biggest factor in climate uncertainty

Nature | News

(read full article at title link)

Politics is biggest factor in climate uncertainty

Delaying action on emissions will increase costs and reduce chances of limiting temperature increase.

... results, published today in Nature1, contradict claims that governments should delay action on climate change until scientific certainty further improves. They also imply that speeding up action could lead to significant cost savings.
Joeri Rogelj, a climate-policy analyst at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich, and his colleagues assessed the relative importance of four major sources of uncertainty in limiting the rise in global average temperatures. These were political uncertainty regarding when a coordinated global climate policy might be achieved; scientific uncertainty over how much the Earth will warm in response to emissions; social uncertainty about future energy demand; and technological uncertainty regarding the availability of emissions-reduction technologies...

NatureDOI:doi:10.1038/nature.2013.12138
References

1. Rogelj, J., McCollum, D. L., Reisinger, A., Meinshausen, M. & Riahi, K. Nature 493, 79–83 (2013).
  2. Hatfield-Dodds, S. Nature 493, 35–36 (2013).

The biggest factor in climate uncertainty is that we have barely scratched the surface of the true energy budget as evidenced by the continued use of trenberth's. We can't even say for sure what the albedo of the planet is. At this point, we really don't have a clue as to not only what drives the climate, but how many factors might drive it under different senarios. It is at present, mostly guesswork and guesswork is by defnintion uncertainty.

Yet people like you would have us to continue to pour GHGs into the atmosphere without regard to the fact that we do not know the sensitivity of the climate to those inputs. And in spite of the fact that the sensitivity appears to be far greater than previously estimated, current events providing evidence for that statement.

What you said makes sense to me, Old Rocks. I think Earth has a sensitivity, based on it's present shape, after the circum-equatorial current disappeared and Ice Ages began. I don't know what it is, but it's getting hotter where I live. If it gets too hot, we can wipe out every coastal city on Earth. I know we don't have data to support that conclusion, but the cost will be enormous. I know glaciers aren't solid and they will flow to the oceans.

The fact is we don't know, but we know we are making the world hotter. The reality deals with planet sensitivity. How do you know that factor?

From the Journal article -

"...The researchers compared emissions and costs in more than 500 scenarios, and revealed that the timing of global action will have the greatest effect on whether the world meets a given climate target, such as keeping global temperature rise to less than 2 °C above pre-industrial levels. The second most important factor was scientific uncertainties, followed by social and technological ones..."

Climate sensitivity is constrained by paleoclimate records where we can look at previous eras that had similar forcings and derive the temperatures that resulted from those forcings as the planetary climate system equilibrated to the forcing factors. Short-term (Charney) climate sensitivity is in the range of 2º to 4.5º K. Long-term (multi-millenia) climate sensitivity is in the 3.5º-6º K range. IOW, doubling of atmospheric CO2 (under general modern surface conditions) will produce ~3º K of warming within a few decades, over a period of a few thousand years an additional ~1.5º K will accumulate as the system fullly equilibrates to the new forcing of the system.

There are also modern climate sensitivity analyses such as Bender 2010, "Response to the eruption of Mount Pinatubo in relation to climate sensitivity in the CMIP3 models" - http://people.su.se/~fbend/benderetal10.pdf

General References:

"High Earth-System Climate Sensitivity determined from Pliocene CO2 Concentrations" - http://earth.geology.yale.edu/~mp364/data/2009%20Pagani%20et%20al.pdf

"What caused Earth's temperature variations during the last 800,000 years? Data-based evidence on radiative forcing and constraints on climate sensitivity" - http://www.awi.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Research/Research_Divisions/Climate_Sciences/Paleoclimate_Dynamics/NewManuscripts/WhatCausedEarth.pdf

"Making sense of palaeoclimate sensitivity" - http://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark...Making sense of palaeoclimate sensitivity.pdf

Since there is no greenhouse effect, what difference do you think it could make insofar as the cliamte is concerned?

Ah, we see here exactly where mere doubt and uncertainty meet the politically sponsored cult of denial and arrogant ignorance.

The fact is we don't know, but we know we are making the world hotter. The reality deals with planet sensitivity. How do you know that factor?

