Bee Colony Collapse mystery solved?

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009

Top European Food Safety Agency Names Suspects for Bee Colony Collapse | Food Safety News

By Dan Flynn
January 18, 2013

Europe’s top food safety agency may be closer to nailing three old suspects for a mystery that goes back almost a decade: what’s been killing off honeybees? But there is still work to do.

For now, the European Food Safety Authority (EFDA) has concluded that three neonicotinoid class insecticides pose unacceptable hazards to bees. The three include clothianidin, imidacloprid and thiamethoxam.

The three insecticides — approved for use in the United States — are said to damage bees by contaminating dust and collecting as residue on nectar and pollen, the new EFSA report says.

<snip>

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has declined requests from activist groups to remove the neonicotinoids class of insecticides from the American market.

<snip>

Don't tell me that insecticides caused the decline in the Honey bee population because that is just bull shit from typical anti-American environ-junkies. I had several bee hives and in my area there were no insecticides used. Everyone in the industry knows that a form or mites that invade the bee esophagus caused the decline of the honey bee population. A strip of insecticide inside the hive prevented the mite infestation but I didn't want to use it and stopped raising bees.

Don't tell me that insecticides caused the decline in the Honey bee population because that is just bull shit from typical anti-American environ-junkies. I had several bee hives and in my area there were no insecticides used. Everyone in the industry knows that a form or mites that invade the bee esophagus caused the decline of the honey bee population. A strip of insecticide inside the hive prevented the mite infestation but I didn't want to use it and stopped raising bees.

Do you know if that strip worked?

I signed that petition, as did 2.5 million other people. A study came out in the UK that the pesticides had decimated the bee population by around 1/3, and it has been leaked by an inside whistleblower that Monsanto is now trying to kill off natural bees and indroduce GM bees that only pollinate their own crops (ie must be BOUGHT from Monsanto by farmers). This company is destroying this planet's biodiversity and must be stopped NOW!

By the way, it isn't a full ban, but a 2 year ban on these to see if the bee population bounces back. Also, what did Monsanto do when the damning report about their bee-killing pesticides came out in the US? They BOUGHT the research company. Convenient, yes?

Last edited:
Good. I hope the decision is reversed. It is sickening what this company is allowed to get away with. Didn't you just love that little rider on the farm bill making it illegal to SUE them? God, when you look up "evil corporation" in the dictionary, they get a whole page unto themselves.

I had several bee hives and in my area there were no insecticides used.

How do you know? Did you know that the home-use pesticides made by Monsanto and Bayer contain up to 200x more of a concentration that commercial sprays? Those insecticides and Round UP can be bought in Home depot, and most dumb Americans buy this shit and spray it on everything. Bees forage up to 5 miles away from their hives - how do you know there aren't a bunch of homeowners around you spraying? And it has also been proven that these pesticides make the bees more susceptible to viruses and the mites by lowering their immune systems.

Last edited:
I had several bee hives and in my area there were no insecticides used.

How do you know? Did you know that the home-use pesticides made by Monsanto and Bayer contain up to 200x more of a concentration that commercial sprays? Those insecticides and Round UP can be bought in Home depot, and most dumb Americans buy this shit and spray it on everything. Bees forage up to 5 miles away from their hives - how do you know there aren't a bunch of homeowners around you spraying? And it has also been proven that these pesticides make the bees more susceptible to viruses and the mites by lowering their immune systems.

Multiple Choice Answer:

A) They don't live in "an evidence based world"
B) ODS
C) Rightwing blinders.
D) All of the above

Good. I hope the decision is reversed. It is sickening what this company is allowed to get away with. Didn't you just love that little rider on the farm bill making it illegal to SUE them? God, when you look up "evil corporation" in the dictionary, they get a whole page unto themselves.

Repubs support everything Monsanto does because, the bottom line is not the health of our people or the health of our planet. All they care about is money.

I always wonder if Repubs or R voters have children.

Repubs support everything Monsanto does because, the bottom line is not the health of our people or the health of our planet. All they care about is money.

