"Black" Names

Back in the 1960's negroes had real names like Kim,Delores,Mark,Reggie.
Then in the 1970's negroes wanted to be called African Americans.That's when all the crazy assed names started.

Wrong answer. And it doesn't matter what Doctor King called black people 60 years ago. He called white people white and today you raggedy punks whine about how that's racist.

Last edited:
"You want to know which race is the most violent? The human race, dumbasses. Human beings, of any and all 'races' are violent, irrational, aggressive animals. You might as well bicker over whose shit stinks the most"

"Because most whites have not been trained to think with complexity about racism, and because it benefits white dominance not to do so, we have a very limited understanding of it (Kumashiro, 2009; LaDuke, 2009). We are the least likely to see, comprehend, or be invested in validating people of color’s assertions of racism and being honest about their consequences (King, 1991). At the same time, because of white social, economic, and political power within a white dominant culture, whites are the group in the position to legitimize people of color’s assertions of racism.Being in this position engenders a form of racial arrogance, and in this racial arrogance, whites have little compunction about debating the knowledge of people who have thought deeply about race through research, study, peer-reviewed scholarship, deep and on-going critical self-reflection, interracial relationships, and lived experience (Chinnery, 2008). This expertise is often trivialized and countered with simplistic platitudes, such as “people just need to see each other as individuals” or “see each other as humans” or “take personal responsibility.”

White lack of racial humility often leads to declarations of disagreement when in fact the problem is that we do not understand. Whites generally feel free to dismiss informed perspectives rather than have the humility to acknowledge that they are unfamiliar, reflect on them further, seek more information, or sustain a dialogue (DiAngelo & Sensoy, 2009)."

Dr. Robin DiAngelo

I live in a world were I'm a black man, first and a human being second or last. ...

This is reality. Skin color matters. ....

If that is how YOU view YOURSELF then you're not man or much of a human being. If YOU choose to wear bitter-hatred colored glasses, don't pretend that is objective reality instead of your CHOICE. And don't bitch about the world being the way you CHOOSE to see it. Your weak, defeatist attitude is the antithesis of what MLK was trying to say. Life isn't perfect and it isn't "fair" for anyone. Some people CHOOSE to see the best in themselves and others and do their best for themselves and others whatever the obstacles. Some people (YOU) CHOOSE to define themselves as helpless victims and just lie on their backs crying like a frustrated infant. That's not being a man, and it's not being much of a human being.

...So unlike you I can't afford to be all "Were all human beings. Let's all hold hands"

Who said anything about "holding hands"? We ARE all human beings whether you can "afford" to recognize it or not. I have no patience for racists, but neither do I have any patience for excuses or low expectations. I have seen far too often what they can do to young people just setting out into the world. Conversely, I have seen so many kids who at a very young age have faced more dire obstacles than I bet you have ever faced who don't waste their lives wallowing in self-pity and bitterness, who work like crazy and display a strength of character you seem to be lacking. They have already succeeded where you have failed, regardless of income or station in life because THEY are REAL men (and, of course, women). Optimism is NOT the opposite of realism. Bitter hatred is a CHOICE, just as perseverance is.

Unkotare
"That’s exactly the sort of reasoning that, when pointed in the other direction, gets your fellow racist im2’s panties in a bunch"

That's what the white supremacists like Correll n harmonica n westwall n mudwhistle n Admiral Rockwell Tory do if IM2 or me point out racism, all they do is try and move argument from what whites do, to what they think blks do.

First off, I am Native American. My people have been screwed over, in many ways, worse than yours.

However, instead of becoming a drunk "stay around the fort", I decided that these whites weren't the same as the whites who had harmed my people, and instead of living in the past, I figured if you can't beat them, join them.

So I have gone to school and earned an advanced degree and I have lived a hell of a fun life. I honor my forbears, but I am not chained to them.

You are. A former slave named Elijah Marrs wrote a memoir. You should read it.

westwall
"Because the blacks kill their own kind just fine. When they leave their neighborhoods they have no idea which white ghost is armed. Makes it a lot more dangerous."

So are you saying that blk ppl have been more violent than white ppl and that's been the case consistently for the past 300 yrs ?

No, I am saying that 3rd world people are more violent. Their color doesn't matter. Their culture does.

Unkotare
"You want to know which race is the most violent? The human race, dumbasses. Human beings, of any and all 'races' are violent, irrational, aggressive animals. You might as well bicker over whose shit stinks the most"

What you're saying is right in the abstract, but wrong in context

Telling someone to brush their teeth everyday is right in the abstract but to tell that someone who has had their teeth smashed out in a car accident, in that context, that advice is awful.

I live in a global system of white supremacy and in a world of anti Blackness. So unlike you I can't afford to be all "Were all human beings. Let's all hold hands"

NO.

I live in a world were I'm a black man, first and a human being second or last. I didn’t ask to be seen this way, but that’s the way it is

In a perfect world skin color wouldn’t matter and yes we would all be human beings. But race is like is money.

