Biden won debate but Palin exceeded expectations

During coverage of the October 2 vice-presidential debate on PBS' Charlie Rose, Rose asked, "Did either of them make any mistakes that you noticed?" National Public Radio senior news analyst Cokie Roberts responded that Sen. Joe Biden "talked about the Bosniaks." Roberts later said: "f [Gov. Sarah Palin] had said 'Bosniak,' everybody would be making a big deal of it, you know." In fact, Biden correctly referred to certain residents of Bosnia and Herzegovina as Bosniaks. According to the U.S. State Department, as of 2002, the population of Bosnia and Herzegovina consisted of the following ethnic groups: "Bosniak 48.3%, Serb 34.0%, Croat 15.4%, others 2.3%."

The CIA World Factbook states: "Bosniak has replaced Muslim as an ethnic term in part to avoid confusion with the religious term Muslim -- an adherent of Islam."

NPR correspondent on a PBS show makes a mistake criticizing Biden. Since everybody knows public radio and television have an infamous liberal bias, this is obviously part of an elaborate scheme to criticize Biden, but secretly know that the criticism is incorrect so people will look it up and see that Biden really is smart.

:lol:

If you actually read my earlier posts... you'll see I thought both made minor mistakes....and I am not going to bash for that... mispronunciations, number mistakes, etc.... no biggie

Although it was Biden who came out with flat out lies

Palin: Now, Barack Obama had said that all we're doing in Afghanistan is air-raiding villages and killing civilians. And such a reckless, reckless comment and untrue comment, again, hurts our cause.
The Associated Press fact-checked this one, and found that in fact U.S troops were killing more civilians at the time than insurgents: "As of Aug. 1, the AP count shows that while militants killed 231 civilians in attacks in 2007, Western forces killed 286. Another 20 were killed in crossfire that can’t be attributed to one party." Afghan President Hamid Karzai had expressed concern about these civilian killings, a concern President Bush said he shared.

Palin threw out an old canard when she criticized Obama for voting for the 2005 energy bill and said, “that’s what gave those oil companies those big tax breaks.” It’s a false attack Sen. Hillary Clinton used against Obama in the primary, and McCain himself has hurled. It’s true that the bill gave some tax breaks to oil companies, but it also took away others. And according to the Congressional Research Service, the bill created a slight net increase in taxes for the oil industry.

Palin said, "We're circulating about $700 billion a year into foreign countries" for imported oil, repeating an outdated figure often used by McCain. At oil prices current as of Sept. 30, imports are running at a rate of about $493 billion per year.

Point Biden. To start, Palin got newly appointed Gen. David D. McKiernan's name wrong when she called him McClellan. And, more important, Gen. McKiernan clearly did say that surge principles would not work in Afghanistan. As the Washington Post reported:
Washington Post: "The word I don't use for Afghanistan is 'surge,' " McKiernan stressed, saying that what is required is a "sustained commitment" to a counterinsurgency effort that could last many years and would ultimately require a political, not military, solution.

Palin: But when you talk about Barack's plan to tax increase affecting only those making $250,000 a year or more, you're forgetting millions of small businesses that are going to fit into that category. So they're going to be the ones paying higher taxes thus resulting in fewer jobs being created and less productivity.
As we reported June 23, it's simply untrue that "millions" of small business owners will pay higher federal income taxes under Obama's proposal. According to an analysis by the independent Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center, several hundred thousand small business owners, at most, would have incomes high enough to be affected by the higher rates on income, capital gains and dividends that Obama proposes. That counts as "small business owners" even those who merely have some sideline income from such endeavors as freelance writing, speaking or running rental properties, and who get the bulk of their income from employment elsewhere.

Palin: Barack Obama even supported increasing taxes as late as last year for those families making only $42,000 a year. That's a lot of middle income average American families to increase taxes on them. I think that is the way to kill jobs and to continue to harm our economy.
Obama did not in fact vote to increase taxes on "families" making as little as $42,000 per year. What Obama actually voted for was a budget resolution that called for returning the 25 percent tax bracket to its pre-Bush tax cut level of 28 percent. That could have affected an individual with no children making as little as $42,000. But a couple would have had to earn $83,000 to be affected and a family of four at least $90,000. The resolution would not have raised taxes on its own, without additional legislation, and, as we've noted before, there is no such tax increase in Obama's tax plan. (The vote took place on March 14 of this year, not last year as Palin said.)
Palin also repeated the exaggeration that Obama voted 94 times to increase taxes. That number includes seven votes that would have lowered taxes for many, while raising them on corporations or affluent individuals; 23 votes that were against tax cuts; and 17 that came on just 7 different bills. She also claimed that Biden and Obama voted for "the largest tax increase in history." Palin is referring here to the Democrats' 2008 budget proposal, which would indeed have resulted in about $217 billion in higher taxes over two years. That's a significant increase. But measured as a percentage of the nation's economic output, or gross domestic product, the yardstick that most economists prefer, the 2008 budget proposal would have been the third-largest since 1968, and it's not even in the top 10 since 1940.

oh, so it isnt bad if you dont call them 'flat out lies.' thats bullshit.

what did he mean when he said "No coal plants in America"?

