Big changes in store for MLB this season.

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
OK, these are the changes taking place this season:

1) Pitch clock

2) No defensive shift.
a) All 4 infielders must have feet within the outer boundary of the infield
b) 2 infielders must be positioned on either side of second base.
c) In a given inning, infielders may not switch sides, in order to gain an advantage

3) Pitchers have a defined number of disengagements, to step off the mound and pause the game or throw to first.

Good changes, much needed.

OK, these are the changes taking place this season:

1) Pitch clock

2) No defensive shift.
a) All 4 infielders must have feet within the outer boundary of the infield
b) 2 infielders must be positioned on either side of second base.
c) In a given inning, infielders may not switch sides, in order to gain an advantage

3) Pitchers have a defined number of disengagements, to step off the mound and pause the game or throw to first.

Good changes, much needed.

Like them all but number 3. With a runner stretching his lead off of first, it is not fair to limit throws.

Also this year, they made the bases bigger and added the automatic man on second in extra innings.
Neither of which I like

While I have never complained about the length of MLB games, in addition to the changes mentioned above, I think batters should be prohibited from stepping out of the box between pitches. Stand in and hit, God damn it.

It will be an adjustment but the shifts were getting pretty silly. I'm sure those hitting who weren't great at spraying across the field now feel empowered.

Also this year, they made the bases bigger and added the automatic man on second in extra innings.
Yea, I heard that about bigger bases. By all accounts, everyone hates these changes who is actually playing. When refs tell pitchers to speed it up, they very well may piss off his manager, who comes out to complain and……. the game is longer.

I don't like any of them. I'm not a fan of teams using the shift but the solution is to hit to the opposite field.
If ya hit the ball to the same side all the time thats your problem, just like it would be for a golfer whose ball always went the same direction

Another thing is Ted Williams hit .406 when there was no shift. DiMaggio hit safely in 63 games when there was no shift. Just imagine how baseball gets more interesting if someone challenges those records.

Another thing is Ted Williams hit .406 when there was no shift. DiMaggio hit safely in 63 games when there was no shift. Just imagine how baseball gets more interesting if someone challenges those records.
They used to shift against Ted Williams

Do you ban 6 DB in football? BanThe prevent? Ban the blitz? I dont care if a team puts 6 OF down the RF line. Not my pblm. Hit to LF. I dont care if you use up 6 pitchers on the first hitter. You got 7 left. Your own stupidity is not my PBLM.

is Strategy no longer allowed?

i agree with guy above, get in box & hit. Its’ become Golf with the 2 min routine on every single pitch…adjust gloves…look aroun……look down…..whatever.

Last edited:
Do you ban 6 DB in football? BanThe prevent? Ban the blitz? I dont care if a team puts 6 OF down the RF line. Not my pblm. Hit to LF. I dont care if you use up 6 pitchers on the first hitter. You got 7 left. Your own stupidity is not my PBLM.

i agree with guy above, get in box & hit. Its’ become Golf with the 2 min routine on every single pitch…adjust gloves…look aroun……look down…..whatever.

I agree, if you can’t hit against the shift, you should be replaced by someone who can

If you can’t hit a curve, they don’t make rules banning the curve

I don't know much about the shift back in those days, but I didn't think it was used.

Learn to hit to the opposite field and you could bat 1.000

Forum List

Back