"...The researchers compared emissions and costs in more than 500 scenarios, and revealed that the timing of global action will have the greatest effect on whether the world meets a given climate target, such as keeping global temperature rise to less than 2 °C above pre-industrial levels. The second most important factor was scientific uncertainties, followed by social and technological ones..."

Climate sensitivity is constrained by paleoclimate records where we can look at previous eras that had similar forcings and derive the temperatures that resulted from those forcings as the planetary climate system equilibrated to the forcing factors. Short-term (Charney) climate sensitivity is in the range of 2º to 4.5º K. Long-term (multi-millenia) climate sensitivity is in the 3.5º-6º K range. IOW, doubling of atmospheric CO2 (under general modern surface conditions) will produce ~3º K of warming within a few decades, over a period of a few thousand years an additional ~1.5º K will accumulate as the system fullly equilibrates to the new forcing of the system.

There are also modern climate sensitivity analyses such as Bender 2010, "Response to the eruption of Mount Pinatubo in relation to climate sensitivity in the CMIP3 models" - http://people.su.se/~fbend/benderetal10.pdf

General References:

"High Earth-System Climate Sensitivity determined from Pliocene CO2 Concentrations" - http://earth.geology.yale.edu/~mp364/data/2009%20Pagani%20et%20al.pdf

"What caused Earth's temperature variations during the last 800,000 years? Data-based evidence on radiative forcing and constraints on climate sensitivity" - http://www.awi.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Research/Research_Divisions/Climate_Sciences/Paleoclimate_Dynamics/NewManuscripts/WhatCausedEarth.pdf

"Making sense of palaeoclimate sensitivity" - http://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark...Making sense of palaeoclimate sensitivity.pdf

I think it will be higher and sooner, but that's just a human brain calculating the results.

You post many good things on this forum and I thank you for doing it.

I think the shit is going to hit the fan sooner than the scientists realize, but it's just my scientific opinion. The problem with me and the future is, I'm almost always right. I'd give us 3 years before this Denialista's nonsense ends, if we have that long.

General References:

I think it will be higher and sooner, but that's just a human brain calculating the results.

I think the shit is going to hit the fan sooner than the scientists realize, but it's just my scientific opinion. The problem with me and the future is, I'm almost always right. I'd give us 3 years before this Denialista's nonsense ends, if we have that long.

I won't argue against a "sooner and more intense" perspective, but for the sake of all humanity, I hope I am mistaken.

General References:

I won't argue against a "sooner and more intense" perspective, but for the sake of all humanity, I hope I am mistaken.

We both do and I see little joy in Mudville's future.

Since there is no greenhouse effect, what difference do you think it could make insofar as the cliamte is concerned?

Ah, we see here exactly where mere doubt and uncertainty meet the politically sponsored cult of denial and arrogant ignorance.

There is nothing political, nor ignorant in my position.

Tell you what trakar, how about you show me an actual measurment of a greenhouse effect in an open atmosphere....or even a mathematical model of it. Contrary to your propagandist spew, it is you who is operating out of political motivation as there isn't the fist shred of actual evidence to support your claims.

You seem to go on endlessly about other people's unfounded claims when at the foundation, it is your claims that are entirely unfounded and unsupportable.

But I do look forward to seeing what you present as actual measurements of the claimed greenhouse effect or a mathematical model.

Tell you what trakar, how about you show me an actual measurment of a greenhouse effect in an open atmosphere....or even a mathematical model of it. Contrary to your propagandist spew, it is you who is operating out of political motivation as there isn't the fist shred of actual evidence to support your claims.

You seem to go on endlessly about other people's unfounded claims when at the foundation, it is your claims that are entirely unfounded and unsupportable.

But I do look forward to seeing what you present as actual measurements of the claimed greenhouse effect or a mathematical model.

I've asked you what makes nights warm in summer and you ignored the point. That is the greenhouse effect. Some gases absorb infrared radiation and some don't. Water vapor does, but water likes to stay low in the atmosphere and has an affinity for itself, because the molecules are polar and attract each other. Gases like CO2 and HCFC will go much further into the atmosphere, where the sunlight passes through.

Put on your shorts, go to a desert and spend the night! Since deserts don't have much moisture in the air, they don't retain heat once the sun goes down. They are usually hot during the day and cold at night. Put your ass there and when you are shivering, maybe your brain will work and figure it out.

