Brining 101

Wicked Jester

Libsmackin'chef
Aug 4, 2009
So. Cal, Malibu!
OK, look, i've had it with dry chicken, turkey, and pork chops, both from home cooks and restaurants.

Last weekend the wife and I went out to dinner at a new restaurant we had been wanting to try. She ordered a version of Shrimp and Scallops fra diavlo over Angel Hair Pasta, it was excellent. I ordered the double cut, bone in Pork Loin Chop with a Sherry Demi sauce. The sauce was excellent, no surprise, seeing as though the place runs a brigade system with a Saucier. The Chop was dry as leather.....Tonight, the wife stopped at an old friends house for dinner. She brought me home a left over bone in skin on chix breast and sides. The sides were good, the chix breast like leather.

So, the point is, BRINE THAT SHIT!

It's as simple as it gets, and is a sure fire way to ensure moist chicken, turkey or pork.

For every quart of COLD water, add a 1/4 cup KOSHER salt.

Place your chix or turkey in a plastic Zip Loc bag, or covered container, add your brine, and refrigerate 45 mins to 1 hour (NO MORE) for chix or Turkey, 2 hours for pork.....Remove, rinse, and pat dry......Season with a salt free seasoning blend, if desired, or just good ol' fresh cracked black pepper.

Now, you can also brine using various fruit juices, along with the salt....Apple Juice brine is excellent for pork......You can also add fresh herbs and whole peppercorns to your brine to infuse more flavor.

So, there ya' have it......No more excuses for shoe leather chix, turkey or pork....You're Welcome!:cool:

Last edited:
i dont brine but i use a clay cooker....much easier and allows more natural taste...i am not paying for natural and organic meats to brine them.....

and my turkey and chicken are never dry

Alton Brown (the host of Good Eats), and almost anyone on the Food Channel could have taught you that.

Ya gotta watch the cooking shows dude...................they can even show you that marinating is better than brining.

Alton Brown (the host of Good Eats), and almost anyone on the Food Channel could have taught you that.

Ya gotta watch the cooking shows dude...................they can even show you that marinating is better than brining.
I don't need Alton Brown to teach me Jack Shit....I've been a chef for as long as he has, possibly longer.

Christ, ya' always get at least one asshole in every thread who just has to run their mouth.

OK, look, i've had it with dry chicken, turkey, and pork chops, both from home cooks and restaurants.

Last weekend the wife and I went out to dinner at a new restaurant we had been wanting to try. She ordered a version of Shrimp and Scallops fra diavlo over Angel Hair Pasta, it was excellent. I ordered the double cut, bone in Pork Loin Chop with a Sherry Demi sauce. The sauce was excellent, no surprise, seeing as though the place runs a brigade system with a Saucier. The Chop was dry as leather.....Tonight, the wife stopped at an old friends house for dinner. She brought me home a left over bone in skin on chix breast and sides. The sides were good, the chix breast like leather.

It's as simple as it gets, and is a sure fire way to ensure moist chicken, turkey or pork.

Place your chix or turkey in a plastic Zip Loc bag, or covered container, add your brine, and refrigerate 45 mins to 1 hour (NO MORE) for chix or Turkey, 2 hours for pork.....Remove, rinse, and pat dry......Season with a salt free seasoning blend, if desired, or just good ol' fresh cracked black pepper.

Now, you can also brine using various fruit juices, along with the salt....Apple Juice brine is excellent for pork......You can also add fresh herbs and whole peppercorns to your brine to infuse more flavor.

So, there ya' have it......No more excuses for shoe leather chix, turkey or pork....You're Welcome!:cool:

chef....

if you cant cook chicken, turkey or pork WITHOUT brining it.... your a damn bad chef!

says the pastry chef. :thanks:

ok ok ok .......... lol

yes, brining is a good trick to keeping things moister. Injecting a stock,chicken fat, butter mixture into turkey does the trick just as well as brining in my opinion.

However brining is not a good idea for people who need a low salt diet. So you have to keep that in mind.

I brine my chicken in buttermilk and spices before frying.

i dont brine but i use a clay cooker....much easier and allows more natural taste...i am not paying for natural and organic meats to brine them.....

and my turkey and chicken are never dry
Clay pots are great, I use mine all the time.

And, brining, when done right, brings out the natural flavor in meats that are low in fat....Salt naturally pulls flavor and moisture when used in dry form, that's why you should never salt anything hours before you intend on cooking it.......Salt used in conjuction with liquid pushes flavor in, while pulling flavor through when cooked.

