Boycott BP

Having lived in Tampa, Orange Park and Jacksonville, I certainly feel your outrage at the carelessness that was in play before this disaster took place and the loss of these natural treasures. So what should we do with the Obama Administration since they accepted the campaign contributions of BP then granted them exemptions from safety standards that would have prevented this catastrophe?

washingtonpost.com

BP: Recipients | OpenSecrets

Certainly BP is guilty of buying off our president, but our president is also guilty of willingly being bought off. Personally, I think I'll continue to buy BP products and boycott the corrupt Obama Administration that gave BP an exemption to safety standards.

Blah blah blah...been hashed and rehashed for days now. Campaign contributions have zero to do with this accident. None, nada, zip.

That's absolutely true. Campaign contributions are nothing to do with this. But.... Obama signed off on the drilling - and he did not regulate the industry prior to sign off. He's as responsible as BP, Transocean, the states and the American people who want cheap gas.

As President, he must take accountability, but he most certainly is not responsible.

Perhaps. I think it will take time to analyse what exactly went wrong on the rig...but it really does not matter, legally. The BP Corp. is Strictly Liable for the spill and all its consequences.

I am not a "Greenie". I can throw a plastic container into the trash without weeping. But I protested against the Alaskan Oil Pipeline, I have agitated for/against EPA activities, and I do care about the State of Florida because I lived and loved there.

How innocent of bio-impact must I be before I am ethically able to condemn BP?

And where on Earth did you ever get the idea that all Liberals are sweetie-pies who cannot get angry? Miss the 1960's entirely did ya?

Nice response! Seriously you got me on the 60's remark.....:lol::lol:

I concede that to you...

However, I do feel for the desire to lash out, I cannot stress enough how this is not the way to effect real change.... All this WILL do is push a bill and legislation through that is not designed nor intended to save any environment. Cap and trade is about CO2 and CO2 only, it will not address anything such as this. And whats more giving an opportunity for greedy business men to make the make money off the product AND the effects of using it is the work of insanity in regards to reduction.

I do know BP will pay dearly, as will the owners of the rig, and rightly so. And that in reality is all we can hope to get out of this. There can never be enough legislation to counter every possible thing that can happen. Only thing it does is generate revenue for politicians and government. And whats worse the most of that revenue will go to feeding the infrastructure whose job it is to regulate those new regulations.

We get a law requiring a new switch or cut-off valve, and what would it change? Well the fact is it wouldn't change anything in regards to this spill or any like it. The explosion was beneath where any such switch would have been. And since we cannot regulate natural disasters, or every possible accident imaginable, the legislation is a waste.... Sure it may stop some kinds of accidents which haven't occurred yet to my knowledge, but it will not stop this type of accident..

I am very sorry for the damage to the environment, but new legislation will only feed itself and not change anything...

Regulations don't mattert if those in chgarge of enforcing the regulations reoutinely issue exemptions.

BP has lobbied the White House Council on Environmental Quality -- which provides NEPA guidance for all federal agencies-- to provide categorical exemptions more often. In an April 9 letter, BP America's senior federal affairs director, Margaret D. Laney, wrote to the council that such exemptions should be used in situations where environmental damage is likely to be "minimal or non-existent." An expansion in these waivers would help "avoid unnecessary paperwork and time delays," she added.

washingtonpost.com

How about we prohibit off-shore drilling TOTALLY? Make the oil companies dismantle the freaking rigs? Given that the Alaska Pipeline is now like 30 years old and has a decent track record, "DRILL IN ALASKA" together with a REAL push towards reducing energy waste?

I happen to think if Tom Hayward got the needle, fewer oil spills would occur. Even making him do a 20 year stretch would have the desired detterent effect. I bet that would chill a helluva lot of reckless conduct. Merely because a regulation hammered out by Big Oil's lobbyists says something is adequate does NOT alter the laws of physics...a thing which explodes and belches millions of gallons of oil on the oceans is NOT SAFE.

I would have a freaking solar power thingie on my roof if one were available at a cost that made sense. How is it we can seriously be discussing putting a Man on Mars and yet wind and solar technology have made so few strides? Oil and coal continue to be consumed because Big Oil and Big Coal profit from it, not because us little people don't wish for better.