Please, I'm tired of trying to follow this back and forth. Tell me exactly where he said it and what you say he was denying. Did he say no clean coal plants? Was he referring to dirty coal plants?

Just give the statement and source for a comment. Then give the statement and source where he denied the previous comment. If you're right I'll admit it. But I'm not sure what you're even claiming he said or denied at this point.

Please, I'm tired of trying to follow this back and forth. Tell me exactly where he said it and what you say he was denying. Did he say no clean coal plants? Was he referring to dirty coal plants?

Just give the statement and source for a comment. Then give the statement and source where he denied the previous comment. If you're right I'll admit it. But I'm not sure what you're even claiming he said or denied at this point.

did you watch the video?

did you watch the video?

Yes. And I repeat, Just give the statement and source for a comment. Then give the statement and source where he denied the previous comment. If you're right I'll admit it. But I'm not sure what you're even claiming he said or denied at this point.

Provide all of the information above. Am I expecting too much here? I mean judging from your previous in depth discussions on this thread with intellectual gems like:
In your wildest dreams Biden won. Keep lying to yourself. Pinheads.-Willowtree
because you are deaf, dumb, blind, and indoctrinated.-Willowtree
make that PMS they all seem to be afflicted this morning with Palin Madness Syndrome. We need funding for a clinic...... -Willowtree

did you watch the video?

Yes. And I repeat, Just give the statement and source for a comment. Then give the statement and source where he denied the previous comment. If you're right I'll admit it. But I'm not sure what you're even claiming he said or denied at this point.

Provide all of the information above. Am I expecting too much here? I mean judging from your previous in depth discussions on this thread with intellectual gems like:

what did he mean in the video when he said "No coal plants in America"? how hard is that?

what did he mean in the video when he said "No coal plants in America"? how hard is that?
At least as hard as you posting the quote and then the quote where he denied it.

Why can't you do that? Your post accused him of denying something. But you want me to explain stuff without clearly saying what he denied.

At least as hard as you posting the quote and then the quote where he denied it.

Why can't you do that? Your post accused him of denying something. But you want me to explain stuff without clearly saying what he denied.

you don't have to explain anything. I heard him say in the debate last night that he did not say "NO coal plants in America" he did it's right on the video. I am very clear on that. You are the one who seems to have a question.

No you didn't. You asked me to "prove factcheck wrong". Pick one or stop wasting electrons.

choosing any of the topics on that site and showing it to be wrong would "prove factcheck wrong." you really are good at avoiding the issue. but here, since youre incapable of doing anything which isnt perfectly laid out:

Palin repeated a falsehood that the McCain campaign has peddled, off and on, for some time:

Palin: But when you talk about Barack's plan to tax increase affecting only those making $250,000 a year or more, you're forgetting millions of small businesses that are going to fit into that category. So they're going to be the ones paying higher taxes thus resulting in fewer jobs being created and less productivity.

As we reported June 23, it's simply untrue that "millions" of small business owners will pay higher federal income taxes under Obama's proposal. According to an analysis by the independent Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center, several hundred thousand small business owners, at most, would have incomes high enough to be affected by the higher rates on income, capital gains and dividends that Obama proposes. That counts as "small business owners" even those who merely have some sideline income from such endeavors as freelance writing, speaking or running rental properties, and who get the bulk of their income from employment elsewhere.

show where factcheck messed up

Last edited:
yeah, choosing any of the topics on that site and showing it to be wrong would "prove factcheck wrong." you really are good at avoiding the issue. but here, since youre incapable of doing anything which isnt percectly laid out:

Palin repeated a falsehood that the McCain campaign has peddled, off and on, for some time:

show where factcheck messed up

you have the patience of a saint. where do i sign up to vote to have you canonized?

what did he mean in the video when he said "No coal plants in America"?

you don't have to explain anything.

You ask me what he means then say I don't have to explain anything.

I heard him say in the debate last night that he did not say "NO coal plants in America"

And the reason you can't fulfill my request, is because as far as I can tell, he didn't say what you're claiming. I'll make it easier. Here's the link for a transcript of the debate. Use the find feature in your browser and search for the word coal. When you find the quote you're claiming, be sure and post it for me, because I missed it. If you don't find it, and you have any sense of honor, you'll come back and admit you were wrong.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/02/debate.transcript/index.html

Last edited:
You ask me what he means then say I don't have to explain anything.

And the reason you can't fulfill my request, is because as far as I can tell, he didn't say what you're claiming. I'll make it easier. Here's the link for a transcript of the debate. Use the find feature in your browser and search for the word coal. When you find the quote you're claiming, be sure and post it for me, because I missed it. If you don't find it, and you have any sense of honor, you'll come back and admit you were wrong.

Transcript of Palin, Biden debate - CNN.com

he said it, I'm clear, problem solved, sorry if I bothered you. The mulberry bush needs watering.

Forum List

Back