Big City Snow NYC

Trajan

conscientia mille testes
Jun 17, 2010
The Bay Area Soviet
when I was growing up in NYC, Brooklyn ( summers) and Queens ( school year) during the 60's we had one snowstorm in particular I remember that at least to me at the time appeared huge. had to be 15 inches at least. yet I can remember the plows and streets being clean enough to dig out and rive in in a day or 2.....from what i have read so far, they appear to be having a very hard tome dealing with the latest storm. some articles,one interesting the stats it presents the other? a list of awful s...

Snowblind in Gotham
The city government that does everything—except timely snow removal.

New York City has an annual budget of about $63 billion, roughly 359,000 public employees and the highest income tax rates in America, so you'd think it would be able to clear its streets in a timely fashion after a snowfall. Apparently not.

snip-

They should look in the mirror of their own priorities. According to figures compiled by the Citizens Budget Commission, in fiscal 2011 the city has 9,419 sanitation workers, who also do snow removal. That's down about 500 employees from three years earlier, though spending is up about $200 million.

Meanwhile, the city has no fewer than 14,530 workers spending $8.4 billion on social services, up about $1 billion and 500 employees from 2007. There are 6,100 public employees working on environmental protection and another 12,100 at the housing authority, plus 6,400 devoted to "health and mental hygiene." Oh, and the city's pension contributions are climbing to $7.49 billion in fiscal 2011, from $4.7 billion in 2007.

snip
One lesson is that a government that tries to do too much ends up not being able to do the basic things its citizens expect, such as clearing streets of snow.

more at-
Review & Outlook: Snowblind in Gotham - WSJ.com

Death of newborn baby among several blizzard tragedies as city is accused of 'dropping the ball'

A blizzard baby delivered inside the lobby of a snowbound Brooklyn building died after an emergency call of a woman in labor brought no help for nine excruciating hours.

The baby's mother, a 22-year-old college senior, was recovering Tuesday night at Interfaith Medical Center, where her newborn was pronounced dead at 6:34 p.m. on Monday. That was 10 hours after the first 911 call from the bloody vestibule on Brooklyn Ave. in Crown Heights.

"No one could get to her. Crown Heights was not plowed, and no medical aid came for hours," said the student's mother.

By the time a horde of firefighters and cops finally trooped to her aid through snow-covered blocks, the baby was unconscious and unresponsive, sources said.

Details of the tragedy emerged as the abominable snowstorm continued to wreak havoc across a city still digging out from the wintry blast. Some of the other blizzard horrors include:

- In Queens, a woman tried to reach 911 operators for 20 minutes Monday and then waited for three hours for first responders to arrive. By then, her mom had died, state Sen. Jose Peralta's office said.

-Laura Freeman, 41, said her mother, Yvonne Freeman, 75, woke her at 8 a.m. because she was having trouble breathing. When the daughter couldn't get through to 911, she enlisted neighbors and relatives, who also began calling.

One of the callers reached an operator at 8:20 a.m., but responders stymied by snow-clogged streets didn't reach the Corona home until 11:05 a.m., said Peralta, who wants the death investigated.

"The EMS workers walked down the block trudging through snow," Freeman said. "They tried. I could tell by the look on their faces. I really would just like [Mayor] Bloomberg to admit that there were casualties."

- A woman in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, was forced to spend the night with her dead father after the medical examiner's office took more than 24 hours to claim his body. Ismael Vazquez died at 10:31 a.m. on Monday, and the 82-year-old man's body remained in his bed until 1 p.m. yesterday. His daughter kept vigil in the living room.

-"This is New York City, and I'm a New Yorker, and this is not the first storm we've ever had," said Florence Simancas, 51, holding back tears. "Somebody dropped the ball ... big-time."

- A Brooklyn woman was left sobbing at a Bay Ridge bus stop yesterday when the driver said there was no way to get her to a doctor's appointment in Bensonhurst.

- A 76-year-old Bay Ridge heart attack victim nearly died when an FDNY ambulance became stuck in a snowbank, but he was rescued by a gang of good Samaritans lugging him through the unplowed streets on a sled fashioned from a gurney.

much more at-

Read more: Death of newborn baby among several blizzard tragedies as city is accused of 'dropping the ball'

abandoned snow plow- Brooklyn

Attachments

• $abanodned snow plow.jpg
    $abanodned snow plow.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 84
The Marxist Employee Unions are pulling down every city and state in this country.

Look at Detroit, that's the future of every Big Union run city and state in this nation

I predict it all blows up sometimes next year before the end of the first quarter

Bloomberg has yet to do a snow removal as competently as Giuliani. His arrogance does not help the situation. Sanitation really fucked this one up big time. Bloomberg is in his corner, the Union in it's corner, and we are fucked. This is the worst response I have seen.

