Big Bird, Typical Liberal

Big Bird made a foray into business a long time ago. Have you been to a toy store lately? Sesame Street takes up a whole department. Why can't the profits go to supporting PBS. After all every other product supports it's own shows.

I think the profits from these toys DO go back into supporting PBS and the show.

The problem with the model is we don't want the Sesame Street Gang becoming the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, who only really exist to sell toys and provide no other value.

Big Bird made a foray into business a long time ago. Have you been to a toy store lately? Sesame Street takes up a whole department. Why can't the profits go to supporting PBS. After all every other product supports it's own shows.

I think the profits from these toys DO go back into supporting PBS and the show.

The problem with the model is we don't want the Sesame Street Gang becoming the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, who only really exist to sell toys and provide no other value.
How is that any of your business?

:lol: :lol:
I am sure Ravi was completely serious.

It's not Romney who is ending funding, it's congress and they've been thinking about it for a long time.

Talk about corporate welfare;

"What do the numbers $369,000, $632,233, and $1.2 million have in common?* According to Senator Jim DeMint, those are the salaries received by top-ranking executives of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, PBS, and NPR in 2009.* When publicly-financed media operations can afford to pay those kinds of salaries, DeMint argues, it’s time for them to pay their own way:

While executives at the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) and National Public Radio (NPR) are raking in massive salaries, the organizations are participating in an aggressive lobbying effort to prevent Congress from saving hundreds of millions of dollars each year by cutting their subsidies. The so-called commercial free public airwaves have been filled with pleas for taxpayer cash. The Association of Public Television Stations has hired lobbyists to fight the cuts. Hundreds of taxpayer-supported TV, radio and Web outlets have partnered with an advocacy campaign to facilitate emails and phone calls to Capitol Hill for the purpose of telling members of Congress, “Public broadcasting funding is too important to eliminate!”

DeMint calls for end of public financing for PBS, NPR « Hot Air

Wow! Miss the debate? That is what the thread is about, not congress.
And Demint is an idiot, along with anyone who thinks that paying competitive wages is bad, especially when running a business.
Oh! And do me a favor look up how much CEOs and top executives make at other networks.

The thread is about PBS... dickcheese.

Top execs at other networks have to EARN thier pay.

PBS can afford to pay their own way. Anyone who has raised kids has paid shitloads of dollars for big bird, elmo, bert and ernie and all the other characters that generate millions (probably billions)

fuck that network. Pay your own way like the rest of us, assholes.

I'd rather pay the pittance to help fund big bird than throw money away on unnecessary tax breaks for big oil and their billions in profits. Millions vs billions, but funding a program that actually is a good investment in learning (from watching Sesame Street, I was reading by the time I was 4) instead of further enriching oil CEO's and banksters shows exactly where the right's priorities lie.

Then send them YOUR OWN money, dickcheese.

It's not Romney who is ending funding, it's congress and they've been thinking about it for a long time.

Talk about corporate welfare;

"What do the numbers $369,000, $632,233, and $1.2 million have in common?* According to Senator Jim DeMint, those are the salaries received by top-ranking executives of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, PBS, and NPR in 2009.* When publicly-financed media operations can afford to pay those kinds of salaries, DeMint argues, it’s time for them to pay their own way:

While executives at the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) and National Public Radio (NPR) are raking in massive salaries, the organizations are participating in an aggressive lobbying effort to prevent Congress from saving hundreds of millions of dollars each year by cutting their subsidies. The so-called commercial free public airwaves have been filled with pleas for taxpayer cash. The Association of Public Television Stations has hired lobbyists to fight the cuts. Hundreds of taxpayer-supported TV, radio and Web outlets have partnered with an advocacy campaign to facilitate emails and phone calls to Capitol Hill for the purpose of telling members of Congress, “Public broadcasting funding is too important to eliminate!”

DeMint calls for end of public financing for PBS, NPR « Hot Air

Wow! Miss the debate? That is what the thread is about, not congress.
And Demint is an idiot, along with anyone who thinks that paying competitive wages is bad, especially when running a business.
Oh! And do me a favor look up how much CEOs and top executives make at other networks.

