Blue-Collar Workers Are Screwed

About 80% of them have already.
For instance if we made cars without robots it would take 10X the manpower to produce what we now produce.

Actually, it's people who build the robots since not enough are being made to create an assembly line. It's people who make the precision parts the robots are made from. People who design the robots. People who are the technicians to maintain the robots. People who install and program the robots. People who design the parts the robots make.

All that takes "education". Something Republicans "mock". Odd that.

And of all that only the maintenance and perhaps the engineering is generally US provided.

As far as the workers maintaining and manufacturing the robots. A tech education is a must, but almost equally as important is experience. I did that type of work for a few years.

It's the manufacturing too. I have a friend who runs a machine shop. Their biggest money maker, railroad ties, was moved to Mexico. So they revamped their business to make high quality machined parts.

These are parts used in everything from the "medical industry" to "specialized tiny mechanisms". Stuff that are made in the hundreds or few thousand at the most. They even make stuff for the military or NASA.

For instance if we made cars without robots it would take 10X the manpower to produce what we now produce.

Actually, it's people who build the robots since not enough are being made to create an assembly line. It's people who make the precision parts the robots are made from. People who design the robots. People who are the technicians to maintain the robots. People who install and program the robots. People who design the parts the robots make.

yes. anything that can be done without critical thinking can be programmed into a robot to do. since building a robot from peices doesn't require critical thinking, one day robots will build robots and then humans will only be needed for trouble shooting, designing, and programming them. I think those who have rejected science will finally realize their fautls at this point since there will be little jobs available for them. even more advanced jobs could be taken over by robots if AI continues to improve, and of course if robots become capable of learning on their own then humans are no longerneeded at all.

computers can only be as smart as whomever is programming them.
But they are extremely accurate and consistant. Much better than humans for many jobs actually.

And of all that only the maintenance and perhaps the engineering is generally US provided.

As far as the workers maintaining and manufacturing the robots. A tech education is a must, but almost equally as important is experience. I did that type of work for a few years.

It's the manufacturing too. I have a friend who runs a machine shop. Their biggest money maker, railroad ties, was moved to Mexico. So they revamped their business to make high quality machined parts.

These are parts used in everything from the "medical industry" to "specialized tiny mechanisms". Stuff that are made in the hundreds or few thousand at the most. They even make stuff for the military or NASA.

COOL! Sounds like they got a pretty good thing going with a blend of customers.

Still trying to believe that the world is a zero sum game? It doesn't work this way.
In the long-term we'll all be better off for this massive market correction, but you'll never live to see the benefits.

The pie is getting larger, but your piece of it is shrinking too fast.

yes. anything that can be done without critical thinking can be programmed into a robot to do. since building a robot from peices doesn't require critical thinking, one day robots will build robots and then humans will only be needed for trouble shooting, designing, and programming them. I think those who have rejected science will finally realize their fautls at this point since there will be little jobs available for them. even more advanced jobs could be taken over by robots if AI continues to improve, and of course if robots become capable of learning on their own then humans are no longerneeded at all.

computers can only be as smart as whomever is programming them.
But they are extremely accurate and consistant. Much better than humans for many jobs actually.

for now... the singularity is coming

they will be really screwed in the next 20-50 years as they are replaced by robots

yes everything is being pushed to robots. as usual the usa military is leading the technological push, currently to militarize the entire armed forces, but with everything else all this R&D trickles down to the private sector. if people think drones and killer military bees are bad wait until the entire army is robotic which will happen in most's peoples lifetime who are reading this.

I'm sorry, I can't tell if you're joking or not.

Robots only become feasible if they are doing something that makes many thousands or millions. Like cars.

If it's only a few hundred, then the time it takes to program the robot and verify it's doing the task correctly, you could have the job already finished. So robots are limited.

Still trying to believe that the world is a zero sum game? It doesn't work this way.
In the long-term we'll all be better off for this massive market correction, but you'll never live to see the benefits.

The pie is getting larger, but your piece of it is shrinking too fast.

And all to few understand, therefore nothing will be done to avoid the slide.
If it is not already too late to avoid most all of it regardless of what we do?

Are we as a nation blinded by our arrogance?

yes everything is being pushed to robots. as usual the usa military is leading the technological push, currently to militarize the entire armed forces, but with everything else all this R&D trickles down to the private sector. if people think drones and killer military bees are bad wait until the entire army is robotic which will happen in most's peoples lifetime who are reading this.

I'm sorry, I can't tell if you're joking or not.

