Breaking News: Restaurants Closing All Over Seattle As $15 Minimum Wage Mandate Starts April 1st.

Hey Zeke you do realize the 11 and 14 hr rules specifically refer to in cab occupants who either drive or will drive and simply ride with the other driver.

No man is allowed to drive more than 11 hrs in any 21 hr period. It is usually understood as a 24 hr period but tag team drivers can stack hrs to keep a rig moving for cross country times that do not include stop and sleep periods. Remember though because of the rolling 60 and 70 hr rules those stacks can and do catch up with these types of drivers effectively curtailing the maximum # of hours any one driver may drive in a given period.

Once again, your ignorance is noted, but thank you for playing again ......................

The company I used to work for was big on hiring married couple driving teams, because they could keep the truck moving and make much longer trips faster, and the presence of the female tended to keep a rein on any testosterone-fueled nonsense on the part of the guy . . . but that's a different topic. ;)

Unions utilize the vices of covetousness and greed.

Oh you mean when they (unions) look at the large salaries the management makes and wants some of that money for their workers. I could live with that greed.

Why, I am willing to bet that you are smart enough to understand that those large salaries for the management is supported by the efforts of the union production workers. But then again. maybe not.

Surely if ALL the production workers walked off the job, the management would take up their jobs. Right?
Greed is thinking that your boss is screwing you over by giving you what you agreed to by contract. If you think you deserve more, you should negotiate for more and see how your labor is appraised on the open market. But to agree to a certain wage and then whine about how you're getting "screwed" by your boss is covetousness. And there's a reason that this particular sin made the top ten of God's commandments.

Because it makes people act like liberal jackasses?

Why dont mexicans do that in mexico? Oh yea because there arent any good jobs in mexico.

This is starting to happen in america. The young college educated kids working for less and ford jobs are now walmart jobs. Good luck getting into ford but walmarts hiring.

As a Nation, we're going backwards. Most Americans' futures look pretty dismal. We've lost our way. We went from having mostly good career jobs for our People, to most now settling for low wage temporary jobs, with almost no hope for the future. And that transformation happened pretty rapidly. So, is the American Dream still alive? I would have to say barely. It's on life support.

And why is that? Because the liberals sacrifice jobs and growth in virtually every policy they advocate. Thousands of jobs killing regulations pushing more and more jobs off-shore. Irrational global warming crap. Irrational hatred of fossil fuels. Then they kick growth in the groin with never ending tax increases. If the bunch of asshole liberals would get out of our way we could get this country back to work.

In my years of observation, i've come to the conclusion that most are all for Big Government intervention, if they see something in it for them. They only express outrage over Big Government if they don't benefit from it. Most 'Small Government' preachers are disingenuous little turds. They have their hand out just like so many others do.

It's pretty simple, they wanna screw the little guy average Worker by any means necessary. But the Workers are gonna fight back sometimes. And so, the age old war between Slave and Slave Master goes on. The Slave Master wins most often. But once and awhile the Slave gets a small victory. And that's the case on this one. It's a small victory, but the Slave Masters will seek revenge. Bet on that.
Well you're certainly for big government
You guys hate the idea we are all in this together even though it works best you want every man for himself. You want to and have rigged the rules in your favor now that you made it in the old system.

And next time you go after social program cuts take it from right wing special interest.

When it comes to paying your bills and supporting yourself it's you and you alone that are responsible.

Entire segments of first world manufacturing has been off-loaded to third world economies. Millions of jobs were lost in the process.

If you have a house, a car loan and a growing family, it's difficult to work and go to school to improve your skills, nor is it healthy for kids to grow up with parents who are either at work or too tired to parent them.

So what if it's difficult?

It's not supposed to be easy.

