Big Brother Fines Utah HS for selling soda

Back in the mid eighties while I was going through HS, there was a soda machine in the cafeteria... God help us.

It's good that you invoked the name of God -- you're part of the generation that may need divine help to live as long as your parents.

I hope you live a long healthy life, unfortunately the food choices your school district made on your behalf have lessened the odds of that happening. Your generation is on it's way to being the first generation in American history that won't live as long as their parents. But I wish you luck anyway --- you're going to need it.

Oh stop yer crap already will you? Sheesh. :eusa_hand:

Back in the mid eighties while I was going through HS, there was a soda machine in the cafeteria... God help us.

It's good that you invoked the name of God -- you're part of the generation that may need divine help to live as long as your parents.

I hope you live a long healthy life, unfortunately the food choices your school district made on your behalf have lessened the odds of that happening. Your generation is on it's way to being the first generation in American history that won't live as long as their parents. But I wish you luck anyway --- you're going to need it.

Oh stop yer crap already will you? Sheesh. :eusa_hand:

I find it interesting that obesity rates stayed flat from 1960 through 1980. Then between 1980 and 2000 there was an exponential increase in obesity. Interesting too, those states that got fattest fastest are mostly so-called Red States.

What that says to me is, Republicans think it's OK to feed their own children the poisonous chemical and man made crap that has been shown to make our children so fat---so fat that they are destined to die before their healthier Blue State counterparts. Any Republicans here care to take issue with the above? G'head, make my day.

It is a constitutional obligation of we the people to promote the general welfare, i.e. clean air, clean water, etc, and yeah-----a safe food supply, keeping the quasi-poisons that are shortening our children's lives and/or injuring our children out of the food chain in public schools is promoting the general welfare.

I think the founders were quite clear that the Federal Govt should only use powers that are expressly granted. Any powers not expressly granted are given to the states.

The GOP is not against safety standards. We're for common sense and there is no need to foster this Big Brother knows best crap. Government is an instrument of the people. Instead, they think they're our daddy. F that. I'm done with the abuse.

Heres the deal.

school is government property.

Soda is teeth rotting crap.

A public school in Utah belongs to the state of Utah or one of its municipalities, not the federal government. The same dumb logic that rationalizes the federal government deciding that soda is unacceptable at school lunches, can rationalize the federal government deciding that soda is unacceptable for children at any time and any place.

What we have is a federal government that has proven it cannot do the job assigned to it by the Constitution, attempting to do the jobs of the states, the municipalitie, and the school boards. Kind of like the neer-do-well uncle attempting to tell the rest of the family how to conduct their business.

Heres the deal.

school is government property.

Soda is teeth rotting crap.

A public school in Utah belongs to the state of Utah or one of its municipalities, not the federal government. The same dumb logic that rationalizes the federal government deciding that soda is unacceptable at school lunches, can rationalize the federal government deciding that soda is unacceptable for children at any time and any place.

What we have is a federal government that has proven it cannot do the job assigned to it by the Constitution, attempting to do the jobs of the states, the municipalitie, and the school boards. Kind of like the neer-do-well uncle attempting to tell the rest of the family how to conduct their business.

Who raises the kids? The government or parents? I realize that a lot of dead beat dad libs don't get what the answer to that question is supposed to be.

Yes. And who else but the feds would impose a $15K fine for an honest mistake? What's the penalty for a second offense? Jail time?

I can't find the exact number of violations but the fine was "75¢ per student for the duration of the offense". A little simple arithmetic $15K/2,250 students = 6-7 days of violations. I don't know if that's how they worked out the amount of the fine, but it looks to me like Davis High School had plenty of time for at least one of their staffers to recognize they were breaking the law.

If Davis HS wants out of following federal guidelines, Davis HS shouldn't just pay a fine, they should turn down all future federal money.

School Characterisitics:
Three year public high school
One of Americas top 1000 schools in the United States
Top AP generating school in Utah (enrollment, test taking, test passing)
Accredited by Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges
College Preparatory
Total enrollment: 2,250 (largest in Davis County)
Total faculty/staff: 158

Hey wingnuts: this is about not following the rules. Nothing more.

You couldn't be more right. We do need to get back to following the Constitution.
Is it too much to ask that you follow the law and quit your fucking whining?

Just follow the law. If you don't like the law, get enough people to agree with you and change the law. Until then, shut the fuck up.

I don't believe this is a law, but a regulation handed down and enforced by unelected beaurocrats.

^^^

Those are some broad sweeping claims. Links?

The links are in my message(s) -- check 'em out!

Yea I stopped checking after I clicked the first link (stating that the Constitution guaranteed the nanny state) and all it was was a link to the entire Constitution. Go ahead and show me a specific clause in the Constitution that says that is so.

Yes. And who else but the feds would impose a $15K fine for an honest mistake? What's the penalty for a second offense? Jail time?

I can't find the exact number of violations but the fine was "75¢ per student for the duration of the offense".A little simple arithmetic $15K/2,250 students = 6-7 days of violations. I don't know if that's how they worked out the amount of the fine, but it looks to me like Davis High School had plenty of time for at least one of their staffers to recognize they were breaking the law.

If Davis HS wants out of following federal guidelines, Davis HS shouldn't just pay a fine, they should turn down all future federal money.

Why should the taxpayers in the school district be forced to pay for this bullshit?

Why are you all still posting? :lol:

I won this thread back in this post:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...s-utah-hs-for-selling-soda-3.html#post5316844

Couldn't agree more. There is no more obvious way to win a thread than to post a paragraph from an opinion piece blog from a biased writer.

Hopefully Gunny sends you a cookie.

No, I won the thread because I showed that this was just more poutrage from the fringe wingnuts on the Right. This was consequences for violating Federal rules.

You couldn't be more right. We do need to get back to following the Constitution.
Is it too much to ask that you follow the law and quit your fucking whining?

Just follow the law. If you don't like the law, get enough people to agree with you and change the law. Until then, shut the fuck up.

I don't believe this is a law, but a regulation handed down and enforced by unelected beaurocrats.
Ok. What's your point? That rules should be flaunted?

If they forgo the Federal taxpayer money, they can do whatever the hell they want to do.

Are they willing to do that for the sake of their convictions?

Why are you all still posting? :lol:

I won this thread back in this post:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...s-utah-hs-for-selling-soda-3.html#post5316844

How is that a win for you? We're not debating the competency of that school's administration. We're debating the need for the federal government to exert control of public schools.

I'm sure there was also a fringe element during WWII who thought the government didn't have the right to ration. History tells people like that to fuck off.

Forum List

Back