Robots only become feasible if they are doing something that makes many thousands or millions. Like cars.

If it's only a few hundred, then the time it takes to program the robot and verify it's doing the task correctly, you could have the job already finished. So robots are limited.

Robots are becoming very adaptive. The same units can paint, weld assemble, etc with different tool heads.
And the software is becoming much smarter as well. Such as in image recognition.

Robots already make many of the components used in robot construction.

Chips fer instance.

Eagle, What do you think will happen when the majority of Americans really understand where we are and where we are going?

I clicked on everything and couldn't find a link. Which sentence is the link?
This thread has nothing to do with Republicans, sorry rdean.

In your original post, you set up a bunch of bizarre scenarios. I was making fun of you for pulling all those silly conclusions out of your butt.

Many American corporations believed they could move unskilled labor overseas and then bring those products back here and sell them to the very people they fired. Only now they are finding out that people without jobs don't buy and the people they are taking advantage of overseas can't afford the stuff they're making.

You can't just "take advantage" of a market, you have to nourish it.

In your original post, you set up a bunch of bizarre scenarios. I was making fun of you for pulling all those silly conclusions out of your butt.

Many American corporations believed they could move unskilled labor overseas and then bring those products back here and sell them to the very people they fired. Only now they are finding out that people without jobs don't buy and the people they are taking advantage of overseas can't afford the stuff they're making.

Naah that is just useless overhead. They moved offshore, and we are still buying.
We are a massive economy and it takes a while to spin down. Plus it has to be gradual or the whole global thing falls apart.

Your not very well versed in market economies are you.

Eagle, What do you think will happen when the majority of Americans really understand where we are and where we are going?
I honestly don't see the majority of Americans understanding this even as it is happening around us.

Neither Republicans nor Democrats have been able to resist the forces of global economic change, yet we still have millions of people blaming individual policies, or Wallstreet, or big corporations, or immigrants, or taxes, or greed. Americans still largely cling to the hope that simply changing US laws will reverse the situation and bring back the 1950s.

Americans who have skills that are competitive in the global marketplace will maintain their comfortable position as part of the world's upper-class (and America's middle-class), while those with easily replaceable skills will be forced to settle for being part of the world's middle-class (and America's lowest-class).

This is already happening...

Tent-Cities-460b_981655c.jpg

American working-class.

slumsindiaeo7.jpg

Indian working-class.

So you don't think the majority will catch on?

And yes it is now inevitable. But had we taken some different steps in the past we would have weathered it better I think.

So you don't think the majority will catch on?
They'll be angry, but too few of them will understand why these things are happening to change their collective fate. The ones who do understand are taking steps now to preserve their personal standard of living.

And yes it is now inevitable. But had we taken some different steps in the past we would have weathered it better I think.
It is very difficult to mitigate the damage when your government is near-bankrupt. We've already "blow our wad," so to speak.

I guess not.

Hey, take a look at post #34. What I said in pictures.

I guess not.

:eusa_eh: E7 did post number 34. Besides you missed the point completely, as usual.

I honestly don't see the majority of Americans understanding this even as it is happening around us.

Neither Republicans nor Democrats have been able to resist the forces of global economic change, yet we still have millions of people blaming individual policies, or Wallstreet, or big corporations, or immigrants, or taxes, or greed. Americans still largely cling to the hope that simply changing US laws will reverse the situation and bring back the 1950s.

Americans who have skills that are competitive in the global marketplace will maintain their comfortable position as part of the world's upper-class (and America's middle-class), while those with easily replaceable skills will be forced to settle for being part of the world's middle-class (and America's lowest-class).

This is already happening...

Tent-Cities-460b_981655c.jpg

American working-class.

slumsindiaeo7.jpg

Indian working-class.

Unfortunately for Republcians, this will affect them the most. To compete, you have to have a competitive education. We all know you don't get that from Bible college with a BS in Bible memorization.

You have to study from the very people they mock. Those darn arrogant, educated liberals. Republicans are going to have to become "those darn arrogant, educated conservatives." And that will mean hard work and putting aside all the occult nonsense they keep trying to add to science.

You can go into business, become an accountant, and push money around, but if there is no business, then eventually, there is no money.

I guess not.

:eusa_eh: E7 did post number 34. Besides you missed the point completely, as usual.

As usual, you don't add anything at all. Just tired little smug meaningless comments with you sitting in the dark amazed at your own cleverness. The only one amazed. I applaud you with the sound of one hand clapping.

Forum List

Back