Big Brother to create "reasonable profits board"

Zander

Platinum Member
Sep 10, 2009
Los Angeles CA
Straight out of a dystopian nightmare....you can't make this shit up.

Dems propose 'Reasonable Profits Board' to regulate oil company profits - The Hill's Floor Action

Dems propose 'Reasonable Profits Board' to regulate oil company profits

Six House Democrats, led by Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio), want to set up a "Reasonable Profits Board" to control gas profits.

The Democrats, worried about higher gas prices, want to set up a board that would apply a "windfall profit tax" as high as 100 percent on the sale of oil and gas, according to their legislation. The bill provides no specific guidance for how the board would determine what constitutes a reasonable profit.

The Gas Price Spike Act, H.R. 3784, would apply a windfall tax on the sale of oil and gas that ranges from 50 percent to 100 percent on all surplus earnings exceeding "a reasonable profit." It would set up a Reasonable Profits Board made up of three presidential nominees that will serve three-year terms. Unlike other bills setting up advisory boards, the Reasonable Profits Board would not be made up of any nominees from Congress.

The bill would also seem to exclude industry representatives from the board, as it says members "shall have no financial interests in any of the businesses for which reasonable profits are determined by the Board."

According to the bill, a windfall tax of 50 percent would be applied when the sale of oil or gas leads to a profit of between 100 percent and 102 percent of a reasonable profit. The windfall tax would jump to 75 percent when the profit is between 102 and 105 percent of a reasonable profit, and above that, the windfall tax would be 100 percent. The bill also specifies that the oil-and-gas companies, as the seller, would have to pay this tax.

Sickening.....

Sickening and pathetic. Further proof that Democrats have damaged brains.

Carter's "Windfall Profits Tax" was an utter and complete failure. The government itself ultimately admitted to that fact.

And when the WPT formula is disected, it's revealed that it wasn't actually a tax and it wasn't based on profits.

Isn't that just a cute little name they gave for stealing other people monies?

Reasonable profits board.

Doesn't sound like a very good plan to me.

I do believe that we already have laws against GOUGING in times of national emergency, though.

Whats in the water there in the beltway? Hard to believe they would shoot themselves in the foot after the fallout from the century legislation and a weak executive branch director. I reckon they just got tired of power and the party leaders have decided to commit political suicide.

Sounds like a tempest-in-a-teapot, since it won't pass. How is it even possible, when all the oil companies have to do is bribe 51% of Congress to get their way? It's a drop in the bucket compared to their bank balances.

Dems propose 'Reasonable Profits Board' to regulate oil company profits - The Hill's Floor Action

Six House Democrats, led by Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio), want to set up a "Reasonable Profits Board" to control gas profits.

The Democrats, worried about higher gas prices, want to set up a board that would apply a "windfall profit tax" as high as 100 percent on the sale of oil and gas, according to their legislation. The bill provides no specific guidance for how the board would determine what constitutes a reasonable profit.

The Gas Price Spike Act, H.R. 3784, would apply a windfall tax on the sale of oil and gas that ranges from 50 percent to 100 percent on all surplus earnings exceeding "a reasonable profit." It would set up a Reasonable Profits Board made up of three presidential nominees that will serve three-year terms. Unlike other bills setting up advisory boards, the Reasonable Profits Board would not be made up of any nominees from Congress.

The bill would also seem to exclude industry representatives from the board, as it says members "shall have no financial interests in any of the businesses for which reasonable profits are determined by the Board."

According to the bill, a windfall tax of 50 percent would be applied when the sale of oil or gas leads to a profit of between 100 percent and 102 percent of a reasonable profit. The windfall tax would jump to 75 percent when the profit is between 102 and 105 percent of a reasonable profit, and above that, the windfall tax would be 100 percent. The bill also specifies that the oil-and-gas companies, as the seller, would have to pay this tax.

Sickening.....

leninsmile4pv.jpg

I'm surprised there are only 10 responses in 12 hours.
It's almost unbelieveable. But then, it comes from Democrats.

This will obviously go nowhere, but just proposing such garbage is scary- not for fear that it might come to pass but that anyone could think up something so insane.

Maybe even democrats realize how insane this whole idea is.

If there are no profits, there is no product. Simple.

Sickening.....

Yes

The extent that you guys get all butthurt about laws that will never see the light of day is amusing to me.

This isn't about making a law, it's rhetoric.

This is the same as Rangel "trying" to re-instate the draft.

No. It's a cute little name for facilitating equitable distribution of the Nation's wealth resources. It's a way to impose controls on some of the greedy bastards who have been sabotaging American society for the past three decades.

If I had my way every penny in accumulated personal assets would be confiscated by IRS and a lot of Wall Street sharks and bankers would be on their way to Leavenworth.

Notice the bill's sponsors.

This is the far-right equivalent of the laws that are proposed in Congress each year like completely banning abortion - nothing more than rhetoric.

No. It's a cute little name for facilitating equitable distribution of the Nation's wealth resources. It's a way to impose controls on some of the greedy bastards who have been sabotaging American society for the past three decades.

If I had my way every penny in accumulated personal assets would be confiscated by IRS and a lot of Wall Street sharks and bankers would be on their way to Leavenworth.

"Equitable distribution of the Nation's wealth"?

Then why is the petroleum industry singled out?
Profit margins for this industry are far down the list of all industries/services.

"Three decades of sabotage"? :lol:

Let's see... that would include 1999, when oil was $10/barrel and gasoline was $1/gallon.

You're funny.

Have I ever told you Communists are stupid? True story.

"Equitable distribution of the Nation's wealth"?

Then why is the petroleum industry singled out?
Profit margins for this industry are far down the list of all industries/services.

"Three decades of sabotage"? :lol:

Let's see... that would include 1999, when oil was $10/barrel and gasoline was $1/gallon.

You're funny.

Wonder if it will be OK to start taking Microsofts money or maybe GE's money..... better yet how about Apple Computer's money.

Talk about insane profits :eek:

(Im not for that, but just asking the question)

Forum List

Back