Boycott BP

I don't know how to go about seeking vengence on BP for desecration of the Gulf. I am beside myself. My best friend #3 was going to St. George Island with her family for Mother's Day this weekend. But they will probably cancel because the oil slick will have reached those sugary sand beaches by then.

About a month after the ocean's shores have been befouled, the inland waterways will begin showing the devasation. The Wakulla River, where my kidlet taught me to canoe. The St. John's River, where we hung out in a biker bar in St. Mark's on Fridays after work, eating broiled shrimp and drinking cheap beer, just watching the Earth do it's thing.

Eventually the oil will travel the underground and above-ground aquifer to every Florida body of water, including the beleagered Everglades...a natural phenomena unparrelled on Planet Earth and precious not only to Florida, but to the entire Planet for the role it plays in our wildlife, ecosystem and so on.

Death would not be too severe a punishment for BP's CEO, as I see it.

Don't buy BP gasoline!​

Try to boycott, especially if you are purchasing large quantities for a commercial trucking, farming or airline business.

I welcome any additional ideas on how to afflict BP.

I am just heart broken. I cannot tell you what this preventable insult to the Earth will be like for all of Florida, and beyond.

YouTube - Jimmy Buffett save the manatee

Vengeance? Isn't that the kind of thing a liberal should be against? Vengeance brings more vengeance remember?

Funny how those oh so self-righteous liberal sensibilities go out the window when its convenient... Well if its vengeance you seek, take it out on your lifestyle.. After all if you follow the trail back to its source, and get to the core of the entire evil you will find consumerism and modern lifestyles the prime culprit...

If there wasn't an ever increasing need for oil, we wouldn't be drilling there. If there really was a viable alternative oil wouldn't be an issue.

BP nor the owners of the rig wanted a disaster like this, it hurts them publicly, in a very hard and very hard to get past way. not to mention the sheer costs and legalities to follow. Also loss of property, loss of revenue from the oil, and various other things. They did not take shortcuts or skirt any regulations in place, they were just inspected recently and passed.

This was an accident. A very tragic and unfortunate accident and nothing more. They will pay for the clean-up and damages, in fact who do you think will be the main employer of those doing the cleaning? BP will of course just as EXXON did before.

Vengeance? Really? Then look to your car, your house, your boat, your electricity, your medicine, your consumables, your food, your water, and even your very existence.

Perhaps. I think it will take time to analyse what exactly went wrong on the rig...but it really does not matter, legally. The BP Corp. is Strictly Liable for the spill and all its consequences.

I am not a "Greenie". I can throw a plastic container into the trash without weeping. But I protested against the Alaskan Oil Pipeline, I have agitated for/against EPA activities, and I do care about the State of Florida because I lived and loved there.

How innocent of bio-impact must I be before I am ethically able to condemn BP?

And where on Earth did you ever get the idea that all Liberals are sweetie-pies who cannot get angry? Miss the 1960's entirely did ya?

Nice response! Seriously you got me on the 60's remark.....:lol::lol:

I concede that to you...

However, I do feel for the desire to lash out, I cannot stress enough how this is not the way to effect real change.... All this WILL do is push a bill and legislation through that is not designed nor intended to save any environment. Cap and trade is about CO2 and CO2 only, it will not address anything such as this. And whats more giving an opportunity for greedy business men to make the make money off the product AND the effects of using it is the work of insanity in regards to reduction.

I do know BP will pay dearly, as will the owners of the rig, and rightly so. And that in reality is all we can hope to get out of this. There can never be enough legislation to counter every possible thing that can happen. Only thing it does is generate revenue for politicians and government. And whats worse the most of that revenue will go to feeding the infrastructure whose job it is to regulate those new regulations.

We get a law requiring a new switch or cut-off valve, and what would it change? Well the fact is it wouldn't change anything in regards to this spill or any like it. The explosion was beneath where any such switch would have been. And since we cannot regulate natural disasters, or every possible accident imaginable, the legislation is a waste.... Sure it may stop some kinds of accidents which haven't occurred yet to my knowledge, but it will not stop this type of accident..

