‘Big Beer’ wins a round in legislative battle with Fla. microbreweries

Did you read the entire story?
A republican is sponsoring the bill. Another republican is opposed..
Let's trun this around for a moment.
Answer this. Why should a small volume brewery be permitted to bypass the laws all other producers must abide by? What makes microbreweries so special?

Well, for those folks that really want to know what makes Microbreweries so special, come to Oregon and see.

Montana. Big Sky Brewery. Moose Drool Brown Ale.

Mmmm, Mmmm Good...

Your choice of grog is by a micro brewery is immaterial. I want to know why these brewers believe the law should not apply to them.

Bud long necks are $16, if I remember correctly. There are promos every once in a while where I'll get a case of Bud Lite cans for $0.01, but that's one case out of 24.

Well, for those folks that really want to know what makes Microbreweries so special, come to Oregon and see.

Mmmm, Mmmm Good...

Your choice of grog is by a micro brewery is immaterial. I want to know why these brewers believe the law should not apply to them.

Because it's a stupid, outdated law?

I'm guessing that's the biggest objection. That and the fact that the whole process makes no good sense. IMO.

Other than that, I got nothing...

Mmmm, Mmmm Good...

So you're cool with Budweiser selling their beer through their own distributors but small businesses have to sell their product to Anheuser Bush then buy it back? Why? I could buy my microbrews for 20% less without going through one of the only 3 distributors I'm allowed to purchase from.

More "small government" from your Republican Party. What a fucking joke. Flori-DUH

?Big Beer? wins a round in legislative battle with Fla. microbreweries | Political Fix Florida

Answer this. Why should a small volume brewery be permitted to bypass the laws all other producers must abide by? What makes microbreweries so special?

Any brewery should be able to sell beer at retail.

More "small government" from your Republican Party. What a fucking joke. Flori-DUH

?Big Beer? wins a round in legislative battle with Fla. microbreweries | Political Fix Florida

Any brewery should be able to sell beer at retail.

I agree. Wineries are allowed to sell their product on site. The sole reason behind this bill in FL is to protect the 2 major brands that distribute 99% of the beer in the state.
No single winery is powerful enough to control a significant market share, so small wineries are left alone.

Actually, if this bill passes, any brewery will be able to sell their beer retail, IF they can get a distributor to pick it up. The distributors will only add your brew to their stock if you demonstrate you can produce and sell a significant quantity; on the order of a couple hundred cases or the equivalent number of kegs/month.
So, they're caught in a catch 22 where they can't sell their product to test market it. They can only give it away on site. In order to get a following large enough to justify producing 200 cases/month, you have to give away a lot of beer.

Last edited:
Thats fucked up!! But not near as fucked up as big government taking over healthcare.
They just passed a law in Texas allowing micro breweries to sell directly to the public.
And of course they allow them to sell to liquor stores and grocery stores.

I never did like Jeb...he's a fucken RINO.

WTF does Jeb have to do with this law?

He's the governor.He should stand up and put a stop to it.

Does Rick Scott know that? :confused:

Yes, I did read it, and Republicans control the state legislature, so if they truly believe in limited government as they purport (which they don't, it's all a lie) this legislation would have no chance of becoming law.

In Pennsylvania you can't buy beer at the grocery store. You have to buy it at a distributor and they only sell cases of 24. You can buy a six pack at a bar, but they charge you retail, of course.

Forum List

Back