Blue-Collar Workers Are Screwed

I'm no real fan of Walmart, but their marketing strategy is not to make the MOST PROFIT as let's say the oil companies....

Their strategy is to value price their merchandise, so to capture all of the market share available to capture...

Their profit marins are consistently around 3.6%....3.6% is a modest amount of profit to be making...so YES, they are getting their labor costs for dirt cheap by producing in China, BUT...they are passing the savings on to the customer....they are not pocketing all of their savings from overseas production and just paying their shareholders more.

Exxon/Mobile has a profit margin that is nearly 300% higher than Walmart's profit margin...

When I saw that they consistently ran at around a modest 3.6% profit margin, is when I stopped bashing walmart for their profits....
Exxon's profit margin is 6.77%.

Pfizer's profit margin is 17.27%.

Microsoft's profit margin is 27.70%.

Would you agree that Exxon's profit margin is modest, as well?

Corporations compete for market share , eliminate corporate taxes and they have more money to compete with . They may use that money to lower the price on their product or increase their products quality in an effort to gain a larger chunk of the market . If they do manage to increase their share of the market , it may increase production which could lead to hiring more workers . So , if you eliminate corporate taxes the consumer gets a higher quality product for less money , and employment increases giving more money to more people to buy more products .

Can a human produce an AI that is more intelligent, in every measure, than himself?

If he cannot, his job is secure.

If he can, we ought to be welcoming our robot overlords.

see my posts... it will only be high end/high education science and engineering jobs left.

bollocks.

they'd only be salespeople and hustlers. everyone else would probably by on welfare or in jail. this if the current trends play out.

what? you are completely wrong

I'm no real fan of Walmart, but their marketing strategy is not to make the MOST PROFIT as let's say the oil companies....

Their strategy is to value price their merchandise, so to capture all of the market share available to capture...

Their profit marins are consistently around 3.6%....3.6% is a modest amount of profit to be making...so YES, they are getting their labor costs for dirt cheap by producing in China, BUT...they are passing the savings on to the customer....they are not pocketing all of their savings from overseas production and just paying their shareholders more.

Exxon/Mobile has a profit margin that is nearly 300% higher than Walmart's profit margin...

When I saw that they consistently ran at around a modest 3.6% profit margin, is when I stopped bashing walmart for their profits....

Those pesky little facts keep biting them in the ass every time

they will be really screwed in the next 20-50 years as they are replaced by robots
About 80% of them have already.
For instance if we made cars without robots it would take 10X the manpower to produce what we now produce.
Actually, it's people who build the robots since not enough are being made tocreate an assembly line. It's people who make the precision parts the robots are made from. People who design the robots. People who are the technicians to maintain the robots. People who install and program the robots. People who design the parts the robots make.

All that takes "education". Something Republicans "mock". Odd that.

Training people to be engineers is different from making them watch an Inconvenient Lie in the name of education.

oh, well I was seeing figures of 11% profit margins running for exxon/mobile...at least I thought i had read several articles for several quarters of such earnings.

6.7% is a HEALTHY profit margin...it is almost 200% higher than Walmart's....

Microsoft is just plain gouging for those kinds of profit margins and they can do such because they somewhat have a monopoly or alot of proprietary product to sell, depending on how you want to look at it....

Microsoft is not a commodity, a necessary product for you to survive...that just needs pumping out of the ground...

They used their own creativeness and marketing strategy of not really selling to consumers directly, where we could resist their specific gouging...if it is even gouging...since they CREATED something out of thin air, that we all like....but they primarily sell their products to computer companies, where even if you buy an hp or a Toshiba etc...microsoft sold them their operating systems or rather programs, and they in turn sell us computers with MS technology or programs in them.... the cost of producing these products is near nil...we are paying for their intellectuality... I suppose.

Walmart, although not a commodity like heating oil or gasoline, it is not a company like Microsoft either...where they created something that we all like...they are a middle man of products made and created by others...no ingenuity or proprietary features that can call for a higher mark up or profit.

About 80% of them have already.
For instance if we made cars without robots it would take 10X the manpower to produce what we now produce.
Actually, it's people who build the robots since not enough are being made tocreate an assembly line. It's people who make the precision parts the robots are made from. People who design the robots. People who are the technicians to maintain the robots. People who install and program the robots. People who design the parts the robots make.

