Obama moves to save the honey bees, targets pesticides

How did I miss that?

Please provide the reference that supports the ridiculous assertion that European honeybees were imported to the USA because they increase crop yields by 36.3 percent.

I will wait. I'm looking forward to the scientific journal from 1750 or so that published this fascinating factoid.

Sorry about the confusion. I posted inflation adjusted percent increase instead of crop yield increase. I corrected the post shortly after but you had already quoted it.

Here is what I meant to say:

European honeybees increase crop yields up to 14 percent more than indigenous insects. Other indigenous pollinators are also decreasing.

Imagine food price when there is 14 percent less food on the shelf & population is increasing.

Honey Bees increase US honey & crop production by up to $20 billion a year. That is 14% of the $143 billion worth of crops produced here in the USA. It is likely the same for production globally.

Last edited:
I believe the Honey Bee issue will get fixed with Clinton Global Initiative Commitment on Honey Bee Health with Monsanto's purchase of Beeologics.

Monsanto/Beeologics may use gene silencing phenomenon to disrupt the negative effects of the Varroa mite that is killing the Bees. Or they will build a better GMO Honey Bee.

Bee Keepers in California have been breeding their Honey Bees to survive the Varroa mite. They have taken their 70% Honey Bee population losses down to 20%.

Yup.

The world will not cease to exist if European honeybees in North America, where they ARE NOT NATIVE...get mites.

I feel so sorry for the poor fools who live their lives on the edges of their seats, certain that at ANY MINUTE there is going to be a terrible man-made disaster that is going to kill everyone on the planet and cause universal wildfires.

And yet they don't realize how incredibly arrogant that is.

Man does not have the power to destroy the planet. When the destruction of this world comes, it will not be because of bees, it will be Christ's second coming..and it will be destruction on a scale they can't even begin to comprehend.

I feel sorry for the pathetic creatures living in the dark. What a cold, scary place.

I feel so sorry for the poor fools who live their lives on the edges of their seats, certain that at ANY MINUTE there is going to be a terrible man-made disaster that is going to kill everyone on the planet and cause universal wildfires.

Man does not have the power to destroy the planet. When the destruction of this world comes, it will not be because of bees, it will be Christ's second coming..and it will be destruction on a scale they can't even begin to comprehend.

I feel sorry for the pathetic creatures living in the dark. What a cold, scary place.

are you serious?.....

Yup.

If man could destroy the planet, he would have done.

It isn't going to happen. Quit staying up nights imagining it.

With Honey Bee Keeping cost rising killing Honey profits, the Bee Keepers may need to charge for their yield boost benefits.

This is a problem for government.

Honey Bees do not follow farm property lines & pollinate gardens, nature preserves, forest, flowers, yards, etc. of 33,000 acres within a 4 mile radius of the hive.

Honey Bee Keeping is providing free benefits to society. It is a legitimate use of a few tax dollars if when needed.

Last edited:

Woah, what century did you post this from?

Yup.

Yet, you think a guy who died thousands of years ago is going to come back?

:eusa_pray:

Yup.

This is like saying a house cant be burned to the ground because if it could it would've happened already :lol:

According to what? IDK :lol:

With Honey Bee Keeping cost rising killing Honey profits, the Bee Keepers may need to charge for their yield boost benefits.

Honey Bees do not follow farm property lines & pollinate gardens, nature preserves, forest, flowers, yards, etc. of 33,000 acres within a 4 mile radius of the hive.

Honey Bee Keeping is providing free benefits to society. It is a legitimate use of a few tax dollars if when needed.

We aren't talking about a few tax dollars, though that is fodder for a conversation right there.

We're talking about restricting an entire industry and potentially reducing the productivity of the farms that raise food for the entire world.

Honey in the US is not an important enough industry. These aren't even native bees. We will lose fewer crops if the bees die off (AND there's no indication they're going to) than we will if we stop the use of pesticides.

Yup.

Man can destroy life as we know it on the planet. We have enough Nukes to kill most of the life on the planet. We can also create diseases to wipe out human populations. We can kill everyone with pesticides. We can create some bad mutations with genetics. We can set off Nuclear Super Emp's to destroy the power grid & electronics.

Yes, A small number of people could wipe out your life & the human race.

We aren't talking about a few tax dollars, though that is fodder for a conversation right there.

We're talking about restricting an entire industry and potentially reducing the productivity of the farms that raise food for the entire world.

Honey in the US is not an important enough industry. These aren't even native bees. We will lose fewer crops if the bees die off (AND there's no indication they're going to) than we will if we stop the use of pesticides.

Who says we are banning pesticides in the USA? Where has it been proven pesticides are killing the Honey Bees? UK reports a ban on Neonicotinoids pesticides may reduce wheat yields by 4%. So if the EPA does prove a link, then it's better to not buy a costly insecticide that will kill Honey Bees reducing all crops by 14%.

However Gene Silencing could prove to be a better pest control method than Pesticides.

Gene Silencing would also be a legitimate government function & use of tax dollars. Because pest also do not follow boundaries.

Last edited:
It's funny..the loons are claiming that a mite infestation of a non-native bug can kill the world...

but they're laughing because I believe in Jesus.

European honeybees. An introduced species.

Here's a bag, breathe into it. We aren't all going to die because European honey bees in the US have mites.

Why is it that conservatives ALWAYS extrapolate to the point of ridiculousness?

Will we all die? No.

Will the abundance, and availability, and the affordability of our food supply be negatively affected? Yes.

Is that a good thing? No.

