Both Sides Say Ireland Has Voted to Legalize Gay Marriage

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
What a great victory.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/05/23/world/europe/ap-eu-ireland-gay-marriage.html?_r=0

DUBLIN — Leaders on both sides of Ireland's gay marriage campaign say advocates of legalization have won a resounding victory with the ballot count still underway.

Senior figures from the "no" campaign, who sought to prevent Ireland's constitution from being amended to permit gay marriage, say the only question Saturday is how large the "yes" side's margin of victory will be from Friday's vote.

An Irish Cabinet minister, Leo Varadkar, who came out as gay at the start of the government's campaign, says Dublin looks to have voted about 70 percent in favor of gay marriage, while most districts outside the capital also were reporting strong "yes" leads. Official results come later Saturday.
<more>

Counting started at 9 and conceded by 10 - 10:15... It doesn't look like the No won a single county.
This baby was over weeks ago...
The No side resorted to some funny statements, but every major party and organisation bar the Catholic Church said vote Yes. The Catholic Church just abstained..

Now we'll see the resident USMB RWers who complain about 'unelected judges' imposing same sex marriage equality and who rant about the 'will of the people'

now suddenly go back to reminding us how referendum, aka direct democracy,

is 'mob rule'.

Now we'll see the resident USMB RWers who complain about 'unelected judges' imposing same sex marriage equality and who rant about the 'will of the people'

is 'mob rule'.
This isn't Ireland you dumb fuck. Yes, states have had judicial rulings against the will of the people, regardless of what happens overseas.

is 'mob rule'.
This isn't Ireland you dumb fuck. Yes, states have had judicial rulings against the will of the people, regardless of what happens overseas.

So principles can't cross borders. Weird. Your brain is bowl of ramen noodles.

is 'mob rule'.

So you would support gay marriage in this country decided by a referendum, if that were an option?

is 'mob rule'.

Judges hold their jobs by the will of the people.

is 'mob rule'.
Some are elected, most aren't. Especially higher up the food chain.

Surprising.

It will be interesting to see the numbers coming out on how this works out for them.

Canada has had gay marriage for more than 10 years. It's been a boon for the wedding business, but has otherwise had no impact on straight Canadians.

is 'mob rule'.
Some are elected, most aren't. Especially higher up the food chain.

They are chosen by elected representatives. Same difference.

Surprising.

It will be interesting to see the numbers coming out on how this works out for them.

What's not to work out?

Low rates of marriage, high rates of divorce, high rates of spouse abuse, bad outcomes for children, off the top of my head.

Yeah, but I'm not talking about straight marriage.

Are you implying some type of underlying trend?

What I'm saying is that you're an idiot. Everything you listed above, happens in straight marriage.

Surprising.

What's not to work out?

Low rates of marriage, high rates of divorce, high rates of spouse abuse, bad outcomes for children, off the top of my head.

What I'm saying is that you're an idiot. Everything you listed above, happens in straight marriage.

Mmm, no, no it doesn't.

Straight marriage, doesn't have high rates of spousal abuse.

Two parent families don't have high rates of bad outcomes for children.

BUT, single parent families that do, are the growing form of family.

An pattern that is occurring, as you pointed out, as homosexual marriage is gaining in acceptance.

You might be on to something here.

What do you think the underlying issue is?

What's not to work out?

Mmm, no, no it doesn't.

An pattern that is occurring, as you pointed out, as homosexual marriage is gaining in acceptance.

What planet do you live on? 22% of the women in this country have been physically assaulted by a current or former spouse, partner, or boyfriend.

Straight marriage doesn't have high divorce rates....OMG, you are a joke.

If normal marriage had not already been devalued we wouldn't be having a conversation about same sex marriage at all. First as much destruction to normal marriage as possible had to happen.

Mmm, no, no it doesn't.

What planet do you live on? 22% of the women in this country have been physically assaulted by a current or former spouse, partner, or boyfriend.

Straight marriage doesn't have high divorce rates....OMG, you are a joke.

Cute. YOu discuss spousal abuse and then include boyfriends. A clear sign you know you need to play games with the stats to save your argument.

AND you lied about what I said, re straight marriage and abuse/divorce. Another clear sign you know you are on weak ground.

BUT, you completely ignored my follow up question on your analysis on the underlying cause.

wHY?

Forum List

Back