Brexit, Trump, England's young and similarities with the GOP

R

rdean

This is what happened. After 70 years of peace and prosperity in Europe, England's older and mostly uneducated generation voted to leave the EU because, just like here, conservatives filled their minds with fear based on racism and a perceived but nonexistent threat that, here, has given us the Trump slogan, "Make America Great Again". Both here and in England, white uneducated conservatives yearn for some non existent Golden Age that exists only in their minds.

As we have already seen, the Demographics of the vote were, for the people wanting to leave, white, uneducated and unqualified for most jobs with many unemployed. Funny, who does that sound like here in this country.

The uneducated British population were tricked into being afraid of immigrants who they believe are coming to take jobs they themselves are not qualified for. Again, doesn't that sound familiar. After all, in this country, we have 5.8 million unfilled job openings.

America has near record 5.8 million job openings

What does that mean in the long run? The English, including the younger generation, will no longer be able to move around Europe at will and live where they like. They will be required to have a passport to visit friends previously they could visit anytime they wanted. Their goods will have tariffs placed on them causing consumer items to skyrocket in price. This will actually increase unemployment because their goods will be more expensive and the goods coming into the country will be more expensive. They will have less money to spend on infrastructure and on medical help for the elderly. Funds previously given out from the EU for research will vanish. And the English will still be unqualified for they few jobs that will be available. And since this has negatively affected the markets, retirement accounts have lost money and will probably continue to do so. Just like here.

It seems that Republican Policies here and Conservative Policies there of fear and racism will have exactly the same results.

More interesting is what younger English people think:

Meet the 75%: the young people who voted to remain in the EU

How does it feel to be one of the 75% of 18- to 24-year-olds who voted to remain in the European Union?

Some examples:

My future is completely changed; I will not have the benefits my parents and their generation have had, such as freedom of movement between all EU countries. Mostly I am outraged that this decision, which reflects on the British people, has been made without my consent. The future already looks less bright for us and it is a future I did not have a say in shaping.

Yet, our futures have been governed by the votes of narrow-minded older generations who now will sit back and see our bright futures dimmed. I am embarrassed and disappointed that our country has been manipulated by the xenophobic, racist and above all incorrect facts that have been spread.

My main concern is what impact the leave verdict has upon jobs with so much employment, especially in the charity sector, dependent upon EU funding. Leave creates job uncertainty and is a huge snub to the immigrants living, studying, and working here. I cannot envision how Brexit is going to bring working-class unity. Instead, I imagine that it will result in reactionary policies that are only going to bring more social segregation and economic deprivation.

There are many more letters, but I especially liked this one:

I’m disgusted. Utterly and completely disgusted with my country and what they have done to my future. I’m 16 years old and therefore didn’t vote on this matter, which incidentally I’m also absolutely furious about. The fact that people who are going to be gone in the next 10 years were allowed to vote on something that my peers and I have to live with for the rest of our lives is completely and utterly unacceptable.

--------------------

These are not blogs. They are letters to a news outlet. And only a few. And the last one was especially touching: The fact that people who are going to be gone in the next 10 years were allowed to vote on something that my peers and I have to live with for the rest of our lives is completely and utterly unacceptable.

---------------------

What can you say to that? And the older white Republicans are going to try to do the same thing to this country. Lead it down a path it might never recover from. Look at what they did under Bush. They vow to make it even worse.

Brexit is giving us a taste at what Conservatives want to do here. And the younger generation will have to live with it long after the old conservatives in the GOP are gone. It's not "Make America Great Again", it's what the hell are you trying to do to your kid's futures?

Idealism and reality seldom mesh. This is why older and wiser folks, not pre-programmed by idiotic college professors need to step up and save nations from moronic idealism. Britain will be much stronger and safer getting back to the basics of economics, self-determination, and fiscal sanity. U.S. voters will most likely follow suit in November.

Idealism and reality seldom mesh. This is why older and wiser folks, not pre-programmed by idiotic college professors need to step up and save nations from moronic idealism. Britain will be much stronger and safer getting back to the basics of economics, self-determination, and fiscal sanity. U.S. voters will most likely follow suit in November.
There's older and wiser. Then there are uneducated and unskilled.