We have a good way to determine what a minimum wage should be. We allow the federal government to determine a minimum wage. That gets passed on to the state government to make adjustments if the state wishes. Finally, we allow county, town and city governments to make further adjustment the way Seattle did. Seattle decided to implement a incremental wage increase in their city. It pissed off some national bloggers and so an article was written claiming restaurants were closing all over Seattle. Even though media attacked the article as being a total misrepresentation and lie, there are still some indoctrinated right wingers who refuse to acknowledge the truth. Over 1500 post and we still have not heard or seen the name of a specific restaurant that closed in Seattle due to increased minimum wage.

Clearly, the phrase "good way" means something very different on your planet than it does on Earth. On Earth, this would be described by the phrase "shitty way".
Passing laws through three levels of legislation, approval by three levels of Executive administrations and validated by multiple levels of the judicial branches is a shitty way to make laws according to you? Sounds like you just hate how democracy works and America in general.

Having government determine what wages should be AT ALL is a shitty way. How did you manage to read this whole thread and not grasp that point of argument at any time? Reading comprehension not your strong point?
Um, that point has only been made in your imagination. The entire thread is based on the lie of the OP about restaurants having to close due to a boost of minimum wages to 15.00 per hour. Total lie that has been proven to be a lie over and over. No restaurants closing for that reason. None. Not one.
Determining a minimum wage in a particular community such as a city is a way for voters to determine a quality of life and standard of living for their community. You seem to belong to that group of folks that believe business and the profit of business should be the determining factor. You object to citizens voting for laws that improve the quality of life in a community or the expression of moral, ethical and religious beliefs. Thankfully we live in a democracy where we allow voters to make at least some of the basic decisions that determine these things. We haven't gone full fascism yet, but thanks to folks like you kleptocracy in making great progress.

No, Chuckles. It may or may not have been proven conclusively to your satisfaction, but it has been made multiple times.

Learn to speak English.

Thank you, by the way, for validating my assertion that you've - allegedly - read the whole thread without comprehending a single thing that was said outside the reverberations of your own little propaganda echo chamber. You clearly understand nothing about who I am, what I believe, what I've SAID, the reasons why I've said them, or what "group" I belong to.

Do not waste my time and screenspace projecting your bullshit kneejerk hate onto me again. Get a microscope, find your mind, and open it enough to hear and contemplate other points of view.
Posting page after page of post in the middle of the night doesn't change the fact that you can not list or give a link to show one single restaurant in Seattle having to close due to implementation of a 15.00 per hour minimum wage. No restaurants were closed for that reason and the minimum wage law is incremental and the 15.00 pay will not come into effect for years. That means everything claimed in the OP is a lie. Your insistence that that the OP's claims have been "proven conclusively" is just the perpetuation of the lie.

So we can confirm that this whole thread is horsesh*t...

But don't worry this won't make the Hype Right here feel embarrassed in any way...

Yup. A happy prosperous worker makes for a better productive worker.

It's up to the worker to make himself both happy and prosperous not his employer

True, ya gotta fight for it. No one's gonna give ya anything. That's why it is probably time for Unions to make a big comeback. There's strength in numbers. Once the Helots realized that, they kicked mighty Spartan ass. Workers do have power. Now they just need to get their shit together and wield that power.
It's going in the opposite direction. As people are now being given a choice more than ever, they aren't choosing unions. I get the feeling you want to repeal right to work and start forcing people into unions again because that's the only way they will make a "great comeback". You've already been exposed as a liar for claiming to be libertarian, might as well drop the maskirovka altogether.

When it comes to American Workers, it's... 'VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!' for me. It's time for them to fight back. Time for American Helots to rise.

Yeah, because people who can't get their shit together enough to get above minimum wage by the time they're 25 are DEFINITELY going to be able to make a successful revolution happen. :eusa_hand:
Unskilled and uneducated men organized before.

Clearly, the phrase "good way" means something very different on your planet than it does on Earth. On Earth, this would be described by the phrase "shitty way".
Passing laws through three levels of legislation, approval by three levels of Executive administrations and validated by multiple levels of the judicial branches is a shitty way to make laws according to you? Sounds like you just hate how democracy works and America in general.

