Black Women: 50% of City's Female Arrests, Only 6% of the Female Population

If you are told from birth that your country hates you and treats you unjustly...that the Man is out to get you and racism toward you is self evident. If you experience crime, drugs, gangs, poverty, immorality, illiteracy, and aggression every day...well it is likely you will have difficulty staying on the right side of the law.

This guy totally ignored the "did not commit more crimes" part and went with a white version of what growing up black is like.

He'd be better off telling you the attitudes of todays generation of chipmunks than this camp fire story
Forget all that...

Is what he said true?

Do Blacks stereotypically (on the average, or in the main) grow up that way, being told (or telling each other) such things?

No its not, I kinda thought that was clear when I called it a white camp fire story. Please dont go into the history of camp fire stories and how some may be true.

I'm a black guy, so I kinda have an idea of what my upbringing was like more than some white guy who tells you something you already agree with.

you need to know that the arrests are FOR. If they are for prostitution, "loitering", pandering, gambling etc, that's one thing. If they are for bad checks, shoplifting, child abuse/neglect, etc, that's a different thing

Our initial conversation centered on Black females and no other group.

In other words, when you make statements, you expect people to cherry-pick from them the information most favorable to your position, and to formulate all responses accordingly. :lol: Or maybe you just need to learn a better command of the English language, not to mention basic logical skills.

In other words, when you make statements, you expect people to cherry-pick from them the information most favorable to your position, and to formulate all responses accordingly. :lol: Or maybe you just need to learn a better command of the English language, not to mention basic logical skills.
So you want to insist that I've mistaken your bigoted spontaneous remark for something more nefarious than intended. Too late. The damage is done and there is no turning back from your dark revelation.

You responded to my inquiry concerning the disparity between the San Francisco arrest rate of Black women and the arrest rate of black women in the entire state of California. I even posted a table to illustrate that disparity. YOUR RESPONSE:
SwimExpert said:
Perhaps because San Francisco's female chief of police is better at her job than her counterparts in the rest of the state.

Considering the above evidence, your train of thought is clear. In a conversation entailing no other group but Black females and their arrest rates, you went for the jugular and missed. Now you are on your back, flailing your weak legs in the air like a dying cockroach. Your capitulation is accepted. Now begone; you vile creature!

So you want to insist that I've mistaken your bigoted spontaneous remark for something more nefarious than intended. Too late. The damage is done and there is no turning back from your dark revelation.

You responded to my inquiry concerning the disparity between the San Francisco arrest rate of Black women and the arrest rate of black women in the entire state of California. I even posted a table to illustrate that disparity. YOUR RESPONSE:
SwimExpert said:
Perhaps because San Francisco's female chief of police is better at her job than her counterparts in the rest of the state.

Considering the above evidence, your train of thought is clear. In a conversation entailing no other group but Black females and their arrest rates, you went for the jugular and missed. Now you are on your back, flailing your weak legs in the air like a dying cockroach. Your capitulation is accepted. Now begone; you vile creature!

You just can't comprehend that arresting more people does not mean the police are being racists, can you? Maybe they arrest more people, period. You never thought to consider that. Or maybe you just don't want to. You'd rather be a racist yourself.

You just can't(COUGH) comprehend that arresting more(GAG) people does not(AGGGGGHHH) mean the police are being racists, can you? Maybe(GASP) they arrest more people, period. You never thought to(OHHH) consider that. Or maybe you just don't want to. You'd rather be(WHIMPER) a racist yourself.

The pesticide I sprayed on you seems to be working. The death rattle of your logic punctuates your narrative with increasing regularity. It will all be over soon!

According to a new report from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice African-American women in San Francisco account for 50% of the female arrests, but only make up 6% of the female population. The study points out that arrest disparities are not the result of African-Americans committing more crimes. In fact, 2012 San Francisco arrest rates for black women were lower than any time over the last 30 years. You can read the full report here.

Black Women in San Francisco Are Nearly 50 of City s Female Arrests and Only 6 of the Female Population Alternet

This thread is dedicated to arrest disproportions among black and non-black female residents of San Francisco. Everybody knows it is dangerous to be a black man when it comes to police-suspect negotiations. Turns out, black women can be a target of police's prejudice, as well.
Some of you will say Afro-Americans are more inclined to crime and therefore get what they deserve from police officers all around the country. I believe it was the case in Baltimore and Ferguson. However, it is clearly stated in the article that "arrest disparities are not the result of African-Americans committing more crimes". What is the reason for that if not stereotypical depiction of African-Americans?
Do we know the percentage of Black arrests that result in a conviction?

Do we know the percentage of non-Black arrests that result in a conviction?

Those numbers should tell us something.

Also...