Being stupid must be a 24/7 job for you. How can you deny an absorption spectrum? Things are what they are. I guess Chemistry never had IR or UV Analysis, because you said they couldn't and the universe listened to you!

Why do you even bother with science; you obviously will never learn anything about it?

I've asked you what makes nights warm in summer and you ignored the point. That is the greenhouse effect. Some gases absorb infrared radiation and some don't. Water vapor does, but water likes to stay low in the atmosphere and has an affinity for itself, because the molecules are polar and attract each other. Gases like CO2 and HCFC will go much further into the atmosphere, where the sunlight passes through.

The primary reason the earth stays warm at night is radiation from the surface of the earth that was absorbed during the daylight hours... the secondary reason is water vapor...not a greenhouse effect.. Tell you what dubya, how about you show me a mathematical model of the greenhouse effect, or some measurable evidence of it. Suirely if it exists, it must have been modeled ir can be measured.

Put on your shorts, go to a desert and spend the night! Since deserts don't have much moisture in the air, they don't retain heat once the sun goes down. They are usually hot during the day and cold at night. Put your ass there and when you are shivering, maybe your brain will work and figure it out.

At least you are figuring out that it isn't CO2. Congratulations.

The primary reason the earth stays warm at night is radiation from the surface of the earth that was absorbed during the daylight hours... the secondary reason is water vapor...not a greenhouse effect.. Tell you what dubya, how about you show me a mathematical model of the greenhouse effect, or some measurable evidence of it. Suirely if it exists, it must have been modeled ir can be measured.

At least you are figuring out that it isn't CO2. Congratulations.

No it isn't anything your mind can imagine.

Land can't absorb that much heat. Get in your shorts and go to a desert! Deserts aren't easy to live in, because a 60 degree difference in temperature between night and day isn't uncommon. Deserts have low humidity and they will rapidly lose temperature, when the sun isn't warming them. The human body gets used to a certain temperature range and rapid changes bother it.

CO2 can get much higher in the atmosphere than water, so all that sunlight can warm it. Water is the most important greenhouse gas, but it sticks to the skin of the planet. CO2 and methane can get high up in the atmosphere. When a molecule absorbs light, it will radiate it in all directions. The kind of light it can absorb is determined by the configuration of it's electrons. Gases like nitrogen and oxygen, which make up most of our atmosphere, are tranparent to sunlight and don't absorb energy. If the energy is absorbed by the Earth's surface it radiates back as IR. Smaller amounts are reflected by clouds and white areas on the Earth. Remember the diagram and your stupidity! Those figures are based on average square meter of the Earth's surface. Did you notice how the back radiation from the atmosphere was nearly twice the amount of direct sunlight absorbed by the Earth's surface? Without greenhouse gases, this planet would be one cold place.

We have studied this planet, which is mostly oceans, so the circulation of the oceans is a factor over long periods of time. Major changes in thermohaline circulation will change a mostly water planet's sensitivity. The oceans can also act like a buffer to extreme changes during short time periods.

We can rather accurately measure our global energy budget, but we can't measure our planet's sensitivity to change. We can only estimate what it is. So we notice all this arctic sea ice and snow cover in the Northern Hemisphere is gone. It doesn't take a rocket scientists to figure out there will be big problems if that trend isn't reversed. We've lost the area of three Greenlands, just from Northern Hemisphere snow cover. If we don't reverse this in the near future, we're going to melt GIS and WAIS.

Now, I totally agree that people aren't stupid enough to just drown themselves and will leave the areas given to fishes, but the cost of that fiasco will be enormous. Put that into your calculator and smoke it!

Marshall_Applewhite.jpg

Delaying action on emissions will increase costs and reduce chances of limiting temperature increase.

Marshall_Applewhite.jpg

Technology develops in the past never costed the world a dime and always improved it.

Now, who is the Alarmist?

I'd be happy to discuss the history of scientific discovery and understanding of atmospheric greenhouse effects and the substances and mechanisms involved. The American Institute of Physics thoughtfully provides a handy guide and reference source for this effort (http://www.aip.org/history/climate/co2.htm).

