Botched Oklahoma Execution

Anders

Rookie
Apr 17, 2014
An Oklahoma inmate died Tuesday evening of an apparent heart attack after authorities botched the delivery of drugs and stopped his execution.

Another execution scheduled for the same day was postponed.

Convicted murderer Clayton Lockett was sedated and then given the second and third drugs in the protocol, Oklahoma Department of Corrections Director Robert Patton told reporters.

"There was some concern at that time that the drugs were not having the effect, so the doctor observed the line and determined that the line had blown," he said.

When asked what he meant by "blown," Patton said that Lockett's vein had "exploded."
Botched execution in Oklahoma

"I notified the attorney general's office, the governor's office of my intent to stop the execution and requested a stay for 14 days for the second execution scheduled this afternoon," said Patton, referring to the execution of Charles Warner.

Lockett later suffered what appeared to be a heart attack and died, the director said.

Gov. Mary Fallin issued an executive order granting a stay for Warner and ordered an investigation.

Barbaric. I don't necessarily feel bad for the criminal although a recent study said on average 4 percent of death row inmates are innocent. I feel sorry for us as a society. The murder of a human being that has been removed as a threat from society is simply barbaric and unnecessary. I used to be pro death penalty when I was a teenager because I never really put much thought into it.

Last edited:
I support languishing in prison rather than putting them out of their misery, but I'd hardly refer to the way the US administers the death penalty as "barbaric".

Dead is dead.

I don't support the death penalty, but I have a hard time reconciling the fact that the same people who call this barbaric have no issue with the abuse that takes place in abortion clinics.

An Oklahoma inmate died Tuesday evening of an apparent heart attack after authorities botched the delivery of drugs and stopped his execution.

Another execution scheduled for the same day was postponed.

Convicted murderer Clayton Lockett was sedated and then given the second and third drugs in the protocol, Oklahoma Department of Corrections Director Robert Patton told reporters.

"There was some concern at that time that the drugs were not having the effect, so the doctor observed the line and determined that the line had blown," he said.

When asked what he meant by "blown," Patton said that Lockett's vein had "exploded."
Botched execution in Oklahoma

"I notified the attorney general's office, the governor's office of my intent to stop the execution and requested a stay for 14 days for the second execution scheduled this afternoon," said Patton, referring to the execution of Charles Warner.

Lockett later suffered what appeared to be a heart attack and died, the director said.

Gov. Mary Fallin issued an executive order granting a stay for Warner and ordered an investigation.

Barbaric. I don't necessarily feel bad for the criminal although a recent study said on average 4 percent of death row inmates are innocent. I feel sorry for us as a society. The murder of a human being that has been removed as a threat from society is simply barbaric and unnecessary. I used to be pro death penalty when I was a teenager because I never really put much thought into it.

What makes you think that a person imprisoned, is "removed as a threat from society" ?

What happened today was barbaric. The drugs are now difficult to come by and probably not tested properly. The guy writhed in pain and sat up, saying "something's wrong".

What happened today was barbaric. The drugs are now difficult to come by and probably not tested properly. The guy writhed in pain and sat up, saying "something's wrong".

Possibly a stress induced heart attack...wonder what crime he committed. Barbaric would be drawn and quartered.

I wonder how many complain about the cost of having a baby given up at birth as a drain on our financial system, also complain about the cost of keeping a murderer incarcerated for life, some 50 years or longer?

I wonder how many complain about the cost of having a baby given up at birth as a drain on our financial system, also complain about the cost of keeping a murderer incarcerated for life, some 50 years or longer?
It costs more to kill them, than to house them for life.

Problems with IV's occur every day in our nations hospitals, shit happens. Not a reason to make a big deal of it.

The death penalty is way to kind for some of these animals...
Some of them committed ghastly crimes, but we're supposed to be better than to inflict the same kinds of crimes on them.

Same kinds of crimes on them, really? They over dose these killers that cut up, shoot, bludgeon usually innocent people with sedatives. They just drift off to sleep, one guy in TX actually started snoring before he died. So don't tell me we inflict the same crimes on them, just shows your ignorance or your refusal to face facts.

If he has the death penalty, then the crime is murder.

The drugs are tested. I think the apparatus malfunctioned. It's going to happen, nothing is perfect. People aren't perfect, and equipment isn't perfect. This isn't heaven.

Same kinds of crimes on them, really? They over dose these killers that cut up, shoot, bludgeon usually innocent people with sedatives. They just drift off to sleep, one guy in TX actually started snoring before he died. So don't tell me we inflict the same crimes on them, just shows your ignorance or your refusal to face facts.
How about this fact?

Name one rich guy that was ever given the death penalty?

The death penalty is way to kind for some of these animals...
Some of them committed ghastly crimes, but we're supposed to be better than to inflict the same kinds of crimes on them.

You said, above, that "the death penalty is way to [sic] kind for some of these animals".

It costs more to kill them, than to house them for life.

I hear this all the time....HOW? Logically it's IMPOSSIBLE, especially if the scum is kept alive, fed, housed, clothed, guarded, etc. for 25-50 years!

I hear this all the time....HOW? Logically it's IMPOSSIBLE, especially if the scum is kept alive, fed, housed, clothed, guarded, etc. for 25-50 years!
This is what it costs in Kansas, but it should give you an idea of how the money spent in death (and non-death) penalty cases is:
Financial Facts About the Death Penalty

Defending a death penalty case costs about four times as much as defending a case where the death penalty is not sought, according to a new study by the Kansas Judicial Council.

Examining 34 potential death-penalty cases from 2004-2011, the study found that defense costs for death penalty trials averaged $395,762 per case, compared to $98,963 per case when the death penalty was not sought.

Costs incurred by the trial court showed a similar disparity: $72,530 for cases with the death penalty; $21,554 for those without.

Even in cases that ended in a guilty plea and did not go to trial, cases where the death penalty was sought incurred about twice the costs for both defense ($130,595 v. $64,711) and courts ($16,263 v. $7,384), compared to cases where death was not sought.

The time spent on death cases was also much higher.

Jury trials averaged 40.13 days in cases where the death penalty was being sought, but only 16.79 days when it was not an option.

Justices of the Kansas Supreme Court assigned to write opinions estimated they spent 20 times more hours on death penalty appeals than on non-death appeals.

The Department of Corrections said housing prisoners on death row cost more than twice as much per year ($49,380) as for prisoners in the general population ($24,690).
The appeals process is where it gets costly.

And I would bet with a lot less pain than he inflicted upon his victims.

Pssst...it's the attorney fees that make the death penalty so expensive.

Forum List

Back