Bloomberg has yet to do a snow removal as competently as Giuliani. His arrogance does not help the situation. Sanitation really fucked this one up big time. Bloomberg is in his corner, the Union in it's corner, and we are fucked. This is the worst response I have seen.

hang in there brother. I can close my eyes and see your street, well no, all I see is snow, but you know what I mean....;)

all the other snow removals have been fine. but giuliani was more of an outerboroughs guy than bloomberg.

i think it's more that they've had budget cuts and they prioritized.

we apparently weren't the priority.

all the other snow removals have been fine. but giuliani was more of an outerboroughs guy than bloomberg.

i think it's more that they've had budget cuts and they prioritized.

we apparently weren't the priority.

They weren't fine, they were barely adequate. There is Federal Funding that goes directly to snow removal Jillian, at least in part. I'm close enough to the Hospital here to have gotten superior snow removal through the years. Salt trucks, big snow plows, even in the worst storms, and I've seen them much worse than this, worst case 48 hours after the snow starts falling, usually at least one salt truck ahead or during the fall. By now, we would normally have had 4 to 8 passes. This round with the snow hitting Saturday, we had our first and only plow, 2:30 AM Wednesday morning. No garbage pick up Fri or Tues. I'm sure it will be a more than few day's before that is cleared up. No salt, causes black Ice, causes the Ice Packs that are getting cars stuck and accidents all over the city, as people dig out. Gross negligence. 3 Stooges stupid. Did Sanitation do this to make Bloomberg look bad? Nothing would surprise me.

As a resident of one of the outer boros, the one indicator to me that the response to this storm was screwed up was the lack of plowing of bus routes.

A bus turns directly in front of my house. Normally the route is plowed instantly and continously, letting the busses get through. This time it took until wednesday for the road to be completely clear.

Looking at it from a technical standpoint, the mistakes, in order of magnitude are as follows:

1. Not declaring a snow emergency. Doing this forces cars off the main roads, allowing continous plowing. Since they fell behind on the main drags, it forced smaller streets to wait longer

2. Sanitation not cancelling days off/leave saturday/early sunday. They didnt think the storm was going to be that bad until saturday afternoon, and didnt want to cancel leaves on christmas

3. MTA not going into storm mode until Sunday. They kept sending busses out without chains, and didnt enact thier usual train line precuations until during the storm

Next you have the mitigating circumstances.

1. Storm was upgraded rapidly in forcasts. It wasnt called a potential blizzard until less than 24hrs before the snow hit

2. Storm hit day after Chirstmas. lots of key people on vacation/away

3. People tried to drive in this crap. I consider myself a good bad weather driver, but I own a Nissan Sentra. Therefore after I made sure my grandparents had enough supplies my car was safely parked and my ass inside by 3 PM sunday. I also realized monday the streets were shot, and worked from home monday. Now most people cannot do that, but all the extra stuck cars out there didnt help.

Finally you have the conspiracy/political/theoretical reasons. Some may have a ring of truth.

1. The city will ALWAYS favor manahttan over the outer boros. It is a fact of life.

2. The rumors of a slowdown are gaining ground. What I think happened was that the sanitation guys figured a little slowdown would help thier cause. I dont think they realized all the other issues would make a little slowdown appear alot worse. Now that they got called on it they are denying everything.

Feel free to add any other items to the catagories. The general conclusion I get is that it was a combination of bad timing, and poor management decisons, with a pinch of stupid people and a dash of labor strife.

:lol:

Look at the rightwingloons complaining that the government isn't rescuing them fast enough.

I'd respond in kind, but I don't want to take advantage of your handicap. :lol:

These garbage men really stink.

Selfish Sanitation Department bosses from the snow-slammed outer boroughs ordered their drivers to snarl the blizzard cleanup to protest budget cuts -- a disastrous move that turned streets into a minefield for emergency-services vehicles, The Post has learned.

Miles of roads stretching from as north as Whitestone, Queens, to the south shore of Staten Island still remained treacherously unplowed last night because of the shameless job action, several sources and a city lawmaker said, which was over a raft of demotions, attrition and budget cuts.

Read more: Sanitation workers selfishly slowed down the cleanup - NYPOST.com

Look at the rightwingloons complaining that the government isn't rescuing them fast enough.

All I am asking for is that government do the job it was paid to do. Most people on my block did thier requirement, which is clear the sidewalks, by the end of the day monday.

My car was pretty much dug out, and waiting on a plow to clear the road enough to drive by 3 PM monday. One of my neighbors has a truck with a plow, and when able and people are at work, tries to plow out some parking spots to the curb.

My concern is that the DoS did not do the job I paid them to do, which is plow my freaking street, in a timely manner. The MTA did not do what its customers paid for, which is provide transit reasonably soon after a snowstorm. These are local issues, paid for by local taxes.

As a conservative, my main concern is that government do the basics, police protection, road maintenance (including snow removal), fire protection; and not worry about my salt intake, or if I am drinking too many caffine free pepsi's.

Selfish Sanitation Department bosses from the snow-slammed outer boroughs ordered their drivers to snarl the blizzard cleanup to protest budget cuts -- a disastrous move that turned streets into a minefield for emergency-services vehicles, The Post has learned.

