Late 70s Steelers

84 and 89 49ers

1992 Cowboys

1999- Rams

1998-,Denver

1991 Redskins

1985 Bears*

2007 - Patriots

*It's hard t/b more dominating than the '85 Bears holding the Patriots to Neg. Ydg. in the 1st half of Super Bowl XX! That team should've ruled the late 80's, but we've never gotten it together concerning a QB! They had a chance to draft Mahomes, but passed! McMahon the last w/ a heart of a Bear (Lion) to take them to a SB win traded away! :rolleyes: :heehee::p:oops::stir:

I would go 85 Bears too

They just terrorized their opponents. You could see the fear in their eyes

You know how you channel surf between the game and other fare? Normally you watch the offense of your favorite team! It was the other way around here in Chicago! The Defense was more entertaining! They could sack a QB on cons. plays, knocking them out; sometimes needing the 3rd stringer to get in there! That '85 team officially took over as America's Team, embarrassing The Cowboys 44-0 at Texas Stadium clinching a playoff birth (11-0)! :eek: :rolleyes::oops::stir:

I would go 85 Bears too

They just terrorized their opponents. You could see the fear in their eyes
It foolish to try to pick a single team. I like using the boxing analogy when it comes up. Hagler, Hearns and Leonard. Hagler, in my view was the best of the 3. Legendary career, 70 fights or so, three losses, and he could put the hurt on someone like few others. Herns was just a cut below. Just when you think you could hit him with your right... he’d lean back and you’d miss his jaw by 10 inches. Then of course, his left would come over the top and boom.

However, Sugar Ray Leonard is considered (maybe correctly) as the best of the three. He looked better doing it. Had a very impressive win loss record and had some style.

I think the 85 Bears and the 89 49ers were stand-ins for Hagler/Hearns (Bears) and Sugar Ray (49ers). There were times when the 49ers just made you look silly trying to defend them. And Da-Bearz made you cry. That 44-0 dismantling of the Cowboys was epic.

I don’t recall the full verbiage of the long-forgotten website but there used to be one about the “Dallas Cryboys”--his word not mine. The synopsis of the game on the site said something along the lines of...

“Mike Ditka, not wanting to embarrass his former mentor, put in the fourth string after building a substantial lead in the first two quarters. It was the only thing he tried all day that didn’t work.” Ouch!

Anyway...I like substance over style... I paid homage to the substance. Now I’ll admire the style. Joe Montana was asked by someone before the super bowl with the Broncos--I think it was one of the higher ups in the 49ers organization--“how many points do you think we can score”. Montana responded, “as many as we want.”

Hard to bet against the Montana era 49ers but if there is a better team, it’s the 85 bears.

It foolish to try to pick a single team. I like using the boxing analogy when it comes up. Hagler, Hearns and Leonard. Hagler, in my view was the best of the 3. Legendary career, 70 fights or so, three losses, and he could put the hurt on someone like few others. Herns was just a cut below. Just when you think you could hit him with your right... he’d lean back and you’d miss his jaw by 10 inches. Then of course, his left would come over the top and boom.

However, Sugar Ray Leonard is considered (maybe correctly) as the best of the three. He looked better doing it. Had a very impressive win loss record and had some style.

I think the 85 Bears and the 89 49ers were stand-ins for Hagler/Hearns (Bears) and Sugar Ray (49ers). There were times when the 49ers just made you look silly trying to defend them. And Da-Bearz made you cry. That 44-0 dismantling of the Cowboys was epic.

I don’t recall the full verbiage of the long-forgotten website but there used to be one about the “Dallas Cryboys”--his word not mine. The synopsis of the game on the site said something along the lines of...

“Mike Ditka, not wanting to embarrass his former mentor, put in the fourth string after building a substantial lead in the first two quarters. It was the only thing he tried all day that didn’t work.” Ouch!

Anyway...I like substance over style... I paid homage to the substance. Now I’ll admire the style. Joe Montana was asked by someone before the super bowl with the Broncos--I think it was one of the higher ups in the 49ers organization--“how many points do you think we can score”. Montana responded, “as many as we want.”

Hard to bet against the Montana era 49ers but if there is a better team, it’s the 85 bears.
Also, I remember the 49ers were playing on Monday Night Football one evening. And they were just dismantling their opponent. I don't recall if it was 89 or not but at one point, Dan Dierdorf said something like, "Say it with me...'so many weapons'...". I think they had just ran a play where it was an end-around with the tight end taking the hand off and scoring on a run or something. I seem to remember another time where they said (watching the 49ers)..."this is almost cruel".

which was the best ???