I'm not sure that I trust an AlterNet article published by a SanFran NPO whose mission is to reduce the reliance upon incarceration as a remedy for social problems - not that that isn't an admirable goal - but they have far too big a dog in that fight, to be taken seriously, as an objective observer and analyst.
FBI Uniform Crime Reports contain race, arrests, prosecutions, and conviction. What is never reported is the actual number of crimes because we have no way of knowing. If we see 10 times as many arrest of blacks as whites in the reports we may assume blacks are committing 10 times the number crimes. That's an assumption and probably not a good one.

Police will always monitor more closely groups that are known to commit more crime. That's good police work but it skews the data. In other words we tend to find what we look for. So if we look harder at blacks because we know they commit more crime that whites, we will make more black arrests than looking equally at blacks and whites.. And the more arrests we make, the more we focus on blacks. Thus you may have 60% of the actual crimes being committed by blacks but because police are focusing on blacks, we may have 85% black arrests, good police work but skewed statistics.

Do black women in San Francisco speak a dialect rooted in the south? If so, then this is a cultural issue and the disparity stands to reason. A crime-prone culture. Unstructured family upbringing.
If store personnel and police discover a lot of the shoplifting is by black females, they will monitor black females more carefully and more will arrested. The more that are arrested the closer they watch black females and the more arrests they make. The media reports we have an epidemic of black females shoplifters. More police are assign and more precautions taken and shoplifting decreases. Then blacks complain that the police are biased and targeting blacks which of course they are.

Do black women in San Francisco speak a dialect rooted in the south? If so, then this is a cultural issue and the disparity stands to reason. A crime-prone culture. Unstructured family upbringing.
If store personnel and police discover a lot of the shoplifting is by black females, they will monitor black females more carefully and more will arrested. The more that are arrested the closer they watch black females and the more arrests they make. The media reports we have an epidemic of black females shoplifters. More police are assign and more precautions taken and shoplifting decreases. Then blacks complain that the police are biased and targeting blacks which of course they are.
Pragmatism is not bias.

Do black females speak with a southern dialect in SF?

FBI Uniform Crime Reports contain race, arrests, prosecutions, and conviction.

I have never seen prosecutions or convictions in the UCR; only arrests, race and gender. But that makes the statistical impact even worse when it comes to proportional racial comparisons. People assume ARRESTS equate to CONVICTIONS but they don't.Many arrests are unfounded and the subjects are released. Other arrestees are exonerated in a court of law. either case the statistic of their respective arrests still stand and cannot be erased.

Police have an extraordinary incentive to arrest as many Blacks as they can because:

1. it helps to feed the illusion that all Blacks are criminals. That seems to be a desirable ethos integral to the political strategies of both the GOP and the Democrats. Keeping those race based statistics fed is a top priority.

2. Many law enforcement budgets are influenced by local or area crime rates. The more arrests, the more fodder for police coffers when budget negotiations are being considered. So, when there is little crime to be found...target the blacks or Mexicans more and make that budget justification plausible on THEIR backs, not White ones.

According to a new report from the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice African-American women in San Francisco account for 50% of the female arrests, but only make up 6% of the female population. The study points out that arrest disparities are not the result of African-Americans committing more crimes. In fact, 2012 San Francisco arrest rates for black women were lower than any time over the last 30 years. You can read the full report here.

Black Women in San Francisco Are Nearly 50 of City s Female Arrests and Only 6 of the Female Population Alternet

This thread is dedicated to arrest disproportions among black and non-black female residents of San Francisco. Everybody knows it is dangerous to be a black man when it comes to police-suspect negotiations. Turns out, black women can be a target of police's prejudice, as well.
Some of you will say Afro-Americans are more inclined to crime and therefore get what they deserve from police officers all around the country. I believe it was the case in Baltimore and Ferguson. However, it is clearly stated in the article that "arrest disparities are not the result of African-Americans committing more crimes". What is the reason for that if not stereotypical depiction of African-Americans?
Maybe the whites are better shoplifters. I use to work a clothing store years ago. My boss always said to watch the blacks. We did and guess what. We caught more black shoplifters.

Yeah......because he liked giving crap away to white customers. Perhaps he had enough experience to tell you who to watch.

...No its not, I kinda thought that was clear when I called it a white camp fire story. Please dont go into the history of camp fire stories and how some may be true. I'm a black guy, so I kinda have an idea of what my upbringing was like more than some white guy who tells you something you already agree with.
Good. I'll take your word for it. I don't like your politics any more than you like mine, but I perceive you as an honest soul, in the main. Thanks.

Do we know the percentage of Black arrests that result in a conviction?

Do we know the percentage of non-Black arrests that result in a conviction?

Those numbers should tell us something.

Also...

