Bible passages that the religious right must pretend do not exist...

One of my all time favorites:

(Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

Don't give them ideas. They are bad enough with just their ultrasound wands :p

That doesn't make sense.

Left = Progressive = authoritarian fascists

Um. No.

You are in denial bro.

Leftists = Progressives = Authoritarian Statists

And you still haven't answered my message bro. I'm kinda butthurt to be honest lol.
But no you are wrong. One of our greatest presidents was a progressive. The man responsible for the UN and he would've prevented WW2 if Congress had stood by him.

So the guy who was sending out Federal agents to destroy food, while people were starving.... was the 'greatest' president? The guy who in the middle of the great depression, pass policies so bad, that they had a recession in the middle of the depression, sending unemployment back up to where it was at the start of the depression, he was the greatest?

The guy who supposedly ended the depression, only by drafting unemployed males into the military, and the rest employed by the military industrial complex, was the greatest president? The guy whose rationing of food, rationing of clothes, rationing of consumer goods, lowered the standard of living across the entire country, he was the greatest president we have ever had?

I can't think of any reasonable measure, where FDR was 'the greatest'.

I was talking about Wilson. Learn your presidents bro.

you threw him off when you said UN instead of League of Nations......

That doesn't make sense.

Left = Progressive = authoritarian fascists

Um. No.

You are in denial bro.

Leftists = Progressives = Authoritarian Statists

And you still haven't answered my message bro. I'm kinda butthurt to be honest lol.
But no you are wrong. One of our greatest presidents was a progressive. The man responsible for the UN and he would've prevented WW2 if Congress had stood by him.

So the guy who was sending out Federal agents to destroy food, while people were starving.... was the 'greatest' president? The guy who in the middle of the great depression, pass policies so bad, that they had a recession in the middle of the depression, sending unemployment back up to where it was at the start of the depression, he was the greatest?

The guy who supposedly ended the depression, only by drafting unemployed males into the military, and the rest employed by the military industrial complex, was the greatest president? The guy whose rationing of food, rationing of clothes, rationing of consumer goods, lowered the standard of living across the entire country, he was the greatest president we have ever had?

I can't think of any reasonable measure, where FDR was 'the greatest'.

I was talking about Wilson. Learn your presidents bro.

you threw him off when you said UN instead of League of Nations......

I suppose you're right. Though the LoN gave rise to the UN so without Wilson we wouldn't have the UN. He's ultimately responsible. But I can see where there'd be confusion.

To put it more simply, the passages speak to "the mutual duty of all to practice Christian forbearance, love, and charity towards each other"

Whereas, the religious right is concerned with imposing on "dictates of conscience."

If, however, you do believe in the separation of Church and State, then this does not apply to you.

I don't want simple, I want you to explain what you think each verse you quoted means, and why anyone has to ignore them. You made the claim explain it, or admit that all you have is your personal intolerance toward what you think other people believe.

To put it more simply, the passages speak to "the mutual duty of all to practice Christian forbearance, love, and charity towards each other"

Whereas, the religious right is concerned with imposing on "dictates of conscience."

If, however, you do believe in the separation of Church and State, then this does not apply to you.

I don't want simple, I want you to explain what you think each verse you quoted means, and why anyone has to ignore them. You made the claim explain it, or admit that all you have is your personal intolerance toward what you think other people believe.

I mean must as in you MUST be joking, not as in you MUST kiss my backside.

I could be wrong though, they may just be unaware that those are in there because they either have not read them, they lack the basic reading comprehension to understand what they are clearly saying, or just have forgotten that they ever read them. If that is the case, I'm offering a refresher.

"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and Mammon."
-- Matthew 6:24

[means that greedy people are not right with God]

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
-- Mark 10:25

[ditto]

"Do not mistreat an alien or oppress him"
-- Exodus 22:21

[be nice to foreigners]

"If you enter your neighbor's vineyard, you may eat all the grapes you want, but do not put any in your basket."
-- Deuteronomy 23:24

[seeking basic sustenance isn't a crime, but don't overly burden any one person]

"What sorrow for you who buy up house after house and field after field, until everyone is evicted and you live alone in the land."
-- Isaiah 5:8

[Again, greed is not good]

"If you lend money to one of my people among you who is needy, do not be like a moneylender; charge him no interest."
-- Exodus 22:25

[Do not exploit your neighbor on account of his/her socio-economic status]

"neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common"
-- Acts 4:32

[a description of the early Church. Just threw that in for contrast]

"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and Mammon."

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

"If you enter your neighbor's vineyard, you may eat all the grapes you want, but do not put any in your basket."

"What sorrow for you who buy up house after house and field after field, until everyone is evicted and you live alone in the land."

"If you lend money to one of my people among you who is needy, do not be like a moneylender; charge him no interest."

"neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common"

And yet they say our government should operate according to Christian principles. Irony :rolleyes:

If you're convinced this is the only meaning your motives lack any true knowledge...

The preceding or following verses to these give the meaning, I find it so sad the angst people have against Christians...

The Book you try to condemn has the easiest and clearest message for mankind's survival and successes...

Tell me the difference between Christians that are religious right vs. Christians that are religious left.
The former are, for the most part, hostile to Establishment Clause jurisprudence. They seek to conjoin church and state by enacting legislation predicated on religious dogma – such examples would be efforts to repeal public accommodations laws beneficial to gay Americans and advocacy of 'defense of marriage' acts as well as 'personhood' legislation.

