States may ban credit checks on job applicants

As a person who once ran a business, I don't think I would like to hire a person for a position of trust that had a history of not paying their bills. Credit check, background check, drug screen and a check of personal references - they are all important and most people who are on the up and up don't mind these things. It's recognized as a normal part of a job interview and the hiring practice for a position of responsibility. If you have nothing to hide it's no big deal.

If I as an employer want to check credit history so as to be better informed as to the character of an applicant, i should have every right to do so.

If I as an employer want to check credit history so as to be better informed as to the character of an applicant, i should have every right to do so.
Do you think someone's character can be summed up by a credit check? If a person has had a tough time making ends meet, should that prevent them from succeeding, if given an honest chance?

The article said it well: It's tough enough finding a job these days...

Just another erosion of an individual's right to privacy! But some Conservatives have no problem eroding personal rights, or so it seems.

I've used credit checks as part of a full background check for a variety of new hires.

Somebody who is deeply in debt, especially with liens and judgments against him, is risky. Fraud can be conducted by more than finance people (sales, operations) and engineers can steal IP.

Yes, there may be perfectly understandable circumstances, which the candidate should be able to address if that's the case.

Do you think someone's character can be summed up by a credit check? If a person has had a tough time making ends meet, should that prevent them from succeeding, if given an honest chance?

The article said it well: It's tough enough finding a job these days...

Just another erosion of an individual's right to privacy! But some Conservatives have no problem eroding personal rights, or so it seems.

Let's say you came to me for a job. You owe everybody in town and you are frequently late with your bill payments. You are just steps away from bankruptcy. That tells me a lot about you as an employee. It tells me you don't know how to handle your resources, establish priorities, and you have trouble keeping your commitments. It also shows that you don't meet deadlines well. Having poor credit, in some cases, can be proof that you are not a person of your word. I doubt very seriously that I would give you a job. Being a conservative has nothing to do with it and I'm not sure how you can throw this into the debate.

HOw does having bad credit reflect on how you can do in a job? Should be irrelevant. and how is someone supposed to get good credit and pay off debt if they can't get a job because of it?

companies really love to put everybody into this little box of what the best employee should be like, which to me rewards fakes and phonies. Not everybody fits a certain mold. No wonder why there is so much incompetence in the world

Good. Unless you handle large amounts of money, it is unnecessary. If you handle money (large quantities, that is - not a cash register), you should have your credit checked.

And what if they fell into financial hardships and couldn't afford their bills? that means they have bad character? Sounds like bs to me

Interesting that the cons - who are all about freedom - always support this kind of shit...

Hello?

Hiring someone is a voluntary relationship, and an employer has a right to perform due diligence. A job candidate has a right to refuse to provide information for a background check if they don't want to go through it.

Via such a check, I discovered that a job candidate was convicted of embezzlement. Why shouldn't I use such publicly available information to make a better decision?

Unless you apply for a job that involves banking - your credit rating has nothing to do with your job skills.

Interesting that the cons - who are all about freedom - always support this kind of shit...

Hello?

Hiring someone is a voluntary relationship, and an employer has a right to perform due diligence. A job candidate has a right to refuse to provide information for a background check if they don't want to go through it.

Via such a check, I discovered that a job candidate was convicted of embezzlement. Why shouldn't I use such publicly available information to make a better decision?

You wouldn't need a credit check for that though - just a criminal background check.

HOw does having bad credit reflect on how you can do in a job? Should be irrelevant. and how is someone supposed to get good credit and pay off debt if they can't get a job because of it?

companies really love to put everybody into this little box of what the best employee should be like, which to me rewards fakes and phonies. Not everybody fits a certain mold. No wonder why there is so much incompetence in the world

It's an indicator of character and discipline. I'm not talking about the unfortunate situation caused by a health emergency - but the ones where somebody has a bunch of consumer debt and a McMansion he can't afford because he has an instant gratification problem.

It's an indicator of character and discipline.

No it isn't. A person who is cash only and doesn't use credit other than a bank card shows as "bad" credit because they show NO credit. They could be saving 30% of their income, but it still looks like they're a risk.

It's an indicator of character and discipline.

No it isn't. A person who is cash only and doesn't use credit other than a bank card shows as "bad" credit because they show NO credit. They could be saving 30% of their income, but it still looks like they're a risk.

That isn't how I would use a credit check. I'd look high for debt levels beyond the person's ability to pay given the compensation for the job.

Somebody who is debt free would not look like a risk to me.

It's an indicator of character and discipline. I'm not talking about the unfortunate situation caused by a health emergency - but the ones where somebody has a bunch of consumer debt and a McMansion he can't afford because he has an instant gratification problem.

You can't know that by a simple credit check - you have no idea what the circumstances were that lead up to bad points - poor judgement, medical issues, job losses etc. Even then - poor economic performance doesn't translate into poor job performance.

Forum List

Back