And, be very weary when buying so-called "Natural, "Organic", or "Free Range" anything these days....The profit margins in the industry have exploded, and the ability to regulate it is lagging.....I guarantee you have overpaid for products labeled as such, and ended up buying non-natural or organic products.....Particularly in restaurants.

chef....

if you cant cook chicken, turkey or pork WITHOUT brining it.... your a damn bad chef!

ok ok ok .......... lol

yes, brining is a good trick to keeping things moister. Injecting a stock,chicken fat, butter mixture into turkey does the trick just as well as brining in my opinion.

However brining is not a good idea for people who need a low salt diet. So you have to keep that in mind.

LMAO!.....unfortunately, many home cooks, and it appears many chefs and line cooks, just can't get it right......Hence, giving them options to avoid the leather factory.

I'll give that restaurant a lil' more time to get their shit together before going back. If it happens again, they obviously have a problem....You know how it works.

Sad thing is, with the explosion of culinary schools out there, particularly the "take their money, push 'em through, and get 'em the hell outta here" types, the industry is being flooded with hacks who couldn't tell ya' the difference between Brunois and Parmentier on graduation day.....IDIOTS!:evil:......:cool:

Last edited:

chef....

ok ok ok .......... lol

LMAO!.....unfortunately, many home cooks, and it appears many chefs and line cooks, just can't get it right......Hence, giving them options to avoid the leather factory.

I'll give that restaurent a lil' more time to get their shit together before going back. If it happens again, they obviously have a problem....You know how it works.

Sad thing is, with the explosion of culinary schools out there, particularly the "take their money, push 'em through, and get 'em the hell outta here" types, the industry is being flooded with hacks who couldn't tell ya' the difference between Brunois and Parmentier on graduation day.....IDIOTS!:evil:......:cool:

omg... they would show up wanting and thinking they could have executive positions! we tested them on how well they could prep herbs. I let them butter brioche pans.

chef....

ok ok ok .......... lol

I'll give that restaurent a lil' more time to get their shit together before going back. If it happens again, they obviously have a problem....You know how it works.

omg... they would show up wanting and thinking they could have executive positions! we tested them on how well they could prep herbs. I let them butter brioche pans.
Lol....buttering brioche pans....Bwahahahahahhahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Too friggin' funny!

I was always big on having an extern in my kitchen....I actually up ended with a couple o' really good employees that way.......What I would do, from the moment they first walked in the door to start fulfilling those hours requirements, was tell them to go pull three stock pots, 'cause they were making stocks today......My god, I can't tell you how many times I got that :eek: look......I also can't tell you how many times they were completely clueless in how to make stocks, one of the first things you learn in culinary school, and a vital necessity in any kitchen worth its salt.

Whenever I was hiring a line cook, i'd interview 'em, ask if they would be willing to do a dish to show their skill, take 'em back in the kitchen, hand 'em a 6oz, beef tenderloin filet, a bag of arborio, point the way to the walk in and pantry, point to the stock pots, and tell them I want a seared rare filet with a sauce of their choice. Tell 'em to do what they're going to do with the arborio (you know what that means), and to choose a veg side to go along with it......I can't tell ya' again how many raw filets, and basically what amounted to oatmeal that i've tasted.:cool:

Last edited:
"wash the potatoes please" ......

it grabbed the silverware rack... and put them in the dishwasher.

:eek:

and it was top of its class out of CCA.

Good Eats is now on Hulu...love Alton Brown.

Just watch "Pilaf", season one episode 12 this morning.

Last edited:

better, google "GoodEatsComplete, youtube", all episodes free on youtube.

Alton Brown is a wealth of knowledge, particularly on the scientific end of culinary arts.......Any culinary school should label him as a required point of reference to their studies.

A chef friend of mine taught me that a year or so ago, and I've never looked back.
Yep, we chefs know all the tricks!:razz:

That's why I get frustrated when I go into a restaurant and get fed shoe leather....There's no excuse for it.:evil:

Why not try and open a restaurant?

I realize it probably sucks to always cook for yourself since you do it for a living, but you're never gonna get dishes that are as good as what you make when you go out. I shouldn't say NEVER, but you know what I mean.

See, post on something you know well and the people Cheer! Best to say away from Politics and Baseball, areas in which you are way behind the times.

Forum List

Back