Miles of roads stretching from as north as Whitestone, Queens, to the south shore of Staten Island still remained treacherously unplowed last night because of the shameless job action, several sources and a city lawmaker said, which was over a raft of demotions, attrition and budget cuts.

The evidence for this is still kind of thin, but I am not discounting this 100% right away. As in my post above, I think some of them planned a little slowdown, but didnt realize the rest of the city's response was so screwed, which amplifed the effects of thier little shennanigans.

Should be some interesting hearings next week.

\

is that impossible? no.

bit i think i'll wait until that's substantiated by something other than nameless 'sources' as 'quoted' in rupert murdoch's NY Post.

when I was growing up in NYC, Brooklyn ( summers) and Queens ( school year) during the 60's we had one snowstorm in particular I remember that at least to me at the time appeared huge. had to be 15 inches at least. yet I can remember the plows and streets being clean enough to dig out and rive in in a day or 2.....from what i have read so far, they appear to be having a very hard tome dealing with the latest storm. some articles,one interesting the stats it presents the other? a list of awful s...

Snowblind in Gotham
The city government that does everything—except timely snow removal.

New York City has an annual budget of about $63 billion, roughly 359,000 public employees and the highest income tax rates in America, so you'd think it would be able to clear its streets in a timely fashion after a snowfall. Apparently not.

snip-

They should look in the mirror of their own priorities. According to figures compiled by the Citizens Budget Commission, in fiscal 2011 the city has 9,419 sanitation workers, who also do snow removal. That's down about 500 employees from three years earlier, though spending is up about $200 million.

Meanwhile, the city has no fewer than 14,530 workers spending $8.4 billion on social services, up about $1 billion and 500 employees from 2007. There are 6,100 public employees working on environmental protection and another 12,100 at the housing authority, plus 6,400 devoted to "health and mental hygiene." Oh, and the city's pension contributions are climbing to $7.49 billion in fiscal 2011, from $4.7 billion in 2007.

snip
One lesson is that a government that tries to do too much ends up not being able to do the basic things its citizens expect, such as clearing streets of snow.

more at-
Review & Outlook: Snowblind in Gotham - WSJ.com

Death of newborn baby among several blizzard tragedies as city is accused of 'dropping the ball'

A blizzard baby delivered inside the lobby of a snowbound Brooklyn building died after an emergency call of a woman in labor brought no help for nine excruciating hours.

The baby's mother, a 22-year-old college senior, was recovering Tuesday night at Interfaith Medical Center, where her newborn was pronounced dead at 6:34 p.m. on Monday. That was 10 hours after the first 911 call from the bloody vestibule on Brooklyn Ave. in Crown Heights.

"No one could get to her. Crown Heights was not plowed, and no medical aid came for hours," said the student's mother.

By the time a horde of firefighters and cops finally trooped to her aid through snow-covered blocks, the baby was unconscious and unresponsive, sources said.

Details of the tragedy emerged as the abominable snowstorm continued to wreak havoc across a city still digging out from the wintry blast. Some of the other blizzard horrors include:

- In Queens, a woman tried to reach 911 operators for 20 minutes Monday and then waited for three hours for first responders to arrive. By then, her mom had died, state Sen. Jose Peralta's office said.

-Laura Freeman, 41, said her mother, Yvonne Freeman, 75, woke her at 8 a.m. because she was having trouble breathing. When the daughter couldn't get through to 911, she enlisted neighbors and relatives, who also began calling.

One of the callers reached an operator at 8:20 a.m., but responders stymied by snow-clogged streets didn't reach the Corona home until 11:05 a.m., said Peralta, who wants the death investigated.

"The EMS workers walked down the block trudging through snow," Freeman said. "They tried. I could tell by the look on their faces. I really would just like [Mayor] Bloomberg to admit that there were casualties."

- A woman in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, was forced to spend the night with her dead father after the medical examiner's office took more than 24 hours to claim his body. Ismael Vazquez died at 10:31 a.m. on Monday, and the 82-year-old man's body remained in his bed until 1 p.m. yesterday. His daughter kept vigil in the living room.

-"This is New York City, and I'm a New Yorker, and this is not the first storm we've ever had," said Florence Simancas, 51, holding back tears. "Somebody dropped the ball ... big-time."

- A Brooklyn woman was left sobbing at a Bay Ridge bus stop yesterday when the driver said there was no way to get her to a doctor's appointment in Bensonhurst.

- A 76-year-old Bay Ridge heart attack victim nearly died when an FDNY ambulance became stuck in a snowbank, but he was rescued by a gang of good Samaritans lugging him through the unplowed streets on a sled fashioned from a gurney.

much more at-

Read more: Death of newborn baby among several blizzard tragedies as city is accused of 'dropping the ball'

abandoned snow plow- Brooklyn

you should spend a winter in the Yukon trapping having to walk your trail every day so you don't get snowed in.

Has snow removal money been scaled back because of all the mild winters we've had due to non-existent Global Warming?!?! :shock:

Forum List

Back