A $100 has no intrinsic value and meaning. It only has value and meaning bcoz everyone agrees that it value and meaning n acts accordingly.

Race is the same thing.

This is reality. Skin color matters. This society values white skin like it values money and material things.

At the same time the same society devalues dark skin for no logical reason. Yet, they devalue it so much, they even try to turn it into a legitimate science.

Its not the differences that cause racism nor does it lie in noticing or not noticing them it is how we deal with those differences that matters.

No, skin color doesn't matter. Not like it did in the past. This is the 2000's. Not the 1960's. Now if race comes up it's because people have to go out of their way to make it happen.

Obviously there are enclaves of stupidity, but reasonable people avoid them.

Unkotare
"If that is how YOU view YOURSELF then you're not man or much of a human being"

Remember what I said.

"I live in a world were I'm a black man, first and a human being second or last"

That has nothing to do with what I think of myself. That statement has to do with the world I live in and that world is a system of white supremacy.

Trying to play to my ego by saying "you're not a man" does not work.

Why ?

Bcoz I agree 100%. In a system of white supremacy I'm not a man and that's what the white supremacist call black men "Boy"

If I could convince everyone you come into contact, that you are violent, less intelligent, immoral. It does not matter what you think of yourself. You're going to have to deal with that system on head on. I deal with the system head on.

Unkotare
"If YOU choose to wear bitter-hatred colored glasses"

I have no hate towards whites

I've always said. I dont want blk ppl to hate white ppl. I want blk ppl to stop loving them so much.

It's easy to label anger as negative, as something that is always illegitimate and unhealthy, rather than to stop doing the things that trigger it.

It's easier to condemn anger than it is to promote justice. It's easier to make anger the problem than it is to examine the violations that give rise to it.

Unkotare
"don't pretend that is objective reality instead of your CHOICE"

It is reality. We live in world of white supremacy and anti Blackness. Even in places where there are no blk ppl, like Russia, they still have the white supremacist views about black ppl as anywhere else.

Unkotare
"Your weak, defeatist attitude is the antithesis of what MLK was trying to say. Some people (YOU) CHOOSE to define themselves as helpless victims and just lie on their backs crying like a frustrated infant. That's not being a man, and it's not being much of a human being"

You're right. I'm a victim of white supremacy.

And how come you don't accuse the likes of Correll n harmonica n mudwhistle n @westwell and others on USMB who are always talking about how whites are victims of taxes, big government, immigrants, reverse discrimination, black crime, Islam, ISIS n coronavirus.

They love being victims. But you're silence is deafening with them. I dont see any "You're not a man" "You're a cry baby"

None of that talk with them. Eh ?

Are white ppl the only ones who get to choose which victims count ?

When you buy insurance, are you acting like a victim?

When you put a seat belt on are you acting like a victim ?

Why dont you just man up and risk going through the window screen?

Knowing the truth inspires perseverance and passionate resistance to victimization

In fact, downplaying racism will backfire. If a person is led to believe that there are no obstacles in their way, and that their hard work, intelligence and ability are all that will matter, they might slack up.

They may overestimate the extent to which whites will recognize their effort and hard work.

To tell my son he can be anything he wants to be if he tries hard enough is nice.

But in a system of racism unless I warn him about the obstacles in his path, I'm ill-suiting him for the real world.

I'm doing him no favors. On the other hand, by discussing those obstacles strategies of resistance to them can steel himself against the shit that he will face

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
Unkotare
"If that is how YOU view YOURSELF then you're not man or much of a human being"

Remember what I said.

"I live in a world were I'm a black man, first and a human being second or last"

That has nothing to do with what I think of myself. That statement has to do with the world I live in ...

It has EVERYTHING to do with what you think of yourself and how you CHOOSE to see the world around you. People who live in the same world as you CHOOSE to see it differently. Your CHOICE leads to surrender and failure. The other CHOICE leads to opportunity and potential.

Trying to play to my ego by saying "you're not a man" does not work.

Why ?

Bcoz I agree 100%. In a system of white supremacy I'm not a man and that's what the white supremacist call black men "Boy"

Now who's trying to play on emotion?

And how come you don't accuse the likes of Correll n harmonica n mudwhistle n ... and others on USMB who are always talking about how whites are victims of taxes, big government, immigrants, reverse discrimination, black crime, Islam, ISIS n coronavirus.

They love being victims. But you're silence is deafening with them. I dont see any "You're not a man" "You're a cry baby"

None of that talk with them. Eh ?

I do - ALL THE TIME. You're too damn busy feeling sorry for yourself to pay attention.

I have written in this space previously that much of Black "inequality" can be reasonably attributed to voluntary behaviors by individual Blacks - mainly bastardy, school drop-out tendency, and petty criminality - and I have recently come upon another one, also a total mystery to me.

