biggest factor in climate uncertainty

Trakar

VIP Member
Feb 28, 2011
Nature | News

(read full article at title link)

Politics is biggest factor in climate uncertainty

Delaying action on emissions will increase costs and reduce chances of limiting temperature increase.

... results, published today in Nature1, contradict claims that governments should delay action on climate change until scientific certainty further improves. They also imply that speeding up action could lead to significant cost savings.
Joeri Rogelj, a climate-policy analyst at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich, and his colleagues assessed the relative importance of four major sources of uncertainty in limiting the rise in global average temperatures. These were political uncertainty regarding when a coordinated global climate policy might be achieved; scientific uncertainty over how much the Earth will warm in response to emissions; social uncertainty about future energy demand; and technological uncertainty regarding the availability of emissions-reduction technologies...

NatureDOI:doi:10.1038/nature.2013.12138
References

1. Rogelj, J., McCollum, D. L., Reisinger, A., Meinshausen, M. & Riahi, K. Nature 493, 79–83 (2013).
  2. Hatfield-Dodds, S. Nature 493, 35–36 (2013).

Nature | News

Delaying action on emissions will increase costs and reduce chances of limiting temperature increase.

... results, published today in Nature1, contradict claims that governments should delay action on climate change until scientific certainty further improves. They also imply that speeding up action could lead to significant cost savings.
Joeri Rogelj, a climate-policy analyst at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich, and his colleagues assessed the relative importance of four major sources of uncertainty in limiting the rise in global average temperatures. These were political uncertainty regarding when a coordinated global climate policy might be achieved; scientific uncertainty over how much the Earth will warm in response to emissions; social uncertainty about future energy demand; and technological uncertainty regarding the availability of emissions-reduction technologies...

References

1. Rogelj, J., McCollum, D. L., Reisinger, A., Meinshausen, M. & Riahi, K. Nature 493, 79–83 (2013).

The fact is we don't know, but we know we are making the world hotter. The reality deals with planet sensitivity. How do you know that factor?

The green movement is propaganda from corporations that do not want to change their ways.

Statistically speaking, even if every person in the world went completely 'green', even if we stopped using cars and held in our farts and bought all of the special 'green' products like the fancy lightbulbs and such, it would reduce global warming by a seriously small margin because it is the unregulated smokestacks of factories that are causing the problem, or the fact that the energy that it takes to make a laptop is more energy than it will ever use in it's life. These things are the issue...not us, and sadly, since we have inverted totalitarianism system, these things cannot be addressed.

The green movement is propaganda from corporations that do not want to change their ways.

Statistically speaking, even if every person in the world went completely 'green', even if we stopped using cars and held in our farts and bought all of the special 'green' products like the fancy lightbulbs and such, it would reduce global warming by a seriously small margin because it is the unregulated smokestacks of factories that are causing the problem, or the fact that the energy that it takes to make a laptop is more energy than it will ever use in it's life. These things are the issue...not us, and sadly, since we have inverted totalitarianism system, these things cannot be addressed.

It isn't a green movement and you should subtract jesus from your name.

Have any of you FOOLS studied science? I have.

my name is supposed to be "jesuswasanihilist" but that was too long.

And please elaborate on what is and isn't a green movement in the context of your remark, kthanks.

And please elaborate on what is and isn't a green movement in the context of your remark, kthanks.

You can do what you what, but Jesus is a name I respect. That's my LORD.

Thats not the part I asked you to elaborate on buddy boy.

Thats not the part I asked you to elaborate on buddy boy.

Just an old man wanting to take care of his six kids and grandchildren, along with a planet we have to live on!

How many kids do you have?

How is that disrespectful?

ni·hil·ism (n-lzm, n-)
n.
1. Philosophy
a. An extreme form of skepticism that denies all existence.
b. A doctrine holding that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated.
2. Rejection of all distinctions in moral or religious value and a willingness to repudiate all previous theories of morality or religious belief.
3. The belief that destruction of existing political or social institutions is necessary for future improvement.

ni·hil·ism (n-lzm, n-)
n.
1. Philosophy
b. A doctrine holding that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated.
2. Rejection of all distinctions in moral or religious value and a willingness to repudiate all previous theories of morality or religious belief.
3. The belief that destruction of existing political or social institutions is necessary for future improvement.

If your Spanish, it isn't.

It's a name I revere.

ni·hil·ism (n-lzm, n-)
n.
1. Philosophy

It's a name I revere.

Sure I got that, but you can revere your own beliefs without censoring someone elses

and what if that person posting is spanish?

Besides which skeptism isn't evil. ;)

ni·hil·ism (n-lzm, n-)
n.
1. Philosophy

It's a name I revere.

Sure I got that, but you can revere your own beliefs without censoring someone elses

and what if that person posting is spanish?

Besides which skeptism isn't evil. ;)

Did I tell someone what they had to do or should do?

Yeah, I guess you did tell someone to.

Yeah, I guess you did tell someone to.

You have control of your own soul. I'm a liberal, remember!

Nature | News

References

The biggest factor in climate uncertainty is the sensitivity of our planet to change. We don't know how sensitive our planet is. We can look at the past, but it was a different world. We just don't know what our present world is and how sensitive it is. That's why all calculations are way off.

Nature | News

References

The biggest factor in climate uncertainty is that we have barely scratched the surface of the true energy budget as evidenced by the continued use of trenberth's. We can't even say for sure what the albedo of the planet is. At this point, we really don't have a clue as to not only what drives the climate, but how many factors might drive it under different senarios. It is at present, mostly guesswork and guesswork is by defnintion uncertainty.

Nature | News

References

The biggest factor in climate uncertainty is that we have barely scratched the surface of the true energy budget as evidenced by the continued use of trenberth's. We can't even say for sure what the albedo of the planet is. At this point, we really don't have a clue as to not only what drives the climate, but how many factors might drive it under different senarios. It is at present, mostly guesswork and guesswork is by defnintion uncertainty.

Yet people like you would have us to continue to pour GHGs into the atmosphere without regard to the fact that we do not know the sensitivity of the climate to those inputs. And in spite of the fact that the sensitivity appears to be far greater than previously estimated, current events providing evidence for that statement.

And off in a the wrong direction. Thus far, we have been seriously underestimating that sensitivity.

At this point, we don't have a clue with regard to sensitivity. For a long time, water vapor was thought to be a positive forcing, now we find that it is strongly negative..ditto for clouds...

We don't have a grip on forcings, sensitivity, or the energy flow through the system. Anyone who bleives we do is well and truely hoaxed.

Yet people like you would have us to continue to pour GHGs into the atmosphere without regard to the fact that we do not know the sensitivity of the climate to those inputs. And in spite of the fact that the sensitivity appears to be far greater than previously estimated, current events providing evidence for that statement.

Since there is no greenhouse effect, what difference do you think it could make insofar as the cliamte is concerned?

Forum List

Back