Big Bird, Typical Liberal

Just out of curiosity, why are we pretending that removing federal funding from PBS would cause it to close down and kill Big Bird?

Is this a game? And no one told me?

Um... no, probably not.

of course, the question is, what would PBS be without that federal subsidy?

I think that is the question.

A big market like Chicago will still have WTTW and maybe that second and third PBS Station.

But the markets like Northern Wisconsin, where the PBS stations only exist because of that federal subsidy.

If that's the case, if there would be sporadic damage, then I'll bet that smart and reasonable people could come up with some kind of fix, a new approach. The first place I would look is the operational efficiencies of PBS itself. Next I would look at the non-federal funding mechanisms already in place that could be improved upon. Next I'd look at beefing up the culture of support that already exists at a smaller level.

One of our problems is that we tend to look at things statically, not dynamically. A minus B does not necessarily have to equal C. I'll bet we could make PBS independent and that it would survive just fine. Both sides of this issue need to calm down a bit, take it out of the realm of politics, and do some reasoning cooperatively. Get some intelligent and passionate people to think it through without engaging in the standard slap-fighting.

Which would also be very helpful in approximately 500 of the other significant problems this country is facing.

Meh, that's just me, babbling.

Last edited:
If that's the case, if there would be sporadic damage, then I'll bet that smart and reasonable people could come up with some kind of fix, a new approach. The first place I would look is the operational efficiencies of PBS itself. Next I would look at the non-federal funding mechanisms already in place that could be improved upon. Next I'd look at beefing up the culture of support that already exists at a smaller level.

One of our problems is that we tend to look at things statically, not dynamically. A minus B does not necessarily have to equal C. I'll bet we could make PBS independent and that it would survive just fine. Both sides of this issue need to calm down a bit, take it out of the realm of politics, and do some reasoning cooperatively. Get some intelligent and passionate people to think it through without engaging in the standard slap-fighting.

Which would also be very helpful in approximately 500 of the other significant problems this country is facing.

My inner conservative agrees with you that PBS has a lot of inefficiencies, and they could probably live without the Federal subsidy.

But the point is, PBS' subsidy is only 400 million dollars. Yeah, a lot of money to you and me, but compared to the 20 BILLION in tax breaks the oil industry gets? Why didn't Mitt talk about that? A single F-22 Raptor costs 377 Million if you factor in maintenance and development costs. To date, they haven't flown a single combat mission. Romney wants to buy more of those. So why single out PBS.

Oh, yeah, because he had Jim Lehrer right there, and Jim used to work for PBS before he retired.

"I like to be able to fire people!"

Seriously, Romney is just such a douchebag.

Last edited:

Just out of curiosity, why are we pretending that removing federal funding from PBS would cause it to close down and kill Big Bird?

Um... no, probably not.

of course, the question is, what would PBS be without that federal subsidy?

I think that is the question.

A big market like Chicago will still have WTTW and maybe that second and third PBS Station.

But the markets like Northern Wisconsin, where the PBS stations only exist because of that federal subsidy.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

And then there is stuff like this:

Too Much TV Linked with Thicker, Weaker Kids | Healthland | TIME.com

It’s no secret that watching TV is linked with some unhealthy outcomes in kids — previous studies have found that children who watch more television are more likely to eat junk food, have trouble sleeping and become obese — but the new study, published in BioMed Central’s open access journal International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, establishes a link between screen time and specific measures of physical fitness.

“We already knew that there is an association between preschool television exposure and the body fat of fourth grade children, but this is the first study to describe more precisely what that association represents,” said senior author Dr. Linda Pagani, a researcher at the Sainte-Justine University Hospital Research Center, in a statement.

Last edited:

My inner conservative agrees with you that PBS has a lot of inefficiencies, and they could probably live without the Federal subsidy.

But the point is, PBS' subsidy is only 400 million dollars. Yeah, a lot of money to you and me, but compared to the 20 BILLION in tax breaks the oil industry gets? Why didn't Mitt talk about that? A single F-22 Raptor costs 377 Million if you factor in maintenance and development costs. To date, they haven't flown a single combat mission. Romney wants to buy more of those. So why single out PBS.

Oh, yeah, because he had Jim Lehrer right there, and Jim used to work for PBS before he retired.

"I like to be able to fire people!"

Seriously, Romney is just such a douchebag.