Having government determine what wages should be AT ALL is a shitty way. How did you manage to read this whole thread and not grasp that point of argument at any time? Reading comprehension not your strong point?
Um, that point has only been made in your imagination. The entire thread is based on the lie of the OP about restaurants having to close due to a boost of minimum wages to 15.00 per hour. Total lie that has been proven to be a lie over and over. No restaurants closing for that reason. None. Not one.
Determining a minimum wage in a particular community such as a city is a way for voters to determine a quality of life and standard of living for their community. You seem to belong to that group of folks that believe business and the profit of business should be the determining factor. You object to citizens voting for laws that improve the quality of life in a community or the expression of moral, ethical and religious beliefs. Thankfully we live in a democracy where we allow voters to make at least some of the basic decisions that determine these things. We haven't gone full fascism yet, but thanks to folks like you kleptocracy in making great progress.

No, Chuckles. It may or may not have been proven conclusively to your satisfaction, but it has been made multiple times.

Learn to speak English.

Thank you, by the way, for validating my assertion that you've - allegedly - read the whole thread without comprehending a single thing that was said outside the reverberations of your own little propaganda echo chamber. You clearly understand nothing about who I am, what I believe, what I've SAID, the reasons why I've said them, or what "group" I belong to.

Do not waste my time and screenspace projecting your bullshit kneejerk hate onto me again. Get a microscope, find your mind, and open it enough to hear and contemplate other points of view.
Posting page after page of post in the middle of the night doesn't change the fact that you can not list or give a link to show one single restaurant in Seattle having to close due to implementation of a 15.00 per hour minimum wage. No restaurants were closed for that reason and the minimum wage law is incremental and the 15.00 pay will not come into effect for years. That means everything claimed in the OP is a lie. Your insistence that that the OP's claims have been "proven conclusively" is just the perpetuation of the lie.

Time will tell. The article was jumping the gun. The closings may have been purely coincidental.

The Seattle experiment should provide enough evidence to show the true believers what is already obvious to the rational observer. Of course evidence doesn't have much sway with dedicated "deniars".

Pay more they'll smile.

Yup. A happy prosperous worker makes for a better productive worker.

It's up to the worker to make himself both happy and prosperous not his employer

True, ya gotta fight for it. No one's gonna give ya anything. That's why it is probably time for Unions to make a big comeback. There's strength in numbers. Once the Helots realized that, they kicked mighty Spartan ass. Workers do have power. Now they just need to get their shit together and wield that power.

Let them go on strike.

I know if I was looking for a job I would cross a picket line I bet there are millions of others who would too.

In the past unions had a place and fought for things like safe working conditions but no union movement is going to convince anyone that stuffing shit into a bag is a 15 an hour job

Some years ago, I worked for the USPS, which is a union shop - the APWU - but does not force employees to join. It does, however, require the APWU to represent all workers as necessary, regardless of whether they're members or not. It's the tradeoff for the good working relationship the union has with the Postal Service.

When I started, I was getting $12.50 an hour. By the time I left almost two years later, I was getting $15 an hour. I got a merit-based raise on my yearly performance review, and left right before my second review. All the rest of that increase came strictly from union negotiations driving the employees' wages up and up, regardless of merit and with no increases in responsibilities or performance standards.

Where's the USPS now? Case closed.
The GOP are purposely trying to ruin the USPS by over funding the pension fund. Then they will steal the pension $

Learn to speak English.

Time will tell. The article was jumping the gun. The closings may have been purely coincidental.

The Seattle experiment should provide enough evidence to show the true believers what is already obvious to the rational observer. Of course evidence doesn't have much sway with dedicated "deniars".
Not a very good situation to test or experiment with the issue. Washington State already has a inflation adjusted minimum wage that currently stands at 9.47 per hour. The Seattle law will initially only raise the wages 3 cents per hour to 9.50. There is no sure and guaranteed way to predict how much the inflation rate will raise the minimum in the next few years. Probably would be better to follow results in an area that makes an initial increase of more significance.