Blah blah blah...been hashed and rehashed for days now. Campaign contributions have zero to do with this accident. None, nada, zip.

That's absolutely true. Campaign contributions are nothing to do with this. But.... Obama signed off on the drilling - and he did not regulate the industry prior to sign off. He's as responsible as BP, Transocean, the states and the American people who want cheap gas.

As President, he must take accountability, but he most certainly is not responsible.

Much fun as bashing a pol can be, the fact is no legislator and no regulator pushed Big Oil to take chances, cut corners or avoid drilling for oil in places that were safer but might yield lower profits. Claiming that Obama is "responsible" is kinda sorta like blaming the cops chasing a madman who drives at 109 mph and kills 17 people for not having figured out how to stop the homicidal maniac sooner.

I don't much care for the "it's all our faults, so really, it's no one's fault" school of ethics. You intentionally harm another -- recklessly, or negligently, or maliciously -- they are nonetheless harmed due to YOUR actions, not the action of those who ought to have "caught you sooner".

WTF is up with all this ♥ love for BP ♥ anyways? Some of you fretting about BP stock prices falling?

Last edited:
I don't know how to go about seeking vengence on BP for desecration of the Gulf. I am beside myself. My best friend #3 was going to St. George Island with her family for Mother's Day this weekend. But they will probably cancel because the oil slick will have reached those sugary sand beaches by then.

About a month after the ocean's shores have been befouled, the inland waterways will begin showing the devasation. The Wakulla River, where my kidlet taught me to canoe. The St. John's River, where we hung out in a biker bar in St. Mark's on Fridays after work, eating broiled shrimp and drinking cheap beer, just watching the Earth do it's thing.

Eventually the oil will travel the underground and above-ground aquifer to every Florida body of water, including the beleagered Everglades...a natural phenomena unparrelled on Planet Earth and precious not only to Florida, but to the entire Planet for the role it plays in our wildlife, ecosystem and so on.

Death would not be too severe a punishment for BP's CEO, as I see it.

Don't buy BP gasoline!​

Try to boycott, especially if you are purchasing large quantities for a commercial trucking, farming or airline business.

I welcome any additional ideas on how to afflict BP.

I am just heart broken. I cannot tell you what this preventable insult to the Earth will be like for all of Florida, and beyond.

YouTube - Jimmy Buffett save the manatee

Having lived in Tampa, Orange Park and Jacksonville, I certainly feel your outrage at the carelessness that was in play before this disaster took place and the loss of these natural treasures. So what should we do with the Obama Administration since they accepted the campaign contributions of BP then granted them exemptions from safety standards that would have prevented this catastrophe?

washingtonpost.com

Certainly BP is guilty of buying off our president, but our president is also guilty of willingly being bought off. Personally, I think I'll continue to buy BP products and boycott the corrupt Obama Administration that gave BP an exemption to safety standards.

Exempting them from an ecological impact study isn't exactly giving them a free ride.... All it was was a n ecological impact study it says nothing about them being exempt from any regulations...

And the other link shows nothing other than they give money to both parties pretty much evenly... isn't that going against what we are told about big oil?

Again none of this shows they were able to avoid any regulations...

As someone who recently bought a place literally a stone's throw off the pristine beaches in South Walton Country, I am more than a little concerned about the oil slick hitting my piece of paradise. I am also against drilling off the Florida coast as an oil spill could have a devastating effect on our economy.

However, I am not supporting a boycott of BP. As much as I do not like this disaster, and as much as I will want BP and the other energy companies to clean up this mess, and as much as I do not want to see this again, I do not think BP is the primary culprit in all this. We as a society have chosen to drill in a very dangerous part of the world. Occasionally, disasters are going to happen. We should do everything we can to prevent such disasters, but they will happen. Boycotting BP doesn't do anything more to emphasize that they must take better care of their operations. They already are aware.

As someone who recently bought a place literally a stone's throw off the pristine beaches in South Walton Country, I am more than a little concerned about the oil slick hitting my piece of paradise. I am also against drilling off the Florida coast as an oil spill could have a devastating effect on our economy.

