Best Health Care, Huh?

No, it doesn't.

People bankrupt themselves.

BTW: The average bankruptcy (which is all or partially driven by health care costs) is about the cost of a good used car (20 grand).

Seems to me that people need to pay their bills. Declaring bankruptcy over 20 grand is cowardly.

So people choose to get sick and bankrupt themselves?

USA and Canada both system have to similar but USA system as well best i think.

:(

The US system sucks.

Gee, I don't know about that [MENTION=38085]Noomi[/MENTION], it works pretty good for me.

In fact, just this month I was on vacation for a week and a half on an east coast island, and silly me, I forgot to bring my blood pressure medicine. I visited a local clinic and explained my situation. Had an exam from the nurse and spent about 10 minutes talking to him, then spent about 10 minutes talking to the doctor and she wrote me a prescription for the medicine. I was in and out of the clinic in 35 minutes, my cost was $20. I got the prescription filled at the local pharmacy for $4.
I'd call that "fantastic", not "sucks" as far as medical care service and results go.

The US system sucks.

Gee, I don't know about that [MENTION=38085]Noomi[/MENTION], it works pretty good for me.

In fact, just this month I was on vacation for a week and a half on an east coast island, and silly me, I forgot to bring my blood pressure medicine. I visited a local clinic and explained my situation. Had an exam from the nurse and spent about 10 minutes talking to him, then spent about 10 minutes talking to the doctor and she wrote me a prescription for the medicine. I was in and out of the clinic in 35 minutes, my cost was $20. I got the prescription filled at the local pharmacy for $4.
I'd call that "fantastic", not "sucks" as far as medical care service and results go.

Sounds like in your case you got a good deal, there.

The US system sucks.

You're arguing with someone who couldn't find the US on a map with both hands.

No, it doesn't.

BTW: The average bankruptcy (which is all or partially driven by health care costs) is about the cost of a good used car (20 grand).

Seems to me that people need to pay their bills. Declaring bankruptcy over 20 grand is cowardly.

Not if you are earning minimum wage which is $14k per annum.

The US system sucks.

Sounds like in your case you got a good deal, there.

What, because you think that's out of the norm?

Five ways the American health care system is literally the worst

The United States comes in dead last in a new, international ranking of health care systems from a top health-care non-profit.

This doesn't mean that we're the worst in the world; there are plenty of less-developed countries that have worse systems than America's. But when the United States is compared against peer countries like France and Canada it does not come out well. It comes out the very worst.

A new Commonwealth Fund report looks at how the United States stacks up against other countries on things like access to doctors and quality of care. It pulls from three separate surveys conducted over the past three years: a 2011 survey of sicker patients, a 2012 survey of doctors and a 2013 survey of adults over 18. It also uses health outcome data from the OECD and World Health Organization. This means it captures the experience of the medical system from the people who use it a lot, those who use it a little and the doctors treating them.

America ranks worst overall

The American health care system came in last both in the overall rankings, which pull together data on 11 specific measures of success for a health care system. This includes metrics like how easily residents can access health care, if that medical care is affordable and if its effective.

There was no measure where the United States came in first place — our best ranking was coming in third in the effectiveness of our medicine (more on what this means later).

more at link

Five ways the American health care system is literally the worst - Vox

It is the worst because it sends people bankrupt.

That is a load of poppycock based on abuse of statistics.

The study the "bankrupt due to health bills" meme came about because people who are descending into bankruptcy usually don't pay any of their bills, including ones to doctors and hospitals. Minor bills for office visits are counted in the stats.

In reality, people go bankrupt due to having more debt than their incomes can handle. The government has enabled this situation via promoting mortgages and student loans to people who will never be able to afford the debt load. That has absolutely nothing to do with health care.

No, it doesn't.

I guess you can't provide proof of that claim, huh?

Here's a more accurate analysis of bankruptcy:

Zhu says that over-consumption, overspending and households that simply live beyond their means are the primary factors that wreck finances and lead to bankruptcy. When household budgets are stretched to the limits and beyond, a single adverse event such as an illness or layoff can immediately lead to bankruptcy. While many bankruptcies may be triggered by these adverse events, the true cause of the bankruptcies is overspending, according to the study.

The study determined that patterns of spending and over-consumption influence the likelihood of filing bankruptcy. A high ratio of mortgage debt to household income, credit card debt to household income and credit card debts to household income are all factors contributing to bankruptcy filings.

On top of the debt to income ratio, medical conditions and illnesses raise the probability of bankruptcy by approximately 50 percent. However, divorce and unemployment have little impact on whether or not someone ends up filing bankruptcy.

The results of the study indicate that consumers strategically choose to file bankruptcy after overspending, rather than being forced into filing bankruptcy by adverse events.

It seems that people do not generally adjust spending in order to avoid bankruptcy. The study showed that in the households which file bankruptcy, more than five percent own at least one luxury vehicle. Mortgage debt is also high in bankrupt households and credit card debt is often equal to an entire year's income.