Learn to speak English.

Not a very good situation to test or experiment with the issue. Washington State already has a inflation adjusted minimum wage that currently stands at 9.47 per hour. The Seattle law will initially only raise the wages 3 cents per hour to 9.50. There is no sure and guaranteed way to predict how much the inflation rate will raise the minimum in the next few years. Probably would be better to follow results in an area that makes an initial increase of more significance.

That's the thing, they'll never do that. People like to site that there's little historical evidence that minimum wage laws have negative consequences. But the minimum has always been so low as to be of little consequence in general.

Tomorrow's the day when all the restaurants in Seattle go out of business because they can't afford to pay the help anymore.

Better eat hearty tonight Seattlans for tomorrow you starve or have to start cooking for yourselves.

Last edited:
Nah, it's actually a pretty accurate portrayal. You guys are too quick to insult American Workers while licking Corporate Boots. But like i said, most Americans root for the underdog. You guys are in real trouble in General Elections for the foreseeable future.

11mgo4k.jpg

You're clearly a Corporate Bootlicker who suffers from 'Stockholm Syndrome.' You empathize with and worship your captor. But i do understand, you're all-in on the years & years of Corporate Propaganda you've been exposed to. Most of my Republican friends suffer from 'Stockholm Syndrome.' They worship the very people who wish them the most harm. It's an illness.
11mgo4k.jpg

Most Republicans i know, suffer from 'Stockholm Syndrome.' Their Corporate Bootlicking is an expression of empathy and worship of their captor. They either suffer from 'Stockholm Syndrome', or they're part of the gang constantly screwing American Workers. It's a combination. Most are worshipping the very people who want to harm them the most. I actually feel a bit sorry for them. They know not what they do.
11mgo4k.jpg

Both sides have their arguments and this will be an interesting experiment for the rest of the country to watch. Seattle is big city so this increase could affect many people. It remain to see what current or potential Seattle employers will do. We all know what choices they have.

Edit:
If anyone can pull this off it's Seattle, since they already have higher minimum wage then feds, so hopefully this works.

However, a couple thoughts that don't always get noticed behind the doom and gloom claims of unemployment and higher prices:

What effect will this increase have in a different city that might try to follow it, especially poor inner city (think Detroit)?

Would a high minimum wage encourage one to abandon school and start earning, for those who are lucky enough to get a position? For those who can't, does this eliminate jobs that are worth having at $10/hr but not $15/hr, thus eliminating an opportunity to gain experience and learn skills.

This likely hurts the young the most. Although Seattle might weather it fine, I can only imagine what it'd be like in Chicago.

Last edited:
So we can confirm that this whole thread is horsesh*t...

But don't worry this won't make the Hype Right here feel embarrassed in any way...

The MW argument is a valid one regardless of the validity of the impetus of the discussion

That's the thing, they'll never do that. People like to site that there's little historical evidence that minimum wage laws have negative consequences. But the minimum has always been so low as to be of little consequence in general.

Of course there are consequences. Lets talk about restaurant. Is it cheaper to have prep crew to wash and chop salad heads and other veggies into salad or to just buy premaid salad mix and throw it onto plate? What's the difference between two? Labor. If we compare Seattle with some cheaper inner city, I think that guy that chop salad in Seattle is about to lose his job in favor to some other guy that makes premixed salad for less money elsewhere.

Entire segments of first world manufacturing has been off-loaded to third world economies. Millions of jobs were lost in the process.

If you have a house, a car loan and a growing family, it's difficult to work and go to school to improve your skills, nor is it healthy for kids to grow up with parents who are either at work or too tired to parent them.
True, some good jobs have been lost in THIS country. The flip side of that coin is that thousands of people in desperately poor conditions around the world can now afford to feed their families because they are doing those jobs. Depends how you look at it.

Forum List

Back