All that takes "education". Something Republicans "mock". Odd that.

Training people to be engineers is different from making them watch an Inconvenient Lie in the name of education.

thanks for the useless post

honestly it will be awesome when humans become more like robots (programmable). it is really assine that you have to spend 20+ years (1/3 to 1/4 of many people's lives) learning stuff that is already written and that millions of other people already know. what its figured out how our knowledge is stored in our body, and then they figure out how to write to/modify it, you could litteraly just scan books worth of knowledge into yourself or say copy all of wikipedia into your brain. Imagine if everyone starting at 5-10 years old was capable of PHD level research. what kind of breakthroughs would their be in math, science, and engineering?

Humans are already programmable.
Most are programmed quite well.

Wally World stocks more cheap stuff than just about anyone else. Most of the crap is made off shore in Asia, or some other place where they can realize the highest profits. But, I don't hear the masses bitching about the lack of jobs. Most Americans are just to dumb to realize that their way of life is going to be changing for the worse and we are barely seeing the results of their apathy. Until Americans can stem the flow of US greenbacks down, and slow the tide of cheap off shore junk coming in, having Hamburger Helper may start to seem like a celebration.

I suspect we are going to see the standard of living, for blue collar workers, to plummet even deeper. In the meantime, these BCWs will stop at Wally Workd for a new Chinese flat screen so that they can look at their REALITY shows, basketball tournaments, etc at 1080p.

Wonderful.

Oil is not all that attractive with respect to profits.

ProfitsOilVsOtherIndust3rdQ2005.gif

Oil Profit Margins vs. Other Industries The Everyday Economist

Is that for retail sales of finished product only or covering all aspects of the oil industry?

Wally World stocks more cheap stuff than just about anyone else. Most of the crap is made off .

do you know who benefits from profits? Shareholders. Do you know who shareholders are? People like you and me.

Buy some exxon stock and you will soon learn to love profitting.

oh, well I was seeing figures of 11% profit margins running for exxon/mobile...at least I thought i had read several articles for several quarters of such earnings.

6.7% is a HEALTHY profit margin...it is almost 200% higher than Walmart's....

Microsoft is just plain gouging for those kinds of profit margins and they can do such because they somewhat have a monopoly or alot of proprietary product to sell, depending on how you want to look at it....

Microsoft is not a commodity, a necessary product for you to survive...that just needs pumping out of the ground...

They used their own creativeness and marketing strategy of not really selling to consumers directly, where we could resist their specific gouging...if it is even gouging...since they CREATED something out of thin air, that we all like....but they primarily sell their products to computer companies, where even if you buy an hp or a Toshiba etc...microsoft sold them their operating systems or rather programs, and they in turn sell us computers with MS technology or programs in them.... the cost of producing these products is near nil...we are paying for their intellectuality... I suppose.

Walmart, although not a commodity like heating oil or gasoline, it is not a company like Microsoft either...where they created something that we all like...they are a middle man of products made and created by others...no ingenuity or proprietary features that can call for a higher mark up or profit.

too much information for people to handle. companies shouldnt have to justify their profitability to people; thats the benefit of private ownership, i guess.

for wal-mart, i would consider that thoroughly earned profit through old-man waltons innovation/vision and its legacy. the world's biggest retail clic didnt spring past sears and kmart just because. running a business in the green is hard enough, particularly large, public firms. walmart brings its goods to billions of people world wide and constitutes an economy in and of itself.

consider the tax on gas when you aim to criticize the pump price. astronomical.

Wally World stocks more cheap stuff than just about anyone else. Most of the crap is made off .

do you know who benefits from profits? Shareholders. Do you know who shareholders are? People like you and me.

Buy some exxon stock and you will soon learn to love profitting.

True, why should any of us actually produce anything?

honestly it will be awesome when humans become more like robots (programmable). it is really assine that you have to spend 20+ years (1/3 to 1/4 of many people's lives) learning stuff that is already written and that millions of other people already know. what its figured out how our knowledge is stored in our body, and then they figure out how to write to/modify it, you could litteraly just scan books worth of knowledge into yourself or say copy all of wikipedia into your brain. Imagine if everyone starting at 5-10 years old was capable of PHD level research. what kind of breakthroughs would their be in math, science, and engineering?

a totally different meaning of programming

a totally different meaning of programming

but the end result is pretty much the same.

Forum List

Back