The thread is about PBS... dickcheese.

Top execs at other networks have to EARN thier pay.

PBS can afford to pay their own way. Anyone who has raised kids has paid shitloads of dollars for big bird, elmo, bert and ernie and all the other characters that generate millions (probably billions)

fuck that network. Pay your own way like the rest of us, assholes.

Yeah, missed my point smart one.

And dick cheese? Yeah, your are a grown up.

I'd rather pay the pittance to help fund big bird than throw money away on unnecessary tax breaks for big oil and their billions in profits. Millions vs billions, but funding a program that actually is a good investment in learning (from watching Sesame Street, I was reading by the time I was 4) instead of further enriching oil CEO's and banksters shows exactly where the right's priorities lie.

He might.
Go troll the flame zone child.

PBS is not a church.

PBS is really a fraud. They have endless fundraising marathons, they get public money, and their shows generate their own income like gigantic infomercials.

All true.

But here's the point.

The shows are driven by the creative energies of the producers.

What you don't have is what you have on ABC/CBS/NBC/Fox where the shows are clearly designed to sell commericals, and therefore, any artistic/educational value is sacrificed on the altar of sponsorship and profits.

Now, back when I used to be more Right Wing than I am now, I used to argue that networks like TLC, Discovery, the History Channel, etc. showed that you can really do educational programming commercially and there really wasn't a need for PBS to be so snobbish and refuse to take commercials. Whatever the rational was when we only had four TV channels was, now that we have 100 channels of shit to chose from, education could find a niche.

How wrong I turned out to be.

Today-

The History Channel shows programs like "Ice Road Truckers" and "Axe Men", which is just the same kind of lame reality TV we get on any mainstream network.

Discovery has made Shark Week as much a promotional thing than any other silliness.

And TLC does shows about sextuplets (Jon and Kate Destroy Their Family), Midgets, Child Beauty Pagents (ICK!!!!) and Sarah Palin. They stopped calling themselves "The Learning Channel" a long time ago.

I know this is not going to change anyone's mind but,,,,,

30 TV Shows That Are Actually Educational

30 TV Shows That Are Actually Educational | Edudemic

In 2011, the Federal Budget was $3.4 trillion, PBS received $430 million. That's like .0001% of the Federal Budget.

Yet according to Tom Coburn, the wealthy receive $30 billion dollars in taxpayer giveaways each year.
http://www.coburn.senate.gov/public...&File_id=544ae3e7-195b-40ad-aa84-334fdd6a5e1f

So let's kill Big Bird/PBS, but let's continue to worship the wealthy and let them continue on getting billions of dollars annually that contribute almost 100 times more dollars to the deficit than the cost of helping finance good education for our kids.

It's not a taxpayer GIVEAWAY when the wealthy get to keep their own fucking money.

Dickcheese.

Last edited:

Me personally, none. I don't have kids.

But frankly, if I had kids, I'd rather have a show that taught them how to read than a show that taught them that violence was a solution to problems and they needed to have more toys.

I think we've hit on the fundemental issue. Do things exist for the public good, or do they exist so a few people can make a quick buck?

Big Bird, 43 years old, has been on public assistance since birth.

A lifetime of exposure to Liberal ideology has convinced him that he is unable to support himself without public assistance. Liberals have robbed him of any ambition to venture forth into the free market.

Big Bird, you're 43 fucking years old, its time you moved out of your Mom's basement. You and your friends are easily worth $1 billion so it's time to grow a pair. Get out there, earn a living and pay your fair share.

Take Elmo, Grover and that creep who is always in the Garbage Can with you too. Oh, and don't send "Veggie Monster" back until he eats Cookies again. Your Liberal friends made a fucking mockery of him.

Perhaps if you had watched Sesame Street, you wouldn't be such a worthless illiterate on the public doll.

I watched it when I had young kids before Cookie Monster went complete Liberal Faggot and became Veggie Monster.

