Best Mouth & Eye-Watering Spicy Liquors

Shadow

Silver Member
Aug 16, 2008
Land Of Enchantment
The Best Mouth and Eye-Watering Spicy Liquors

It is said that variety is the spice of life, but sometimes change itself doesn't provide quite enough kick. Instead, people add extreme sports like skydiving or Zorbing. Others travel, searching for inspiration in the excitement of faraway lands. And there are still others touched by equal measures of bravery, intestinal fortitude and sheer insanity who light metaphorical fires in their bellies through the application of massive amounts of Scoville units – the metric used to measure the heat of a chile. Not surprisingly, liquor distillers have stepped up to this hot plate to service potential customers who are dedicated to experiencing the heat of a thousand suns on their tongues.

Virtually every spicy spirit on the market qualifies as an infusion – leeching its heat from one or more varieties of hot peppers. But each distiller takes a different approach to bringing the spice. Some, like Absolut Peppar, first bottled in 1986, use the heat as an accent. Others are more than happy to put searing flames to taste buds, using scotch bonnet and habanero peppers like a Bieber-loving tween uses glitter. Either way, they can make for great cocktails, not to mention bar bets that seem like a good idea at the time.

Masochistic games, aside, what's most surprising with this category liquor is actually how versatile it are. Since the vast majority of these spirits are vodka or tequila based, they can easily serve as shooters. Bloody Marys are a natural fit as well. But the chile-born heat works in a wide range of drinks. Screwdrivers benefit from a spike of heat to balance out the sweet citrus. Martinis get more interesting with fire and a few olives. Even the Cosmo could deal with a drop of the spicy stuff to give it a refresh. Mixologists themselves are recognizing just how handy a dose of heat can be in cocktails, infusing their own spirits with proprietary mixes of chiles. Luckily for the rest of us, we don't have to don latex gloves to mix up our own – we can just bounce on down to the liquor store and pull one of these bottles off the shelf.

The Best Mouth and Eye-Watering Spicy Liquors - FoxNews.com

I don't care for flavored coffee, or flavored booze.

But I do like coffee- booze.

patron_cafe_300.jpg

• Banned
See...coffee tequilla sounds much better to me. I just don't undertand why one would want to put hot sauce in their liquor?

Forum List

Back