Do we WANT that to happen. Anybody with any damn sense wouldn't want it to happen and would try to prevent it from happening as opposed to just standing by and doing nothing to hopefully prevent it from happening.

Preventing disasters, like preventing illness, is just plain smart. That's one of the purposes of gov't. It's the collective action of people (communities) to work together to prevent damage from floods. That's why communities hopefully restrict building in traditional flood plains with building permits. That's why we build sewer systems and other places to collect rainfall and direct it away from population centers. That's why we do contingency planning, and provide vaccines to prevent illness, and put lightning rods on buildings, and mandate standards to prevent electrical shock when putting in electricity in newly constructed buildings. That's why we have fire suppression systems, and fire sprinklers, and fire alarms.

But people like you who hate gov't just for the sake of hating it can't see the forest for the trees.

Uh huh.

I see a huge disaster around the corner if you loons have your way and eradicate pesticides.

I see no disaster if European honeybees (which are recovering nicely from their mite issue, thanks) are wiped out in the USA.

Hm. Disaster guaranteed, vs. no disaster at all...hm mmmmmm

Your first complete sentence only serves to confirm the truth of my question which is how I led off my previous post. Your post, as a reflection of your stated fears, is little more than alarmist claptrap. You see, worrying about the plight of honeybees when it comes to colony collapse disorder is a real problem in the real world whereas worrying about the possibility of banning all pesticides is not a realistic concern in the real world. That's because, to my knowledge, no serious people are proposing that. While it's perfectly reasonable to restrict pesticides to certain uses under certain conditions, that's not the same thing as banning them outright.

In fact, most conservative fears seem to be a reflection of an overactive imagination when it comes to talk of tyranny, and an Obama dictatorship. But for some unfathomable reason, any threats that have a scientific basis in fact (like climate change, for example) are met by conservatives with the most dismissive attitude one can imagine. It's like you guys perceive ghosts in the dark that can't be seen by the human eye, but you can't imagine that there's hidden dangers in the jungle in the middle of the day if you can't see it with your own eyes.

Last edited:
They already show their stuff.

Retards like you don't even know they exist. You thought that the EUROPEAN honey bee was native to North America.

It's not. It's an introduced species, the "white man's fly". And like most introduced species, it goes through times when it is struggling.
But it doesn't pollinate many of our native crops anyway. Like tomatoes and squash, for example. Beans. Etc.

What you have are a bunch of gentleman farmers who like to keep bees, who are upset that people who actually produce the lion's share of the world's food use pesticides that may..or may not...affect their little pitiful hobby hives.

As always. It's the elitists attempting to control industries they know absolutely nothing about.

Kosh you were doing ok until you said this...
What you have are a bunch of gentleman farmers who like to keep bees, who are upset that people who actually produce the lion's share of the world's food use pesticides that may..or may not...affect their little pitiful hobby hives.

you do realize that those "hobby" Bees are responsible for something like 30% of the food crops ...and if 1 or 2 of those insecticides is fucking with them it could very easily affect the wild bees as well as the other Pollinators....

Except...

it's not the insecticides that's fucking with them..it's a type of mite.

And it's not affecting the native populations.

And the 30 percent figure is what I think that Statist was trying to wrap his mouth around when he made the ridiculous claim that we imported bees because they would increase crops by that amount..it's an iffy figure, really hard to calculate, really hard to determine if the crops WOULD truly fail, or not.

Whereas..we know they will fail without insecticides. There is absolutely no doubt about it....

Leftist environmentalist know-nothings. They like to mess with the flora and fauna, then complain when things go wrong.

The EUROPEAN HONEYBEE is not native to this country. We have other honey bees that ARE native to this country..however they don't produce as much HONEY.

This is all about HONEY. HONEY producers are trying to create a panic because their INVASIVE, non-native bees are difficult to keep going.

Too bad. We aren't going to eliminate pesticides because you guys didn't make a killing off your farmer's market honey last year. Buck up. Get a real job.

except the pesticide was for the mite you fucking ignorant moron. The mite became resilient to the pesticide and thus it hasnt worked. There is no need to use pesticides.

Furthermore the mite is just one of a few issues causing hive collapse you waste of human life.

but you go on trolling as if you have any real clue as to what you are talking about.
the only pesticides that should be used, should bepumped inside your house, while sealed in a bubble.

It's funny..the loons are claiming that a mite infestation of a non-native bug can kill the world...

no we are laughing because you are just stupid. because every thread you come into you just embarrass yourself. Thats not even mentioning the fact that you cry about how all liberals do is insult people and then you go on to insult people anyways. You are a troll and nothing more. You make the internet that much more stupid for being on it. You make the world a sadder place because you are alive.

no we are laughing because you are just stupid. because every thread you come into you just embarrass yourself. Thats not even mentioning the fact that you cry about how all liberals do is insult people and then you go on to insult people anyways. You are a troll and nothing more. You make the internet that much more stupid for being on it. You make the world a sadder place because you are alive.

^^Creepy stalker.

Back to the topic.

As I have shown, the people who think the world is going to cease to turn because the imported bees in North America have mites are nothing more than hysterical know-nothings.

The bees that were dealing with the mites are not native to North America, and at any rate are recovering. Even if they weren't, we would be fine without them.

So the hysteric pro-invasive-bug fanatics can go back to waiting for the next manmade disaster that they are sure will kill them off. Back to "man made global warming" I guess. You can probably drag that out for a few more years before even the most ridiculous of you realize it just isn't happening.

Forum List

Back