'Bullying' in the NFL?

No offense but you're so far off on basically all of your statements that I can only assume you don't actually follow sports at all. Almost everything you've said is flat out wrong and can be debunked by just picking up the sports page of your local newspaper.

The NCAA specifically mandates minimal high school GPA, SAT, etc. scores for incoming athletes and none of them are especially low. Many of the top athletic programs in the country come from some of the best colleges that refuse to lower their standards for admissions. Throwing a football won't get you into Stanford any more than shooting a basketball will get you into Duke. More importantly, athletes are suspended, dismissed from their teams, or expelled from their schools altogether ALL THE TIME for not showing up to class or failing to maintain their grades. You don't get any more higher profile in college sports than starting quarterback for Notre Dame in the National Championship Game but Golson Everett is not playing this season because of his grades.

"Brains" is very important to teams which is why the NFL specifically gives an IQ test and arguably the single worst thing you can do to affect your draft position is tank that exam.

Thanks for the response and you bring up good points. Again, I'm not making the claim that NFL players are morons – totally not my intention.

But think of it this way (and correct me if you think I’m wrong); if you were to compare a group of people who worked their way up from scratch to make a salary equivalent to that of an NFL player in the business world, would you expect those folks to have a higher average IQ than that of an average NFL player who earns his money for “being really fast and good at tackling people”?

Sure, Notre Dame might suspend a QB for grades but I’m sure you’re well aware that Notre Dame puts a greater emphasis on academics (for their athletes) than most of the other Division 1 schools. Are you telling me that the best running back in the country wouldn’t make it into the NFL because “his IQ is low”? If he’s going to win games, an NFL team will pick him up (so long as he’s not a criminal, rude, etc).

Throwing a football might not get you into Stanford, but the point is if you’re good enough YOU WILL get into a Division 1 school and if you win games you will get into the NFL.

Robbery is a CRIME. Giving your money FREELY is not.

As in my previous example he had the option to say NO. At 300 lbs, that's a mighty BIG OPTION.

You can say no to a person holding a gun to your head. The question is did the rookies have a reasonable fear of retaliation for saying no.

No gun was involved. The argument is about a crime.

Coercion and fraud can be a crime. And it is a viable argument in civil cases.

Last edited:
I agree, the bottom line is they can by court order demand the emails of these people, their text messages, their discussions to prove the case that it was a joint effort to bully an individual, destroy their reputation, destroy their livlihood if they did not comply, there are many facets to the case.

You simply cannot go behind the scenes - plot out the bullying of a football player on the team - execute it behind the scenes by email, text message, etc and then not expect to pay for it in a civil suit.

I am guessing that this football player is going to win millions in damages.. he will also find out who else was behind it because whoever is called to testify, or named as involved is going to lose their right to the "anonymous status" they enjoyed while doing this to the individual. That includes the people who put the coaches up to this bullying in the first place. Their day is coming as well. - Jeri

And it is a crime to do what has been done to these rookies, Pops. I am amazed you cannot see it!

Argh, these dinners have been a rookie tradition for decades.

The higher the draft choice the higher the expense. Very low draft choices and free agents will often fulfill the tradition with pizza or subway. High draft choices will buy expensive meals because of the size of the contracts and signing bonuses.

What is most curious is how many of the players said that, if asked two weeks ago they would have said these two were great friends. And how others said that Incognito was very protective of Martin, both on and off the field?

Then there is the report that Martin was sharing the texts and voice mails with team mates and laughing about them as though they were jokes.

This whole thing reeks.

And it is a crime to do what has been done to these rookies, Pops. I am amazed you cannot see it!

The higher the draft choice the higher the expense. Very low draft choices and free agents will often fulfill the tradition with pizza or subway. High draft choices will buy expensive meals because of the size of the contracts and signing bonuses.

What is most curious is how many of the players said that, if asked two weeks ago they would have said these two were great friends. And how others said that Incognito was very protective of Martin, both on and off the field?

Then there is the report that Martin was sharing the texts and voice mails with team mates and laughing about them as though they were jokes.

This whole thing reeks.

Players are covering their ass.

This whole thing reeks.

Why?

This whole thing reeks.

Why?

Their reputation, lawsuits?

More like fake educated. Dexter Manley had a degree and couldn't even read.

About half of all NFL players have college degrees. That's more than the general public.
Those sheep skins were payment for playing for those colleges, not earned through honest study. Manley wouldn't even have graduated high school, had he actually had to legitimately pass those tests. College is a free ride for athletes. NCAA is a scam.

Those are the illogical sour grapes of a bitter 98 lbs. weakling.

It's actually a very accurate generalization. If hitting the target more than 90% of the time qualifies as accurate anyway.

The proof that it is inaccurate can be found in your inability to substantiate that rather specific "more than 90% of the time."

I low balled it just to make sure I was covered. The actual figure is more likely in the high 9's.

Does it make it easier for you to talk out your ass knowing you can never prove what you're claiming, Poindexter?

The proof that it is inaccurate can be found in your inability to substantiate that rather specific "more than 90% of the time."

I low balled it just to make sure I was covered. The actual figure is more likely in the high 9's.

Does it make it easier for you to talk out your ass knowing you can never prove what you're claiming, Poindexter?

I'm not talking out of my ass. I played football. I know what I'm talking about.

When this sort of thing happens in cross-country track, I'll defer to your expertise.

I'm not talking out of my ass. I played football. I know what I'm talking about.

When this sort of thing happens in cross-country track, I'll defer to your expertise.

Prove your rather specific figure then, towel-boy.

A PSA about generalizations...

NFL football players on balance have below average intelligence. <<- Accurate generalization.

People who have a college degree have above average intelligence. <<- Inaccurate generalization.

So you can't prove your generalization then?

shocker!

Too bad you never received enough education to understand basic logic, towel-boy.

kettle, black

:rofl:

No, idiot. If someone (like you) makes a claim, it is up to that person (like you) to support or withdraw that claim. Calling bullshit on the claim leaves the onus on the person (like you) who made the claim. Are you really this stupid?

Forum List

Back