I am very sorry for the damage to the environment, but new legislation will only feed itself and not change anything...

So, according to net sources (shudder), the most expensive gas in the US is in CA, at $3 a gallon. In the UK, it's $7.18.

You want better safety..... FUCKING PAY MORE FOR YOUR GAS!

Last edited:
boycott ....no ...calling for the death of the CEO .... YES! The taxpayers are already footing a portion of the bill!!!!! It's called the US Coast Guard and the US Navy being on scene and providing support...do you want them to do the entire clean up now?

Well, alright, calling for the death of the CEO is a bit extreme. I'll give you that.

Though if deaths occur from this, like say from cancer from the pollutants, that would be murder by negligence, wouldn't it?

As far as the other part goes, I want BP to pay for this anyway. Personally I don't care if they go bankrupt from legal fees. They fucking destroyed the Gulf! My father's half of the family lives in Tampa.

The issue is not just with the likes of BP, it's the fact that NO ONE can guarantee any operation will run flawlessly, regardless of it's nature.Everyone knows the risks, this unfortunate ACCIDENT, is going to be with us for a very long time.

No on can guarantee anything, but with BP's record of wrecklessness and general disregard, they were nearly guaranteeing that something like thing would eventually happen.

But hey - lets just pretend it was some magical random accident.

Sure, if you like to call something caused out of negligence an "accident" - whatever. I know I'm just a mere human, I have no right to question a corporation.

HOW DOES THAT CHANGE THE FACT I'M BREATHING OIL FUMES RIGHT NOW?

Nevermind the fact they are putting people out of business for years to come, I guess they shouldn't have to pay for that - those people can just go fuck themselves, right? "Hey Forest Gump, FUCK YOU!" is what BP should tell them?

Always the victim.

Oh, the drama.

Spidey is a professional victim and has a lucrative sideline in dramatic ranting. He's good, isn't he?

And Cali Girl is a professional ....... what? Trust fund baby?

How to stop breathing Oil Fumes
Step 1. Procure a plastic bag.
Step 2. Pull it over your head and seal it tightly
Step 3. Take numerous deep breaths

Ha ha that's SOOOO funny! Whenever people with health problems are forced to stay indoors because of toxic fumes filling the city they live in, I get a real kick out of it, because I'm just as big of a soulless loser prick as you!

How to stop breathing Oil Fumes
Step 1. Procure a plastic bag.
Step 2. Pull it over your head and seal it tightly
Step 3. Take numerous deep breaths

Ha ha that's SOOOO funny! Whenever people with health problems are forced to stay indoors because of toxic fumes filling the city they live in, I get a real kick out of it, because I'm just as big of a soulless loser prick as you!

The bag seems to have a leak....get some duct tape, cover it over and go back to step one...

Vengeance? Isn't that the kind of thing a liberal should be against? Vengeance brings more vengeance remember?

Funny how those oh so self-righteous liberal sensibilities go out the window when its convenient... Well if its vengeance you seek, take it out on your lifestyle.. After all if you follow the trail back to its source, and get to the core of the entire evil you will find consumerism and modern lifestyles the prime culprit...

If there wasn't an ever increasing need for oil, we wouldn't be drilling there. If there really was a viable alternative oil wouldn't be an issue.

BP nor the owners of the rig wanted a disaster like this, it hurts them publicly, in a very hard and very hard to get past way. not to mention the sheer costs and legalities to follow. Also loss of property, loss of revenue from the oil, and various other things. They did not take shortcuts or skirt any regulations in place, they were just inspected recently and passed.

This was an accident. A very tragic and unfortunate accident and nothing more. They will pay for the clean-up and damages, in fact who do you think will be the main employer of those doing the cleaning? BP will of course just as EXXON did before.

Vengeance? Really? Then look to your car, your house, your boat, your electricity, your medicine, your consumables, your food, your water, and even your very existence.

Perhaps. I think it will take time to analyse what exactly went wrong on the rig...but it really does not matter, legally. The BP Corp. is Strictly Liable for the spill and all its consequences.

