Big City Snow NYC

Bloomberg has yet to do a snow removal as competently as Giuliani. His arrogance does not help the situation. Sanitation really fucked this one up big time. Bloomberg is in his corner, the Union in it's corner, and we are fucked. This is the worst response I have seen.

all the other snow removals have been fine. but giuliani was more of an outerboroughs guy than bloomberg.

i think it's more that they've had budget cuts and they prioritized.

we apparently weren't the priority.

They weren't fine, they were barely adequate. There is Federal Funding that goes directly to snow removal Jillian, at least in part. I'm close enough to the Hospital here to have gotten superior snow removal through the years. Salt trucks, big snow plows, even in the worst storms, and I've seen them much worse than this, worst case 48 hours after the snow starts falling, usually at least one salt truck ahead or during the fall. By now, we would normally have had 4 to 8 passes. This round with the snow hitting Saturday, we had our first and only plow, 2:30 AM Wednesday morning. No garbage pick up Fri or Tues. I'm sure it will be a more than few day's before that is cleared up. No salt, causes black Ice, causes the Ice Packs that are getting cars stuck and accidents all over the city, as people dig out. Gross negligence. 3 Stooges stupid. Did Sanitation do this to make Bloomberg look bad? Nothing would surprise me.

They weren't fine. The Union Workers purposely slowed down and did not fully complete snow removal.

Sources said budget cuts were also at the heart of poor planning for the blizzard last weekend. The city broke from its usual routine and did not call in a full complement on Saturday for snow preparations in order to save on added overtime that would have had to be paid for them to work on Christmas Day.

The result was an absolute collapse of New York's once-vaunted systems of clearing the streets and keeping mass transit moving under the weight of 20 inches of snow.

The Sanitation Department last night denied there was a concerted effort to slow snow removal.

"There are no organized or wildcat actions being taken by the sanitation workers or the supervisors," said spokesman Matthew Lipani.

Joseph Mannion, president of the union that represents agency supervisors, said talk of a slowdown "is hogwash." But he admitted there is "resentment out there" toward Mayor Bloomberg and his administration because of budget cuts.

His counterpart at the rank-and-file's union, Harry Nespoli, has also denied there is a job action, though he admitted his guys are working lucrative 14-hour shifts.

Bloomberg spokesman Stu Loeser said only: "We would hope this is not the case."

But multiple Sanitation Department sources told The Post yesterday that angry plow drivers have only been clearing streets assigned to them even if that means they have to drive through snowed-in roads with their plows raised.

And they are keeping their plow blades unusually high, making it necessary for them to have to run extra passes, adding time and extra pay.

One mechanic said some drivers are purposely smashing plows and salt spreaders to further stall the cleanup effort. ...

Sanitation workers selfishly slowed down the cleanup - NYPOST.com

It's the New Math.

It's also how Obama is trying to game the Fed Budget: Grossly inflate government spending, and then trim back an eensy bit in order to claim that spending is being reduced.

The Marxist Employee Unions are pulling down every city and state in this country.

Look at Detroit, that's the future of every Big Union run city and state in this nation

I predict it all blows up sometimes next year before the end of the first quarter
and the snow is all part of a larger communist plot. Hey Frank! Joe McCarthy called and wants you to bring his paranoia back.

LOL.

Okay..now some real facts. Sanitation, through attrition and layoffs, lost 700 workers, bringing the work force down to around 7000. Thats about the same as it was in 1997. Add in that there were demotions and a pay freeze. The city sent foremen back out on trucks. Not because they did anything wrong..but because the city had to make up for the shortfall. Now you've got a demoralized and inadequate workforce handling one of the worst snowstorms in the city's history. Couple that with Morons that took their cars out on Sunday night, got stuck and left them in the middle of the streets.

Bloomberg, the rich CEO was elected to introduce austerity measures to the city and basically keep taxes low. Low taxes, cutting services..equal what we got.

Last edited:
IOW, the Sanitation Workers failed to get the basic job done which justifies their high level of resources in the first place.

Thank you for sharing.

New York City has been completely built up for decades. How many more miles of streets are there to plow now vs 1997?

Please tell me you aren't in charge of anything important.

This is probably the most ignorant post in the thread.

LOL.

Okay..now some real facts. Sanitation, through attrition and layoffs, lost 700 workers, bringing the work force down to around 7000. Thats about the same as it was in 1997. Add in that there were demotions and a pay freeze. The city sent foremen back out on trucks. Not because they did anything wrong..but because the city had to make up for the shortfall. Now you've got a demoralized and inadequate workforce handling one of the worst snowstorms in the city's history. Couple that with Morons that took their cars out on Sunday night, got stuck and left them in the middle of the streets.

Bloomberg, the rich CEO was elected to introduce austerity measures to the city and basically keep taxes low. Low taxes, cutting services..equal what we got.

This snowstorm was MAYBE 6th or 7th on the city's "worst of all time" list. Also during any snowstorm in the past 50 years the removal has always been an "all hands on deck" thing with supervisors pitching in to drive the trucks.

Im waiting on the hearings to see exactly what happened. I have lived in NYC for all 35 of my years, and this is one of the slowest and disconnected responses to a snowstorm I have seen.

LOL.

This snowstorm was MAYBE 6th or 7th on the city's "worst of all time" list. Also during any snowstorm in the past 50 years the removal has always been an "all hands on deck" thing with supervisors pitching in to drive the trucks.

Im waiting on the hearings to see exactly what happened. I have lived in NYC for all 35 of my years, and this is one of the slowest and disconnected responses to a snowstorm I have seen.

I've been in the city for 47 of my 50 years and this definitely is not the worst of the Santitation Departments performances.

And again..cut services and what do you expect?

It always amazes me conservatives are the very first to complain when it was their plan that screwed things up.

The city's been closing firehouses, hospitals, schools, community centers, cutting hours in the libraries, closing subway booths, and cutting manpower.

Well..this is part of the fruits of those efforts.

New York City has been completely built up for decades. How many more miles of streets are there to plow now vs 1997?

Please tell me you aren't in charge of anything important.

This is probably the most ignorant post in the thread.

How are the people who are in charge of anything important in NYC doing?

You've made the ridiculous claim that the workforce size from 1997 is just fine. As if the city hasn't changed from that time. I guess you've missed the multiple construction projects like the 2nd ave subway, 9/11 or a host of other things that might add complexity to the role of the Sanitation Department.

But go on. Bray about how we lost 4 congressional seats or something.

That's helpful.

spoken like someone who's never been to nyc or never left manhattan if he was.

there are people in ny who live miles from the nearest subway, boi troll.

and in case its escaped your notice, there were no buses.

LOL.

I've been in the city for 47 of my 50 years and this definitely is not the worst of the Santitation Departments performances.

It always amazes me conservatives are the very first to complain when it was their plan that screwed things up.

The city's been closing firehouses, hospitals, schools, community centers, cutting hours in the libraries, closing subway booths, and cutting manpower.

what were the services like on this level snow etc. back in the 60-70-80's? this bad?

I am not there but I can say from here looking at the reports, this seems pretty inept.

what were the services like on this level snow etc. back in the 60-70-80's? this bad?

I am not there but I can say from here looking at the reports, this seems pretty inept.

70's - 84ish city services were pretty bad. Remember the whole "Drop Dead" thing? It got sorted out..but took a long time.

New Topics

Forum List

Back