Breaking News...FAR right wing Supreme Court strikes down Miranda rights 5-4

What ever happened to the right to keep your mouth shut? If you dont want to incriminate yourself then keep your mouth shut. If you havent got your lies in order to cover your own ass, keep your mouth shut.

If you are to stupid to keep your mouth shut to bad for you. If your to stupid to say "I don't want to talk and I want a lawyer" to bad for you.

Personal responsibility folks, pretty dimple concept.

The right to keep your mouth shut CAN be used against you. Educate yourself on United States v. Frazier...Post-Arrest, Pre-Miranda Silence

And what part of open you mouth and take responsibility and say "Im not talking and I want my lawyer" did you see me say?

Unfortunately, there are two groups of people that know the law inside out. And innocent people are not one of them.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
Thomas Jefferson

The right to keep your mouth shut CAN be used against you. Educate yourself on United States v. Frazier...Post-Arrest, Pre-Miranda Silence

And what part of open you mouth and take responsibility and say "Im not talking and I want my lawyer" did you see me say?

Unfortunately, there are two groups of people that know the law inside out. And innocent people are not one of them.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
Thomas Jefferson

So the guilty know they need to keep their mouths shut better then anyone else is what your saying. And miranda is for the innocent?

I think miranda is something for the guilty to use to try and get off.

I'm not sure what the big deal is here, or why this even went to the supreme court.

Don't you pretty much waive your right to remain silent by not remaining silent?

Thomas Jefferson

So the guilty know they need to keep their mouths shut better then anyone else is what your saying. And miranda is for the innocent?

Did the thought ever cross your little pea brain mind that there are policeman that are not honest? HOW should the laws protect us from them? These are issues for adults. You don't qualify...

Thomas Jefferson

Did the thought ever cross your little pea brain mind that there are policeman that are not honest? HOW should the laws protect us from them? These are issues for adults. You don't qualify...

Again a very simple concept, personal responsibility. Or is that concept hard to understand for an adult?

Bfgrn,

You seem to have a very strong opinion about this and at least appear to be somewhat educated on the subject matter. Now, I understand that the cop jedi mind-tricked the suspect into incriminating himself, but I don't see how this was a violation of his rights. Can you explain to me why you are adamant that it was?

Again a very simple concept, personal responsibility. Or is that concept hard to understand for an adult?

Personal responsibility is a bogus argument. Laws should not be a chinese finger. Do you understand the presumption of innocence and how that separates our system from police states?

What is totally mind-boggling is this ruling is something we'd expect from a Communist regime, not an American Supreme Court.

You right wing pea brains THINK you're tough on crime, but all you're really tough on is freedom and liberty. It is what blind statists believe...their beloved state and it's agents are never in error.

It is more dangerous that even a guilty person should be punished without the forms of law than that he should escape.
Thomas Jefferson

Repeating 'personal responsibility' over and over is not answer to that question.

Bfgrn,

You seem to have a very strong opinion about this and at least appear to be somewhat educated on the subject matter. Now, I understand that the cop jedi mind-tricked the suspect into incriminating himself, but I don't see how this was a violation of his rights. Can you explain to me why you are adamant that it was?

What concerns me about this ruling, besides the fact we have an activist court making laws, is that this ruling changes the Miranda law going forward. It chips away at the presumption of innocence. If you are ever arrested, your innocence will be little protection, and you best know that going forward. People that knowingly commit crime know the laws. It is the innocent person that usually says something out of anger or incredulity that gets them in trouble.

Bfgrn,

What concerns me about this ruling, besides the fact we have an activist court making laws, is that this ruling changes the Miranda law going forward. It chips away at the presumption of innocence. If you are ever arrested, your innocence will be little protection, and you best know that going forward. People that knowingly commit crime know the laws. It is the innocent person that usually says something out of anger or incredulity that gets them in trouble.

How does it change the miranda law?

How does it chip away at the presumption of innocence?

How were the suspect's rights violated?

I'm not trying to be intentionally thick or antagonistic, but I just don't see it.

Right wing scumbags won't let murderers walk EVEN AFTER THEY ADMIT TO THE DEED!!!

If you honestly think innocent people are never intimidated or threatened into giving a false confession ... well you have a lot to learn.

i'm sure innocent people confess to murder all the time

20775-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-Friendly-Male-Police-Officer-In-A-Blue-Uniform-And-White-Gloves-Holding-His-Hand-Up-And-Blowing-A-Whistle-While-Directint-Traffic.jpg

December 2007, Page 30

The Problem of False Confession in America

By Richard A. Leo

In 1998 two young boys in Chicago – ages seven and eight – were charged with murdering an eleven-year-old girl named Ryan Harris. She had been badly beaten around the head, her underpants had been stuffed into her mouth, and she appeared to have been sexually assaulted. After an unrecorded interrogation, the two boys “confessed” to hitting Harris in the head with a brick (and then stuffing leaves and grass in her nose) in order to steal her bicycle. Largely because of the boys’ ages, the case attracted national media attention. The country was horrified that two prepubescent boys were capable of committing so savage a crime. Although the evidence pointed to an adult sex crime, the police insisted that the two boys were not too young to have done it, and that they knew details that could only be known to the detectives or the perpetrators.

