Bible passages that the religious right must pretend do not exist...

Avatar offers an opinion in response to actual examples. Maybe he would be so kind as to list the policies he claims which prove, "Democrats don't want to give the government any power over our lives. They just vote for policies to do so every day"

Post the policy which proves your claim, Avatar; start with Monday and post four more such policies for the week ending yesterday.

Wry offers drivel to counter actual facts.

Obamacare

Gun Control

War on drugs

Shall I continue, or do you get the point?

The point is obvious, it's atop of your head. If you have something of substance to offer - that'll be the day - post it; listing topics which deserve debate by themselves is at best insipid and is CrusaderFrankian.

If much is given, much is required. How exactly are you giving much if all you do is blindly hand the government power over your life?

The only ones that want to do that are Republicans. Think "women's bodies being legislated" and think "gays being second class citizens" and think "voter suppression". In other words "think God dammit, think!"
????.....believing its wrong to kill your unborn children is a bad thing?..........using the courts to redefine marriage to conform to YOUR beliefs is NOT an example of using the government to force things on people?......

Forcing someone to have an unwanted child is an authoritarian act; denying a couple the right to marry is an authoritarian act; the act of gays or lesbians marrying has no impact on straights, and no one is forcing you or anyone to change their beliefs. Feel free to be a bigot, it's a free country.

"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and Mammon."
-- Matthew 6:24

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
-- Mark 10:25

"Do not mistreat an alien or oppress him"
-- Exodus 22:21

"If you enter your neighbor's vineyard, you may eat all the grapes you want, but do not put any in your basket."
-- Deuteronomy 23:24

"What sorrow for you who buy up house after house and field after field, until everyone is evicted and you live alone in the land."
-- Isaiah 5:8

"If you lend money to one of my people among you who is needy, do not be like a moneylender; charge him no interest."
-- Exodus 22:25

"neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common"
-- Acts 4:32

And yet they say our government should operate according to Christian principles. Irony :rolleyes:

The 4 main NT people---- Jesus, Paul, Peter,John---- all in 100% agreement---Jesus has a God, his Father--John 20:17,Rev 3:12---2Cor 1:3,1Cor 8:6,1Cor 15:24-28---1Peter 1:3---Rev 1:6----- Doesn't fit with the trinity teaching---they contradict it.
YES!!! JESUS set aside His power and glory as GOD the Son to be born a human 100% but still a sinless 100 % GOD that paid our sin debt when we accept Him as our LORD and Savior.

Jesus was made lower than the angels--a mortal--not God in the flesh---- no mortal could ever kill God.
Applying Gods justices makes it an impossibility for Jesus to have been anything but a sinless mortal.

Forcing someone to have an unwanted child is an authoritarian act; denying a couple the right to marry is an authoritarian act; the act of gays or lesbians marrying has no impact on straights, and no one is forcing you or anyone to change their beliefs. Feel free to be a bigot, it's a free country.

Forcing someone to cater a gay wedding is an authoritarian act.

I mean must as in you MUST be joking, not as in you MUST kiss my backside.

How is asking you to explain yourself a joke? If I posted something you thought was bullshit wouldn't you ask for an explanation? Or would you just attack me because actual debate is not something you engage in?

Those were examples. You were not understanding what I meant by "must"

Tell you what, when you start living by all these principles you expect others to adhere to, feel free to come back and preach at those who do not. Until you do, you just make yourself into the world's biggest hypocrite.

I don't want to live in a theocracy--even a selective one. That is actually the WHOLE POINT of my original post. The point you have so carefully evaded in your responses.

To put it more simply, the passages speak to "the mutual duty of all to practice Christian forbearance, love, and charity towards each other"

Whereas, the religious right is concerned with imposing on "dictates of conscience."

If, however, you do believe in the separation of Church and State, then this does not apply to you.

I don't want simple, I want you to explain what you think each verse you quoted means, and why anyone has to ignore them. You made the claim explain it, or admit that all you have is your personal intolerance toward what you think other people believe.

I could be wrong though, they may just be unaware that those are in there because they either have not read them, they lack the basic reading comprehension to understand what they are clearly saying, or just have forgotten that they ever read them. If that is the case, I'm offering a refresher.

"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and Mammon."

[means that greedy people are not right with God]

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

[ditto]

[be nice to foreigners]

"If you enter your neighbor's vineyard, you may eat all the grapes you want, but do not put any in your basket."

[seeking basic sustenance isn't a crime, but don't overly burden any one person]

"What sorrow for you who buy up house after house and field after field, until everyone is evicted and you live alone in the land."