I'm not sure that I trust an AlterNet article published by a SanFran NPO whose mission is to reduce the reliance upon incarceration as a remedy for social problems - not that that isn't an admirable goal - but they have far too big a dog in that fight, to be taken seriously, as an objective observer and analyst.
FBI Uniform Crime Reports contain race, arrests, prosecutions, and conviction. What is never reported is the actual number of crimes because we have no way of knowing. If we see 10 times as many arrest of blacks as whites in the reports we may assume blacks are committing 10 times the number crimes. That's an assumption and probably not a good one.

Police will always monitor more closely groups that are known to commit more crime. That's good police work but it skews the data. In other words we tend to find what we look for. So if we look harder at blacks because we know they commit more crime that whites, we will make more black arrests than looking equally at blacks and whites.. And the more arrests we make, the more we focus on blacks. Thus you may have 60% of the actual crimes being committed by blacks but because police are focusing on blacks, we may have 85% black arrests, good police work but skewed statistics.
I think your 60% mark is overly generous and am guessing that we could probably and defensibly add 10 to 20 points to that, but your point is reasonable and well-taken.

I have never seen prosecutions or convictions in the UCR; only arrests, race and gender. But that makes the statistical impact even worse when it comes to proportional racial comparisons. People assume ARRESTS equate to CONVICTIONS but they don't.Many arrests are unfounded and the subjects are released. Other arrestees are exonerated in a court of law. either case the statistic of their respective arrests still stand and cannot be erased.

Police have an extraordinary incentive to arrest as many Blacks as they can because:

1. it helps to feed the illusion that all Blacks are criminals. That seems to be a desirable ethos integral to the political strategies of both the GOP and the Democrats. Keeping those race based statistics fed is a top priority.

2. Many law enforcement budgets are influenced by local or area crime rates. The more arrests, the more fodder for police coffers when budget negotiations are being considered. So, when there is little crime to be found...target the blacks or Mexicans more and make that budget justification plausible on THEIR backs, not White ones.

I had to go back and check; but, I was right: For anyone interested in facts use this reference:

The Uniform Crimes Report Does not record or collect statistics on the findings of a court, coroner, jury or of a prosecutor

From the FBI UCR said:
For which categories (e.g., penal, prosecution, arrest, conviction) are statistics collected through the UCR Program?
To best depict total crime and to provide the most meaningful data to police administrators, the UCR Program collects data on known offenses and persons arrested by law enforcement agencies. The UCR Program does not record or collect statistics on the findings of a court, coroner, jury, or the decision of a prosecutor.

FBI UCR General FAQs

So, do you hate all blacks or just black women?

I'm not sure the FBI does issue reports that show convictions. However, it's a data element they collect. Possibly, you have to use their data reporting tool to produce a report of convictions.

Also reported crimes are not collected by the FBI.

The statistics are probably skewed for any minority that creates a high percentage of crimes. Police have limited resources and will always target the group that has the highest crime rate which of courses increases that crime rate further. This in itself is not wrong. It's just something people should be aware of when they look at crime statistics.

I'm not sure the FBI does issue reports that show convictions. However, it's a data element they collect. Possibly, you have to use their data reporting tool to produce a report of convictions.

Also reported crimes are not collected by the FBI.

The statistics are probably skewed for any minority that creates a high percentage of crimes. Police have limited resources and will always target the group that has the highest crime rate which of courses increases that crime rate further. This in itself is not wrong. It's just something people should be aware of when they look at crime statistics.

But isn't the discussion about the UCR? You said it contains prosecutions and convictions. It doesn't! Even after I provided links to the FBI's UCR website in post #77 you say :"I'm not sure the FBI does issue reports that show convictions." You seem to be doubting the FBI's own website. I even took the time to post a brief excerpt of the information for those who didn't actually want to visit the site but that seems to have been in vain.

I do applaud you for at least attempting to address the curse of race based statistics rationally. However, it would help if you knew what you were talking about when tackling such a sensitive issue; especially when discussing the UCR.

You've made some valid points and so have I; but, our respective speculative analyses are conjectural at best. What is needed is a DOJ investigation similar to the one conducted in Ferguson. Then the general public can get the core facts that neither you, I or anyone on USMB are privy to. Personally, I think the same racialist pathology that was ingrained in the Ferguson PD has taken root in SFPD as well.

One more thing: The article in the op specifically noted that black females did not commit more crimes but experienced an upsurge in arrests anyway . In agreement with what you said about targeting the group with the highest crime rate, we still need to understand that, according to the data collected in the UCR, a racial "crime rate" is largely created by how many arrests are made and nothing else. That means the police control it and can manipulate it at will in myriad ways.

I ask this: Why is the United States the only country to use race based Crime statistics? The relatively small number of rascals in the minority groups are used to hurt and cast suspicion on the majority who aren't criminals.

Forum List

Back