I always wonder if Repubs or R voters have children.

Both Dems and Repubs are all about the money.
Money is what is pushing and running Washington D.C. these days.
All both parties care about is getting re-elected and making money.
Neither party cares about us. It's all about money and power.

I think it's great that you "think"/recognize climate change is having a negative affect on humans, and-----and that climate change is problematic enough, right now-----right now in 2013, to affect the Earth's bio-diversity in ways that could have a major impact on the Earth's ability to supply food for it's human population, et al.

The key to the PDF article you linked to is: "In a context of climate change". I find it unlikely that climate change would be killing off the bee population without nature naturally replacing that population via natural selection, i.e. as the article you linked to states: "In a context of climate change, the variability of the honey bee’s life history traits as regards temperature and the environment shows that the species possesses such plasticity and genetic variability that this could give rise to the selection of development cycles suited to new environmental conditions.

Although we do not know the precise impact of potential environmental changes on honey bees as a result of climate change, there is a large body of data at our
disposal indicating that environmental changes have a direct influence on honeybee development."

The European honey bee, Apis mellifera, is the most economically valuable
pollinator of agricultural crops worldwide. Bees are also crucial in maintaining
biodiversity by pollinating numerous plant species whose fertilisation requires
an obligatory pollinator. Apis mellifera is a species that has shown great adaptive
potential, as it is found almost everywhere in the world and in highly diverse
climates. In a context of climate change, the variability of the honey bee’s life history
traits as regards temperature and the environment shows that the
species possesses such plasticity and genetic variability that this could give rise
to the selection of development cycles suited to new environmental conditions.
Although we do not know the precise impact of potential environmental changes
on honey bees as a result of climate change, there is a large body of data at our
disposal indicating that environmental changes have a direct influence on honey
bee development. In this article, the authors examine the potential impact of
climate change on honey bee behaviour, physiology and distribution, as well as
on the evolution of the honey bee’s interaction with diseases.
Conservation measures will be needed to prevent the loss of this rich genetic
diversity of honey bees and to preserve ecotypes that are so valuable for world
biodiversity.

I think it's great that you "think"/recognize climate change is having a negative affect on humans, and-----and that climate change is problematic enough, right now-----right now in 2013, to affect the Earth's bio-diversity in ways that could have a major impact on the Earth's ability to supply food for it's human population, et al.

The key to the PDF article you linked to is: "In a context of climate change". I find it unlikely that climate change would be killing off the bee population without nature naturally replacing that population via natural selection, i.e. as the article you linked to states: "In a context of climate change, the variability of the honey bee’s life history traits as regards temperature and the environment shows that the species possesses such plasticity and genetic variability that this could give rise to the selection of development cycles suited to new environmental conditions.

Although we do not know the precise impact of potential environmental changes on honey bees as a result of climate change, there is a large body of data at our
disposal indicating that environmental changes have a direct influence on honeybee development."

The European honey bee, Apis mellifera, is the most economically valuable
pollinator of agricultural crops worldwide. Bees are also crucial in maintaining
biodiversity by pollinating numerous plant species whose fertilisation requires
an obligatory pollinator. Apis mellifera is a species that has shown great adaptive
potential, as it is found almost everywhere in the world and in highly diverse
climates. In a context of climate change, the variability of the honey bee’s life history
traits as regards temperature and the environment shows that the
species possesses such plasticity and genetic variability that this could give rise
to the selection of development cycles suited to new environmental conditions.
Although we do not know the precise impact of potential environmental changes
on honey bees as a result of climate change, there is a large body of data at our
disposal indicating that environmental changes have a direct influence on honey
bee development. In this article, the authors examine the potential impact of
climate change on honey bee behaviour, physiology and distribution, as well as
on the evolution of the honey bee’s interaction with diseases.
Conservation measures will be needed to prevent the loss of this rich genetic
diversity of honey bees and to preserve ecotypes that are so valuable for world
biodiversity.

AGWCult has to be deprogrammed

Forum List

Back