The latter reflect Christians who correctly understand that although they are at liberty to practice their faith as they see fit, they are not at liberty to seek to codify that religious dogma into secular law; they understand and respect the fact that there are those who are not Christian, who do not believe as they do, and that all Americans are free to live their lives without being compelled by the state to conform to subjective religious tenets that conflicts with their beliefs.

And yet they say our government should operate according to Christian principles. Irony :rolleyes:

If you're convinced this is the only meaning your motives lack any true knowledge...

The preceding or following verses to these give the meaning, I find it so sad the angst people have against Christians...

The Book you try to condemn has the easiest and clearest message for mankind's survival and successes...
Nonsense.

The bible is religious dogma relevant solely to its adherents, who are at liberty to believe and practice their faith provided they don't attempt to compel others to believe as they do.

Otherwise, the bible is in no way the 'source' for humankind's 'survival and success,' in fact the opposite is likely true.

If much is given, much is required. How exactly are you giving much if all you do is blindly hand the government power over your life?

The only ones that want to do that are Republicans. Think "women's bodies being legislated" and think "gays being second class citizens" and think "voter suppression". In other words "think God dammit, think!"

sure Democrats don't want to give the government any power over our lives. They just vote for policies to do so every day.

If much is given, much is required. How exactly are you giving much if all you do is blindly hand the government power over your life?

The only ones that want to do that are Republicans. Think "women's bodies being legislated" and think "gays being second class citizens" and think "voter suppression". In other words "think God dammit, think!"

sure Democrats don't want to give the government any power over our lives. They just vote for policies to do so every day.

Avatar offers an opinion in response to actual examples. Maybe he would be so kind as to list the policies he claims which prove, "Democrats don't want to give the government any power over our lives. They just vote for policies to do so every day"

Post the policy which proves your claim, Avatar; start with Monday and post four more such policies for the week ending yesterday.

Both sides are guilty of this.

I could be wrong though, they may just be unaware that those are in there because they either have not read them, they lack the basic reading comprehension to understand what they are clearly saying, or just have forgotten that they ever read them. If that is the case, I'm offering a refresher.

[ditto]

[be nice to foreigners]

[seeking basic sustenance isn't a crime, but don't overly burden any one person]

I can see why you believe Christianity is opposed to greed....but I am curious why you don't realize the "secular left" is more greedy than the "religious right".....after all isn't increasing taxes on those that already pay 90% of the taxes an example of taking your neighbors grapes away in a basket?.....

????.....believing its wrong to kill your unborn children is a bad thing?..........using the courts to redefine marriage to conform to YOUR beliefs is NOT an example of using the government to force things on people?......

One of my all time favorites:

(Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

Yeah that's a pretty good one. Now let's put in historical context of the society.

At that time for the woman who was raped, no man would marry her. A single woman's life was very very hard and brutal at that time in history and culture.

Therefore, it was a good way to punish the man who raped, and to ensure that woman's future livelihood so that she would neither starve to death nor live the rest of her life in abject poverty.

How is asking you to explain yourself a joke? If I posted something you thought was bullshit wouldn't you ask for an explanation? Or would you just attack me because actual debate is not something you engage in?

Trust me on this, you are wrong.

Close enough for a guy that picks verses at random without actually taking the time to put them into the context of the entire Bible.

[ditto]

Not quite.

Many people thought that wealth was a sign of God's blessing at the time Jesus was walking the Earth. The problem came when people put that wealth ahead of God. It is not a sin to be rich, despite your insistence otherwise. The sin is in not using that wealth the right way.

[be nice to foreigners]

Rather simplistic, but understandable.

The real message is to be kind to those who live as your neighbors, even if they do not share your beliefs, a lesson many people, including you, have not learned.

Does that mean you want to make it legal for someone to walk into a store and take food for their own use? If not, you are the hypocrite here, not the Christians who freely share through food banks and handing out meals to homeless people.

In other words, stop trying to pretend you are better than other people simply because you don't like them.

Overly simplistic.

The Song of the Vineyard is about all the people who pursue pleasure over a relationship with God, not just greedy ones.

Actually, that verse applies to Jews dealing with other Jews, hence the reference to My people. It also has nothing to do with how much money they have, it is a blanket prohibition against usury, even if the person you are lending money to can afford it.

Only to the extent you forgot to mention that this was all done by choice, and that Peter actually told people that their money belonged to them, not the church.

Tell you what, when you start living by all these principles you expect others to adhere to, feel free to come back and preach at those who do not. Until you do, you just make yourself into the world's biggest hypocrite.

Last edited:
The former are, for the most part, hostile to Establishment Clause jurisprudence. They seek to conjoin church and state by enacting legislation predicated on religious dogma – such examples would be efforts to repeal public accommodations laws beneficial to gay Americans and advocacy of 'defense of marriage' acts as well as 'personhood' legislation.

The latter reflect Christians who correctly understand that although they are at liberty to practice their faith as they see fit, they are not at liberty to seek to codify that religious dogma into secular law; they understand and respect the fact that there are those who are not Christian, who do not believe as they do, and that all Americans are free to live their lives without being compelled by the state to conform to subjective religious tenets that conflicts with their beliefs.

Clayton once again tries to tie everything to the government, what a surprise.

Avatar offers an opinion in response to actual examples. Maybe he would be so kind as to list the policies he claims which prove, "Democrats don't want to give the government any power over our lives. They just vote for policies to do so every day"

Post the policy which proves your claim, Avatar; start with Monday and post four more such policies for the week ending yesterday.

Wry offers drivel to counter actual facts.

Obamacare

Gun Control

War on drugs

Shall I continue, or do you get the point?

Do you have examples? I just gave three.

Do you have examples? I just gave three.
three bogus ones (see my previous reply).....

Forum List

Back