A few historic references:

Tyndall 1861 -
"On the Absorption and Radiation of Heat by Gases and Vapours, and on the Physical Connexion of Radiation, Absorption, and Conduction"
http://atoc.colorado.edu/~dcn/ATOC6020/papers/tyndall-1861.pdf

Arrhenius 1896 -
"On the Influence of Carbonic Acid in the Air upon the Temperature of the Ground"
http://www.rsc.org/images/Arrhenius1896_tcm18-173546.pdf

Hulburt 1931 -
"The Temperature of the Lower Atmosphere of the Earth"
http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PR/v38/i10/p1876_1 (not at home, will look for an open source link when I get home).

Callendar 1941 -
"Infra-red absorption by carbon dioxide, with special reference to atmospheric radiation"
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/qj.49706729105/abstract

"THE DISTRIBUTION OFRADIATIONAL TEMPERATURE CHANGE IN THE NORTHERN HEMISPHERE DURING MARCH" - http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=AD0007679

http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/full/seri/PASP./0039//0000034.000.html
(relevent section bottom of page 31 through page 35)

And a few modern references,...just to get the ball rolling:

"Observational determination of the greenhouse effect"
http://ceres.larc.nasa.gov/documents/STM/2011-10/15_Ramanathan-10-05_CERES-2011-Talk.pdf
(1989)

"THE "GREENHOUSE" EFFECT AND CLIMATE CHANGE"
http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/envs501/downloads/Mitchell%201989.pdf

(1989)

"On monitoring the atmospheric greenhouse effect from space"
http://journals.sfu.ca/coaction/index.php/tellusb/article/viewFile/15963/17880
(1997)

"Deductions from a simple climate model: Factors governing surface temperature and atmospheric thermal structure"
http://www-ramanathan.ucsd.edu/files/pr63.pdf
(1995)

"Solar and thermal radiation profiles and radiative forcing measured through the atmosphere"
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2012GL052087/pdf
(2012)

As always more available upon request.

This is all, however, mere background for any serious discussion of climate change science. Personally, I'm more interested in what we don't know, but the evidences abound in any open, rigorous and reasoned exploration of the subject.

Land can't absorb that much heat. Get in your shorts and go to a desert! Deserts aren't easy to live in, because a 60 degree difference in temperature between night and day isn't uncommon. Deserts have low humidity and they will rapidly lose temperature, when the sun isn't warming them. The human body gets used to a certain temperature range and rapid changes bother it.

Rock, sand, and earth can't absorb that much heat? Guess you have never been to the desert. Oddly enough, I have. I lived in Albuquerque for a number of years and was a scout leader there at the time. We did a good deal of camping in the desert. Go out to the desert some night with a shovel....wait till the ambient temperature seems to be quite chlly and then dig a hole a few inches deep. Compare the temperature in that hole to the ambient. Rock, sand, and earth absorb and retain a great deal of heat.

If you ever set up a tent in the desert, you may have noticed that when you went to bed because it had gotten so cold outside, the inside of your tent would be considerably warmer than the ambient air. That's because your tent stops convection and conduction better than the open air and your tent will hold in a fair amount of that heat that you claim that rock, earth, and sand can't absorb to well.

CO2 can get much higher in the atmosphere than water, so all that sunlight can warm it.

CO2 can't retain heat. It absorbs and emits. It doesn't retain heat. Water vapor is the only gas known to man that can absorb and retain heat in the open atmosphere. That explains the difference in day time warm up and night time cool down in coastal vs desert regions.

All CO2 and the other so called greenhouse gasses do is provide a window that hastens the escape of heat into space. There is a physicist named Garaff who is doing experiments that demonstrate that an atmosphere without radiative gasses is warmer than an atmosphere with radiative gasses. An atmosphere witout radiative gasses must depend entirely on convection and conduction to move heat to the upper atmosphere.

We can rather accurately measure our global energy budget, but we can't measure our planet's sensitivity to change.

If we can accurately measure the planet's global energy budget, why does climate science continue to use trenberth's which models a flat earth with no day or night, no rotation, constant sunlight at 1/4 of the actual amount, and depends entirely on radiation to move energy around?

I'd be happy to discuss the history of scientific discovery and understanding of atmospheric greenhouse effects and the substances and mechanisms involved.

I see you would be happy to discuss it and perhaps discuss it ad nauseum. We both know why don't we? I asked for a mathematical model or actual measurement of the greenhouse effect. Not surprisingly, you provided neither....and we both know why you din't don't we?

Lots of hypothesis....assumption...results of computer simulations...but nothing real.

