Blaming Politicians For the Price of Gas?

It is extremely idiotic.

A good rule of thumb is that if politicians are talking about the price of gas, they’re talking nonsense.

t’s simply not true that Obama’s policies are curtailing oil production. On the contrary, U.S. oil production tumbled during the Bush administration and has skyrocketed under Obama.

Higher gas prices: The Republican plan to blame high gas prices on President Obama. - Slate Magazine

It is extremely idiotic.

A good rule of thumb is that if politicians are talking about the price of gas, they’re talking nonsense.

t’s simply not true that Obama’s policies are curtailing oil production. On the contrary, U.S. oil production tumbled during the Bush administration and has skyrocketed under Obama.

Higher gas prices: The Republican plan to blame high gas prices on President Obama. - Slate Magazine

It is extremely idiotic.

I suppose you said nothing about Bush?

Oh I agree. Obama is doing a terrible job when it comes to oil. But let's look at common sense.
Would Big Oil use any excuse to maximize it's profits? Duh.
Did they do exactly that in '08? Yup.
Have they done this repeatedly to desensitize their consumer base to higher proces, thus increasing profits? Of course.

But it's all Obama's fault! Or Bush's!

Partisan conditioning...

Obama I'm sure is hoping gas prices increases as he is looking for a reason to push more alternative forms of green energy. So have an oil moritorium in the gulf, axe the Keystone Pipeline, throw in a confrontation in Iran, and the conditions become perfect to boost government incentives with the Chevy Volt.

Unfortunately, Obama's tunnel vision desire for green energy will also hurt the economy, as the cost of food, goods and services, commercial travel, anything attched to fuel wil go up. People will conserve to meet with the rising costs, cancel vacations, stay close to home, with everything attached to those changes in behavior witnessing a slowdown of business sales. This "game of politics" of Obama hopefully will backfire, as he is obviously very incapable of seeing the consequences behind his radical policies, and the effects they will do to the lives of the American people that must suffer from its results.
do some quick research on the oil moratrium (which only applies to eastern gulf) as well as on the keystone pipeline (today's cnn article is good) and you will see that you are in fact wrong in your assessment of the situation.

why exactly are you against green technology? think of it this way, if you had solar panels on your roof due to a government mandate that all new homes built required solar panels, your electricity would be reduced to around $10-$55 per month based on the average consumption of american household. i have several friends and family who actually have panels and they produce more electricity than they consume during the day, thus they actually get credit from the utility and when they are on the grid at night, these costs are offset and they effective pay 0 for electricity. how much money would you save at that point? $100 per month? $200 per month? $400 per month?

These are the bills passed in the house dealing with the Gulf Moritorium, still awating the Senate to take action.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

H.R. 1231
Reversing President Obama's Offshore Moratorium Act

H.R. 1229
Putting the Gulf of Mexico Back to Work Act

H.R. 1230
Restarting American Offshore Leasing Now Act

Pecozbill: Our old friend "Dingy Harry spent Sunday morning on Meet the Depressed to complain about obstructionist Republicans in Congress...

[House Calendar for February 24, 2012 - 112th Congress, 2nd Session]
[From the U.S. Government Printing Office]

H. Res. 245 (H.R. 1229) (H.R. 1230).--Providing for consideration
of the bill (H.R. 1229) to amend the Outer Continental Shelf
Lands Act to facilitate the safe and timely production of
American energy resources from the Gulf of Mexico, and
providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 1230) to require
the Secretary of the Interior to conduct certain offshore oil
and gas lease sales, and for other purposes. Reported from
Rules May 4, 2011; Rept. 112-73. House Calendar. Passed House
May 5, 2011; Roll No. 294: 245-167.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CCAL-112hcal/tml/CCAL-112hcal-pt11.htm

As far as solar panels (to which I have taken installation classes, as it pertains to my field), they can reduce consumption. However as sources of providing power, alternative energy sources (solar, wind, etc) are found to be unable to handle the peak power consumptions of consumer demands. This is what I have found when looking at "reliability" of alternate GREEN energy as a power source:

Denmark (population 5.3 million) has over 6,000 turbines that produced electricity equal to 19% of what the country used in 2002. Yet no conventional power plant has been shut down. Because of the intermittency and variability of the wind, conventional power plants must be kept running at full capacity to meet the actual demand for electricity. Most cannot simply be turned on and off as the wind dies and rises, and the quick ramping up and down of those that can be would actually increase their output of pollution and carbon dioxide (the primary "greenhouse" gas). So when the wind is blowing just right for the turbines, the power they generate is usually a surplus and sold to other countries at an extremely discounted price, or the turbines are simply shut off.

