it and take away their tax exempt status.

Lets do that for mosque... Are you up for that or would that be unfair to the muslims.

"Notwithstanding the general progress made within the two last centuries in favour of this branch of liberty, & the full establishment of it, in some parts of our Country, there remains in others a strong bias towards the old error, that without some sort of alliance or coalition between Gov' & Religion neither can be duly supported: Such indeed is the tendency to such a coalition, and such its corrupting influence on both the parties, that the danger cannot be too carefully guarded against"
-- James Madison; from letter to Edward Livingston (July 10, 1822)

:banana:

The OP says "pastors should speak up". He has an agenda, he wants to push the 'Christian' religion and have 'Christians' run the government.

Sorry, if you want religion in government then you will have to accept Muslims running for office as they champion their religion as well. And Wiccans, and Hindus.

Religious whacks all through history attempt to get hold of the power of government so they can suppress all other religions.

Is there a law somewhere that forbids non-christians from practicing their religion? I don't think any religious whackos have done that in this country. The only place that happens is Iran, a country that seems to be so f'n cool to the left.

Is there a law somewhere that forbids non-christians from practicing their religion? I don't think any religious whackos have done that in this country. The only place that happens is Iran, a country that seems to be so f'n cool to the left.
Iran is not the only place.

Do you know how stupid this argument sounds that the left is making. We know that Obama is a muslim yet that alone has no power to make me convert to that religion. I guess he can issue an executive order decreeing everyone should be muslim but it is disputable if Obama's will is the law of the land yet... Anyways, not one single law has been found to ever to forbid someone from practicing their religion. I don't really understand the problem the left has with christians. It is as if they expect them to shut themselves in and not say anything out loud.

You want us to be more like Iran.

Iran is not the only place.

I thought Iran was the coolest place in the world....that is what MSNBC tells me.

You want us to be more like Iran.

I was actually insulting you in a very passive manor.

"Notwithstanding the general progress made within the two last centuries in favour of this branch of liberty, & the full establishment of it, in some parts of our Country, there remains in others a strong bias towards the old error, that without some sort of alliance or coalition between Gov' & Religion neither can be duly supported: Such indeed is the tendency to such a coalition, and such its corrupting influence on both the parties, that the danger cannot be too carefully guarded against"
-- James Madison; from letter to Edward Livingston (July 10, 1822)

I totally agree with this which is why Islam should be wiped out because it doesn't allow other religions to coexist along side of it. On this issue I totally agree with you. Lets get those crazy Christ...muslim religious whackos!

Get rid of separation of church and state and you pave the way, for starters,

of local governments setting up Sharia Law systems, i.e., local governments based on Islamic tenets.

Get rid of separation of church and state and you pave the way, for starters,

of local governments setting up Sharia Law systems, i.e., local governments based on Islamic tenets.

Islam is a religion of peace. It would never do that. It is the crazy christians doing that. I believe it is time to purge this country of all christianity because, according to you, it is a new religion that just appeared in America after 1980. It didn't exist before that in this country. I still can't explain the slogans of our country (America, in case you forgot that) that says In God we trust or the countless stories of CHRISTIANS coming to this country. Weren't the pilgrims christian?

ummm, that has nothing to do with separation of church and state and pastors are constitutionally allowed, with no restrictions, from speaking about politics or political ideals from the pulpit.

However, the IRS does have rules that Charities (including but not limited to churches)cannot openly promote candidates and retain 501C(3) tax exempt status.. This includes Churches. But again, that has nothing at all to do with church/state separation.

I have never heard of the IRS actually using that ruling. Do you have a link to an IRS lifting of exempt status for a church?
Mixing Politics with Nonprofits

Nah you just think that because con-media tells you to think that. No one in real life does.

Forum List

Back