Black-eyed peas...

I like black eyes peas prepared properly with a little bacon, Foxy. Ham isn't bad either. The prevailing tradition here is pork and kraut though, with corned beef and cabbage coming in second. It's easier to eat 365 little tiny shreds of kraut than 365 black eyed peas, so I'm not complaining. :lol:

You guys just don't know your history. :)

Back in the days of civil war, Union troops swept through the south, confiscating crops and livestock to use as provisions for their troops. Southerners who weren’t off fighting were left with precious little, save for peas and greens. You see, Union soldiers considered “field peas” and greens to be fit only for animal fodder. These dishes became cherished and appreciated as what saved many a family from starvation during those times and the tradition of celebrating these dishes on the new year was born.

There are three things every southerner must eat on New Years day, Black eyed peas, greens, and hog jowl or fatback.Black Eyed peas are said to bring luck in the coming year, with many traditions holding that you must eat at least 365 of them. We never had a number, but the more you ate, the more luck you were supposed to have so Mama always makes plenty!

Black Eyed Peas For New Years Day (and why!) | Southern Plate

BLACK EYED PEAS for NEW YEARS
548303.jpg

Ingredients1 cup butter
2 onion sliced into thin slivers
3 pounds cubed beef or lean pork stew meat
salt and pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic, sliced, or to taste
3 (16 ounce) packages frozen black-eyed peas

DirectionsMelt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat
cook the onions in the melted butter until translucent (about 5 min)
Add meat and season with salt and pepper.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is tender and the juices have cooked away, about 30 minutes.

Stir in the garlic and peas; pour in enough water to cover. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, and simmer over low heat until the peas change color and are tender and hot, and almost all of the liquid has been absorbed, about 1 hour.

OK... It's New Year's Day. Are you going to eat your black-eyed peas today and have really good luck all year long or do you choose not to eat your black-eyed peas today and simply be fucked all year long. What's it going to be? I have a big pot of black-eyed peas on the stove cooking right now. I'm going to eat so many black-eyed peas today that I'm bound to win the lottery this year. Most likely will win it two or three times...:lol:

Directions to your house?

Directions to BBD's house:

Drive to Chicago or fly there and rent a car. Drive 100 miles due west of Chicago. When you get that far from Chicago, pull into any service station. Ask the person working behind the counter where Big Black Dog lives. They will give you the rest of the directions. They all know me.

Forum List

Back