[Again, greed is not good]

"If you lend money to one of my people among you who is needy, do not be like a moneylender; charge him no interest."

[Do not exploit your neighbor on account of his/her socio-economic status]

"neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common"

[a description of the early Church. Just threw that in for contrast]
I can see why you believe Christianity is opposed to greed....but I am curious why you don't realize the "secular left" is more greedy than the "religious right".....after all isn't increasing taxes on those that already pay 90% of the taxes an example of taking your neighbors grapes away in a basket?.....

And what group pays 90% of taxes?

If much is given, much is required. How exactly are you giving much if all you do is blindly hand the government power over your life?

The only ones that want to do that are Republicans. Think "women's bodies being legislated" and think "gays being second class citizens" and think "voter suppression". In other words "think God dammit, think!"
????.....believing its wrong to kill your unborn children is a bad thing?..........using the courts to redefine marriage to conform to YOUR beliefs is NOT an example of using the government to force things on people?......

it is true that keeping people from killing is an authoritarian act.....one which has been in place for thousands of years.....whether or not someone meets the requirements of "marriage" is not....its an aspect of societal standards...using the government to change societal standards by force of law is an authoritarian act.....

To put it more simply, the passages speak to "the mutual duty of all to practice Christian forbearance, love, and charity towards each other"

Whereas, the religious right is concerned with imposing on "dictates of conscience."

If, however, you do believe in the separation of Church and State, then this does not apply to you.

I don't want simple, I want you to explain what you think each verse you quoted means, and why anyone has to ignore them. You made the claim explain it, or admit that all you have is your personal intolerance toward what you think other people believe.

I could be wrong though, they may just be unaware that those are in there because they either have not read them, they lack the basic reading comprehension to understand what they are clearly saying, or just have forgotten that they ever read them. If that is the case, I'm offering a refresher.

[ditto]

[be nice to foreigners]

[seeking basic sustenance isn't a crime, but don't overly burden any one person]

I can see why you believe Christianity is opposed to greed....but I am curious why you don't realize the "secular left" is more greedy than the "religious right".....after all isn't increasing taxes on those that already pay 90% of the taxes an example of taking your neighbors grapes away in a basket?.....

I forget the specific level, but for the sake of argument, the top 10% of earners pay 90% of federal income taxes.....

[ditto]

[be nice to foreigners]

I forget the specific level, but for the sake of argument, the top 10% of earners pay 90% of federal income taxes.....
So what, unlike the bottom 50%, they can afford it.

[ditto]

[be nice to foreigners]

So what, unlike the bottom 50%, they can afford it.
read the thread for context....it will answer your question.....

[ditto]

[be nice to foreigners]

Is that what they say on the "news"?

Summary of Latest Federal Income Tax Data Tax Foundation

It need hardly be said that federal income taxes do not even account for a majority of taxes paid in this country :rolleyes:

it is true that keeping people from killing is an authoritarian act.....one which has been in place for thousands of years.....whether or not someone meets the requirements of "marriage" is not....its an aspect of societal standards...using the government to change societal standards by force of law is an authoritarian act.....

Interesting spin, I suppose you would consider the Civil Rights Act of 1964 an authoritarian act of government to change societal standards. Correct?

[ditto]

[be nice to foreigners]

It need hardly be said that federal income taxes do not even account for a majority of taxes paid in this country :rolleyes:
10% pay 68.3%......25% pay 85%......50% pay 97%......looks close enough for an argument this size.....got their grapes in your basket?......

Interesting spin, I suppose you would consider the Civil Rights Act of 1964 an authoritarian act of government to change societal standards. Correct?

typical liberal dodge.....pretend gay marriage is the equivalent of black civil rights......

typical liberal dodge.....pretend gay marriage is the equivalent of black civil rights......

It's not? Tell me why.

blacks don't choose to be black......gays choose to want their relationship acknowledged by society as the equivalent of an actual marriage.....nothing prevents them from having whatever type of relationship they want, but they demand public acceptance of it.....

[ditto]

[be nice to foreigners]

10% pay 68.3%......25% pay 85%......50% pay 97%......looks close enough for an argument this size.....got their grapes in your basket?......

I've driven on an interstate highway, if that is what you are asking :rolleyes:

And yet they say our government should operate according to Christian principles. Irony :rolleyes:
I see you did a search and found a list of sins to pin to these Christians who are unafraid to speak of their faith. (albeit the "right wing" singling out throws me?). So that settles it I guess? We are disowned by God, if there is one.

On the other hand, God must be very pleased with your fine work of being the accuser of the brethren.

Forum List

Back