Do you know that older uneducated and unskilled Americans still think Trump can bring back jobs that have been automated and don't exist any more? How do you explain to people who have never needed skills when they had a job to get skills so they can get a job? Especially when they have been been taught education is for snobs?

I guess we'll be watching in the near future how "much stronger and safer" Britain will be, eh?

Do you know that older uneducated and unskilled Americans still think Trump can bring back jobs that have been automated and don't exist any more? How do you explain to people who have never needed skills when they had a job to get skills so they can get a job? Especially when they have been been taught education is for snobs?

Rick is exactly right, everyone is not college material. Some folks are better suited for the trades, but that doesn't mean that they are "uneducated and unskilled". Quite the contrary, most of your "art history" and "philosophy" majors have absolutely no "common sense", aka "street smarts" or the skill sets needed to earn a living.
Trump says that he will try to level the playing field so that folks have a better shot at a decent job instead of being unemployed living in their parents basement. like the Obama/Clinton economy has them doing. Your quote is incorrect, "thinking that a college education is for everyone is snobbish". Blue collar folks still stubbornly "cling to their guns and religion". The Obama/Clinton economy makes corporations move overseas to avoid high taxes, like Pfizer, et.al.

Rick is exactly right, everyone is not college material. Some folks are better suited for the trades, but that doesn't mean that they are "uneducated and unskilled". Quite the contrary, most of your "art history" and "philosophy" majors have absolutely no "common sense", aka "street smarts" or the skill sets needed to earn a living.
Trump says that he will try to level the playing field so that folks have a better shot at a decent job instead of being unemployed living in their parents basement. like the Obama/Clinton economy has them doing. Your quote is incorrect, "thinking that a college education is for everyone is snobbish". Blue collar folks still stubbornly "cling to their guns and religion". The Obama/Clinton economy makes corporations move overseas to avoid high taxes, like Pfizer, et.al.
It's more likely that it's Republicans who are unemployed, without skills and living in mom's basement. How do we know? They tell us. Look at Rick Santorum.

It's like these young people are unaware that the EU is only 43 years old. Britian had more than 1000 years of sovereignity before that.

It's the young who are being robbed of their jobs, housing, their history and heritage.

...unskilled and uneducated...

Just love listening to the elitism against ordinary working class Americans. I know a lot of people don't have special skills or college diplomas but how does that necessarily make someone less qualified to make an intelligent decision?

I guess we'll be watching in the near future how "much stronger and safer" Britain will be, eh?

Did you just say that you think a nation's future should be built around this philosophy.

...unskilled and uneducated...

Just love listening to the elitism against ordinary working class Americans. I know a lot of people don't have special skills or college diplomas but how does that necessarily make someone less qualified to make an intelligent decision?

It doesn't. And it really isn't voters' fault that during an election campaign, very few actual facts are presented in an unbiased way that everyone can learn from. The plain information that is out there is, unfortunately, immediately "suspect" because of the ridiculous belief that the MSM and the major newspapers and other print media in this country are unable to print any facts due to their liberal slant.
Moody's analysis of Trump's proposals says they will make the economy worse. So people say there is something fishy about Moody's. Part of the establishment, and therefore lying, no doubt.
This hostility toward solid factual reporting is the scariest part of what is going on in our country right now. Voters aren't stupid, but they are being brainwashed to believe that everything they are being told is a lie. That the only thing they can believe comes from their own equally biased side. That is very dangerous. Something should be done about it.

This is what happened. After 70 years of peace and prosperity in Europe, England's older and mostly uneducated generation voted to leave the EU because, just like here, conservatives filled their minds with fear based on racism and a perceived but nonexistent threat that, here, has given us the Trump slogan, "Make America Great Again". Both here and in England, white uneducated conservatives yearn for some non existent Golden Age that exists only in their minds.

As we have already seen, the Demographics of the vote were, for the people wanting to leave, white, uneducated and unqualified for most jobs with many unemployed. Funny, who does that sound like here in this country.

