Breaking" High School shooting at Wash State High School

To me, the bottom line is that if we look at other countries with strict gun laws, they have a great deal less gun violence, and they do not have, as a regular event, these school, mall, cinema, etc., shootings. The US must impose much stricter gun laws if we are ever to have a reality that does not include our children being shot down at school.

"More than 2.1 million illegal firearms sales -- including 1 million attempted purchases by convicted felons -- have been stopped in the 20 years since the enactment of the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, according to a new report.
But the
report released Friday by the Brady Campaign to Prevent Handgun Violence also stresses that millions of weapons are still being sold to buyers who are prohibited from owning them. Roughly 40 percent of gun purchases, including guns sold online and at gun shows by unlicensed sellers, are not subject to the background checks."

Washington Post

2.1 million gun sales stopped by background checks in 20 years Brady report finds - The Washington Post
How many went to jail for illegally trying to buy a gun?

As far as I know, it is not illegal to try to buy a gun. It is illegal for certain people to actually buy one.

So does anyone have any actual information about the Seattle shooter why he did what he did where and how he got the gun he used or is everyone just going straight to their usual right and left talking points?
Marysville is not Seattle. Marysville is 35 miles from Seattle. I lived in Seattle for 13 years and never went there. It's a small town 35 miles from Seattle.
Thanks for the info but it doesn't answer my question.
My point is that this is not a Seattle shooting. It took place in a small town 35 miles away.

So does anyone have any actual information about the Seattle shooter why he did what he did where and how he got the gun he used or is everyone just going straight to their usual right and left talking points?
Marysville is not Seattle. Marysville is 35 miles from Seattle. I lived in Seattle for 13 years and never went there. It's a small town 35 miles from Seattle.

The kid owned several guns. His parents just gave him a hunting rifle. Nobody knows if he owned the one he used at the school. He was depressed because his girl friend broke up with him.
I wonder did the kid actually own several guns or did the parents? It seems a bit odd a high school kid owning several guns.
Most likely it is his parents' gun. A gun they did not keep locked up and out of the hands of their 14 year old son. This lack of parents being very careful about gun ownership is a reason for stricter gun laws.

The kid owned several guns. His parents just gave him a hunting rifle. Nobody knows if he owned the one he used at the school. He was depressed because his girl friend broke up with him.
I wonder did the kid actually own several guns or did the parents? It seems a bit odd a high school kid owning several guns.

Apparently, the whole family was heavily into hunting, which would be no surprise, being native Americans.

Apparently, the whole family was heavily into hunting, which would be no surprise, being native Americans.
Likely. But having a hand gun is another story. People don't use hand guns for hunting.

To me, the bottom line is that if we look at other countries with strict gun laws, they have a great deal less gun violence, and they do not have, as a regular event, these school, mall, cinema, etc., shootings. The US must impose much stricter gun laws if we are ever to have a reality that does not include our children being shot down at school.
So, do you want to take guns away from just the criminals or EVERYBODY?

Most likely it is his parents' gun. A gun they did not keep locked up and out of the hands of their 14 year old son. This lack of parents being very careful about gun ownership is a reason for stricter gun laws.
It may well be the parents gun we don't know if it was locked up or not and I would take you back to Newtown the mother owned those guns bought them legally and had them securely locked up her son still got them.

Likely. But having a hand gun is another story. People don't use hand guns for hunting.

Agreed.

I would use the guns laws of a country that has them strict enough to prevent the type of gun violence we have in the US. Use their laws as a model and impose them on America. It makes sense: if something works, it's a good model. Obviously, the gun laws we have in the US are not working.

I don't think that this kid was an outright psycho. He just seemed to have gone over the edge because of hormonal changes that happen to 14 year old boys, so background checks would not have helped in this instance.

However, I can't for the life of me see what the hell the Right has against background checks. I have bought three guns in 4 years, and had background checks. they cost $25, and take 5 minutes. We also do background checks on people who want to join the Sheriff's auxiliary where I volunteer. Amazingly enough, we turn down about 4 applicants per year who have felony convictions, who, for some reason, don't think that we will notice.

Good thing we had a teacher there who took action.

I might hold off on that idea...I have heard the kid killed himself...if the teacher grabbed him...kind of hard to do...

However, I can't for the life of me see what the hell the Right has against background checks.

Hmmmm...perhaps because it was illegal for this kid to own the handgun, it was illegal for the kid to carry it to school, it was illegal to have the gun at school because it was a gun free zone, and it was illegal for him to kill people...and because of all the above...I have to ask...at 14, he couldn't undergo a background check because he couldn't legally own the hand gun....soooo...do we need super duper back ground checks for 14 year olds who can't own guns anyway....?

This lack of parents being very careful about gun ownership is a reason for stricter gun laws.

And which law would correct the problem of a 14 year old stealing a gun from his parents...? Perhaps a law that said....we really, really mean it when we say 14 year olds can't use a gun to murder innocent people?

People don't use hand guns for hunting.

Actually, they do...you should research the issues before you say stuff like this...

They have magazines dedicated to just this type of shooting...

With gun control a hot topic in the upcoming local election, more kids are gun down at school.

142521_MarysvilleShooting_1246_mh-620x467.jpg
Why are blue state kids so murderous?
================
they are liberfools who have the attitude they do NOT need any discipline of morality.

I would use the guns laws of a country that has them strict enough to prevent the type of gun violence we have in the US. Use their laws as a model and impose them on America. It makes sense: if something works, it's a good model. Obviously, the gun laws we have in the US are not working.
Neither is multiculturalism, neither is border patrol, neither is immigration, neither is liberal economic theory.

However, I can't for the life of me see what the hell the Right has against background checks.

Hmmmm...perhaps because it was illegal for this kid to own the handgun, it was illegal for the kid to carry it to school, it was illegal to have the gun at school because it was a gun free zone, and it was illegal for him to kill people...and because of all the above...I have to ask...at 14, he couldn't undergo a background check because he couldn't legally own the hand gun....soooo...do we need super duper back ground checks for 14 year olds who can't own guns anyway....?

Well, now, Billc, does the following help you focus on the issue at hand? (keeping in mind that I stated in post 46 that this particular tragedy would not have been prevented by background checks)

"More than 2.1 million illegal firearms sales -- including 1 million attempted purchases by convicted felons -- have been stopped in the 20 years since the enactment of the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, according to a new report.
But the
report released Friday by the Brady Campaign to Prevent Handgun Violence also stresses that millions of weapons are still being sold to buyers who are prohibited from owning them. Roughly 40 percent of gun purchases, including guns sold online and at gun shows by unlicensed sellers, are not subject to the background checks."

Washington Post

2.1 million gun sales stopped by background checks in 20 years Brady report finds - The Washington Post

Forum List

Back