Bipartisan Bill Seeks To Protect Pot Smokers From The Feds...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Come on America, lets stop locking Citizens up for silly Marijuana offenses. Time to move past that.

A bipartisan group of lawmakers wants the federal government to butt out of states’ decisions to legalize and regulate marijuana, whether it’s for medical or recreational purposes.

The Respect State Marijuana Laws Act, introduced in Congress by a consortium of congresspeople led by Republican Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, would immunize pot smokers, growers and sellers in permissive states from federal prosecution.

Eighteen states and Washington, D.C., have some form of medical marijuana laws and two — Colorado and Washington — recently passed laws legalizing pot for recreational use.

The bill is co-sponsored by Republicans Don Young and Justin Amash and Democrats Jared Polis, Earl Blumenauer and Steve Cohen.

“This bipartisan bill represents a common-sense approach that establishes federal government respect for all states’ marijuana laws,” Rohrabacher said in a statement. ”It does so by keeping the federal government out of the business of criminalizing marijuana activities in states that don’t want it to be criminal.”

The bill comes after the release of a Pew Research Center survey last week that shows a majority of Americans, 52 percent, favor legalization for the first time in 40 years...

Read more: Bipartisan bill seeks to protect pot smokers from the feds | The Daily Caller

It is a state issue unless the drugs go over the state line. When Joe Blow buys legal pot in Colorado and takes it home to Wyoming, that's a federal offense.

Not any different than if I buy oranges in Arizona or Nevada and try to take them to California. I would be stopped at an agriculture checkpoint. My oranges would either be confiscated or I would have to turn back.

It is a state issue unless the drugs go over the state line. When Joe Blow buys legal pot in Colorado and takes it home to Wyoming, that's a federal offense.

Not any different than if I buy oranges in Arizona or Nevada and try to take them to California. I would be stopped at an agriculture checkpoint. My oranges would either be confiscated or I would have to turn back.

Maybe we should no longer do that either?

Living in an agricultural state with a long history of growing/ brewing/ distilling products that people want and the federal government doesn't want them to have, I'm in full support of decriminalizing weed. Regulate it/ tax it like booze and you'll see a massive decrease in crime associated with the illegal drug trade, both in the US and Mexico. You'll also see Mexican drug lords crying as American farmers crush them, economically speaking of course.

Maybe we should no longer do that either?

Lol

Does seem kind of stupid.

Living in an agricultural state with a long history of growing/ brewing/ distilling products that people want and the federal government doesn't want them to have, I'm in full support of decriminalizing weed. Regulate it/ tax it like booze and you'll see a massive decrease in crime associated with the illegal drug trade, both in the US and Mexico. You'll also see Mexican drug lords crying as American farmers crush them, economically speaking of course.

And an economic boom to both local and national economies.

That's for pest control and to help protect the agriculture businesses in CA. I don't think that has anything to do with controlled substances.

There are many states which prohibit importation of alcohol from other states although I don't think it is really enforced. It's likely the same thing could happen with pot one day.

Forum List

Back