However, I am not supporting a boycott of BP. As much as I do not like this disaster, and as much as I will want BP and the other energy companies to clean up this mess, and as much as I do not want to see this again, I do not think BP is the primary culprit in all this. We as a society have chosen to drill in a very dangerous part of the world. Occasionally, disasters are going to happen. We should do everything we can to prevent such disasters, but they will happen. Boycotting BP doesn't do anything more to emphasize that they must take better care of their operations. They already are aware.

sucker

sucker

Moron.

My point is that he does bear some responsibility. No matter whether it turns out to be BP's or Transocean's fault or, as is more likely, a combination of both, the President did not regulate before he agreed the drilling.

I am fascinated that the rabid left refuse to recognize that. You can bet your last dime that, if there was a GOP POTUS, they'd be howling for his blood.

My point is that he does bear some responsibility. No matter whether it turns out to be BP's or Transocean's fault or, as is more likely, a combination of both, the President did not regulate before he agreed the drilling.

I am fascinated that the rabid left refuse to recognize that. You can bet your last dime that, if there was a GOP POTUS, they'd be howling for his blood.
So does the President bear responsibility for every single tort that happens under his watch?

So does the President bear responsibility for every single tort that happens under his watch?

Did he, or did he not, agree to the drilling. Him. Personally. Not that he left in place an agreement from the previous administration.... but he, as an actual individual. He agreed the drilling. He could have regulated and chose not to.

Fucking idiots who cherry pick for partisan politics are scum. That's you.

I must say this is the most inane thread ever.

Boycott as you deem fit, but calling for the death of the CEO is over the top.
Bullshit. Kill the whole fucking board of directors. The greedy motherfuckers need to swing.They've been in violation over and over again
You assholes need to grow a set and gitRdun.
Head to Monsanto's office next. I'll by the rope.
Don't forget the scumbags at Exxon.

sucker

Anyone not yet sure this idiot is a useless teenage punk, need only read this post from this POS...

This useless SOB spent days crying in multiple threads over the oil spill and how it is messing up his precious part of the country trying to wrangle sympathy in any way he can. And then when another person states a fear over his area regarding this, Mr. "give me your sympathy or I will cry" calls him a sucker....

Yeah, useless.... About like his bullshit PHD candidacy, and most likely everything else the little twerp has said......

Did he, or did he not, agree to the drilling. Him. Personally.
I don't know. Did he? evidence?

Interesting. You actually admit you don't know what Obama did or did not do and yet, despite admitting that you don't know all the facts, you have decided that BP are responsible. What a fucking moron.

Go find the evidence for yourself. I am not here to spoon feed morons.

Interesting. You actually admit you don't know what Obama did or did not do and yet, despite admitting that you don't know all the facts, you have decided that BP are responsible. What a fucking moron.

It doesn't really matter what Obama did or did not do, BP is legally responsible, it their fucking oil you dumb bitch. I'm sorry you don't know the law, not my fault. I sure hope legal aide isn't your career goal.

Hey, sorry I asked you to justify something you said, i forget that you were a superior being.

Did he, or did he not, agree to the drilling. Him. Personally. Not that he left in place an agreement from the previous administration.... but he, as an actual individual. He agreed the drilling. He could have regulated and chose not to.

Fucking idiots who cherry pick for partisan politics are scum. That's you.

Great... Then this question should be reasonable. Where is the timeline in all of this?

A rig just doesn't appear out of no where...or no when. When was the rig placed? When was the lease leased? So on and so on... Strangly a COMPLETE and coherant timeline seems difficult to google. Without one blame is impossible to lay.

It doesn't really matter what Obama did or did not do, BP is legally responsible, it their fucking oil you dumb bitch. I'm sorry you don't know the law, not my fault. I sure hope legal aide isn't your career goal.

Hey, sorry I asked you to justify something you said, i forget that you were a superior being.

Ignore the baggy **** SpidermanTuba. She just flaps her gums anytime I post to attempt to annoy. Iggy is on this page, under Quick Links.

The seepage is not a POV...for she has none. It's all about the vagina envy with California Girl.

i_heart_my_vagina_button-p145835220063052932tmn2_210.jpg

Forum List

Back