There Is No 'Environmental Science.'

Discussion in 'Environment' started by PoliticalChic, Jan 9, 2013.

1. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,071
    1. The intellectual history of environmentalism reflects an amalgam of congregationalism, pantheism, the religious elements of Native American environmentalism meeting Hegelian philosophy and Rachel Carson. The rising diaspora of activism metastasized throughout the culture, until it was strong enough and pervasive enough to force legislation. The mistake is in believing it is based on science.

2. Karl Popper is generally regarded as one of the greatest philosophers of science of the 20th century [The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy(Summer 2009 Edition) ]; he watched the rise of Hitler, and the Nazis, and analyzed the conditions that allowed fascism to arise. He realized that all the totalitarian philosophies of the 20th century owe their origin to Hegel.

a. Hegel:“All the worth which the human being possesses - all spiritual reality, he possesses only through the State.” Hegel Quotations and Totalitarianism

b. Hegel managed to combine elements of religion with those of science, so that science took on a kind of religious significance.

3. In science, the straight line goes from Hegel to Ernst Haeckel, the man who coined the word ‘ecology.’

a. One spin-off of the Enlightenment was the desire to find new myths that would transcend daily existence and take one to a higher level of purification. Proto-fascist, and founder of ecology, Ernst Haeckel, invested nature-worship with the belief that all matter was alive and possessed mental attributes. In ‘monism,’ he brought together hostility to Christianity and propaganda for Darwinism, a nature cult and theories of hygiene and selective breeding.
    J.W. Burrow, “The Crisis of Reason: European Thought, 1848-1914,” p. 218-19

b. Hegel to Haeckel to Hitler, or Marx and Engels to Soviet science or Nazi science. Both forms are corruptions of science.

4. After Lenin’s death, the effort was to create a proletariat science, based on the view that authority can change nature itself; "The human species, the sluggish Homo sapiens, will once again enter the stage of radical reconstruction and become in his own hands the object of the most complex methods of artificial selection and psychophysical training... Man will make it his goal...to create a higher sociobiological type, a superman, if you will"
    New Soviet man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

a. In fact, the Soviets, under agriculture minister Trofim Lysenko, fervently believed that they with the proper conditions they could change the genetics of crops, the idea known as ‘the inheritance of acquired characteristics.’ The Soviets actually banned the teaching of Mendelian genetics.
    Science and politics

b. All humanities and social sciences were additionally tested for strict accordance with historical materialism. These tests were alleged to serve as a cover for political suppression, to terrorize scientists who engaged in research labeled as "idealistic" or "bourgeois.”
    Suppressed research in the Soviet Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. Along came radical environmentalism’s Lady GaGa, Rachel Carson. Romanticizing nature, targeting humankind as the grand evil, in a book filled with anecdotal ‘science,’ she stole the hearts of Progressives.

a. Carson’s book was dismissed in ‘Science’ magazine as a “prosecuting attorney’s impassioned plea for action,” not a book based on scientific data. I.L.Baldwin, “Chemicals and Pests,” Science, September 28, 1962, p.1042-1043.

Progressive science? Environmentalism?
    Corruptions of science propped up with taxpayer funds and 'targeted' academic grants.

And swallowed by the willfully ignorant.

Raise your paw if you're one.....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,448
    we scoffed at and scorned the soviets during the cold war. how did we become them?

3. SSDD

SSDD Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,544
    Failure to learn from history.

4. Dubya

Dubya Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Back in the old days, the subject was totally covered in Geology. There was no Earth Science to be taught at a univeristy. I had to take a lot of elective courses. to get through college as a Chemistry major. When stationed in Camp Lejeune, I took courses in Cultural Archaeology and Physical Anthropology. I took every course you can imagine, when it comes to science or anything related to it.

I admit I was chasing the money, because I grew up poor. Now, look at the reality back then. I grew up during a time when the minimum wage was the highest in history. I look back and think I'm fortunate, because these people who live in America today don't have that opportunity.

5. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,186
    Without ecology you'd still be eating the shit and drinking the piss of the people upstream.

6. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,071

Postmodernism: there is no truth, and everything, including facts and morality, is relative.
    Thus subverting science to politics.

Of course, that could hardly have been done without the Left's battering of religion and eviscerating education.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  7. daveman

daveman Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    Progressives want the US to "progress" to the condition of the USSR circa 1958 -- minus the strong military, of course.

8. daveman

daveman Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    "Ecology" believes human beings are not a natural part of the environment, and should be removed for the sake of the environment.

9. OohPooPahDoo

OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,320

1. You're a moron

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Mr. Peepers

Mr. Peepers Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +394

Really? Because I volunteered to help scientists in Ecuador's Andean cloud forest study the effects of climate change on this very precarious ecosystem in 2009. We used rain guages, camera traps to study the omnivores, aerial photography + topographical maps of trees (native and new growth - cattle ranching had destroyed half of one of the mountains) dissection of bromeliads, temperature data, grid counts of flora, counts of birds seen and heard. It was all quite scientific. The same expedition is now on its 6th year of collecting data. You are a fucking moron. Please get a job and stop posting on this board all damn day.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013