I am not a "Greenie". I can throw a plastic container into the trash without weeping. But I protested against the Alaskan Oil Pipeline, I have agitated for/against EPA activities, and I do care about the State of Florida because I lived and loved there.

How innocent of bio-impact must I be before I am ethically able to condemn BP?

And where on Earth did you ever get the idea that all Liberals are sweetie-pies who cannot get angry? Miss the 1960's entirely did ya?

Nice response! Seriously you got me on the 60's remark.....:lol::lol:

I concede that to you...

However, I do feel for the desire to lash out, I cannot stress enough how this is not the way to effect real change.... All this WILL do is push a bill and legislation through that is not designed nor intended to save any environment. Cap and trade is about CO2 and CO2 only, it will not address anything such as this. And whats more giving an opportunity for greedy business men to make the make money off the product AND the effects of using it is the work of insanity in regards to reduction.

I do know BP will pay dearly, as will the owners of the rig, and rightly so. And that in reality is all we can hope to get out of this. There can never be enough legislation to counter every possible thing that can happen. Only thing it does is generate revenue for politicians and government. And whats worse the most of that revenue will go to feeding the infrastructure whose job it is to regulate those new regulations.

We get a law requiring a new switch or cut-off valve, and what would it change? Well the fact is it wouldn't change anything in regards to this spill or any like it. The explosion was beneath where any such switch would have been. And since we cannot regulate natural disasters, or every possible accident imaginable, the legislation is a waste.... Sure it may stop some kinds of accidents which haven't occurred yet to my knowledge, but it will not stop this type of accident..

I am very sorry for the damage to the environment, but new legislation will only feed itself and not change anything...

Regulations don't mattert if those in chgarge of enforcing the regulations reoutinely issue exemptions.

BP has lobbied the White House Council on Environmental Quality -- which provides NEPA guidance for all federal agencies-- to provide categorical exemptions more often. In an April 9 letter, BP America's senior federal affairs director, Margaret D. Laney, wrote to the council that such exemptions should be used in situations where environmental damage is likely to be "minimal or non-existent." An expansion in these waivers would help "avoid unnecessary paperwork and time delays," she added.

washingtonpost.com

BP: Recipients | OpenSecrets

boycott ....no ...calling for the death of the CEO .... YES! The taxpayers are already footing a portion of the bill!!!!! It's called the US Coast Guard and the US Navy being on scene and providing support...do you want them to do the entire clean up now?

Well, alright, calling for the death of the CEO is a bit extreme. I'll give you that.

Though if deaths occur from this, like say from cancer from the pollutants, that would be murder by negligence, wouldn't it?

As far as the other part goes, I want BP to pay for this anyway. Personally I don't care if they go bankrupt from legal fees. They fucking destroyed the Gulf! My father's half of the family lives in Tampa.

That would have to be proven in a court of law....a highly unlikely prospect....

and BP didn't destroy the Gulf.....now your sounding like a complete retard....

There is no "murder by negligence" - murder by definition requires specific intent to kill. A homicide resulting through negligence would be manslaughter or negligent homicide.

That doesn't mean this twerp doesn't deserve to be tarred and feathered. He can supply the tar.

There is no "murder by negligence" - murder by definition requires specific intent to kill. A homicide resulting through negligence would be manslaughter or negligent homicide.

That doesn't mean this twerp doesn't deserve to be tarred and feathered. He can supply the tar.

True, true, it would be manslaughter, I'll give you that, but on a very large scale.

I'd say hundreds of manslaughter charges should deserve a death sentence, if proven of course.

I'd much rather see BP as a corporation receive the death penalty. The best way to regulate corporations w/o actually having to put beurocrats up their asses 24/7 is to make sure the shareholders know that in the most egregious cases of neglect, their company will disappear and their investment with it.

That would have to be proven in a court of law....a highly unlikely prospect....

and BP didn't destroy the Gulf.....now your sounding like a complete retard....

They destroyed it for me, at least for the time being.

I go down there to swim in the crystal blue waters, and enjoy the wildlife. So much for that.

My sister is getting married on the beach in a few months, too bad the view will be ruined by oil slicks.

Forum List

Back