Months later, however, the Illinois State Crime Laboratory discovered semen on Ryan Harris’ underpants – evidence that the crime could not have been committed by suspects as young as seven and eight – and prosecutors dismissed the charges. The collected DNA was later shown to match the DNA of Floyd Durr, an adult already charged with sexually assaulting three other young girls in the same neighborhood. Durr subsequently admitted being present and committing a sex act over Harris’ body.1

The Ryan Harris case is not an isolated one. Nor are false confessions limited to children or teenagers. In recent years, police have elicited a substantial number of demonstrably false confessions from adults.2 Many of these false confessions have led to erroneous prosecutions, and some have led to wrongful convictions and incarceration.3 Some of the wrongfully convicted false confessors have spent many years unjustly incarcerated before being exonerated and released; others remain behind bars.4 A number of exonerated false confessors were convicted of capital crimes and sentenced to death.5 One false confessor, Earl Washington, spent almost ten of his more than seventeen years of imprisonment on Virginia’s death row and came within nine days of being executed before being exonerated in 2001.6 Researchers and activists believe that several other innocent confessors have been executed – Edward Earl Johnson in 1987,7 Barry Lee Fairchild in 1995,8 Leo Jones in 1998,9 and Dobie Gillis Williams in 1999.10

Throughout American history, police-induced false confessions have been among the leading causes of wrongful conviction.11 It is easy to understand how beatings, torture, sleep deprivation, and threats of violence may lead an innocent suspect to falsely confess. Yet with psychological interrogation methods, the idea that an innocent person would confess to a crime he did not commit – particularly to a felony that carries the possibility of a lengthy prison sentence or even the death penalty – is highly counter-intuitive.12
The Problem of False Confession in America

What you folks need to understand is, that once police focus on a suspect, any and all conversations they have with him/her are for one purpose and one purpose only - to get the suspect to say something that will incriminate him/her. They are not "trying to learn the truth." They don't want to hear the truth, unless it fortifies their already made up minds on the subject of the suspect's guilt.

Even with the police required to give Miranda warnings, the vast majority of misguided suspects will spill their guts to the cops, thinking it will help them out of the situation they find themselves in. Cops lie to suspects at every turn in order to get them to talk, i.e., confess.

The defendant has told the field officers who came to arrest him that he wasn't anywhere near the crime scene. He didn't even know the dead guy. (And this happens to be the truth.) Now, here comes the detective in the "interview" room, following the suspect's arrest:

"Look, I understand how these things happen. He comes at you, you defend yourself. If that's they way it went down, you aren't guilty of anything and should have this whole thing cleared up in a couple of days at the outside. On the other hand, it this investigation proceeds they way it looks now, without your input, you could well be finding yourself headed toward the death penalty. So what happened? Was it self defense?"

Now, all of a sudden, the innocent suspect is being confronted with a choice: implicate yourself in such a manner that you will "have the matter all cleared up in a couple of days" or face the possibility of the death penalty. Ever wonder why innocent people confess to crimes they did not commit?

So that's why Miranda is SO important. I have not had a chance to fully digest the OP yet. When I do, I'll be back . . .

Do the American people need any MORE evidence right wing America is ANTI-freedom? What NEXT, guilty until proven innocent???

Court: Suspects must say they want to be silent

By JESSE J. HOLLAND (AP) – 1 hour ago

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that suspects must explicitly tell police they want to be silent to invoke Miranda protections during criminal interrogations, a decision one dissenting justice said turns defendants' rights "upside down."

A right to remain silent and a right to a lawyer are the first of the Miranda rights warnings, which police recite to suspects during arrests and interrogations. But the justices said in a 5-4 decision that suspects must tell police they are going to remain silent to stop an interrogation, just as they must tell police that they want a lawyer.

Justice Sonia Sotomayor, the court's newest member, wrote a strongly worded dissent for the court's liberals, saying the majority's decision "turns Miranda upside down."

"Criminal suspects must now unambiguously invoke their right to remain silent — which counter-intuitively, requires them to speak," she said. "At the same time, suspects will be legally presumed to have waived their rights even if they have given no clear expression of their intent to do so. Those results, in my view, find no basis in Miranda or our subsequent cases and are inconsistent with the fair-trial principles on which those precedents are grounded."

A great ruling. Our justice system is a complete joke which heavily favors the criminals. God only knows how many cases were lost/dismissed because a criminal had their initial statements thrown out as inadmissible evidence.

Forum List

Back