Big Brother Fines Utah HS for selling soda

What is a real laffer is that the soda machines are locked up at lunch time. Kids get a soda before lunch time and drink it at lunch. And a lot of them go off campus for a big mac, fries and a large coke.

Do you have evidence to back up that statement? Where this has been studied -- the evidence says othewise.

Typically, while school dietitians want children to eat healthier food, they are convinced such efforts will be futile, and if students cannot get their fast food in the cafeteria they will buy it off campus. This does not appear to have been a problem in Appleton, where the food is not only natural, it is prepared with care; Natural Ovens made sure of this by hiring and training the cooks for the school.

This does not appear to have been a problem in Appleton, I suggest that anecdotal evidence from ONE school does not convince me it is otherwise.

I wiil present my evidence from a personal observation. Many schools only allow Seniors to go off campus, and I have seen them go through the drive thru and pick up 5 or 6 orders for themselves and other students that are waiting for their burger and fries back at school.

Huh? You're trailing HS children from their HS to wherever it is they go at lunch then follow them back to their HS? Yikes! Has your local police department been notified or is your stalking under the radar?

Is this your personal Reaganesque version of the "I knew a guy..." story.

The reporter only named one school but-----but didn't name any studies to refute what s/he said was happening with school lunches in Appleton, WI. Now we have to decide, do we believe the reporter or an admitted HS student stalker who thinks his/her personal story holds any water.

Ruby Ridge for that matter...

Moral:

Don't be a dumbass and think that you are going to hold off the FBI.

I love that story!

Never mind it was anabuse of Federal power...but then YOU love to be abused don't you boy?

This is America, chump. When the people who we choose to be our law enforcement, in any of it's alphabet soup forms, comes to your home and says "we have a warrant for your arrest ", come out peacefully and go through the legal system. Don't like it? GTFO and go be Jim Jones, in Central America. You won't be missed.

Anyone foolish enough to risk their family rather than defend themselves in public court is either mentally deficient or evil.

That goes for Randy Weaver. That goes for David Koresh.

Your side is the side that has to explain how moving poor nutritional choices to another hallway solves anything, I'm advocating for raising IQ's, better grades, less disciplinary problems, lower drop out rates, less drug use et al by removing poor nutrition choices from the schools. The proof is in the puddin', where poor nutrition choices are removed from the schools students do better.

Uh no, I'm on the side that says a school being fined tens of thousands of dollars for a vending machine in the wrong hallway is madness.

So you either agree with me that it's crazy or you disagree and think that it's justice being served. So you can either state your position on the issue or go out in left field and deflect with some link that had nothing to do with this topic.

I find physical fitness and health to be extremely important, I've already eaten 2 healthy meals today and will be doing P90X in a couple hours (all without gov't forcing me to, believe that?!?!?!?!). I think it's embarassing how little people care about their health in this country, but almighty gov't isn't going to all of a sudden change that by raping schools of their funding.

Good on you for being physically fit and making good food choices but-----but it's not all about you.

You must have missed it, my position is perfectly clear "I'm advocating for raising IQ's, better grades, less disciplinary problems, lower drop out rates, less drug use et al by removing poor nutrition choices from the schools. The proof is in the puddin', where poor nutrition choices are removed from the schools students do better."

What part of that do you disagree with?

I guess I missed it again, where in there did you state an opinion on whether it's good or bad that a school received a fine for having a vending machine in the wrong hallway?

See this is the problem you are such a retard that you think supporting govt policies that feed people make them healthier and make them smarter means support the government kicking down your door and blowing your head to bits for no reason.

Jamie Oliver's school dinners shown to have improved academic results | Education | The Guardian
^In Greenwich schools switched to a healthier menu and as a result absences were reduced by 15%.
^Also test scores such as those in English and science increased by around 5%

The Answer Sheet - School junk food ban works, study finds
^Schools that banned "junk food" saw an 18% decline in student obesity.

Daily Kos: NYC schools feed students good food, test scores rise 16%
^New York City implemented a school lunch/breakfast/snack policy that focused on healthy food and eliminated unhealthy food choices, afterwards test scores increased by 16%

Why do you oppose policies that make children smarter and healthier?

Why are you so desperate to deflect?

The issue is a school being fined for having a vending machine in the wrong hallway.

Please, provide me a down the middle unbiased source like Daily Kos that shows me how moving the vending machine to another hallway will make the children smarter.

Ready.................set...........................GO!

Yes you ignoring reality and supporting policies that make children stupider and less healthier is me deflecting

Why are you big gov't lovers so scared to state your position?

Is it a good or bad thing that a school gets tens of thousands of dollars taken away for having a vending machine in the wrong hallway?

Why are you so desperate to deflect?

The issue is a school being fined for having a vending machine in the wrong hallway.

Please, provide me a down the middle unbiased source like Daily Kos that shows me how moving the vending machine to another hallway will make the children smarter.

Ready.................set...........................GO!

Yes you ignoring reality and supporting policies that make children stupider and less healthier is me deflecting

Is it a good or bad thing that a school gets tens of thousands of dollars taken away for having a vending machine in the wrong hallway?

