Bible passages that the religious right must pretend do not exist...

Forcing someone to have an unwanted child is an authoritarian act; denying a couple the right to marry is an authoritarian act; the act of gays or lesbians marrying has no impact on straights, and no one is forcing you or anyone to change their beliefs. Feel free to be a bigot, it's a free country.

Forcing someone to cater a gay wedding is an authoritarian act.

Keeping them from getting married at all is even worse.

If much is given, much is required. How exactly are you giving much if all you do is blindly hand the government power over your life?

The only ones that want to do that are Republicans. Think "women's bodies being legislated" and think "gays being second class citizens" and think "voter suppression". In other words "think God dammit, think!"

sure Democrats don't want to give the government any power over our lives. They just vote for policies to do so every day.

Do you have examples? I just gave three.
three bogus ones (see my previous reply).....

Bogus?

"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and Mammon."
-- Matthew 6:24

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
-- Mark 10:25

"Do not mistreat an alien or oppress him"
-- Exodus 22:21

"If you enter your neighbor's vineyard, you may eat all the grapes you want, but do not put any in your basket."
-- Deuteronomy 23:24

"What sorrow for you who buy up house after house and field after field, until everyone is evicted and you live alone in the land."
-- Isaiah 5:8

"If you lend money to one of my people among you who is needy, do not be like a moneylender; charge him no interest."
-- Exodus 22:25

"neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common"
-- Acts 4:32

And yet they say our government should operate according to Christian principles. Irony :rolleyes:

You mean the money hungry right and the money hungry left? The religious right have no problem with the scriptures you posted.

Matthew 6:24 condemns both the money hungry left and the money hungry right. Being rich does not send one to hell. Loving money more than loving God is the problem. Money should be a tool to help the poor and bring them the good news that Christ died for them, loves them, and wants them well so that they can help others rather than just depending on others.

Exodus 22:21 says "Do not mistreat an alien or oppress him". What Exodus 22:21 does not say is to give the alien amnesty nor does this passage address illegal aliens (those willfully breaking the law). The alien mentioned in Exodus 22:21 is still an alien and should behave himself with respect for the rules of law.

Exodus 22:25 says "If you lend..." therefore the point is "If". As Christians you should help the poor expecting nothing in return. What it does not say is that you must help the poor, nor does it say that you should give your money to the government so that they can tell you that they are helping the poor.

Whilst condemning others of "cherry picking" you have committed the same sin yourself. You forgot to mention 2 Thessalonians 3:

For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat. For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies. Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread.
(2 Thessalonians 3:10-12 KJV)

Oh and just for fun....

The vile person shall be no more called liberal, nor the churl said to be bountiful.
(Isaiah 32:5 KJV)

Last edited:
Forcing someone to have an unwanted child is an authoritarian act; denying a couple the right to marry is an authoritarian act; the act of gays or lesbians marrying has no impact on straights, and no one is forcing you or anyone to change their beliefs. Feel free to be a bigot, it's a free country.

Whose stopping them?
We just don't want them forcing us to officially recognize their wedding. That would require accepting their gay behavior.

Tell me the difference between Christians that are religious right vs. Christians that are religious left.

You mean like ones that are conservative vs ones that are liberal? Not really sure, I can't speak for them since I'm not either but my guess would that liberal or "leftist" Christians take a more live and let live approach to people outside their faith whereas conservatives are more like Gismo. They feel like they have to sniff out the sinners wherever they may be.
lol....
JESUS warned sin loving people of the cost of sin=death and hell and sends out his followers to do the same and to also give them the good news of GOD'S love.

The religious right see themselves as commissioned to legislate the specks out of the eyes of their fellow citizens, but feel no need to remove the planks from their own eyes. That is what this discussion is all about.

And you are better?

"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and Mammon."

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

"If you enter your neighbor's vineyard, you may eat all the grapes you want, but do not put any in your basket."

"What sorrow for you who buy up house after house and field after field, until everyone is evicted and you live alone in the land."

"If you lend money to one of my people among you who is needy, do not be like a moneylender; charge him no interest."

"neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common"

And yet they say our government should operate according to Christian principles. Irony :rolleyes:

If you're convinced this is the only meaning your motives lack any true knowledge...

The preceding or following verses to these give the meaning, I find it so sad the angst people have against Christians...

The Book you try to condemn has the easiest and clearest message for mankind's survival and successes...
Nonsense.

The bible is religious dogma relevant solely to its adherents, who are at liberty to believe and practice their faith provided they don't attempt to compel others to believe as they do.

Otherwise, the bible is in no way the 'source' for humankind's 'survival and success,' in fact the opposite is likely true.

So "likely" is your out?

Good luck with that...

Hope you change before you meet your maker...

To people such as the OP, serving God and not Government is unacceptable. Funny how they rail against the Christian faith, but use their own holy book to justify their positions.

Agitator? Are you a Christian? No? Then why quote the Bible?

Mammon is Government, Government is not God. Mammon and Government are indistinguishable.

It is easier for a dog to speak than for a Liberal to quote the Bible in context.

