Belief in God 'childish,' Jews not chosen people: Einstein letter

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Shogun, May 13, 2008.

1. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Albert Einstein described belief in God as "childish superstition" and said Jews were not the chosen people, in a letter to be sold in London this week, an auctioneer said Tuesday.

The father of relativity, whose previously known views on religion have been more ambivalent and fuelled much discussion, made the comments in response to a philosopher in 1954.

As a Jew himself, Einstein said he had a great affinity with Jewish people but said they "have no different quality for me than all other people".

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish.

"No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this," he wrote in the letter written on January 3, 1954 to the philosopher Eric Gutkind, cited by The Guardian newspaper.

The German-language letter is being sold Thursday by Bloomsbury Auctions in Mayfair after being in a private collection for more than 50 years, said the auction house's managing director Rupert Powell.

In it, the renowned scientist, who declined an invitation to become Israel's second president, rejected the idea that the Jews are God's chosen people.

"For me the Jewish religion like all others is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions," he said.

"And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people."

And he added: "As far as my experience goes, they are no better than other human groups, although they are protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power. Otherwise I cannot see anything 'chosen' about them."

Previously the great scientist's comments on religion -- such as "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind" -- have been the subject of much debate, used notably to back up arguments in favour of faith.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080513122249.m3ds3b6j&show_article=1

[​IMG]

2. LOki

LOki The Yaweh of Mischief

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +585
    HAHA! Way to go...Einstein.

3. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    That's because we Puerto Rican Austrian Americans are the chosen people, you didn't know that?

4. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    lol... good. you take over. :rofl:

5. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    That is a neat thread but there are also scientists who believe in Jesus Christ. Appealing to “authority” does not prove anything one way or the other. Einstein might be right on science and wrong on theology.

6. Shogun

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Im not suggesting that Einstein's views proved anything. But, I do find his words richer than any confection i've had in a while. I absolutely agree with both points he made.

7. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    Of course you liked it...

but Einstein said a lot of things about religion, not just AGAINST judaism:

so it's not so much that he didn't believe in spirituality, it's just he didn't believe in a personal G-d.

http://www.spaceandmotion.com/albert-einstein-god-religion-theology.htm

8. Shogun

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    wrap it up in whatever package you want to receive it, yo. Seems to me he was referring to being religous about science rather than validating any kind of higher supernatural power. Science does not test "childish superstitions", you see.

oh, and his opinion of the chosen status of jews is quite antisemitic, wouldn't you say?

9. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Didn't Einstein have an affair with his niece? (Or was that Hitler? I can't remember, lol).

Despite his gifted abilities in some areas, I'd hardly consider him an expert in matters of humanity, God, etc.

10. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,110
    I was always taught that the reason the Jewish were called God's "Chosen People" is because they were ''Chosen to be the keepers of the Word of God''...and Christians, were "grafted unto their tree" thus are part of their family....hahahahahahaha....of course I am not certain the Jews accept this grafting of Christians in to their family tree, but basically all of this was meant to be talking about the Spiritual and not the physical....

Care