...All CO2 and the other so called greenhouse gasses do is provide a window that hastens the escape of heat into space. There is a physicist named Garaff who is doing experiments that demonstrate that an atmosphere without radiative gasses is warmer than an atmosphere with radiative gasses. An atmosphere witout radiative gasses must depend entirely on convection and conduction to move heat to the upper atmosphere...

This is not just wrong (as demonstrated in all of the links previous provided and throughout the researches and studies conducted by a broad range of scientific fields of investigation), it is almost 180º opposite of the evidences. You are approximately correct in stating that CO2 "absorbs and emits" (which should have warned you of the contradiction inherent to following that comment with the statement that CO2 provides a "window that hastens the escape of heat into space"), the problem with CO2 (and other GHGs) is that when they interact with a longwave photon, they do not re-emit that photon along a narrow angle of deviation from the path of the incident photon. Instead, in CO2 and other GHGs, the re-emitted IR photon is pretty much randomized in the direction of its emission. This randomization results in longer mean free-path of the photons (mean free-path - distance photon will travel before it is absorbed and re-emitted by another electron), meaning that this thermal photon spends more time within terrestrial environment, warming the terrestrial environment. The more CO2 you add to the atmosphere the more you increase the mean free path of long-wave radiation travelling through our atmosphere.

References:

"Greenhouse Gas Molecules: A Mathematical Perspective"
http://www.ams.org/notices/201110/rtx111001421p.pdf

"chapter 3 absorption, emission, reflection, and scattering - SSEC"
http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/library/coursefiles/03_abs_emiss_ref.pdf

"...Students observe and contrast thermal properties of three major greenhouse gases. Using simple, readily available materials, students collect temperature change over time for dry air, water saturated air, carbon dioxide, and methane..."
http://education.usgs.gov/lessons/gases.pdf

Last edited:
I'd be happy to discuss the history of scientific discovery and understanding of atmospheric greenhouse effects and the substances and mechanisms involved.

I see you would be happy to discuss it and perhaps discuss it ad nauseum. We both know why don't we? I asked for a mathematical model or actual measurement of the greenhouse effect. Not surprisingly, you provided neither....and we both know why you din't don't we?

Lots of hypothesis....assumption...results of computer simulations...but nothing real.

You were told they can measure the light absorbed by a gas and determine the absorption spectrum. If it doesn't absorb IR it isn't a greenhouse gas. You were told they can measure the sunlight striking a planet too, the amount of light the planet gives off and it's temperature. Without the greenhouse effect, the planet doesn't warm much.

There is nothing AGW about that science. It's just flat earth to deny the greenhouse effect.

This is not just wrong (as demonstrated in all of the links previous provided and throughout the researches and studies conducted by a broad range of scientific fields of investigation), it is almost 180º opposite of the evidences.

So you say, except that hundreds of repeatable experiments being performed since about 2000 say that you are wrong. Which observable experiments prove you right?

You were told they can measure the light absorbed by a gas and determine the absorption spectrum. If it doesn't absorb IR it isn't a greenhouse gas. You were told they can measure the sunlight striking a planet too, the amount of light the planet gives off and it's temperature. Without the greenhouse effect, the planet doesn't warm much.

Yes dubya, the absorption spectra of so called greenhouse gasses to tell us that they absorb IR. What you don't seem to get is that the so called greenhouse gasses also have an emission spectra that tells us that they emit what they absorb at a very slightly lower wavelength due to the energy required to cause a vibration. They don't retain any of that IR.

Last edited:
This is not just wrong (as demonstrated in all of the links previous provided and throughout the researches and studies conducted by a broad range of scientific fields of investigation), it is almost 180º opposite of the evidences.

So you say, except that hundreds of repeatable experiments being performed since about 2000 say that you are wrong. Which observable experiments prove you right?

OK. Since you act just like the dumbasses I deal with on a daily basis, I will address you as such.

Dumb fuck, show your card! Yap-yap is all you have given us, no referances backing your flap-yap at all. Traker and I, as well as others, have given you referances to peer reviewed work by well known and respected scientists. If your expect to have any credibility in this debate, show us like material supporting your point of view.

So, link us to those experiments. They were performed by real scientists, correct? With proper documentation as to methodology, tools, ect., so they can be repeated by other scientists? You can do that, can't you?

Forum List

Back