BREAKING: Docs don't want the way they're paid to change

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Greenbeard, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    Shocking stuff. Or not. :doubt:

We're approaching nearly $3 trillion flowing into the health sector every year and doctors aren't particularly looking to change that.

2. AmyNation

AmyNation Road Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    I saw an interesting piece on the news the other night. The ACA fines hospitals who have a high readmittance rate, because a large precent of that is due to infections caused by the hospital.

Well the piece was about a hospital(who 1st complained about the fine and how they would be compensated less for readmitting people) who set up cameras on the floor to watch doctors and nurses to see if they were following hand washing protocol, then they would post the precent at the end of each shift.

They started with less than 10% following, and it increased 90% after they started posting it. It was a total success.

My 1st thought after watching was "hey, something good about the ACA!" :)

3. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    That's a good example of the broader point: payment heavily influences delivery. And if we want better results and smarter, more effective, higher quality care delivery we need to pay for care in a way that encourages that. That financial pressure is key to facilitating change among docs and hospitals, even if they try to defend the status quo at first.

As the OP indicates, the readmissions payment policy is just one of many attempts that are now ongoing to change the way care is paid for to encourage better results. It's an exciting time.

Here's a recent story out of North Carolina on how that policy in particular is supposed to work:

That policy, like all of them, may need tweaking in the future (this whole thing is the beginning of a long journey) but this is the direction we need to go.

But the docs and hospitals can be tough to win over.

4. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,772
    ... which is why it hasn't changed.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  5. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    It's changing as we speak. The transition away from straight fee-for-service and toward more accountable payment structures has already begun.

6. kiwiman127

kiwiman127 Comfortably Moderate Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    4th Cleanest City in the World-Minneapolis
    Ratings:
    +3,843
    Well, if the physicians don't like it where are they going to go to practice?
    The US, Mexico and Turkey are the only developed countries that don't have some form of socialized medicine for their core population.

7. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Gee, I wonder where I heard this before.

Oh, I remember, I posted about this before Obamacare got passed, and you posted a lot of studies that proved how stupid I was for thinking that the entire planet would not bow down to the wisdom of progressive activism manifested through government control of medical care.

I would be the bigger man here, but I prefer to say neener neener.

8. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,953
    People paying for their own stuff is still the most accountable payment structure the world has ever known

9. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,772
    Not really. PPACA does much more to preserve the status quo than it does to change anything. Health care prices will continue to outpace general inflation, doctors, hospitals, big pharma, etc, etc.. will continue to be overpaid. The obvious, overriding purpose of ACA was to secure the established interests in the health care game, consolidating control under a mandated regulatory structure.

I'm not sure we'll ever be able to recover from this sellout.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    True. Now one wonders where the docs will be coming from? Would you go into medicine today? If you were over 50 and had substantial investments and portfolio, would you not retire, than deal with the nonsense coming?

Many want to punish and 'get people thinking right', meaning your way. You might just find that we're going to facing an absence of docs on the level of rural areas. Worse, the young are not stupid. Regardless of those that feel a 'pull' towards medicine, the writing is on the wall.