Denmark is just dependent enough on wind power that when the wind is not blowing right they must import electricity. In 2000 they imported more electricity than they exported. And added to the Danish electric bill are the subsidies that support the private companies building the wind towers. Danish electricity costs for the consumer are the highest in Europe.

A Problem With Wind Power [AWEo_Org]

Last edited:
not surprised some house bills havent been taken up in the senate. the senate is democrat controlled and the house is republican controlled. its all gamesmanship at this point. these bills will never come to debate. it would be the same way if the GOP controlled the senate and the dems controlled the house. any dem bill proposed would have little change of reaching the senate floor.

depending on a individuals person energy use, solar panels may or may not provide 100% of the power they need. i never claimed that solar was a replacement technology for other existing technologies. but it many cases it supplements personal energy usage, lowering overall utility costs. do you really think this is a bad thing?

:lol: Get on the Obama green energy bus & stop worrying about gas prices. :lol:

091126_delhi_india_cycle_rickshaw_box_school_bus_transportation_MG_7706.jpg

Why is gasoline $2.84 at the pump in Wyoming & $5.99 in Florida?

Could it be a much needed Canadian oil pipeline that Obama is stopping?

Could it be higher taxes?

Either way it is a problem caused by our government.

What is your point? That you didn't blame Bush nor do you blame obama? Is that your point?
Well small fry you aren't all liberals Bush never got a pass but obama has.

You seem determined to keep reinforcing my point - which is nice of you and all.

So why is it Obama's fault but it wasn't Bush's???

Thus far, your only reasoning as to why it is now Obama's fault is exactly the whackjobbery I pointed out: Well THEY blamed our guy! Waaah!

Party-Hysterics aside, I have yet to see a logical, reasonable argument that supports the Conservative position on this.

Who said it wasn't Bush's fault?

Personally, I am inclined to blame Obama because he stated that he wanted higher gas prices before he was elected, hired an energy secretary who outlined a policy that included higher gas prices, and has actually implemented many changes that he said would help increase the price of gas to European levels. I don't know if any of that is enough for a dependent illogical to actually blame Obama for gas prices going up, but I think it would work for most independents.

Okay you usual petty insults aside, can you cite that Obama stated he wanted to increase gas prices? I was unaware of that.
There is a policy that specifies raising gas prices???
Please provide links!

So here is what seems to be the Conservative Argument on this:

We didn't blame Bush for high gas prices but we do blame Obama for them.
Why?
Because Libs blamed Bush. So nyah!

I didn't blame Bush. I don't blame Obama. That kinda screws their argument into the ground.

Big Oil companies speculate as to the highest price the market will tolerate. Duh. This isn't about policy, supply, demand or anything else. The rather obvious elephant in the room is ........ wait for it........ record profits.

Again. Duh. Really, no one can figure that out? Really? Amazing how politics will blind people to the obvious.

You are full of shit and a thread has been posted that proves you incorrect.

NEXT!!

You seem determined to keep reinforcing my point - which is nice of you and all.

So why is it Obama's fault but it wasn't Bush's???

Thus far, your only reasoning as to why it is now Obama's fault is exactly the whackjobbery I pointed out: Well THEY blamed our guy! Waaah!

Party-Hysterics aside, I have yet to see a logical, reasonable argument that supports the Conservative position on this.

Who said it wasn't Bush's fault?

Personally, I am inclined to blame Obama because he stated that he wanted higher gas prices before he was elected, hired an energy secretary who outlined a policy that included higher gas prices, and has actually implemented many changes that he said would help increase the price of gas to European levels. I don't know if any of that is enough for a dependent illogical to actually blame Obama for gas prices going up, but I think it would work for most independents.

Okay you usual petty insults aside, can you cite that Obama stated he wanted to increase gas prices? I was unaware of that.
There is a policy that specifies raising gas prices???
Please provide links!

What petty insults did I make in that post?

Here is Obama outlining how a gradual increase in gas prices would drive the US toward a green economy and end the dependence on foreign oil.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M1WlV7vafk]Obama Wanted High Gas Prices...Gradually (2008 Election Campaign) - YouTube[/ame]

As for Steven Chu he clearly wants to see gas prices that are on a level with those in Europe.

"Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe," Mr. Chu, who directs the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in California, said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal in September.

Times Tough for Energy Overhaul - WSJ.com

Judge for yourself, I was simply pointing out why I am willing to give Obama a major share of the blame for gas prices. It really wouldn't be that hard for a post American president to have an international policy that did not push Iran toward threatening to close the Strait of Hormuz and demand that US warships stay out of it if that was his first goal.

By the way, Obama actually threw down the gauntlet for making gas prices into a political football, I don't have any sympathy for him.

Forum List

Back