When consumers overspend and live beyond their means and then experience an adverse event, the study found that they are likely to file Chapter 7 bankruptcy because they do not have the ability to repay their debts. Chapter 7 bankruptcy allows these consumers to have their debts discharged with no obligation to repay them....

Study: Overspending the Main Cause of Bankruptcy

It is the worst because it sends people bankrupt.

No, it doesn't.

Not if you are earning minimum wage which is $14k per annum.

We know you think you're entitled....

But I know folks who make less than 14K, have more debt and would die before declaring banrkuptcy.

They have a sense of honor.

Here's a more accurate analysis of bankruptcy:

Zhu says that over-consumption, overspending and households that simply live beyond their means are the primary factors that wreck finances and lead to bankruptcy. When household budgets are stretched to the limits and beyond, a single adverse event such as an illness or layoff can immediately lead to bankruptcy. While many bankruptcies may be triggered by these adverse events, the true cause of the bankruptcies is overspending, according to the study.

The study determined that patterns of spending and over-consumption influence the likelihood of filing bankruptcy. A high ratio of mortgage debt to household income, credit card debt to household income and credit card debts to household income are all factors contributing to bankruptcy filings.

On top of the debt to income ratio, medical conditions and illnesses raise the probability of bankruptcy by approximately 50 percent. However, divorce and unemployment have little impact on whether or not someone ends up filing bankruptcy.

The results of the study indicate that consumers strategically choose to file bankruptcy after overspending, rather than being forced into filing bankruptcy by adverse events.

It seems that people do not generally adjust spending in order to avoid bankruptcy. The study showed that in the households which file bankruptcy, more than five percent own at least one luxury vehicle. Mortgage debt is also high in bankrupt households and credit card debt is often equal to an entire year's income.

When consumers overspend and live beyond their means and then experience an adverse event, the study found that they are likely to file Chapter 7 bankruptcy because they do not have the ability to repay their debts. Chapter 7 bankruptcy allows these consumers to have their debts discharged with no obligation to repay them....

Study: Overspending the Main Cause of Bankruptcy

The argument is that there is some statistic for medical bankruptcy. What I never see is how much of the BR is due to medical bills or if the medical bills were just the straw that broke the camel's back.

How is it that Obama cancel's "junk plans" which WERE NOT junk.

Then I read about some plans offered through the exchange that have 25,000 deductible....is that possible. That is more than the average medical bankruptcy. Seems like Obama and Co need to rewrite the script. This show is gonna get cancelled.

Are we ready to declare the OP another case of Schillian flatulence, get out the air spray, and put the thread to rest ?

what it measures is ACCESS. if you can't OBTAIN health care, then it doesn't matter how effective, safe, coordinated or patient-centered the care is.

so yes, i'd choose columbia pres/ny hospital cornell over almost anything in the world if i needed a hospital (or mass general or johns hopkins, etc.) but if you earn $100,000 a year and your care is going to cost $300,000 then it doesn't matter how good the doctors are.

as for it meaning how many people who go to a doctor have a successful resolution, what else would you measure health care by some fantasmagircal make believe standard where you chant USA USA?

how about the right stop being defensive about the things we don't do well... and start solving problems?

oh right... that would mean thought, and a desire to solve those problems and actually govern.

never mind.
A flat out lie. Every American has access to healthcare. No medical facility can turn a person away on the basis of anything.

Care is not measured by access. It is measured by outcome.

We rank # 1 in the world.

Too bad for you little hate America thread.

Please provide a list of all those who turned up at the ER needing a heart transplant in order to survive and received one without any insurance or the ability to pay for it.

I know a guy works for a friend of mine who had a heart attack. He was airlifted to university of Michigan hospital for emergency surgery ..he had no insurance. And this stupid cut and paste op is a joke :cuckoo:

A flat out lie. Every American has access to healthcare. No medical facility can turn a person away on the basis of anything.

Care is not measured by access. It is measured by outcome.

We rank # 1 in the world.

Too bad for you little hate America thread.

Please provide a list of all those who turned up at the ER needing a heart transplant in order to survive and received one without any insurance or the ability to pay for it.

I know a guy works for a friend of mine who had a heart attack. He was airlifted to university of Michigan hospital for emergency surgery ..he had no insurance. And this stupid cut and paste op is a joke :cuckoo:
You paid for his surgery, but you can bet he didn't have a heart transplant.

None of those pathetic responses refutes the idea that we have the best medical system when it comes to delivering timely and effective treatment.

None of those pathetic responses refutes the idea that we have the best medical system when it comes to delivering timely and effective treatment.

And your data to back that claim?

And your data to back that claim?

Good luck with getting an answer. :popcorn:

My answer is "Fuck you." Whenever libs cannot refute something they pull that crap. Then when the evidence is produced they either dispute the source or move the goalposts.
Go find it yourself. It's well documented enough.

Forum List

Back