It is "common knowledge" in the Black community that having a "Black" name can often lead to, for example, employment applications being discarded, and other similar forms of discrimination. Indeed, I have read some first-person accounts of white people having Black-sounding names (e.g., "Jamal") and experiencing such discrimination "unfairly"(?).

And yet, the trend toward bizarre Christian names among Blacks seems to be increasing as time goes by.

Malik. LaShonda. Trayvon. LaToya. Names with mis-placed capital letters, and apostrophes. I pity the inner-city Kindergarten teacher who must address these children in school for the first time, trying to figure out how to pronounce some of these bizarre names, and to do so without laughing. I have occasionally thought that mothers invent them in the hope that one day the child will be a mega-super-star of one form or another who can be known simply by that first name. Shaquille. OJ. Michael. Et cetera. (Oops. Has anybody used that one?)

But seriously, is this not an utterly stupid thing to do? Why would you - even potentially - saddle your kid with a name that will label him/her as Black, sight unseen, for the rest of his or her life, knowing that it is likely that the name will result in negative discrimination in at least some circumstances? You might as well put a tattoo on your child's forehead saying, "My Mother is an Idiot."

Were I a Black parent, I would go to the other extreme, naming my kid with the most Wasp-ish name I could imagine ("Chatsworth Osborne Smith"), in the hope that it might open a door somewhere in the future. If you want to CALL your kid something more creative, knock yourself out. But to put "D'boneHead" on a Birth Certificate is almost criminally stupid.

Here we have another white person trying to tell blacks what to do. First off, the root cause of the problems we face are rooted in racist beliefs and behavior of whites. Blacks don't need to name our kids as whites tell us to. Whites like the OP need to stop being racists.
Sorry, no. The root of the problem is how blacks behave in school. Every business knows when they get a resume from Shaquille, youre going to get an uneducated and disruptive and undisciplined worker.

It's up to the black community to change that perception. Threats won't work. Just raise the next generation better than the last.

When I fought LSU over room assignments for my daughter one of the housing deans said "looks like you are being racist". I held up the assignment list with the name "Shaniqua" on it and said "do you see race listed on this form"? She got really really red in the face.

The misery of being a liberal and having to pretend to be stupider than you really are! It was sweet to behold.

Unkotare
"don't pretend that is objective reality instead of your CHOICE"

It is reality. We live in world of white supremacy and anti Blackness. ...

You're right. I'm a victim of white supremacy.

And you whine when I point out that weak, spineless attitude (again, your CHOICE) is not how a man faces the world. You're a victim - of yourself - because you need to be. You have CHOSEN to build your entire self-identity around being a helpless victim. You're afraid to face the world without the crutch of "there's nothing I can do! the whole world is against me!" That way, you've got a ready excuse for every failure and personal weakness. Lots of other people - stronger people, better people - make different CHOICES about how they interact with the world.

If I could convince everyone you come into contact, that you are violent, less intelligent, immoral. It does not matter what you think of yourself. ...

Of course it matters. It matters more than anything else in what impression I give people.

can be anything he wants to be if he tries hard enough is nice.

But in a system of racism unless I warn him about the obstacles in his path, I'm ill-suiting him for the real world.

I'm doing him no favors. On the other hand, by discussing those obstacles strategies of resistance to them can steel himself against the shit that he will face

Instilling low expectations and a sense of helplessness in young people is an insidious form of neglect and abuse.

There is a short list of words I never tolerate in my classes or on my team. Among them is "fair."

In fact, downplaying racism will backfire. If a person is led to believe that there are no obstacles in their way, and that their hard work, intelligence and ability are all that will matter, they might slack up.

They may overestimate the extent to which whites will recognize their e...

You won't see me denying racism exists. Everyone - whatever they look like - faces obstacles in life, and anyone who slacks off stands a better chance of failure than success. Hard work, intelligence, and ability matter more than anything else in America, but opportunity does not guarantee outcome.

Unkotare
:And you whine when I point out that weak, spineless attitude (again, your CHOICE) is not how a man faces the world. You're a victim - of yourself - because you need to be"

There was a guy called Joshua Solomon in 1999. He changed himself from black to white.

He thought that blk ppl acted like victims and spineless. All of that tough talk whites like 2 do.

He felt that many black people used racism as an an excuse.

So what did he do ? He went to a doctor who gave him pills to turn his white skin brown.

He shaved the hair off his head but dressed the same, acted the same, talked the same. He had the same money and education.

This is him.

screen-shot-2013-02-10-at-3-42-36-pm.png

After one week he was done.

Even though he was going to do it for about 4 months around the country.

As a White man he looks and smiles at White people and they smiled back.

As a Black man ? Whites looked away, n locked their doors.

The police would stop him just walking down the street.

Restaurants would tell him they were full, even when they were not

By his second day in he was in tears.

Oprah did a programme about it.

This is why I laugh when white people like to come with any shaming tactics because they can't handle racism for a minute

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

Forum List

Back