Mitten's war on Big Bird statement just energised at least a million young family voters that might have sat out the election to go to the booth and vote agaist him. Ya Willard...attack children...smart! Very smart! :lol:

Time to move on. NPR & PBS have ridden the Taxpayer Gravy Train for too long. Their Left/Democrat bias gets more blatant every year. There is no logical reason to continue forcing American Taxpayers to fund them. It's time to turn the page. NPR/PBS can, and should go it alone.

Let George Soros and other filthy rich Democrats handle their funding. They certainly have the cash to do it. Why should all American Taxpayers be forced to fund Left/Democrat Propaganda? It's an injustice that needs to be remedied.

"I'm sorry, Jim, I'm going to stop the subsidy to PBS," he told debate moderator Jim Lehrer, the executive editor of PBS NewsHour. "I'm going to stop other things. I like PBS, I love Big Bird. Actually I like you, too. But... I'm not going to keep on spending money on things to borrow money from China to pay for [it]."

^Problem? Stopping the subsidy to PBS has been a topic of discussion many times over the years. BFD.

Why all the attention to this one snippet of the debate? Big Bird love or an attempt to distract from Obama's dismal debate showing?

Last edited:
When Mitt's President, he's going to outsource Sesame Street to China.

Get ready for

Sesame_Street_China_sign.jpg

Not to worry, all you bloodsuckers who sold us out to China will get your reckoning, eventually.

Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Now, excuse me while I count this

piles-of-money.jpg

countvoncount.jpg

41...42...43...44...45 million $$$ in licensing royalties for CTW!...ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Hmmm, I am sure I just missed the "outrage" and concern for Big Bird and Company back in 2010.

President Obama sneered at Romney for daring to mention PBS subsidies in the context of deficit reduction. But Obama's own Bowles-Simpson deficit reduction commission singled out Corporation for Public Broadcasting spending. "The current CPB funding level is the highest it has ever been," the panel noted after Obama proposed hiking yearly appropriations to $450 million in 2012. Doing away with the appropriation would save nearly $500 million in 2015 alone. Over 10 years, those savings would total $5 billion (or roughly 10 Solyndras). In these tough times, that's more than chump change and child's play.

Link

More

It comes from the bran dead, detached-from-reality lolberal meme which proclaims that if gubmint doesn't do X, nobody will.

Close. It is about nutrition. It comes from the mind set that there needs to be commercial free programming for young kids that corporations don't beat them over the head with corn sugar laden cereals and crap lead painted toys from China.

Why is it so difficult for some of you to see that doing the right thing by our children is good for the country?

Quote: Originally Posted by Mr. Peepers
I'd rather pay the pittance to help fund big bird than throw money away on unnecessary tax breaks for big oil and their billions in profits. Millions vs billions, but funding a program that actually is a good investment in learning (from watching Sesame Street, I was reading by the time I was 4) instead of further enriching oil CEO's and banksters shows exactly where the right's priorities lie.

Then send them YOUR OWN money, dickcheese.

I do. I am a member of PBS and NPR.

It comes from the bran dead, detached-from-reality lolberal meme which proclaims that if gubmint doesn't do X, nobody will.

Close. It is about nutrition. It comes from the mind set that there needs to be commercial free programming for young kids that corporations don't beat them over the head with corn sugar laden cereals and crap lead painted toys from China.

Why is it so difficult for some of you to see that doing the right thing by our children is good for the country?

So we are supposed to be pretending that removing federal funding from PBS would cause it to close down and kill Big Bird?

Okay, just so I know.

From CNN.com:

Sesame Workshop: 'Big Bird lives on;' we receive 'very little funding from PBS'

Before Mitt Romney said he was going to stop the subsidy to PBS, even though he likes Big Bird, at the first presidential debate, Sherrie Westin, executive vice president and chief marketing officer, Sesame Workshop, told CNN’s Soledad O’Brien that cuts to public broadcasting will not ‘kill Big Bird.’

Westin says, “Sesame Workshop receives very, very little funding from PBS. So, we are able to raise our funding through philanthropic, through our licensed product, which goes back into the educational programming, through corporate underwriting and sponsorship. So quite frankly, you can debate whether or not there should be funding of public broadcasting. But when they always try to tout out Big Bird, and say we’re going to kill Big Bird – that is actually misleading, because Sesame Street will be here.”

Enough of the dishonest hysterics.

Forum List

Back