Do not quote the Bible out of context:

"Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God."
--Romans 13:1

We have laws, obeying the law where it doesn't impede God's will is the Christian thing to do. An illegal should be made to do the same by obeying the law.

It is truly amazing how people mold their deity according to their own prejudices. Just like all the dupes cheering in Berlin Sportpalast. Disgusting.

To put it more simply, the passages speak to "the mutual duty of all to practice Christian forbearance, love, and charity towards each other"

Whereas, the religious right is concerned with imposing on "dictates of conscience."

If, however, you do believe in the separation of Church and State, then this does not apply to you.

I don't want simple, I want you to explain what you think each verse you quoted means, and why anyone has to ignore them. You made the claim explain it, or admit that all you have is your personal intolerance toward what you think other people believe.

I mean must as in you MUST be joking, not as in you MUST kiss my backside.

I could be wrong though, they may just be unaware that those are in there because they either have not read them, they lack the basic reading comprehension to understand what they are clearly saying, or just have forgotten that they ever read them. If that is the case, I'm offering a refresher.

[means that greedy people are not right with God]

[ditto]

[be nice to foreigners]

[seeking basic sustenance isn't a crime, but don't overly burden any one person]

[Again, greed is not good]

[Do not exploit your neighbor on account of his/her socio-economic status]

[a description of the early Church. Just threw that in for contrast]
I can see why you believe Christianity is opposed to greed....but I am curious why you don't realize the "secular left" is more greedy than the "religious right".....after all isn't increasing taxes on those that already pay 90% of the taxes an example of taking your neighbors grapes away in a basket?.....

And what group pays 90% of taxes?
I forget the specific level, but for the sake of argument, the top 10% of earners pay 90% of federal income taxes.....

Is that what they say on the "news"?

Summary of Latest Federal Income Tax Data Tax Foundation

It need hardly be said that federal income taxes do not even account for a majority of taxes paid in this country :rolleyes:
10% pay 68.3%......25% pay 85%......50% pay 97%......looks close enough for an argument this size.....got their grapes in your basket?......

I've driven on an interstate highway, if that is what you are asking :rolleyes:
if you didn't want to discuss the matter, why did you start the thread?....when you're done dodging, I'm here....

If much is given, much is required. How exactly are you giving much if all you do is blindly hand the government power over your life?

The only ones that want to do that are Republicans. Think "women's bodies being legislated" and think "gays being second class citizens" and think "voter suppression". In other words "think God dammit, think!"

sure Democrats don't want to give the government any power over our lives. They just vote for policies to do so every day.

Do you have examples? I just gave three.
three bogus ones (see my previous reply).....

Bogus?
do you need a definition?.....

people have a right to jump up and down and wave their arms....but the government doesn't require us to pay attention to them........gays have the right to have any relationship they want, but the government shouldn't require us to pay any attention to them.....
they aren't seeking equality, they are seeking attention......

It is truly amazing how people mold their deity according to their own prejudices. Just like all the dupes cheering in Berlin Sportpalast. Disgusting.

"You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do." Anne Lamott

You mean the money hungry right and the money hungry left? The religious right have no problem with the scriptures you posted.

Matthew 6:24 condemns both the money hungry left and the money hungry right. Being rich does not send one to hell. Loving money more than loving God is the problem. Money should be a tool to help the poor and bring them the good news that Christ died for them, loves them, and wants them well so that they can help others rather than just depending on others.

Exodus 22:21 says "Do not mistreat an alien or oppress him". What Exodus 22:21 does not say is to give the alien amnesty nor does this passage address illegal aliens (those willfully breaking the law). The alien mentioned in Exodus 22:21 is still an alien and should behave himself with respect for the rules of law.

Exodus 22:25 says "If you lend..." therefore the point is "If". As Christians you should help the poor expecting nothing in return. What it does not say is that you must help the poor, nor does it say that you should give your money to the government so that they can tell you that they are helping the poor.

Whilst condemning others of "cherry picking" you have committed the same sin yourself. You forgot to mention 2 Thessalonians 3:

For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat. For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies. Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread.
(2 Thessalonians 3:10-12 KJV)

Oh and just for fun....

The vile person shall be no more called liberal, nor the churl said to be bountiful.
(Isaiah 32:5 KJV)

You can't quote the Bible and then decide you know what it means. You aren't that smart.

Matthew 6:24
No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

This is what you said:

No one was condemned. It was just pointed out that you can't serve "stuff" (mammon) and God. It's one or the other. And poor people were never mentioned. Worse, Christ died for everyone, not just the poor. And being helped includes depending.

You are so fucked up. You need to go to some class or talk to someone who is knowledgeable. You sound like you are trying to balance talking points, but don't have the sense to step back and take an impartial look at your bullshit.

"You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do." Anne Lamott
You can safely assume that stupid people almost always quote other stupid people saying stupid shit.

You can safely assume that stupid people almost always quote other stupid people saying stupid shit.

Resorting to ad hominem attacks shows only that you're at loss for an actual answer to what he said.

Forum List

Back