Late 70s Steelers

84 and 89 49ers

1992 Cowboys

1999- Rams

1998-,Denver

1991 Redskins

1985 Bears

2007 - Patriots
Nope, that would be the Cincinnati Bengals

Sure, they have never won a Super Bowl, but they don't have to just to prove they are, were, and will continue to be the best.

That my friend is what you call confidence.

And guess what, they will never change. Why? You guess it, the "C" word.

Also, I remember the 49ers were playing on Monday Night Football one evening. And they were just dismantling their opponent. I don't recall if it was 89 or not but at one point, Dan Dierdorf said something like, "Say it with me...'so many weapons'...". I think they had just ran a play where it was an end-around with the tight end taking the hand off and scoring on a run or something. I seem to remember another time where they said (watching the 49ers)..."this is almost cruel".

I have the same view when asked if Montana or Brady was the GOAT

Montana had so many tools and knew how to use them.
He had the best receiver of all time in Jerry Rice. Take that away and he had John Taylor, almost as deadly.
Take away his receivers and he would pick you apart with Roger Craig or his TE.

Brady had a bunch of average receivers who executed the system. Remove one and someone took his place

1991 Redskins. A very underrated team.

#2 Defense in the league. #1 Offense in the league. Brian Mitchell returned something like 7 lPunts/Kickoffs for TD. PK Chip Lohmiller outscored an entire team (Indy). 3 Shutouts during the regular season. Their average game was something like a 17 point win and that went UP in the postseason.

I have the same view when asked if Montana or Brady was the GOAT

Montana had so many tools and knew how to use them.
He had the best receiver of all time in Jerry Rice. Take that away and he had John Taylor, almost as deadly.
Take away his receivers and he would pick you apart with Roger Craig or his TE.

Brady had a bunch of average receivers who executed the system. Remove one and someone took his place
I give Brady the nod on that argument. Part of QB'ing is being able to throw the ball downfield; to the sidelines, etc... with some accuracy. I think most QB's have some talent in that regard otherwise they wouldn't be a quarterback to start with. The larger value of a QB in today's game is when they can internalize the game plan and execute it. Brady, I think, did that better than anyone else. Montana did it well too. But he didn't have the Bradyshield2000® and defenses are better. The days of the Fridge and Gilbert Brown are sort of gone. Everyone is bigger and faster.

IMHO, I have to say the Steelers.

They had some ferocious defensive teams during their era of dominance.
Jack Lambert, "Mean Joe"Greene, LC Greenwood, and Jack Ham...those guys were no joke.

And even though Bradshaw was just OK, he had great support surrounding him.

Jack Lambert, "Mean Joe"Greene, LC Greenwood, and Jack Ham...those guys were no joke.

Terry Bradshaw won 4 SB's in 6 years & dominated the Cowboys, but never got much credit for it due to the Steeler's huge cast of characters w/ an "Iron Curtain" defense! :heehee: :eek::rolleyes: :oops::stir:

Those Steeler teams were dominant. They only allowed 13 pts a game.
Bradshaw was better and smarter than he is given credit for.
He had Lynn Swann and Stallworth to throw to as well as Franco in the backfield

Average receivers?
  • Gronk HOF, likely the most dominant TE in NFL history
  • Edelman All-Pro likely HOF
  • Welker All Pro possibly HOF
  • Before his legal issues, Hernandez was an All Star TE
  • An actually-motivated Randy Moss for a year

GTFO with that BS narrative

Average receivers?
  • Gronk HOF, likely the most dominant TE in NFL history
  • Edelman All-Pro likely HOF
  • Welker All Pro possibly HOF
  • Before his legal issues, Hernandez was an All Star TE
  • An actually-motivated Randy Moss for a year

GTFO with that BS narrative

Not to mention, most of those "great" comebacks or wins occurred by way of a FG Kicker! :rolleyes: :stir::dunno:

Not to mention, most of those "great" comebacks or wins occurred by way of a FG Kicker! :rolleyes: :stir::dunno:
He took over on an already-set Super Bowl contender and had a legendary, All-Pro/HOF-filled Defense for those first 3 Super Bowls. They dragged him to success largely. He game managed well, but he wasn’t an elite QB at that time. He didn’t become a stud until 2006-2007 time period.

The 1970’s Vikings with the purple people eaters and Fran Tarkenton were all-time great, just never put together a great showing on the day of the Super Bowl. That D only gave up like 9-10 points per game and Tarkenton was the first “modern” QB who scrambled and flung the ball around all over the yard. It’s almost impossible they didn’t win at least one trophy, but that’s sports.

Forum List

Back