The uneducated British population were tricked into being afraid of immigrants who they believe are coming to take jobs they themselves are not qualified for. Again, doesn't that sound familiar. After all, in this country, we have 5.8 million unfilled job openings.

What does that mean in the long run? The English, including the younger generation, will no longer be able to move around Europe at will and live where they like. They will be required to have a passport to visit friends previously they could visit anytime they wanted. Their goods will have tariffs placed on them causing consumer items to skyrocket in price. This will actually increase unemployment because their goods will be more expensive and the goods coming into the country will be more expensive. They will have less money to spend on infrastructure and on medical help for the elderly. Funds previously given out from the EU for research will vanish. And the English will still be unqualified for they few jobs that will be available. And since this has negatively affected the markets, retirement accounts have lost money and will probably continue to do so. Just like here.

It seems that Republican Policies here and Conservative Policies there of fear and racism will have exactly the same results.

How does it feel to be one of the 75% of 18- to 24-year-olds who voted to remain in the European Union?

Some examples:

My future is completely changed; I will not have the benefits my parents and their generation have had, such as freedom of movement between all EU countries. Mostly I am outraged that this decision, which reflects on the British people, has been made without my consent. The future already looks less bright for us and it is a future I did not have a say in shaping.

Yet, our futures have been governed by the votes of narrow-minded older generations who now will sit back and see our bright futures dimmed. I am embarrassed and disappointed that our country has been manipulated by the xenophobic, racist and above all incorrect facts that have been spread.

My main concern is what impact the leave verdict has upon jobs with so much employment, especially in the charity sector, dependent upon EU funding. Leave creates job uncertainty and is a huge snub to the immigrants living, studying, and working here. I cannot envision how Brexit is going to bring working-class unity. Instead, I imagine that it will result in reactionary policies that are only going to bring more social segregation and economic deprivation.

I’m disgusted. Utterly and completely disgusted with my country and what they have done to my future. I’m 16 years old and therefore didn’t vote on this matter, which incidentally I’m also absolutely furious about. The fact that people who are going to be gone in the next 10 years were allowed to vote on something that my peers and I have to live with for the rest of our lives is completely and utterly unacceptable.

--------------------

These are not blogs. They are letters to a news outlet. And only a few. And the last one was especially touching: The fact that people who are going to be gone in the next 10 years were allowed to vote on something that my peers and I have to live with for the rest of our lives is completely and utterly unacceptable.

---------------------

What can you say to that? And the older white Republicans are going to try to do the same thing to this country. Lead it down a path it might never recover from. Look at what they did under Bush. They vow to make it even worse.

Brexit is giving us a taste at what Conservatives want to do here. And the younger generation will have to live with it long after the old conservatives in the GOP are gone. It's not "Make America Great Again", it's what the hell are you trying to do to your kid's futures?
Great Britain has been around many many more years than the EU,they will be just fine.
The OP has expanded its irrational hate campaign.now the shit stain is hating on older people.
These people will attack anyone at anytime to push their bigotry,just plan racism and hate for,and it will change,if Christy were in trumps shoes,people like this RDean would be hating and formulating hit prices and just plan lies.
They seldom talk policy but if they can take a shot at children they are all over it.
They are sick and are a major road block to a better life.
It must be a miserable life,to be so filled with hate.

Some examples:

--------------------

---------------------

Great Britain has been around many many more years than the EU,they will be just fine.
The OP has expanded its irrational hate campaign.now the shit stain is hating on older people.
These people will attack anyone at anytime to push their bigotry,just plan racism and hate for,and it will change,if Christy were in trumps shoes,people like this RDean would be hating and formulating hit prices and just plan lies.
They seldom talk policy but if they can take a shot at children they are all over it.
They are sick and are a major road block to a better life.
It must be a miserable life,to be so filled with hate.
No longer will people from England be allowed to travel all over Europe. English goods will have tariffs placed on them. In fact, if Scotland and Wales joins the EU without England, the English may need a passport to travel to Scotland and Wales. That country will enter a depression.

Forum List

Back