Who in the fuck loves the fact that government is forced to do what the private sector fails at? Are you really this stupid?

If I'm going to have to subsidize school lunches, which I think is a good idea, I want there to be good nutritional value in those meals. Is that too far over your pinhead to understand?

Who in the fuck loves the fact that government is forced to do what the private sector fails at? Are you really this stupid?

If I'm going to have to subsidize school lunches, which I think is a good idea, I want there to be good nutritional value in those meals. Is that too far over your pinhead to understand?

For all the kids who are so desperate to defend anything gov't does, please at least try to either obtain or begin using your common sense.

Vending machines in schools not to blame for obesity | study, machines, vending - Study - Gaston Gazette

But a new study suggests the blame for childhood obesity may rest more with parents at home than dispensers of candy bars and chips in our children’s schools.

Penn State University Sociologist Jennifer Van Hook, who conducted the study, concludes that obesity and weight gain is more determined by family and community eating habits, not vending machines in schools.

“Children may actually snack less at school than at home because of the daily structure of time, activities and meals,” said Van Hook. “Their environments at home and in their communities provide so many opportunities to eat unhealthy foods that competitive food sales in schools have little influence on children’s weight.”

It all has to do with whether or not the vending machine is plugged in during lunch, a kid plugs it in and buys a pepsi, if the wrong bureacrat is standing around you can say goodbye to the new instruments the music dept wanted to get or the new goalposts for the football field.

Hey wingnuts: this is about not following the rules. Nothing more.

Another thread fail.

Another thread fail.

Yep, if a school doesn't have someone monitoring a plug in from 11-1 every day they deserve to have money they use to buy educational tools stripped away.

That's what's best for the kids, fines to take away books and equipment they need.

I do not believe soda should be sold in schools, however that is a decision that should be made by the local school boards.
What kind of nation have we become where the central government is even AWARE of things happening at a local school, let alone regulate it?
Ban teachers unions, ban the Dept. Education.

How did you make the stretch between banning the sale of sodas in a school to the teachers and their union and Dept of Education.
Your statement at best is stupid.
Try reading the reason and who banned the sale and who implemented the fine.

Utah High School Fined $15,000 for Selling Soda | Video | TheBlaze.com

N/M the fine. WTF? Since when does the federal government regulate whether soda can be sold at a high school? They sold soda at my high school and I had no problem with it. And how is it even Constitutional for the government to restrict soda sales?

Are you not one of those high and mighty assholes that preach take care of yourself.
Then why don't those soda sucking jerks bring their own from home.
Boy can you talk out of both sides of your mouth.

N/M the fine. WTF? Since when does the federal government regulate whether soda can be sold at a high school? They sold soda at my high school and I had no problem with it. And how is it even Constitutional for the government to restrict soda sales?

I saw that...

That policy is so stupid.... They can sell pop - just not at lunch...

What type of idiot came up with that stupidity?

So a student can buy a pop 10 minutes before lunch, then drink it, or even bring one from home, but they cant buy one during lunch??

Do these policy makers just like to pretend they're authoritarians like Hitler or Mao or are they just stupid?

WTF

I saw that...

That policy is so stupid.... They can sell pop - just not at lunch...

What type of idiot came up with that stupidity?

So a student can buy a pop 10 minutes before lunch, then drink it, or even bring one from home, but they cant buy one during lunch??

Do these policy makers just like to pretend they're authoritarians like Hitler or Mao or are they just stupid?

WTF

I agree this is a stupid policy, a smart policy would be to totally remove these quasi-poisons from public schools.

It is a constitutional obligation of we the people to promote the general welfare, i.e. clean air, clean water, etc, and yeah-----a safe food supply, keeping the quasi-poisons that are shortening our children's lives and/or injuring our children out of the food chain in public schools is promoting the general welfare.

IMO unhealthy food choices in public schools should be regulated-----regulated in a similar way that we treat weapons -- not allowed on campus, zero tolerance.

But addressing the OP reporter's strawman argument --- if you don't like the federal rules, don't take the taxpayers federal money.

Why do Republicans believe corporations should have the "freedom" to poison our children in publicly funded schools?

Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power.
~ Benito Mussolini

Another thread fail.

Yep, if a school doesn't have someone monitoring a plug in from 11-1 every day they deserve to have money they use to buy educational tools stripped away.

That's what's best for the kids, fines to take away books and equipment they need.
They are dumbfucks who can't follow simple rules. Tough shit for them. Let them grow a brain.

You couldn't be more right. We do need to get back to following the Constitution.
Is it too much to ask that you follow the law and quit your fucking whining?

Just follow the law. If you don't like the law, get enough people to agree with you and change the law. Until then, shut the fuck up.

Back in the mid eighties while I was going through HS, there was a soda machine in the cafeteria... God help us.

Back in the mid eighties while I was going through HS, there was a soda machine in the cafeteria... God help us.

It's good that you invoked the name of God -- you're part of the generation that may need divine help to live as long as your parents.

I hope you live a long healthy life, unfortunately the food choices your school district made on your behalf have lessened the odds of that happening. Your generation is on it's way to being the first generation in American history that won't live as long as their parents. But I wish you luck anyway --- you're going to need it.

Forum List

Back