Unlike you, I don't have to go there for news and current events.

And it's dole, not doll, you dolt

post of the week :badgrin:

Why does the far right element of the GOP hate to spend money on education but have no problem with welfare for the wealthy?
Blow it our your ass.

Not only is that irrelevant to the topic at hand, CTW makes bazillions off of licensing deals to sell Sesame Street.

Talk about your corporate welfare cases!

2nd post of the week

But frankly, if I had kids, I'd rather have a show that taught them how to read than a show that taught them that violence was a solution to problems and they needed to have more toys.

I think we've hit on the fundemental issue. Do things exist for the public good, or do they exist so a few people can make a quick buck?
good thing you don't have kids

He might.
Go troll the flame zone child.

Is that where you reside, flamer?

Didn't ask what you would rather have, but how it's any of your business.

And you admitted that it's not.

So buzz off.

I know this is not going to change anyone's mind but,,,,,

30 TV Shows That Are Actually Educational

30 TV Shows That Are Actually Educational | Edudemic

In 2011, the Federal Budget was $3.4 trillion, PBS received $430 million. That's like .0001% of the Federal Budget.

Yet according to Tom Coburn, the wealthy receive $30 billion dollars in taxpayer giveaways each year.
http://www.coburn.senate.gov/public...&File_id=544ae3e7-195b-40ad-aa84-334fdd6a5e1f

So let's kill Big Bird/PBS, but let's continue to worship the wealthy and let them continue on getting billions of dollars annually that contribute almost 100 times more dollars to the deficit than the cost of helping finance good education for our kids.

It's not a taxpayer GIVEAWAY when the welathy get to keep their own fucking koney.

Dickcheese.

Of course Mex clearly shows he didn't read the Tom Coburn (R-OK) Report that I linked, he just reacted ignorantly. Maybe he should have watched CTW when he was a pre-school child, then he might possess reading comprehension and maybe a little ambition to actually read the links to posts. Ya know Mex, reading can be fun and educational.

561918_532966293399495_121737575_n.jpg

Would someone tell us why we should borrow money from China to support a 1 percenter?

Big Bird's a one-percenter: Inside Sesame Street's tax return

ELECTIONS 2012OCTOBER 4, 2012BY: VICTOR MEDINA
Critics have pounced on Gov. Mitt Romney's debate statement that he will cut funding to PBS, even though he says he likes Big Bird. Democrats have tried to characterize his anti-Muppet statement as cold and heartless, but a 2011 tax return reveals Big Bird made enough money last year to put himself in the one percent earnings bracket.

The 2011 IRS 990 form for Sesame Workshop (formerly the Children's Television Workshop), the producers of Sesame Street, revealed that they received $7,968,918 in government grants last year. That sounds like a hefty amount, but the 990 also revealed that Sesame Workshop received $44,984,003 in royalties last year, which includes sales of Sesame Street brand merchandise like "Tickle Me Elmo" dolls. That means Big Bird made five times in merchandise sales than what he received in government grants.
An even closer look at Sesame Workshop's finances shows the government funding Romney wants to cut is only a small part of their budget and may not be necessary at all. In 2011, Sesame Workshop received $31,555,192 in grants and donations last year apart from the U.S. government. They also raised over $2 million in additional funds from various fundraising events. In all, Sesame Workshop raised almost $34 million in private funds for Sesame Street, aside from government grants.

In addition, Sesame Workshop brought in almost $30 million in revenue from content distribution and media production. In total, Sesame Workshop brought in over $122 million in revenue, not including government grants. On their website, Sesame Workshop claims corporate, foundation, and government support make up 35% of their budget. Realistically, however, government funding only accounts for just over 6% of their budget.
Big Bird's a one-percenter: Inside Sesame Street's tax return - National Republican | Examiner.com

PBS costs the US one hundredth of one per cent of the budget. Meanwhile Willard wants to add $2Trillion to the military, which they don't want, and a $5Trillion dollar tax cut [revenue].

Forum List

Back